Why outside forums > official forums

axeraider194

Wow, I always though the RSOF was so much better than other forums because of it's highly intellectual discussions and it's high level of maturity but you're right.

Way to make sarcasm backfire.

Way to make being a grammar nazi backfire: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

He's using the possessive form in this case, so his initial post was correct.

Way to try and act smart without properly reading it:

... but please note that the possessive form of it does not take an apostrophe any more than ours, yours or hers do

"the bone is in its mouth"

Thus I think you'll find I'm actually right.

Now, I made my point. I think you'll find my "Grammar Nazi" ways actually had a point to them. Can we please end the spam?

Going back to his original post, it appears that he's removed the apostrophes that were originally in there, so I assumed you were correcting him incorrectly. I apologise for this.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

Wow, I always though the RSOF was so much better than other forums because of it's highly intellectual discussions and it's high level of maturity but you're right.

Heres Mr Grammar fanatic at it again. =;

I like the reasons so far, didn't think of much of em :P

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Going back to his original post, it appears that he's removed the apostrophes that were originally in there, so I assumed you were correcting him incorrectly. I apologise for this.

Ahh, I see. In which case, I accept your apology. ::'

Heres Mr Grammar fanatic at it again.

I wouldn't actually have bothered if the the whole purpose of his post wasn't about fansites being more intelligent or mature. I detest generalisations which have no real proof behind them, so I used that against him.

As for my response to the thread, now I've had some time to actually think about it, I think fansites are better than the official sites because fansites simply have more time to nourish a healthy community. Let's be honest, if you were Jagex, would you be particularly bothered about having the negative community everyone complains about, or would you be more focused on game development, advertising revenue and customer support? In other words, things which actually attract people to the game and keep Jagex a financially viable company.

Tip.It, on the other hand, can focus more intensely on how it organises its community. Since all the staff on Tip.It actually work voluntarily, it costs much less to maintain the Tip.It main website than Jagex to maintain theirs.

Then there's the whole issue of traffic. As many have pointed out, a thread 3 days old drops completely off the forum. I've seen worse. The Fletching forum has topics on page 50 that were created only earlier that day. It's hard enough for the forum moderators there to make sure people are abiding by the rules, let alone encourage a healthy sense of community whilst their at it.

Fansites by their very nature will be more helpful, since that's their purpose after all. If a person comes to a fansite expecting help for their in-game goals, then the chances are that person will in turn be more helpful to the next person needing help on that particular goal. What happens is a community develops, mostly full of people willing to help others out. That by its very nature is more friendly.

So, there's many factors as to why fansite forums are better than the official forums. Merely saying "Fansites are more mature and intelligent" really doesn't completely explain that well enough.

Way to make being a grammar nazi backfire: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

He's using the possessive form in this case, so his initial post was correct.

Way to try and act smart without properly reading it:

... but please note that the possessive form of it does not take an apostrophe any more than ours, yours or hers do

"the bone is in its mouth"

Thus I think you'll find I'm actually right.

Now, I made my point. I think you'll find my "Grammar Nazi" ways actually had a point to them. Can we please end the spam?

Couldn't help noticing that you started it. So why don't you start by stopping yourself?

The most obvious thing here is that he replies by actually voicing his opinion ON-TOPIC, about the rsof vs tip.it , whereas you blatently seek to pick a fight, kind of like what I'm doing right now.

Difference will now be that I'm a bad guy for doing it because you have mod powers.

Sickening double standard.

p.s. you got owned.

p.p.s. tip.it owns rsof because the players here have more in-game knowledge as a whole.

p.p.p.s i wrote that so you cannot say i am off-topic. 8-)

Our average I.Q. is higher then the game forums.

Hehe, you'd like to think that, wouldn't you?

Ignorant forumer god complexes need to die. Now.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It could be put to the test.

Take the first 1000 members on tip.it and the first 1000 on rsof and get them to do a mensa-check. That way I think life_mage12's statement will turn out to be true.

Oh , and the amount of players on RSOF vs the amount of tip.its, is bound to pull the average IQ downwards :P

but yeah, its a useless point to discuss.

It could be put to the test.

Take the first 1000 members on tip.it and the first 1000 on rsof and get them to do a mensa-check. That way I think life_mage12's statement will turn out to be true.

Oh , and the amount of players on RSOF vs the amount of tip.its, is bound to pull the average IQ downwards :P

but yeah, its a useless point to discuss.

Maturity and IQ are, for all intensive purposes, not correlated in any way, shape, or form. Yes, the RSOF posters are general immature. I get that. But I'd find it hard to believe that a real IQ test would offer any major difference in the average IQ between us and them.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I am not dissing your topic but I find some of these points also a blessing. To make a more interesting post I have copied your points and added my thoughts. I;''';;'m not necessarily disagreeing though.

---------------

-Open to everybody, F2P or P2P --- Its great f2p can post outside but its also great on official forums they cant. :-w

-No account action taken against you in game. --- Nor on official.

-Topics don't get bumped off the 50th page in the same day. --- Gets rid spam nicely.

-More intelligent discussions and topics. --- Untrue partially. Yes there are 'more' intelligent discussions outside BUT there are better (If rare or your blind) intelligent discussions on the official.

-Less spam. ---- Yeh true

-A censor to a lesser extent. ---- Yeh

-No (or little) wannabe mods compared to rsb. --- More helpfull people though.

-You can actually post pictures. --- Pr0n ftw

-You can have sigs. --- Can on official manually. :) (Limit isnt an issue, its limited here too.)

-You can have avatars. --- Yeh thats a bad point of official.

-You can discuss irl. --- Dont understand sorry

-You can discuss other games. --- Yeh but.. seperate part of forum.

-You can bash Jagex's rules and staff. --- Yeh thats fun. :thumbsup:

-You can link websites. --- Ok

-You can post youtube videos. ---- Ok

-You can use colored chat effects. --- Who uses them.

-Drop down/hidden logs. --- Their forum needs updating like everything else.

-------------------

I will add something of my own..

You dont need to write out your login and password EVERY time.

You dont get logged out for inactivity.

Sorry I confused everyone by correcting grammar, I should have explained myself beforehand. There's one thing, however, that I'm not sorry for

I wouldn't actually have bothered if the the whole purpose of his post wasn't about fansites being more intelligent or mature. I detest generalisations which have no real proof behind them, so I used that against him.

I would recommend try to spell "generalizations" correctly before you think of criticizing my grammar. :roll: Or at the very least you should just give a friendly reminder instead of rubbing in the person's face

So basically you are pissed at me because I call the RSOF stupid with "no real proof"? That's ridiculous. Besides I do have proof: my proof is the threads in the rants forum. Not enough? The threads in the suggestions forum. Not enough? the "post thy funny forum quotes" thread on TIF forum. Not enough? Well I don't think it's humanly possible to be that much in denial.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Because you might be to lazy to type in your account name and password every time, instead of just typing in the adress and automatically be logged in, as here on tif. This doesn't matter much perhaps, but it's actually a reason why I have never used the RS official forums :P

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I'm not "pissed" at anyone. See, I challenge people's viewpoints, not the people themselves.

What you were saying was, "Fansite forums are more intelligent than RSOF", which frankly isn't necessarily true. In fact, I've been involved in many an intelligent debate on the RSOF. I recall one discussion about black dragonhides needing a defence level requirement. Perfectly mature conversation. In fact, a few forum mods actually came in and commended us. that topic was in Rants BTW. There was another one in the Off-Topic forum about Pok̮̩̉̉mon. Again, perfectly mature. We were talking about IVs and everything.

Just because some topics are bad, doesn't mean the whole forum suddenly lowers in IQ or maturity (if you can even measure such a thing). I remind you there's been many a benial thread on Tip.It as well, but would you say Tip.It has a lower IQ than, say, RuneHQ because of it?

My reasons why outside forums are better than the official runescape boards:

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâã Open to all

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâã Topics don't scroll off

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâã Over-moderation on RSOF

And I will add:

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâã You don't log off after 15 minutes of inactivity

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I'm not "pissed" at anyone. See, I challenge people's viewpoints, not the people themselves. What you were saying was, "Fansite forums are more intelligent than RSOF", which frankly isn't necessarily true.

Funny, I don't remember saying that quote. Perhaps that's because I never actually said that, I only implied it. Besides, as you said yourself, it's a generalization meaning that by definition is holds true most of the time (not all the time)

In fact, I've been involved in many an intelligent debate on the RSOF. I recall one discussion about black dragonhides needing a defence level requirement.

Just because they can produce some intelligent threads doesn't mean that they do so most of the time. In fact, most of the time the threads are so incredibly stupid you need to reach pretty deep to find some reasonable

Then, of those "reasonable" rants, a lot will have some things like "Jagex it is all YOUR fault, now fix the mess that YOU made RIGHT NOW". Talking like that is a sign of immaturity. Some of those rants will, however, show signs of basic intelligence and maturity.

The fact that you came up with one decent rant doesn't help prove that most of the rants are decent.

Perfectly mature conversation. In fact, a few forum mods actually came in and commended us. that topic was in Rants BTW.

Again, the rant you came up with is an exception among all the crappy threads in there. The rants forum has a majority of stupid threads therefore generally, the rants forums

There was another one in the Off-Topic forum about Pok̮̩̉̉mon. Again, perfectly mature. We were talking about IVs and everything.

Again, The fact that you came up with one decent doesn't help doesn't help prove that most of the threads are decent.

Just because some topics are bad, doesn't mean the whole forum suddenly lowers in IQ or maturity

Conversely, just because some topics are not bad doesn't mean that the whole forum has higher IQ or maturity.

Most of the threads are dismal therefore the average IQ is lower.

(if you can even measure such a thing)

It cannot be measured, however it can be observed. If you want to see some people acting immature, then the RSOF is perfect place to go.

. I remind you there's been many a benial thread on Tip.It as well, but

While this may be true, they are in a minority. However, this minority has been growing which leads me to believe that the idiots from RSOF are migrating to TIF.

would you say Tip.It has a lower IQ than, say, RuneHQ because of it?

No idea, I don't know what runehq forums are like. Besides I couldn't care less since I am trying saying a generalization about the RSOF compared to fansites (not fansites compare amongst each other)

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

you can do whatever the hell you like without some forum mod locking your posts for no reason. the Tip.it mods are great at their jobs =D> .

plus you can have a decent argument without wannabe's telling you to follow teh rulez

Yeah this is why fansite forums are better