The best Gaming operating system.

Sparkells

I was wondering what is your view on the best Operating system.

-Linux

-Windows Xp

-Vista

-Mac

-Other.

I'm wondering which you guys prefer. Also i'm building a simple computer for a little gaming/programming etc.. What would you recommend?

Want to learn about computers etc? Join my forum today it's completely dedicated to Technology and Gfx etc...

http://z11.invisionfree.com/The_Tech_Korner/index.php

For gaming probably XP. Most stuff will work with vista but there is probably some older stuff not patched up yet.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Operating system.

-Linux

Not good at all as all windows games have to run through WINE

-Windows Xp

Refined drivers and fixed bugs. XP is the best until Vista's drivers are fixed and DX10 come into its own

-Vista

Still needs work doing to the drivers, but they are getting better. Remember Vista is the only OS to use the new DX10 which will be need for game in the not to soon future

-Mac

Never used a mac before. From what I've heard they are getting close to being as good as XP gaming wise

-Other.

XP is currently the best for games, but Vista will eventually be as good and then better when DX10 games start rolling out.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Hmm thats a good review.. Well i for one don't like vista i have heard it's a bit of a Memory pig..

It may be a memory pig but it's a lot faster than XP in many things, besides gaming but thats not Vista's fault. It's all the drivers that aren't mature.

Don't bash Vista till you have tried it. Don't go by what other people say because they probably just jumped on the Vista bashing bandwagon.

goldenblade995.png

Mac and Windows XP are almost equal, but Windows XP has many more games, so don't get a Mac if you play lots of games.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I presently use vista, and games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 run fine. However, there are a lot of game I own that will not run either correctly or not at all on Vista, this is why I have dual boot with XP on the 2nd drive. I'm not using a boot manager, I just select the other HDD in BIOS.

As mentioned already, Vista uses DirectX10 which will never be available for XP, so quite soon, newer games will not be XP compatible.

To sum up: Vista and XP are a close favourite. XP presently has the edge due to more available games, but this will change as companies release vista patches, drivers and newer games use DX10.

As mentioned already, Vista uses DirectX10 which will never be available for XP, so quite soon, newer games will not be XP compatible.

Games will still be XP compatible but will not run in dx10 mode. They will use dx9 which games will be supporting for many years. Look at dx7 which is still being supported in some games.

goldenblade995.png

Not to be argumentative, as I'm sure you're quite knowledgable when it comes to computers but...

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/downloa ... y-project/

A few "teams" have been working on reverse engineering Direct X 10 to run on Windows XP. So although it's not an official MS release, you will be able to use and run DX10 compatible games in XP.

I reckon they'll have a full release by the time DX10 games are mainstream. Or MS will give up and release a version of their own.

Edit: So overall, XP is the best gaming platform for the PC. Or if you can set it up correctly 2000 is a contender too. Main reason being there's a lot less crap included in the OS from first install. A lot of benchmarkers use 2000 because of this. Just to squeeze out those last 10 points.

But definately, stick with XP. It's more user friendly. :P

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Vista.

It's the only one that supports directx 10.0.

Xp is only up to 9c.

http://worldofghosts.co.uk

- ghost/paranormal site

http://extreme-mobile.com - mobile phone website , support and chat

http://top92.net - fast submission directory

Vista.

It's the only one that supports directx 10.0.

Xp is only up to 9c.

Wrong:

Read This

Wrong:

Both those games still use dx9 but have an operating system requirement of Vista. It's something Microsoft put in to sell more copies of Vista. If they were dx10 games, it would be a different story.

goldenblade995.png

win xp for gaming

linux lacks the gaming part, but it does work well on it

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

What good games are on Mac or did you mean using boot camp so you can play Windows games on it?

If your using boot camp, you are using windows.

Games that are usualy on mac are games that run on opengl and not dx9/10. The reason for this is maxosx does not support dx and it does support opengl. Games like doom3 and quake4 are examples of this and are on macs.

goldenblade995.png