What the programs do

MageUK

So you want to know what the packages I post for download to help removal do? You're in the right place.

I've posted here a simple idea of what they do, and further down, one for someone who is more familiar with programming. Both programs are coded by myself in C++.

Simple

The first program in the ZIP, "RUNFIRST[Caution: Executable File]", will insert what is called a "Registry Key" into your system, this will allow the second program (XXXXRemove[Caution: Executable File], where XXXX are letters), to run after reboot before anything else does. This means that right after you log on, or after you see the "Loading your profile settings..." etc, the second program will run right then. The second program then deletes the keylogger and any files associated with it, if it is successful then your PC will be clean.

Technical

The first program, "RUNFIRST[Caution: Executable File]" uses simple Windows API calls to do two things. The first checks that the second file exists using "GetFileAttributes()", if the file exists, the program will then put a registry key in place, telling windows to run the second file after reboot, this is done using the Reg* API functions. The second program can be changed easily by me to remove either files or directories, depending on what the specific keylogger leaves behind, usually it's a simple directory deletion, but sometimes it drops files into sensitive areas where we can't just delete that directory. It will check each file exists and if it does, delete it, if not, it will return an error of either "DOES NOT EXIST", or "FAILED". Once the files are deleted, the system should be clean.

Hope this gives a little explanation on how everything works.

Thanks for posting instructions! :)

Might I suggest stickying it?

You never saw this topic not stickied, it was a figment of your imagination... :roll:

:-$ Yes... master...

Darn I should have taken a screenshot! #-o I can see the headlines now "tip.it staff doesn't sticky important topic!"

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Thanks for posting instructions! :)

Might I suggest stickying it?

You never saw this topic not stickied, it was a figment of your imagination... :roll:

:-$ Yes... master...

Darn I should have taken a screenshot! #-o I can see the headlines now "tip.it staff doesn't sticky important topic!"

Lol, Now thats important news :XD:

I've not had much problems with keyloggers, as I use two very useful programs.

AVG Free is my anti-virus software and AdAware SE Personal is my spyware killer. Both have served me well.

Not that I am saying you don't know what you are talking about - those other programs help as well. :D

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

AdAware: http://www.lavasoft.com

Retired from RuneScape as of November 10th 2007.

orc_male120x.gif

This is what I am doing now. | My Website | My RuneScape Programs

Redman, you considered upgrading to Adaware 2007?

Thanks for this, useful coupla pieces of software. I remember when my account was stolen because I had a keylogger. I only realised I had a keylogger because I kept getting alerts saying that an email was being sent, coming from a program I had never heard of - the keylogger program actually alerted me when it was sending my strokes back to the hacker - oh the audacity!!!

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger. :P

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Enjoy the program, it does miracles.

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Need a countdown? Don't know where to find one? http://www.pending.me.uk/

Retired TET leader.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to say that AVG is good, but extremely resource heavey.. .they all are nowadays... norton for example takes about 30% proccessor and ram while its not even doing anything!

I prefer antivir...

VERY low footprint... I can play runescape again :D

I hate people that still say AVG is good. It was at the beginning of the year, but it doesn't mean it still is. In fact, now it's one of the worse, joining Norton and McAfee.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this, useful coupla pieces of software. I remember when my account was stolen because I had a keylogger. I only realised I had a keylogger because I kept getting alerts saying that an email was being sent, coming from a program I had never heard of - the keylogger program actually alerted me when it was sending my strokes back to the hacker - oh the audacity!!!

I know this post is old, but since I am browsing, I figured I'd reply.

AVG8 now removes spyware, so I no longer use AdAware. Anyway, I found AdAware 7 to be a bit buggy - it always crashed whenever it ran an update check. :\

'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger

No offence, but I hate that pile of ... y'know.

I installed it once, and the next thing I know my hard drive is corrupted. Full of spyware.

Retired from RuneScape as of November 10th 2007.

orc_male120x.gif

This is what I am doing now. | My Website | My RuneScape Programs

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old, but since I am browsing, I figured I'd reply.

AVG8 now removes spyware, so I no longer use AdAware. Anyway, I found AdAware 7 to be a bit buggy - it always crashed whenever it ran an update check. :

'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger

No offence, but I hate that pile of ... y'know.

I installed it once, and the next thing I know my hard drive is corrupted. Full of spyware.

Correlation, not causation. Spyware doesn't corrupt harddrivers, either.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you so much! I've never been keylogged and fingers crossed I never will be but damn this is epic guide. Appreciate it sir.

Sometimes I think even AVG can't help and sometimes it disturbs me a lot.Maybe anti-spyware will be better.

AVG is a bad antivirus, I wouldn't use it, Use MSE or Avast instead.

• 6 months later...