Stopping time (yay more physics topics!)

Google90

I was just day dreaming this morning about stopping time...

Then one of the pictures in this post gave me an idea for a topic.

I wake up in the morning and think "I want to stop time, and everything around me, but myself"

But then there's the dilemma, am I still aging while everything around me is "frozen" in time?

Say I do that every morning for the 4 years of highschool. I "freeze" time every morning, for just two extra hours of sleep.

So there are 900 (180 a year) school days from freshman through junior

year. 900 days times 2 hours is 1800 hours. I would be 1800 hours older than I originally would be :ohnoes:

Thats around 2.5 months. What if you did that EVERY day of your live?

I've thought about this myself (had the idea for years actually). Not scientifically or anything, just as a cool power that breaks every physical law I can think of.

For me, I thought of it this way- I could erase a few hours of my life, in say the summer, when I get bored. I would just freeze up from noon to five, being careful to make sure no one came in contact with me at the time (or only those that did, if I mention the ability to my family). Then after saving up a couple dozen, maybe even a hundred hours of time that I didn't need in the summer, during the school year I could "cash them in" any time I needed extra time to say, study, get more sleep, make sure I'm not late to something, etc.

It's kind of a fair trade- I can't freeze time for everyone else unless I've freezed myself for at least as much time.

Dunno, it's completely illogical in matters of physics, but it would be a very useful ability for transfering wasted time to extra time when I need it :) .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

You can't stop time, but I think it may be possible to warp space to where time is normal to you, but to anyone outside of the "bubble," it would appear that time is extremely decelerated [for you].

Yes, I watched the final episode of Stargate SG-1. I don't really like science fiction that much, so I'm most likely not going to watch another sci-fi program.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I've thought about this myself (had the idea for years actually). Not scientifically or anything, just as a cool power that breaks every physical law I can think of.

For me, I thought of it this way- I could erase a few hours of my life, in say the summer, when I get bored. I would just freeze up from noon to five, being careful to make sure no one came in contact with me at the time (or only those that did, if I mention the ability to my family). Then after saving up a couple dozen, maybe even a hundred hours of time that I didn't need in the summer, during the school year I could "cash them in" any time I needed extra time to say, study, get more sleep, make sure I'm not late to something, etc.

It's kind of a fair trade- I can't freeze time for everyone else unless I've freezed myself for at least as much time.

Dunno, it's completely illogical in matters of physics, but it would be a very useful ability for transfering wasted time to extra time when I need it :) .

When I was a kid I took the idea from an old Discovery Kids' show called Bernard's Watch. This kid, Bernard, had received a watch which gave him the ability to stop and resume time at will. I always dreamt about it, because that ability would simply allow me to do almost anything I wanted.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

When I was a kid I took the idea from an old Discovery Kids' show called Bernard's Watch. This kid, Bernard, had received a watch which gave him the ability to stop and resume time at will. I always dreamt about it, because that ability would simply allow me to do almost anything I wanted.

You are actually quite limited. Everyone and everything is frozen in time. You can't drive a car (gas molecules are frozen in place, etc) and you couldn't even turn on any lights or use a flashlight since every subatomic particle is also frozen. All you could really do was walk around or sleep. You can't use anything that uses electricity or any complex machine. Heck you probably couldn't even move things like people if they were truly frozen in time. You would be lucky if you could even open a door :XD:

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

:(

I hate you, Trapical... You just smashed my most infantile, yet profound dreams... :cry:

Nah... Of course I know it's physically illogical, but that was the reasoning I had as a kid. (Instead of driving a car, I'd simply walk wherever I need to, resting when I have to, giving me the power of teleporting!)

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Dunno, it's completely illogical in matters of physics, but it would be a very useful ability for transfering wasted time to extra time when I need it .

Now that would be great.

If you think about it though, you wouldn't be able to breathe because the air molecules couldn't move. Mind you, how about there is a 'time bubble' around you, in which time still flows, so you can operate things if they can fit into the bubble?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I've thought this, i have a weird ability to sort of go into "auto pilot" mode. If im in a lesson i'll sit there doing the work (if its a note taking lesson) and go out of my auto pilot when the lesson is over, i've not noticed the hour go past but i've done all the work.

Its not the same as day dreaming and i can go a long while without getting bored of anything because i'm not "thinking", i suppose this would be useful for a repetative job. :lol:

Theres a man who says hes been into the future through a sink in his kitchen, and he met his older self there.

Heres the link:

I think he went into the future. I mean isnt it a bit far-fetched? And how could he record himself with a mobile phone there either? (have you also noticed how good the quality of it is :? )

Oh, and if this WAS true, then wouldnt it be all over the news or something?

Damn, I went into this thread thinking that there would be discussion about quantum stuff.

Theoretically, you can "stop" everything around you by travelling at light speed.

If you want to know more, read a book about this stuff. I read Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It's just some light reading, nothing too advanced, but I'll have to say, it's pretty enlightening. He gives an analysis of something like what Lavignator mentioned- stopping your own birth or seeing your older self(cannot be younger yet, all hypothetical time machines only go from the time it's built into the future).

mysig31ha.png