Kicked from Clan Chat

anim7

Ok heres the story.

I am f2p. I merchant rares. My resources are: w1, RSOF and clan chats.

I find a post on RSOF Discontinued section saying "Come sell your rares here..."

I join the chat. It is full of people and some famous merchants too. So I am thinking, hey.."This is cool." I am standing in w1, browsing RSOF and clan chatting at once and trying to find good deals.

Some desperate guy joins the chat and says, buying santa. Of course, some newb merchants say "I sell it for 25m...." Amazingly, this buyer says ok to 25m. I check his stats and he is legit. lvl 120. At the moment, santas were about 23.7-23.8m.

Then, the owner of the chat says to the guy "I sell my santa 24.9m". The buyer is very happy and says "anyone lower?". No one replies and the owner of the chat and the buyer confirm the meeting place as world x, place y...

I am like "whoa, this guy is legit." I could try and make a little profit here and I say in clan chat "hey I sell a santa to you for 24m." One second after I say that, I get kicked out by the owner.

I mean come on!!! :wall: :wall: :x He was totally ripping the guy off by selling for 1mil over the normal price. I believe that it was not in the spirit of the game for him to do that. I mean, he advertised his chat so that buyers and sellers can meet. Yet, he kicks out people who try to undersell him. Where is the honor in that? Why bother making a clan chat if you kick others for no reason. I was not breaking the rules....

I know I cannot name people explicitly here , so let me give you a hint. The owner is a well known merchanter who is a level 3 and his name begins and rhymes with "solo" and ends with "one who swings pickaxes"...

Guessed it?

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

Hey, you killed his business. What did you expect, warm fuzzies? :roll:

Isn't the point of merchanting to sell an item for WAY over the normal price to make a profit anyway(i.e ripping people off). That's like, what merchanters do, it's how they make money... -.-

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Isn't the point of merchanting to sell an item for WAY over the normal price to make a profit anyway(i.e ripping people off). That's like, what merchanters do, it's how they make money... -.-

so naive....most merchants sell only about 100k - 200k above the price that they bought for(talking about rares). Ripping people off is not what we do. Besides, rare prices fluctuate by the hour. There is no way to set a price on something for more than a day. You cant say "a green mask is worth x gp". It always changes.

And about killing his business....I understand what forum hijacking is and I am against that. But he is the one who advertised his chat in the first place. Then he decides to kick people out for no reason. A rares chat CANNOT survive without people trying to undersell others. Its how the system works. I am saying that what he did was inappropriate in my eyes. If you host a clan chat, its fair game for anyone to talk to anyone else. Isnt that what a clan chat is meant to be? Its not private. Everyone interacts with everyone else. My rant is that the owner was a big jerk in doing that. I am not mad that I lost a trade. Sometimes we lose, sometimes we win. I completely understand that. Its the way the owner dealt with competitors that I didnt like. Why make a clan chat in the first place?

100% F2P

anim7.png

so naive....most merchants sell only about 100k - 200k above the price that they bought for(talking about rares). Ripping people off is not what we do. Besides, rare prices fluctuate by the hour. There is no way to set a price on something for more than a day. You cant say "a green mask is worth x gp". It always changes.

I was referring more to the dang full rune merchants that sell the set for like 210k when the 'fair' price is like 170k(if you simply bought the parts individually). They buy rune platebodies for the ridiculous price of 45k and then sell it for like 70k.. -.-

And about killing his business....I understand what forum hijacking is and I am against that. But he is the one who advertised his chat in the first place. Then he decides to kick people out for no reason. A rares chat CANNOT survive without people trying to undersell others. Its how the system works. I am saying that what he did was inappropriate in my eyes. If you host a clan chat, its fair game for anyone to talk to anyone else. Isnt that what a clan chat is meant to be? Its not private. Everyone interacts with everyone else. My rant is that the owner was a big jerk in doing that. I am not mad that I lost a trade. Sometimes we lose, sometimes we win. I completely understand that. Its the way the owner dealt with competitors that I didnt like. Why make a clan chat in the first place?

Inappropriate yes, but unfortunately he is the dictator of his chat channel. Heck, I bet he could even kick you simply for stating that you were a Amercian(Yanks and Brits yah no? :wink: ). What he did was perhaps unfair, but not so in his eyes. His practices remind me of a 'slightly unethical' business *cough* Enron *cough* who would do just about anything to close a deal, no matter if it was harmful to the lives of others and other businesses. You say he is famous yes? Perhaps he created the chat to inflate his fame level even further.. -.-

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Then go moan at him about it? I don't see the point of this rant.

the point of the rants forum is to vent your in-game frustratios. he's keeping by the rules while all you're doing is spammaging this.

ot: that was palin rude of him, being a high merchanter such as himself should know how the merchanting system works and in this situation he made himself look like the merchant system which is low.

Do you believe in karma? If you do, laugh, you have nothing to worry about, it'll come back to him eventually.

*cough*haxxorz*cough*

Popoto.~<3

anim7, I woudlnt be surprised if on top of being kicked everyone from the channel ignores you.

Undercutting fellow merchants by 900k infront of all the other "known" merchants as you put it wasnt smart.

On top of that you have the whole merchanting thing way off - ripping people off IS what we do. Dont be surprised if this thing goes further, some kiddies tend to take things too far in this game and start personal vendettas.

edit:

#1. You could have been smart about it and sent the guy a PM

#2. He may not have been buying a santa period, they were just checking your merchant honor, which you violated in my opinion

#3. It seems that some people who post here dont know much about merchanting and how it works so please refrain from judging

#4. Can you pm me the guys name? I highly doubt he is famous, sinse I know almost all 1b+ people and never heard of him :\

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

#2. He may not have been buying a santa period, they were just checking your merchant honor, which you violated in my opinion

Merchant honor? Are you kidding me? How is selling me an item for one mil over the average price 'honorable'?? :roll: Your just like the pures who moan about honor in the wilderness.. In fact, he was trying to be fair to the poor guy buying a santa by offering it for a price closer to the norm!

#3. It seems that some people who post here dont know much about merchanting and how it works so please refrain from judging

Would that include me? Because you basically agreed with me about ripping people off..

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

I always see you in W1

I'm sure you've heard of me, considering how often you've tried to buy rares off me. :wink:

I take it you were on Zolo's chat?

He wouldn't have kicked you, but there is only 3 other people with gold stars, me included.

That's the life of merchanting for you.

BTW, for now, I've taken my hand out of the rares market, with the Grand Exchange coming, prices are going to go haywire... :-#

We do NOT rip people off. Nor does the poster, they offered me fair prices multiple times. But merchanters in general take time and wait for someone to cave into selling their item for a lower, but same value, and we are "kind" enough to take them, we just happen to take their unwanted time, to resell it for a profit...It's much like Essence running, a mutual benefit. :thumbsup:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I always see you in W1

I'm sure you've heard of me, considering how often you've tried to buy rares off me. :wink:

I take it you were on Zolo's chat?

He wouldn't have kicked you, but there is only 3 other people with gold stars, me included.

That's the life of merchanting for you.

BTW, for now, I've taken my hand out of the rares market, with the Grand Exchange coming, prices are going to go haywire... :-#

We do NOT rip people off. Nor does the poster, they offered me fair prices multiple times. But merchanters in general take time and wait for someone to cave into selling their item for a lower, but same value, and we are "kind" enough to take them, we just happen to take their unwanted time, to resell it for a profit...It's much like Essence running, a mutual benefit. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind words. I see you in w1 also. I will remember you next time and will try to make even better offers :)

egoscorpion - about pm'ing the guy...his private was on friends.

he was defenitely buying a santa.

baron - I was not being sly at all. It was a clan chat. There is bound to be competition when multiple santa sellers encounter a potential buyer.

100% F2P

anim7.png

Yup. We rip people off. Just like the stock market and the entire business sector in the real world.

Rares are like stocks...sometimes they're up, sometimes they're down, and the smart make money off that.

Don't like it? Then guess what...don't buy stuff.

#4. Can you pm me the guys name? I highly doubt he is famous, sinse I know almost all 1b+ people and never heard of him :\

thats rather funny because runescape hasnt got 1 billion registered players.

also to the point of we dont know how to merchant. whats to know? buy low sell higher then purchased price weather it be rares weapons/armor or stock its all the same.

Popoto.~<3

also to the point of we dont know how to merchant. whats to know? buy low sell higher then purchased price weather it be rares weapons/armor or stock its all the same.

If it's that simple, how come everybody isn't a billionaire stockbroker?

It's not simple. Sure, in the basics, it's buy and sell, supply and demand, but what's more important is knowledge of the item you're investing in, the knodledge of when to invest and when to pull out - there's actually a lot more to it than just buying a rune plate for 50k and selling for 55k.

So, you tried to be sly and undercut, and now try to moan about honour? Hypocrisy sucks doesn't it.

I wouldnt say he was being "sly and undercut" he just was giving the other person a good deal. If that is being sly and undercut then i must be in a different world.

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

I'm pretty sure he meant players with 1b+ gp.

reddragon.jpg

MSSW3-Banner.gif

Merchant honor? Are you kidding me? How is selling me an item for one mil over the average price 'honorable'?? :roll: Your just like the pures who moan about honor in the wilderness.. In fact, he was trying to be fair to the poor guy buying a santa by offering it for a price closer to the norm!

Would that include me? Because you basically agreed with me about ripping people off..

'one mil over the average price'

1 day ago that would have been just about the right price, and anyway, you cannot get a specific figure for rares at any one stage. Santas fluctuate DAILY from 22M-26M.

They are unpredictable so you can't really go and say that it is over or under the price unless it is far off it like 27M or something.

To the guy who created thread:

You have been arguing that you were allowed into his chat, yes, true, free entry, no worries. But this is like going on a thread and saying 'I'll sell a santa cheaper than the thread maker is'. You are stealing his thread in this way, and as both the chat and forum was linked for the Seller and Buyers, then you have no right to steal his grounds.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

To the guy who created thread:

You have been arguing that you were allowed into his chat, yes, true, free entry, no worries. But this is like going on a thread and saying 'I'll sell a santa cheaper than the thread maker is'. You are stealing his thread in this way, and as both the chat and forum was linked for the Seller and Buyers, then you have no right to steal his grounds.

No way. The chat owner went to world 1 and begged peoople to join his chat. That is not analogous to a forum thread AT ALL. A forum thread for selling rares means, the seller has the item and puts a price on it and waits for someone to buy it/offer.

Clan chat is totally different.

100% F2P

anim7.png