Individuality

highlanders

to me individuality is a state of mind. yes you have the looks to go with it..but really..i think its just not caring what others say or think of you that make you really individual.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

I do believe iv heard that somewhere..maybe a class but yes that does sound familiar.

heartless619.png

IGNORE THESE FOUR WORDS

banneruh3.jpg

I bet all of you wear clothes (apart from paperclips) or at least a thong (bubsa) when you go out somewhere.

So regardless of how individual you may think you are or feel, you will always to some extent be a part of socially acceptable activities.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Why would anyone want to fit in? I don't fit in, I don't choose to fit in, I don't WANT to fit in. I don't care if people don't like me or don't accept me because I don't follow trends. Fitting in is as far as I'm concerned, uncool in itself.

Except that in turn your fitting in with all those kids who don't want to fit in, bravo.

I agree with Goddess really for the most part.

You are basically forced to conform to a certain degree. If you would choose for example to go out naked, you'd probably be locked up soon. That's just an example. Society doesn't look too benevolent on errant behaviour. Not that an individual is defined by how little they conform. An individual chooses when to conform and why.

Individualization is a slippery and dangerous road - dealing with people projecting on you, you projecting on people, asking yourself why you think and feel the way you do challenging just about everything, struggeling through all the ideas that were put in your head. It can get lonely sometimes, detaching the bonds that tied you to other people. It can be frustrating sometimes, cutting your strings, whilst not being strong enough yet to stand on your own feet. It can be terrifying at times, leaving the shelter and being exposed to all your fears without anything to protect you. It can be maddening, when everything you knew to be true vaporizes and leaves you with a void yet to be filled. It might be rewarding at some point though and it's funny having people looking at you, as if you knew more then they do, when in fact you know nothing.

Unfortunately these labels will never fully be removed.

True. It's more about you realizing that they are there and slowly removing them from your thinking, until you realize that what was your mother, is just some random woman you can't really relate to (or maybe YOU can, i can't) and the place you call home is just a random place you got used to. When you marry your man won't suddenly turn into "husband". He'll stay whoever he was. When you get a child you won't suddenly become "mother" (like your mother was). Something like that =P (seems i'm a bit in a poetic mood or something)

Why would anyone want to fit in? I don't fit in, I don't choose to fit in, I don't WANT to fit in. I don't care if people don't like me or don't accept me because I don't follow trends. Fitting in is as far as I'm concerned, uncool in itself.

You, and the million other angst kids out there. /violin

... /violin

/world's smallest violin

The occassion required it.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I say get over it because no matter what you wear, how you look, or even how you act, you will always be judged by someone, whether you look unique or wear the exact same thing as 80% of the people in your area there are always those that will attribute a name to your look whether it be geek, emo, prep, poser, goth, scene, ect.

It was thought I would be the first one to bring a gun to school for revenge just because I was quiet in school and was bullied a lot when I was younger when in truth I was just somewhat of a daydreamer and was fairly shy as well.

I was also thought an "emo" by some just because of how I had my hair, when in truth my hair was very hard to tame and that was one of the only ways that I could make it look semi decent.

Just be yourself, you'll still be judged, but at least you won't have to worry about fitting into everyone else's standards that way.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

It is human nature to classify things. If you are unclassifiable, people will look at you funny.

Another point, your statement is a paradox. Doesn't society tell you that you should feel bad if someone looks at you funny? According to law (where I live at least), they cant physically do something. If you want to be an individual, you shouldn't care.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

It was thought I would be the first one to bring a gun to school for revenge just because I was quiet in school and was bullied a lot when I was younger when in truth I was just somewhat of a daydreamer and was fairly shy as well.

When i was 13 i was doing heroine. When i was 21 i comitted suicide. Secretly i'm also collecting women in my basement, but pshh! I wonder why i am doing this. I am supposed to be gay after all. I wonder what else i'm doing in the minds of people. I'm such a great projection plane. I think i can walk on water to. Almost forgot: I hate women!

I'm a druggie, a women killing psychopath, the new messiah and idk what in the minds of other people. That are just the things that came to my ears.

That's what i was talking about. People tend to project their fears and desires on others.

It is human nature to classify things. If you are unclassifiable, people will look at you funny.

Another point, your statement is a paradox. Doesn't society tell you that you should feel bad if someone looks at you funny? According to law (where I live at least), they cant physically do something. If you want to be an individual, you shouldn't care.

That's exactly the thing. For some reason there is an urge to want peple to look at you in a positive way. At least i have this. Probably something that can make you schizophrene. I guess parents are more important in this game then society in general. It's difficult not to care about what your parents think about you and if your parents are the definiton of conformists, anything you do or are that society disaproves of, your parents will disaprove of to.

Well idk. This topic is something that's really important to me.

I often have the feeling, my parents subtley convince me that their way is the way to go and when i turn around and get to reflect upon all that it just appears to be all wrong. If i just knew what i want.

Guess that got a bit off topic.

Except that in turn your fitting in with all those kids who don't want to fit in, bravo.

I agree with Goddess really for the most part.

no she's just being herself. Yes there is a trend of kids who like to say they don't fit in but if you look at them, they all have long hair and listen to whiny music and talk about non-comformity. This is a trend, being an individual is not. Theres a difference.

... /violin

/world's smallest violin

The occassion required it.

Yeah that's...pretty much what I was getting at, Captain Specific.