Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What the programs do

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MageUK
[ Display Name History ]

MageUK

Behind You

• Administrators
  • 2,371 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Pure_MageUK
So you want to know what the packages I post for download to help removal do? You're in the right place.

I've posted here a simple idea of what they do, and further down, one for someone who is more familiar with programming. Both programs are coded by myself in C++.

Simple

The first program in the ZIP, "RUNFIRST.exe", will insert what is called a "Registry Key" into your system, this will allow the second program (XXXXRemove.exe, where XXXX are letters), to run after reboot before anything else does. This means that right after you log on, or after you see the "Loading your profile settings..." etc, the second program will run right then. The second program then deletes the keylogger and any files associated with it, if it is successful then your PC will be clean.

Technical

The first program, "RUNFIRST.exe" uses simple Windows API calls to do two things. The first checks that the second file exists using "GetFileAttributes()", if the file exists, the program will then put a registry key in place, telling windows to run the second file after reboot, this is done using the Reg* API functions. The second program can be changed easily by me to remove either files or directories, depending on what the specific keylogger leaves behind, usually it's a simple directory deletion, but sometimes it drops files into sensitive areas where we can't just delete that directory. It will check each file exists and if it does, delete it, if not, it will return an error of either "DOES NOT EXIST", or "FAILED". Once the files are deleted, the system should be clean.

Hope this gives a little explanation on how everything works.

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
Thanks for posting instructions! :)

Might I suggest stickying it?
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

MageUK
[ Display Name History ]

MageUK

Behind You

• Administrators
  • 2,371 posts
  • RSN:Pure_MageUK

You never saw this topic not stickied, it was a figment of your imagination... :roll:

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

You never saw this topic not stickied, it was a figment of your imagination... :roll:

:-$ Yes... master...

Darn I should have taken a screenshot! #-o I can see the headlines now "tip.it staff doesn't sticky important topic!"
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Bluejayfan94
[ Display Name History ]

Bluejayfan94

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • RSN:Bluejayfan94

:-$ Yes... master...

Darn I should have taken a screenshot! #-o I can see the headlines now "tip.it staff doesn't sticky important topic!"

Lol, Now thats important news :XD:

Redman4933
[ Display Name History ]

Redman4933

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 135 posts
I've not had much problems with keyloggers, as I use two very useful programs.

AVG Free is my anti-virus software and AdAware SE Personal is my spyware killer. Both have served me well.

Not that I am saying you don't know what you are talking about - those other programs help as well. :D

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

AdAware: http://www.lavasoft.com
Retired from RuneScape as of November 10th 2007.

Posted Image

This is what I am doing now. | My Website | My RuneScape Programs

Hobgoblin11
[ Display Name History ]

Hobgoblin11

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,206 posts
Redman, you considered upgrading to Adaware 2007?

Thanks for this, useful coupla pieces of software. I remember when my account was stolen because I had a keylogger. I only realised I had a keylogger because I kept getting alerts saying that an email was being sent, coming from a program I had never heard of - the keylogger program actually alerted me when it was sending my strokes back to the hacker - oh the audacity!!!
99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength
Posted Image

deejay_hr
[ Display Name History ]

deejay_hr

Retired TET Leader

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • RSN:deejay_hr
I'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger. :P

http://www.safer-net...g/en/index.html

Enjoy the program, it does miracles.
Posted Image
Need a countdown? Don't know where to find one? http://www.pending.me.uk/
Retired TET leader.

jonavolaii
[ Display Name History ]

jonavolaii

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Jonavolaii
I'd like to say that AVG is good, but extremely resource heavey.. .they all are nowadays... norton for example takes about 30% proccessor and ram while its not even doing anything!

I prefer antivir...

VERY low footprint... I can play runescape again :D

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sbr
I hate people that still say AVG is good. It was at the beginning of the year, but it doesn't mean it still is. In fact, now it's one of the worse, joining Norton and McAfee.

Redman4933
[ Display Name History ]

Redman4933

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 135 posts

Thanks for this, useful coupla pieces of software. I remember when my account was stolen because I had a keylogger. I only realised I had a keylogger because I kept getting alerts saying that an email was being sent, coming from a program I had never heard of - the keylogger program actually alerted me when it was sending my strokes back to the hacker - oh the audacity!!!

I know this post is old, but since I am browsing, I figured I'd reply.

AVG8 now removes spyware, so I no longer use AdAware. Anyway, I found AdAware 7 to be a bit buggy - it always crashed whenever it ran an update check. :\

'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger

No offence, but I hate that pile of ... y'know.

I installed it once, and the next thing I know my hard drive is corrupted. Full of spyware.

Skeptical
[ Display Name History ]

Skeptical

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

I know this post is old, but since I am browsing, I figured I'd reply.

AVG8 now removes spyware, so I no longer use AdAware. Anyway, I found AdAware 7 to be a bit buggy - it always crashed whenever it ran an update check. :

'd also like to add my 2 cents.

I use this great anti spyware program, which as far as I know is the currently most popular anti spyware program used. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. I'll leave it to Peter to vouch it's not a keylogger

No offence, but I hate that pile of ... y'know.

I installed it once, and the next thing I know my hard drive is corrupted. Full of spyware.

Correlation, not causation. Spyware doesn't corrupt harddrivers, either.
"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."
Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

PurpleCrayon
[ Display Name History ]

PurpleCrayon

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 52 posts
Thank you so much! I've never been keylogged and fingers crossed I never will be but damn this is epic guide. Appreciate it sir.

mashia
[ Display Name History ]

mashia

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • RSN:mashia

Thank you so much! I've never been keylogged and fingers crossed I never will be but damn this is epic guide. Appreciate it sir.

Sometimes I think even AVG can't help and sometimes it disturbs me a lot.Maybe anti-spyware will be better.
Love me, love my dog.

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts

Sometimes I think even AVG can't help and sometimes it disturbs me a lot.Maybe anti-spyware will be better.

AVG is a bad antivirus, I wouldn't use it, Use MSE or Avast instead.

Sirenix
[ Display Name History ]

Sirenix

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • RSN:Sirenix
  • Clan:TRFC
How system heavy are mse and avast? Most anti viral programs I find, I download, run, then uninstall, because they are to system heavy to keep.

7c0b9ea3fc.png

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
I'd say MSE is the lightest of them both, but they're both good antiviruses and would chose any of those 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users