Looking for colleges.

xvillexvalox

I'm a sophmore now in highschool and I'd like to figure out what colleges are good for my wants and needs, for various reasons and that if I get a college to tell me I need to take as many science classes as I can I could be excused from taking gym junior and senior year.

So far I haven't found any good colleges that are extremely well known for what I want.

I want to find a college that has advanced genetic courses, whether it be medical genetics, genetic counseling, or gene therapy.

I'm an honors student with a great GPA, by the end of my highschool career I will have taken about 8 years worth of advanced science classes (all which my school offers)

Any help?

(Also, if you want help for finding a college you can post to)

1z2zrwo.jpg

My school is atleast the 2nd largest in my state, and by years I meant by how many credits in science I can get.

after I'm done with highschool I should have taken all these classes:

Honors Biology

Honors Chemistry

Honors Physics

AP Biology

AP Chemistry

AP Physics*

AP Anatomy

AP Enviromental Science

and in math:

Honors Algebra

Honors Geometry

Precalculus BC**

Calculus BC**

and maybe AP Triganometry (I'd have to go to the closest community class after school and take it there)

So yea, I go to a good suburban public highschool.

*AP Physics has the highest of all requirements in my school, and it is the most rigorous course that it offers.

** Any calculus class at my school constitutes as an honors class, and the BC classes go faster and is more advanced than the other, AB. (It's required to take for AP physics)

EDIT for RayOxide: Harvard is well-known for being a great law school, and if you are the perfect student though without athletic backround, you only stand a 7% chance of approval if your family doesn't regulary give donations to the school, plus from their website it doesn't seem like their medical school has any courses on genetics.

1z2zrwo.jpg

Ah, I was wondering how you could get in 8 college classes. At my school one can only get in four at most, and that's only if you load up your Senior Year with three AP's and take AP Bio Junior year.

Most of those won't get you college credit. Bio-ES, if your scores are high enough, will, as with BC Calc. Everything else is just "higher level classes".

Imitation EDIT: Ray, I visited Harvard this summer.

HATED it. Couldn't stand thinking of going there.

So ya, just because a school has a famous name doesn't mean you should go there :-w .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

By "advanced" I meant "higher level classes", and I don't really care if they'll give me college credits or not, AP classes aren't necesarily to earn credits, as the abreviation means "Advanced Placement".

I'm going to take 2-3 AP science classes junior year and 3-4 senior year, so I can get everything my school offers for science.

I've been considering going to University of Chicago*, it seems like they can provide me with what I'd want but I'd rather go to a university that more or less specializes and is known for genetics.

* Here's Chicago's page on it's Department of Human Genetics http://www.genes.uchicago.edu/education.html

1z2zrwo.jpg

By "advanced" I meant "higher level classes", and I don't really care if they'll give me college credits or not, AP classes aren't necesarily to earn credits, as the abreviation means "Advanced Placement".

I'm going to take 2-3 AP science classes junior year and 3-4 senior year, so I can get everything my school offers for science.

I've been considering going to University of Chicago, it seems like they can provide me with what I'd want but I'd rather go to a university that more or less specializes in genetics

Geez, your school must be pretty lax when it comes to letting kids pick their schedules. It's not even physically possible for us to do that, and we don't get AP Anatomy (just basic Anatomy class) or AP Environmental Science as options.

Lucky >_>.

Also, just wondering, but why would you take Honors Biology and then AP Bio? And from that list, how are you going to take 5-7 AP Science classes? Did you just mean AP classes in general?

I've been considering going to University of Chicago, it seems like they can provide me with what I'd want but I'd rather go to a university that more or less specializes in genetics

Geez, your school must be pretty lax when it comes to letting kids pick their schedules. It's not even physically possible for us to do that, and we don't get AP Anatomy (just basic Anatomy class) or AP Environmental Science as options.

Lucky >_>.

Also, just wondering, but why would you take Honors Biology and then AP Bio? And from that list, how are you going to take 5-7 AP Science classes? Did you just mean AP classes in general?

When I wrote advanced there I didn't mean AP, I just meant more difficult classes (and classes that offer 5.3GPA for an A+).

The reason why I'm taking these classes:

Honors Biology and AP

Honors Chemistry and AP

Honors Physics and AP

Is because the AP class requires that you took the Honors class, and requires that you know everything from the other one.

No matter what I'm going to fight with my deans and counselrs to allow me to take all of these, from what I see I should be able to get my graduation requirements and all those classes by the end of senior year.

(I also have the support of my Honors Biology teacher from last year, who I'm sure will help me through)

EDIT:

I found the list of courses that University of Chicago has to offer for genetics, and I'm liking it =P~

http://mgcb.bsd.uchicago.edu/courses/

1z2zrwo.jpg

When I wrote advanced there I didn't mean AP, I just meant more difficult classes (and classes that offer 5.3GPA for an A+).

The reason why I'm taking these classes:

Honors Biology and AP

Honors Chemistry and AP

Honors Physics and AP

Is because the AP class requires that you took the Honors class, and requires that you know everything from the other one.

No matter what I'm going to fight with my deans and counselrs to allow me to take all of these, from what I see I should be able to get my graduation requirements and all those classes by the end of senior year.

(I also have the support of my Honors Biology teacher from last year, who I'm sure will help me through)

Weird. I took AP Bio last year, and at our school (being a hard as hell college prep school), we basically compressed two years into one, so I guess I see what you're saying about taking both.

Still, with only half as much time as you, the majority of our class got 5's on the AP exam, including me. It's not all that necessary to take two years, it just depends on how fast your teacher moves.

Oh, and the same thing happens for us with Physics. No one takes Physics until senior year, and once you get there you choose between Physics B, C, and AP Physics (or something else if you get enough credits not to take Physics). I'm taking AP, with no need to take an honors class prior.

'kay, guess I'm feeling kinda glad that I'm not in your shoes now :P .

Look into Cornell. I think they have some good genetic programs. I wanted to go into genetic engineering for awhile, but my school doesn't offer that.

Doing Early Decision there this year, hope I get in >_<.

Look into Cornell. I think they have some good genetic programs. I wanted to go into genetic engineering for awhile, but my school doesn't offer that.

Ooo, Cornell looks like it offers alot to.

http://www.mbg.cornell.edu/cals/mbg/abo ... /index.cfm

(I'm mainly posting links so I can go back and find them later =p )

and @ Reb, I'm not sure about our AP test results for science classes, but I'm pretty sure that our AP Physics/biology/chemistry teaches alot more than yours then, because our honors classes cover ALOT of material, then again, I could be wrong.

EDIT for Sniperas: Sorry, I just saw your post after I made this one, thanks alot, I was actually just searching for that, my mom was talking about it. (Chicago #9 and Cornell #12)

1z2zrwo.jpg

why go to colledge when you can gamble on meeting a company owner in a bar and becoming vice president?

Ha, maybe I should stand outside some office building and follow the president out everyday in a taxi until he goes to a bar? Then again, that's probably a stupid idea.

In two years, you will have several very, very sad moments.

I assume you mean getting into colleges, as I am as social as I am surprisingly smart. Not everyone has trouble getting accepted into a college they like, people who start calling and looking around earlier and decide their paths are most likely going to have higher chances of getting in.

1z2zrwo.jpg

why go to colledge when you can gamble on meeting a company owner in a bar and becoming vice president?

Ha, maybe I should stand outside some office building and follow the president out everyday in a taxi until he goes to a bar? Then again, that's probably a stupid idea.

restraining orders = deal killer

Try this website here. You can register there if you like, I found it very useful last year when I was a senior in high school and making my final decisions and in my earlier years. That link is to their "College Matchmaker" and it can help you find some schools that meet your criteria. You can look at schools that you like and see what they're about (ex. what degrees they offer and in what fields, tuition, average GPA, average SAT/ACT scores). You should definitely look into 5 or more schools. I would suggest you take the SAT/ACT when you can (more than once) and start applying for scholarships/grants ASAP even if your parents have some money saved for you already since college can be quite costly (also be prepared for some application fees, etc). I'll stop there for now, I could go on and on about this college stuff. :P

Try this website here. You can register there if you like, I found it very useful last year when I was a senior in high school and making my final decisions and in my earlier years. That link is to their "College Matchmaker" and it can help you find some schools that meet your criteria. You can look at schools that you like and see what they're about (ex. tuition, average GPA, average SAT/ACT scores). You should definitely look into 5 or more schools. I would suggest you take the SAT/ACT when you can (more than once) and start applying for scholarships/grants ASAP unless your parents have a lot of money saved for you already since college can be quite costly. I'll stop there for now, I could go on and on about this college stuff. :P

Thanks that should help alot, about funds though, I will try to save as much as I can with scholarships and such, but just in case my mom has already planned to have money for my college, and I shouldn't have to much of a problem financially.

1z2zrwo.jpg

Why not just get all your credits and graduate a early? Thats what im doing.

I definately could, but I Like highschool socially and I want to get everything that I can out of it educationally, chances are if I don't learn about Physics, chemistry, enviromental science, or anatomy,in highschool, I probably never will.

1z2zrwo.jpg

Why not just get all your credits and graduate a early? Thats what im doing.

Why :| ?

What do you gain from cutting out a year?

besides a loss of knowledge. frankly i have no idea what's all this AP stuff despite being in year11 but im going to take a guess its american based.

fundwise in australia i plan on doing TAFE for a cert4 in IT and i get paid by aus-study to do my course then hopefully find a good place for electronic engineering for the human body. (no im not a mad scientist)

hope all goes well for ya because physics is a royal pain, im dropp'n it in 2 weeks after my exams. -.-

Popoto.~<3

besides a loss of knowledge. frankly i have no idea what's all this AP stuff despite being in year11 but im going to take a guess its american based.

fundwise in australia i plan on doing TAFE for a cert4 in IT and i get paid by aus-study to do my course then hopefully find a good place for electronic engineering for the human body. (no im not a mad scientist)

hope all goes well for ya because physics is a royal pain, im dropp'n it in 2 weeks after my exams. -.-

Is electronic engineering for the human body what it sounds like? :uhh:

In America, atleast in my school, the difficulty of classes are rated like this:

Basic < Acedemic < Honors < AP (Advanced Placement)

Basic is for people that are a bit slow, and acedemic is the regular class.

Also at the end of the year there are AP tests that can count as college credit if you do well in some colleges.

1z2zrwo.jpg

I've been considering going to University of Chicago*, it seems like they can provide me with what I'd want but I'd rather go to a university that more or less specializes and is known for genetics.

* Here's Chicago's page on it's Department of Human Genetics http://www.genes.uchicago.edu/education.html

My school only offered 4 or 5 AP science courses and 2 honors courses. So, you have a good deal more than I had, unless you were counting honors courses as advanced.

Cowards can't block Warriors.

5.3GPA? :shock: Where i live there's both I.B. and A.P., but it's only weighted .5, not 1.3. :-s