Tip.it Times Presents: Letters to the editor #10 and Some!

MPM

With the end of the year coming up, our Editor has ran into a lot of extra work, so we have another set of Letters to the Editor.

Actually, only one is a letter, the other is a spare article that dates from the release of the God Wars Dungeon, but it's all good still!

So, check out this week's installment of the Times Letters to the Editor #10 and Some!

~M

What is the excess dialog? Post a link plz?

Is it that hard to scroll down the page?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Lol, I thought someone had hacked my account and sent in a letter.

Then I rememberd that I sent an article a while ago. I didn't expect it to turn out as a Letter to the Editor.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Some great points were brought up in that article..... especially with the whole F thing, and learning from your mistakes. :-w

Ok, I'll explain.... I got a D+ in my Honors English class once, and decided to switch out into Advanced English. It was alot better for me after i did. Really taught me to know my limitations, as corny as it sounds. :)

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....

this isn't something absolute and final that we are talking about like a family member dying. we are talking about a service that is being provided to us. if we (the customer) have a problem with a certain "change" to the service we have a right to voice our concern. we might not get the change corrected to our benefit, but we at least have the right to show that we are not happy with something. i'm really getting tired of the "shut up and put up with it because it must be for your own good" articles. don't say just quit playing then. some players wouldn't voice their concern if they didn't like the game and they didn't care.

rssig2.png

Zibl <3: [bleep]!! A bit outdated in some parts, but all-in-all still a very good read, as expected.

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

Why isn't Tip.It giving out letters that take the side of those opposing change, and just promoting that change is good? When the staking bit(I believe tis change this is coming from that alone) is completely a negative thing amongst us the customer. I haven't seen one tip it letter or article saying this. Even when most other fansites are agreeing it was a bad update.

Tip.It isn't being very neutral, Tip.It is siding with one side, and in my mind ignoring facts on the others side. Sorry if I'm ranting/flaming Tip.It but link me to somewhere where Tip.It is saying the update was a negative one?

This article and letters both make Jagex look good with the updates they've currently done, I don't get that? It makes Tip.It look like they are sucking up to Jagex, or trying to remain in their good shoes.

Or am I wrong? I don't know, but the articles/letters are only promoting the change, and backing up Jagex on the stacking bit. Why isn't Tip.It presenting both sides of the change? Posting articles, and letters that give good reviews on the positive, and negative side of the updates or in Tip.It's words 'change'.

Either way the letters are good for their description of change, however they do miss that change can be a bad thing, and we shouldn't always accept change, even if it is something good to us. The implying topic behind this letter gets to me and says to me 'Accept That Jagex Updated Staking, Because You Should Accept Change'.

Change is good, it can also be bad. Also getting an F on a test, how is that change? You did that test? So how is it that you can't accept that? By not accepting it, your rejecting that you wrote the test, meaning you were in control of the change. I don't even get what that has to do with the article.

The change we're talking about, or should be is the change we're not in control of, not the 'change' that Tip.It is presenting that we have control in. Change we don't have control in is updates to RS, or natural disasters for example. I still do not see why Tip.It is giving such a lame way to express change, and is not even getting the entire description in.

Even if Tip.It didn't write the letter, the letter itself was chosen by Tip.It officials, its either bad reading skills, or a rush job. But since I'm not part of Tip.It, I can not know what goes on behind the scenes, so as it will be posted, this is just a speculation, whether or not it's completely true, or completely wrong.

drastic changes such as parents getting divorced or a deceased family member...

That is true change in real life, I'm glad they put in at least one example like that. However the author of the letter used the other example of change, (which I've already said about) as an example to further the letter on. This just ruins the rest of the letter as the quiz example is not change. You controlled the outcome of the quiz, meaning nothing but you caused the change.

Yes, we do different actions that are caused from change, and actual change, not the quiz change the author is talking about, which is false in my opinion, and those actions are ranting, or constructively criticizing an update or something in real life. If we're allowed to get along with change, we're also allowed to argue with the change.

When we argue with the change, many thing happen. We can change the change back to it's original origin, or we can make a different change. Like so, eventually we'll be able to stop weather disasters like Tornadoes with future technology, as we're arguing, or going against the weather, because we do not like the change of weather. Sure we could go along with the weather, and let people get killed by the weather and massive damages to homes and leave people homeless, but really who wants that? Do you want to pay more taxes for those damages?

In RuneScape we can also argue change, not just accept it. We can riot, or post on the RSOFs. Riots are much like a physical attack on Jagex, much like in medieval times where wars happened to change the outcome, or change of something. Posting is like getting a treaty and both follow a long with it.

Either way will work towards the one group, or the other. But these are both good examples of change, and how we can go against it. We rioted about SS being banned, it got changed, we changed the outcome. Everyday we argue back with Jagex about changes they've made. We change the outcomes everyday.

So is it good to always accept change? Just go along with it, as the author of this letter bluntly says? To me the author of the first letter has completely ignored another side of change, the human mind, the brain of change, so when he says he as learned changed, he is fooling himself everyday.

Do you want to accept some guy coming into your country, declaring he is the new ruler, and you must everyday pay him any money you obtain, you must inflict pain upon yourself as well everyday? Do you want that? That is an example of 'to accept change for something that is inevitable but doesn't always have to be something to dread' (thats a quote from the letter by the way)?

Or do you want Jagex getting rid of your armour, money, and your stats? I'm going to laugh when everyone who said that good job jagex taking out staking because they do not stake, or do not care about it, those people get their stats, or whatever they care about taken away from them by Jagex. They will complain then, and know how the stakers felt when Jagex robbed them of Staking. Do you want this to happen? Well if your agreeing with the first letter, then yes, you'd accept this without arguing it back.

It is dumb, ignorant, and foolish possibly even idiotic to accept change like the author of this letter says. If your agreeing with this letter, I'm sorry but you either haven't grasped what change can do to you, how it will affect you in life. Yes, you may have never had a great change on you, that is why you can say 'I agree', because you've never had major changes happen to you, or you have had major changes happen to you, you just liked them, even you didn't like the changes, but your not putting the change being discussed here with the past change. When change makes you feel like crap, pathetic, and insignificant, you will know why accepting change is not always for the better.

I do not know why Tip.It isn't presenting that you should also argue back with change, and only presenting to accept change. This to me looks like Tip.It is sucking up to Jagex, or trying to look good in front of an audience. That is how it comes out to me, and I'm sure others agree.

So I hope Tip.It can muster the strength up to actually publish good letters regarding change, instead of the half-hearted, and little to none knowledgeable letters that was posted today. Meaning they can post more than just one side of change, and post that we should at least argue with change every time to see if it was good or not. Then make a decision from there.

No, I'm not sorry if I sounded harsh, mean or even at some points flame Tip.It, I tried to keep it as constructive as possible.

Nice, article, and I like how they used the potion on the Sophanem people for the interesting fact..Wasn't that just revealed about a day or two ago?

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

Why isn't Tip.It giving out letters that take the side of those opposing change, and just promoting that change is good?

Tip.It isn't being very neutral, Tip.It is siding with one side, and in my mind ignoring facts on the others side.

So I hope Tip.It can muster the strength up to actually publish good letters regarding change, instead of the half-hearted, and little to none knowledgeable letters that was posted today. Meaning they can post more than just one side of change, and post that we should at least argue with change every time to see if it was good or not. Then make a decision from there.

Did you ever stop to think that the Tip.It staff can only publish letters they actually receive???? You make it sound like Tip.It only publishes letters they agree with. Bull. I was the Crew Leader here for over 2 years, and there is no truth to that whatsoever. Maybe if people actually submitted good, well written letters, they would get published. Tip.It can only publish letters that people take the time to write and send in.

Instead of posting a ranty, whiny complaint that doesn't hold water, why not send a letter to the Editor? If you want an opposing viewpoint published, quit griping about it, and WRITE ONE!

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

Did you ever stop to think that the Tip.It staff can only publish letters they actually receive???? You make it sound like Tip.It only publishes letters they agree with. Bull. I was the Crew Leader here for over 2 years, and there is no truth to that whatsoever. Maybe if people actually submitted good, well written letters, they would get published. Tip.It can only publish letters that people take the time to write and send in.

I stopped to think that quite a while ago, even if there aren't letters for either side, is it fair to just continually post about one side? Wouldn't it be better to have a new topic revolving around the letters? You may have been the Crew Leader for two years and then some, but you aren't now, and unless your keeping up with the runnings of Tip.It to a good detail your guess, and mine is the same when it comes to having an opinion about what happens with the letters. I mean no disrespect, you were a great crew leader, but it's past, and I'm only pointing that out.

Instead of posting a ranty, whiny complaint that doesn't hold water, why not send a letter to the Editor? If you want an opposing viewpoint published, quit griping about it, and WRITE ONE!

Yes, it doesn't hold water, as I've clearly given at least 11-14 facts from the letter, and the previous article. I would send one, however I believe in posting things or doing things that I believe truly matter, or is worth the time I put into them. The outcome of submitting a letter and getting it posted on the site isn't a desirable outcome as it is posting on the forums for me. I do hold value of the letters, just most of the topics that the letters are for, or articles are for are either old, or unappealing. This topic however isn't worth Tip.It getting a letter from me to the editor about my opinion on the entire 'Change' topic. I've only posted on this discussion topic since I was getting fed up with all the same sided opinions. >.>

Skatedog, tip.it used to criticize Jagex in the past. I can remember 3 articles, one was about the 3rd party client ban by Jagex, the second is this one that talks about emergent gameplay, and third here about pure essence. But I'm sure there are more if you look closely.

But then Jagex got pretty mad at tip.it, Andrew complained about it... and they don't seem to write those anymore.

But then Jagex got pretty mad at tip.it, Andrew complained about it... and they don't seem to write those anymore.

Please, don't make assumptions. BOTH articles you mention were published AFTER the article that angered Andrew, so that last statement is simply not true.

And please remember that this particular edition of the Times are Letters to the Editor, not a Tip.It Times article. The views expressed in these letters to the Editor are those of spiffycamel and llamster, NOT the Tip.It Times, the Editor, or Tip.It.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

Why isn't Tip.It giving out letters that take the side of those opposing change, and just promoting that change is good?

(I did read the rest, honest, but I hate huge quotes.)

TipIt Times doesn't tell the community what to think. The staff put up articles and letters that are - ideally - interesting, or informative, or controversial, or whatever, and we get to discuss them. We're free to compliment the author, and we're free to post reasons for disagreeing, and we're even free to find another fansite to read!

Just at the moment, there are plenty of Jagex-bashing discussions dotted around the internet, and they've already got most of the good reasons for criticizing Jagex well covered. TipIt could certainly have decided to blindly go with the flow and dedicate its weekly feature-spot to yet another Jagex-bash, but how interesting would it have been?

Just at the moment, there are plenty of Jagex-bashing discussions dotted around the internet, and they've already got most of the good reasons for criticizing Jagex well covered. TipIt could certainly have decided to blindly go with the flow and dedicate its weekly feature-spot to yet another Jagex-bash, but how interesting would it have been?

For me personally, I'm not looking for a Jagex bashing article. When I express my disappointment about the letters and last times I do not mean they've "picked the wrong side."

I've heard older veteran players that say the game isn't what it used to be back in rsc or 3 or 4 years ago, but I'd have to say the game seems to have changed enormously over just the last couple of months. Everything is changing about how we interact with one another within Runescape. Clan chats, New trade screens, Grand Exchange, New shops, 3k cap on staking (am I missing anything?) Not to mention the recent addition of new high level equipment and enemies to fight along with a BIG skill coming. The game is ending the year very differently from how it started in 2007.

With all of the updates and changes taking place I would have assumed there would be plenty of material to write about. Recent events would've seemed like gold for a writer of an article of a fansite. How are these events changing the way we play the game as well as communicate with one another? What sort of impact has it currently made on the players? The newer players? The older ones? What sort of impact will these changes make to how we play in the future? Will we still want to play in the future? What type of players will benefit from the recent changes? What types will suffer?

Maybe it's just me, but an article that asks and maybe even attempts to answer a few of these questions would promote interesting discussion, or at least an interesting read. I'm not in an Us vs Them mentality about Jagex. I just think there is so much more going on in the game that we could discuss other than one player's attitude towards another. Everybody playing and that cares about the game has the right to complain if something doesn't seem right. Some people will complain with no strategy for success other than venting (whining.) It's just in their nature.

Tip.It articles have been one of the things that keep drawing me back here. I love reading them. I just think there is so much that could be addressed about recently other than playing time, and player's attitudes (we could beat this one in the ground.) Without addressing these issues it portrays the idea that the Editor is either ignoring them completely, is too afraid of starting a flame war, or apparently doesn't play the game enough to even notice. This runs along the point I think skatedog was attempting to make.....

...or maybe he just wants some Jagex bashing articles....I dunno...lol.

Anyways, I felt these letters offered little to discuss.

rssig2.png