Individuality

highlanders

I think society has one big fat issue with individuality:

Society encourages individuality as long as the individuality you express is the same as everyone elses.

This encourages the creation of attitude/style/fashion groups: "punk", "skater", "emo", "gothic", and the likes. People often got issues with those groups, but they tolerate them.

You can go out of your door, and wear whatever you like, something completely unique and unheard of if you want. But if you do so, other people will look at you funny, make displeasant remarks, make fun of you, and the likes.

However, if your "unique" style is part of a known group, and that big companies are making clothes for people like you, and that everyone knows how people in your "group" behave. Then, all becomes fine, and people are decent with you.

Do we really have the right to individuality? I'd say yes, we do, but peer pressure makes it extremely unpleasant. People seem to have given up on wearing what they really want to wear, and wear whatever is available that will get people to leave them alone.

This is a real problem, what is wrong with this society? Nobody does anything unless other people do it, and if other people don't do it, then you get ridiculized for it. Occassionally, some people perceived as "cool" will pierce through and create the next fashion tendencies. The big designer companies basically decide what "normal" clothing you find in the shops. But damn, do we always have to follow someone else footsteps? I think not.

2480+ total

You speak the truth. Everyone deserves individuality, but it is only the 'cool' people who make a fashion breakthrough who are truly entitled with this honour. And let's be honest, you either make it or you don't, but most people don't and end up following someone else and copying their fashion choices, who has copied someone else... and ultimately follow the 'cool' people. This doesn't create a group. This creates a herd of sheep led by a shepherd.

Its a sad fact of modern society, and I don't think this trend is going to change for a long time... until someone makes a breakthrough.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I personally think that every human wants the same things, Love, comfort ,safety and acceptance.

The means by which they achieve those are different for example, a kid may achieve all those by hanging around and dressing as a Goth, and hanging around with his Goth friends.

Or some other Kid will get the same out of joining a gang or a crew.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

No person is a complete individual. There are people that can go through life near enough on their own, but even they seek someone to be loved and accepted by. Therefore, while it's important we express our own individuality, we have to remember there's always someone who shows similar attributes to us. I personally don't feel a need to hang out in a group of a set code of traditions and morals, or a particular way of behaving or acting, but I still talk and get along with people similar to me.

As for the matter in hand, they're just comfort groups. Hanging around people who call themselves the same as you brings out a feeling of acceptance. It's not that different to going on RuneScape and saying you're proud of being a member of Tip.It or RuneHQ - it's a demonstration of pride and of acceptance into a group.

I don't think you can judge the individuality of a person through what clothes they wear.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

I fail to see fashion and clothing being the most deciding factor in individuality, to be honest.

Suprised you would say that.. considering your the one who wears pink bubbly suits and haircut mohawks. :lol:

Individuality is personality and its all expressed through what you wear, how you act, and your choices in life.

woah, TRIPLE post. Only click once remember?

Triple posting is part of his individuality <3:

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

I fail to see fashion and clothing being the most deciding factor in individuality, to be honest.

Suprised you would say that.. considering your the one who wears pink bubbly suits and haircut mohawks. :lol:

Individuality is personality and its all expressed through what you wear, how you act, and your choices in life.

...Quite.

Being an individual has nothing to do with aesthetics - sometimes, clothes etc. cannot be helped or changed. How one behaves, perceives the world and relates to others determines individuality. Obviously, self-opinion shapes it as well as opinion on others.

Individuality shure as hell aint for me. I dont try to conform and i usually dont. I just hate to see the kids who are all like, " OH IM SO COOL, im SOOO original". #-o Meanwhile they have Abacrombie and Finch or however you spell that on.

You can go out of your door, and wear whatever you like, something completely unique and unheard of if you want. But if you do so, other people will look at you funny, make displeasant remarks, make fun of you, and the likes.

This is a real problem, what is wrong with this society? Nobody does anything unless other people do it, and if other people don't do it, then you get ridiculized for it. Occassionally, some people perceived as "cool" will pierce through and create the next fashion tendencies. The big designer companies basically decide what "normal" clothing you find in the shops. But damn, do we always have to follow someone else footsteps? I think not.

well, its simple really. When people make fun of you for being different, just don't let it get you down. Laugh with the people laughing at you, and they'll start to like you and get over your differences. But if you return their hate with more hate you're just going to dig yourself into a hole of despair and depression.

and see, you can't change society, its been like this since the beginning of time, there is no way you're gonna change this. But you can change your attitude if you choose to. Then you can be different like you want to be, and laugh and be happy with the people and society in the world. Sure you may get a few insults, but you can't let every little thing get you down.

Individuality shure as hell aint for me. I dont try to conform and i usually dont. I just hate to see the kids who are all like, " OH IM SO COOL, im SOOO original". #-o Meanwhile they have Abacrombie and Finch or however you spell that on.

You are on the right track there, highlanders.

People need labels on everything so it makes sense to them. Things that won't fit into anything are scary, because they are unpredictable. People develop patterns on how to interact with whatever they encounter. If they can easily put a label onto you, they can act automatically when they encounter you. They won't respond to you, but to the attributes they project on the label.

On the other hand people tend to adopt a behaviour fitting to their labels. It's like a role playing game. There aren't just labels that you can choose, like idk emo or punk. There are also labels you are born with, like woman, black, jewish or idk what. There are plenty of people who will display the traits of a man or a woman, according to the idea they have of a man or a woman, instead of just being themselves.

So you got a self reinforcing system where people play and pretend on basis of what is expected off them. In turn they will go even more into their role. If you get treated like x all the time, you will eventually start thinking, you are x.

The human psyche is something awsome. Leads to pretty [developmentally delayed]ed results though.

A&F is expensive as hell.. I cover my individuality with Hollister, American Eagle, and Aeropostal. Honestly, I dress preppy because I know nobody can take a shot at my clothes since they're wearing the same thing. In 11 month I'll be 18 and I'll be able to start getting tattoos (aside from the one I have) and the piercings I want. In 3 or so years I should be nearly a tang soo do black belt (so long as I learn quickly). Once that is complete I'll begin my half sleeve tattoo and continue training for my master black belt. In 5 years and 9 months I'll be finishing college and begining life on my own. It's not until then that I can being individual all around. Until then, my asthetic individuality is hidden by a clever disguise that helps me fit in. But I won't give up my individual personality and such. I can only conform so far! /end rambling

Unfortunately these labels will never fully be removed.

Everything that ever has been socially acceptable is formed by critical masses of invisible numbers.

The majority can always rule but the minority will always have a voice.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Why would anyone want to fit in? I don't fit in, I don't choose to fit in, I don't WANT to fit in. I don't care if people don't like me or don't accept me because I don't follow trends. Fitting in is as far as I'm concerned, uncool in itself.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Lol, people who are these people who determine who fits in and not do that for an excuse to get easy friends.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I wear the slim looking Levis, Polo Shirts, Linen shorts, sneakers, Supras, and I have a supreme dislike for people who call me poser. Yeah..., I do support individuality.

Must be a reason for people calling you a poser?

Not saying you are but i dont see why people would just say that.

I wear tight band tees, i hate loose clothing i dont know why lol and [bleep]ie/ quicksilver shorts with vans, oh and i dont wear socks lol, dont know how that tells you much about myself as an indiviual, other than the type of music i like.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.