Web Design

pryomancer

Well I was browsing good-tutorials and found a few nice web layout tuts.

So after about half an hour maybe 45 minutes I came up with this.

It's supposed to be a clean, chic, modern portfolio design.

Comments, criticisms etc welcome.

[hide=Web Layout]weblayoutyv8.jpg[/hide]

I'll probably never use this as an actual template, so I kept it small to make it easy to work with.

spacescenev24.jpg

I like it, very classy.

What language is it in?

edit: 600 post <3:

Good old Lorem Ipsum, I think its Roman (?) but webdesigners use it all over the world to fill up space on places where text will be. It gives a clear indication on how the final result will be, because of the right length of the Lorem Ipsum words.

On topic, It looks pretty good but the buttons are a bit simple. :wink:

But still, it would be great if you could code this.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

Thanks for your comments. :D

Lorem ipsum is like random gibberish that at a quick glance looks just like a normal paragraph/word/sentence etc.

It's used to give a first impression on what a website will look like with all the text and info in place, as it's stuff you won't know about yet.

spacescenev24.jpg

Very difficult to read the text and curly font. That's the first major design flaw clients and employers will notice.

It's a bit tacky in places; the curly text, the arrow on the menu bar, the over-use of layer styles.

What are the two columns for? I'm guessing the one on the right is for content, but what about the one on the left?

Otherwise, pretty decent work. I always find online portfolios one of the hardest things to design. People often judge your artistic skill based on the quality of the website (even if you didn't design it).

I'm pretty sure you didn't make that... I've seen it on OSWD I think...

But if you did, well done its simple yet safisticated.

It's all 100% my work, and I didn't use any tutorials, apart from what I've remembered in the past.

Thanks Venomai, the column on the left would be a sort of introduction or the like.

I'll work on it soon and hopefully produce a V2.

spacescenev24.jpg

I like it, very classy.

What language is it in?

Good old Lorem Ipsum, I think its Roman (?) but webdesigners use it all over the world to fill up space on places where text will be. It gives a clear indication on how the final result will be, because of the right length of the Lorem Ipsum words.

So the words will be there, but it is like an outline for them? I'm confuzled :(

I like it, very classy.

What language is it in?

So the words will be there, but it is like an outline for them? I'm confuzled :(

Well when someone has a website made for them, the designer doesn't know what text the actual website will have once it is up.

So they put the lorem ipsum text as a substitute so the client can see what the site will look like with all the text there, instead of being shown an empty design. It helps them to understand how the finished site will look.

spacescenev24.jpg

i like the monochromatic colour scheme.

yup the major thing is that the font colour or background needs changing.

- its too hard to read white on pale blue. either darken the text or the background.

also, i think the navigation text is too large in comparison to your main 'logo'

plus i don't like that scroll bar on the content sction.

oh, and the border of the introduction and content areas seem too thick for the design.

some drop shadow and texture in the right places may also enhance it.

all small points, v good overall