Another mass ban??

hatebringer

[hide]
i think they should do mass ip bans

And hurt large numbers of innocent people in the process to handle a small group of rule breakers? :shock: ... Are you mentally underdeveloped?!?!? :x

(Pardon me, but you really make me angry with your insensitivity.)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

How do you mean "hurt large numbers of innocent people..."?

Okay, think about it this way with these steps...

1.) Jagex picks up on Rule-Breaker violating Rule 7.

2.) Jagex bans both the userid of the person that broke the rule and the IP (or IP range) associated with the Rule-Breaker. Unluckily, this happens to be the IP (or IP range) of a cybercafe or library or just a whole ISP micro-net.

3.) ISP/Library/Cybercafe goes into serious legal uproar for something they have been wrongfully hit for (and already by law and/or TOS can't be responsible for), as its' far larger number of innocent users now no longer have access to RuneScape.

OldJoe, this is what I was referring to when I said "hurt large numbers of innocent people" ... This is why I am against IP blacklisting ... So, is my point made? :?

~Mr. Devnull

[/hide]

They can't sue JAGeX. The accounts and the items on them belong to JAGeX and JAGeX alone. We are only "renting" the accounts basically. I've never heard that you are allowed to sue to get back other people's items to you.. :-k

By the way, this is all in the licence agreement that you agreed to when you created an account.

killerred005, this is NOT what I was talking about. The reason that Jagex would take a legal hit is NOT over in-game issues. It is over the missing internet connectivity caused by the IP bans, and how it affects those who did not commit the crime in the first place.

Like I said before in a rather expanded form, "Don't hurt the innocent to nail the guilty." ... Point made? <.<

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Well if this is confirmed, it's good to see JaGex seems to be making a dent on the macro'ers which have been annoying me since the boom a few months ago. I'll check how many of them there is around the yew trees next time I go past (not for a while) :).

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Quote from Andrew taken from the RSOF:

Don't worry we are working on the problem, and we are banning people. There are also more updates planned to hit them even harder, and cut the problem further. We just don't normally announce such updates these days. It used to be a 'mass ban of 10,000 players' would make the news on the front page, wheras we now ban that many every week so don't even mention it. Which goes to show how far we've progressed in this.

As he said, they're regularly banning thousands of bots now, a lot more than 4k.

Although I don't know if that means they've made much progress, or that there are more bots to ban. I was bored a day or so ago, so I went to f2p worlds around port sarim and in 2 hours I accumulated 350+ names and sent them in to Jagex. There were around 50+ in each world, around that general area alone.

Where do people get this idea that IP bans actually stop people from doing anything on the Internet? I see it on social networking sites like Bebo too... one person says one bad thing and everyone's calling for an IP ban, and then wonders why it doesn't stop them.

It's really not that hard to change an IP address. And for the reasons mentioned by mario_sunny it's also impractical.

The fact is there are no more "mass bans". Rule breaking has gotten so bad in RS that figures worthy of such a title are now a regular occurance.

Well this is spawned from a topic i found on the RSOF about a "Woodcutting highscores glitch" and it really seems like a ban, BUT any person that has not logged in once a person has been banned that would have a ranked skill does not show up. So basically, if i have 60 wcing, and jagex bans say 1,000 accounts that have wcing over 60, and the new lowest level needed to be in the top 1m is 59, i wouldn't appear on the list until i log in. This means Jagex has banned as many as 4k+ accounts!

Its like this for many other stats, in fact, i think most skills no longer have a 1m ranked user.

Coincidence? i think not.

Post your thoughts.

If you sit there and watch the woodcutting highscores to see if your rank goes up because people are getting banned, you need to find better things to do. Who cares if people get banned? Its for the good of the community, and you need not complain. This includes posting topics about it.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

I know of innocent ppl being banned, so this would confirm them being banned when Jagex look at the ip to see how many accounts use them and then ban them all to take no chances.

Those ppl I know would never do real world item trading, as far as I know, and all of them are banned for this offence. Another thing, the all use the same Cybercafe! I'm the only one in the group using only my computer to go on RuneScape and it seems to have paid, since I'm the last in the group not being banned.