Which Linux Distribution?

anonymouse_

It depends on your skill with linux. Be aware that linux is MUCH more difficult to use then windows, and it generally takes lots of tweaking and fiddling to get it right. For a first time user, Ubuntu, or some dirivitive of it is generally reccomended.

I am fairly proficient with computers, and willing to try a Linux distro, even if it's difficult to setup/use :wink:

Fairly proficient with windows. I dare you to try and install/use gentoo as your first distro, lol :P

Linux is very, very different than windows. I would start out with ubuntu, and if you're not sure, you can run it from a live cd, pay around with features, explore it a bit, and try some other distros. You, as a user, have a lot more control in linux than in windows.

I had a stint where I used Linux for a while. It can be frustrating, one of the most frustrating issues is hardware support. I had a few niggling hardware problems that just got too annoying to go without.

I recommend checking out Distrowatch, which lists hundreds of different Linux Distros. Look through them and see what tickles your fancy.

Ubuntu (and derivatives), PClinuxOS, openSUSE, Mepis and Fedora are all good distros with a fairly good fanbase behind them. Ubuntu's forums are quite handy (Ubuntu Forums) and provide some good advice.

Good luck! :D

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I really can't speak for many distros, but I currently use fedora 7 and love it. Ubuntu/kubuntu are definitely the easiest to install, but if you're looking to get a bit more comfortable with linux in general, I'd try fedora/debian/opensuse/ arch/ark/etc.

The one 'downside' you would find with fedora (though many open source fans call it a 'pro,' and ive come to agree) is that it contains only free/open source software. This means you'll have a bit more work setting it up (you can't play mp3s, DVDs, java, etc when you first boot up) but I've got a number of links i used that i can give you if you do choose to go with fedora. Although the next release of fedora is schedule for early november, you might want to go with the current fedora (7) simply b/c it'll have more documentation already written to help guide you along.

and another tip, don't go for x64 OSs, even if you have a x64 processor - they're somewhat buggy and it's harder to use/get the software that works on them (and there doesnt even seem to be any sort of speed advantage.)

PDM

PDM

I would try Ubuntu. If you have an older PC (like, Windows ME/98/95 old), then MAYBE Xubuntu. My first Linux distro was DSL...I'd rather not say the name, but the name is Da** Small Linux. If you make the Live CD, it is just 50MB. Simply pop in a live CD at startup and it'll load linux. Another good one is Puppy..it's also a Live CD.

But, generally, try Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Edubuntu.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

Ubuntu for looks and simplicity. I've wasted more than a week trying to figure out how to set up wireless on Redhat Linux with ndiswrapper, and Ubuntu has recognized the network card right away.

GREAT SUCCESS :thumbsup: /Borat

Here's a picture of mine:

42812276lr0.png

Yeah, like denismage was saying, wireless has to be the worst part of linux. If you have easy access to an ethernet cable, go for it by all means. I tried two different wireless cards on three different distros and couldnt get anything to work.

Ubuntu deffinitely has the ease of use down, though most distros are fully customizable so none of them really have any big advantage looks wise (b/c the window managers have been designed in separate projects and can all be run in each of the distros.)

PDM