The Ethics of Advertising in Game?

hexagons

After reading through the Jagex Corporate Site, under advertising, I spied this:

Beyond the banner

Jagex will always consider proposals that go beyond-the-banner for larger organisations looking to establish high recognition rates with our audience profile. Sponsorship and in game advertising offer exciting and cost effective ways to reach our audience with positive association of the RuneScape brand.

If I have read that properly, Jagex is, with a reasonable price, offering the chance to have adverts ingame

Now, would this mean random people coming up to you, with a website and company name in hand? Or would it involve a new area, called "Company - Ville" Or even, a new quest, for exampled.

"Quest of the McDonalds"

What are your thoughts on this possible future of runescape? How would it be implemented?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about this the other day. I think it would be great to raise revenue, and I'd imagine it to be like a soccer match. By this I mean you have billboards on the sidelines somewhere in-game (most likely a highly populated area like Falador or Varrock) and put the company's name on there/have it animate or something.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

I think theyve already started to do this...

The banners in front of ardougne castle resemble some british company's flag if I remember correctly...

If it doesn't have the name in it, I doubt it's an advertisment. I'm pretty sure the company wouldn't pay them for inferring their company's logo, especially if people may not know it.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

i bet its just the advertisements on the site... or runescape classicr.

walking around 3 hitting people in the wilderness suddenly you get a guy that makes you stand there and not do anything while he's telling you about how match.com is just for you then you get 3 hit.

then wonder why jagex can implement that in rsc but not a rsc high scores list

I knew I remembered it from somewhere.

Sure enough, from the bottom of "Letters #11: Zamorak Loves Letters":

"Just pures wrote to say "In runescape there should be some freshing drinks like sprite coca-cola and fanta"

Which amused me no end, as the number of pathetic complaints about the adverts that surround the free players game would undoubtedly increase if runescape started to have brand name products within the game.

An excellently evil idea, that I fear the council would never approve of.

If however any well known drinks manufacturers would like to contact me personally with large offers of gold, I will happily have Iban open a shop in their name..."

The banners in front of ardougne castle resemble some british company's flag if I remember correctly...

I believe Citroen are French :P

citroenrs9cx.jpg2002_citroen.gif

sig2ho7.jpg

I'm sure goldenpalace.com will show up in runescape somewhere soon

Whether or not they should be advertising isn't an ethics question really, it's their game they can do what they want. now if they said they were considering advertising smoking ingame, that'd be different

That's what I was thinkin' of, too (and I just happened to be watching highlights of the Rally of Sweden at a bar, so the logo was fresh in my mind).

Ahh, having commercials like that in runescape will be very lame and disturbing in my opinion. Runescape is (supposed to be) a medevil game. I don't want to see any commercials in my medevil games!

Oh and besides, what can they advertise without making the product look extremely lame and not connected to the game?

• 1 month later...

That's what I was thinkin' of, too (and I just happened to be watching highlights of the Rally of Sweden at a bar, so the logo was fresh in my mind).

Maybe its a form of subliminal messaging, it doesn't actaully sell you the product... but it puts the logo in your head. Then you see it at the store and you like "oh, neato!" :)