Rs2: Blaming Miniclip For All The Evils Of Runescape

meili

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far back as i can remember noone helped me ever =\

I was playing during the same year santas were released, and i asked people where to get the hats, but everyone told me i had to pay them to find santa. Well, i never did find him, and i stopped play runescape for awhile, i started a new account up becuase i forgot my old password, and here i am

nightscale1.png

I started playing late '03 or early '04, I'm not sure which. I've had many accounts since then, getting to around level 85 on most. I've made my share of pures, and encountered an uncountable amount of scammers. I started playing through a guy who came from miniclip. I was about 13, 12 if I started in '03. The game wasn't perfect, and armour trimming and trust game scams were in full effect. As for autoers, there was a few - but I didn't notice them usually. ( Until after getting 60 wc :-w ) But I will agree, the miniclip crowd has added to the number of scammers, autoers, etc, but they have also added to the number of mature players nowadays <3: .

Tetris is about using the equal force of the working power to build up the glorious people's republic of Russia....

Most of the people here have the right idea, because runescape was definetly not perfect before miniclip came along.

I remember back on my first day playing 4 years ago, I was in varrock and someone told me to follow them to something cool. Well, I followed them, and they took me down to the sewers. Now, I was about level 7 at this time, and they took me down to the room with the 3 ghosts. after we got in, they closed the door and stood by it making sure I couldn't open it again. I quickly got killed off by the ghosts.

Another thing that happened to me in my early days was someone told me that they had a cool shield that could block the fire of dragons, and they would sell it to me for only 2,000 gp. I, knowing nothing yet, eagerly accepted. Later on my friends all had a good laugh about it and I felt really dumb.

People were always mean, there numbers just keep growing as the game grows.

i dont think any particular thing it to blame for the evils of rs.. the evils are in man's nature.

i can remember being a happy poor level 30 with 2 really good mates.. we spent all our time together we were all happy.. now one has left and the other two have cash but i spend most of my time in game alone working on goals.. it is becase of that i notice the problems not the other way round (the problems did not cause our break up we did) and i think to an extent that is true for everyone.. people just wont admit it :boohoo:

2e2f7zn.jpg1z5oswz.jpg14kktmv.png

2nhpyqv.jpg

sy9rti.jpg

It was so colourful, dudes, that it felt like my eyes were being massaged by marzipan fairies.

I agree completely with what you are saying. I dont believe for a minute that Runescape was ever the perfect, idiot free world. In fact I started playing over 3 years ago and i never onece saw the "perfect runescape" this person talks about. No game is ever idiot free but what I hate the most are the idiots who go around blaming someone else for all the world's (or game's) problems.

Y2k949sSiggy.jpg

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

I should probably change my signature...

Meh, tommorrow....

I've been playing since late 2004....

There were defenitly less immature kids on runescape. Miniclip did bring a huge influx of clueless noobs that will insult you for whatever stupid reason they can think of.

my advice: put the children (and the adults that act worse than children) on ignore, report website advertisers, account sellers, and people that say "fak you biach". Talk to your friends and people with a shred of dignity and respect.

most of all, play a few hours and go do something that doesnt involve a computer (besides eat and sleeping).

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

woow and here i am spending my entire evening reading your blog and watching your pics :shock:

i don't think miniclip is the root of all rs evil, since eventually people will show each other and the same people will start playing it. the only thing i've seen comin was the massive use of autoers. they have been here always, though there have come more in the last few years.

(i have been playing bout 3 years now btw)

pierenbadje.png

99 pray - 99 farm - 99 ranged - 99 mage ~ in that order

has anyone else considered that also the fact that it requires no valid email or anything like that to make an account?

you just log on runescape.com and ur set anyone can play and make as many accounts as wanted

i think thats a privelege that alot of people abused

MSSW3sig.png

drtimmerz.png

Just like children run towards candy, people in rs blame the first thing they can. In this case, the blame was put on miniclips because it was the first scapegoat people saw. Simply put, people will blame things on anyone to avoid the blame.

I'm not sure if what I said above made any sense. I just can't seem to put my idea into words :-k

I remember RuneScape having scammers, beggars, macroers and annoying people back in 2001. Proportionally less tho, perhaps.

True, at least from mid 2002. Although I must admit that I don't recall seeing autoers (that I could ID as such anyway) back in RSC. And Miniclip was actually advertising Runescape back long before RS2; it was the portal where I first learned of the MMORPG back when the gods still answered letters and you couldn't range in close combat, so I can't quite blame it for all of the RS ills.

Has RS been overrun with young people? Maybe. But let's be serious, if you want an MMORPG that doesn't attract the young and foolish, I'm not too sure one exists. And not all of the young are beggars, tricksters or looking for a fast buck. Some are strong and steady players who take the good with the bad. Seek them out, mute the rest and use the report feature on the bots!

Proud scion of the Northern Wastes

ICEREAVER

I definentley agree that Miniclip is part of it, but it's not all Miniclip's fault. 'Cause, some idiots just find RuneScape all on their own or from their friends. I think theres a lot of things that should be blamed for this. I do wish that there were not a whole bunch of noob Minicliptans who sit around wrecking the fun of RuneScape. I like to go where there's not many people, so there's not many autoers or trash-talkers. Miniclip is part of it though. <.<

Off topic: I'm 12 but there's no way in heck I would auto or scam. Scamming is mean, autoing is stupid and for lazy people.

idraele.png

The attitude somewhat has change. Miniclip I wouldn't say is to blame. Society is to blame. Years ago yes maybe more helping was involved then now. That was because there wasnt as many high levels as there is now. People now seem to have a feeling of superiority. And noob is definetely overused. Noob is someone more who is a beggar or is a pest not a lower level just looking for advice.

Runescape noob/idiot free a year ago? What was that guy(girl) thinking?

It was already filled when I joined three years ago. And of course tip.it will give better responses. Nice read ::'

Not reading the whole thread since I'm sticking to the original point here. As a player since year 1, I agree that the game started well with everybody helping each other out because everybody WAS a noob back then.

Then along came rares, the people that didn't have telegrab started being called noobs - in fact it was the first time I got called a noob. As rares got inevitably rarer by people stocking up on as many as they could realising they could create close to a monopoly, prices shot up and all of a sudden there were 'classes' to people who played RuneScape. The ones that had been around from the beginning, had every rare and were rich as anything and the "noobs".

New rares were no longer released to prevent this trend from continuing over time, and making rares untradable was a consideration made by Jagex but due to rarity over time, this behaviour would eventually stop and it was decided against. Just one example that shows how Jagex try to do what's best for players where possible.

Construction was released after the game engine update which meant the super rich players suddenly needed millions to gain each level in construction, bots and autoers had to change all their code and there was potential for a new era of peace.

As a much requested update to RuneScape however, it also meant that some of the annoying noobs like the ones described in this article migrated to members. This was similar to the timing of the appearance in miniclip making them visible to many more players and particularly to members who were unaccustomed to this noobish behaviour on P2P worlds. Miniclip more than likely filled the gap in the F2P worlds.

With the trade and PK'ing updates I would expect a small drop in the noobish behaviour, however with so many experienced players that have been presented with this behaviour in the past, and with many people joining because they have friends that play the game and think they're better than the players who join through advertisements, I don't expect the people that need genuine help to stop being called noobs anytime soon although hopefully the unncessary spamming, flaming and other nasty habits will stop along with the scamming and unfair trades due to the release of the grand exchange and trade limitations.

I'm also agreeing with Rebel_Ry's perspective.

To most of you, I'm new.... very very new :P

I've only been around since february of this year so I really had not known anything about the miniclip thing until recently. I sincerely doubt that miniclip is to blame though

Just because I tend to ramble too much, I've hidden my story. If you wanna read it, go ahead... if not, well I pretty much just agree with what Rebel_Ry said earlier. Advancing in the game changes your perspective because different people talk to you or bug you.

[hide=my mostly pointless story]

I remember nothing of how other players acted when I first started (aside from the friend who introduced me to runescape, who was kind enough to come rescue me from the scorpion pit and lead me back to lumby when I got lost on the first day).

I was not in f2p for long so maybe thats why, but I remember things being so different in members. I was called noob almost constantly, for no reason. I have -never- begged for anything in this game, or any other. I did not ask questions. I did nothing whatsoever to provoke another player. I was and still am pretty much a solo player. By that I mean that I like to earn everything on my own and in the past I was stubborn enough to refuse to buy things but instead earn them through drops or buy from shops. Never from other players. I even bought my first rune chain and legs in the champions guild and *knew* I was paying more than it was worth just so that I did not have to trade with other players.

I learned whatever I could about the game because I was so disgusted with being called noob for no reason (other than dressing funny :P). Eventually I wanted a quest cape, and I wanted to keep my combat low because well, surely a low level player who had earned a quest cape is not a noob. Having gotten my cape, I can honestly say that sometimes I simply miss being just another random noob.

Now instead of "hi noob", its always: "hey! can I have...?" or "Moin, can you help me out with this quest? I'll pay you?" or "can I borrow...?" or simply the obvious hope that I will be generous in return to something that is supposedly a gift. Perhaps even some completely random question about a completely random NPC which I have no hope of even remembering....

:-k So which was worse? Being a noob in addy when I should have been wearing rune? or knowing way too much about the game and be looked upon like I am some sort of mod? (I'm not, by the way, and unlike most, I never want to be because that would just be a whole new set of problems *shudder*)

Being a noob was more peaceful than having at least 10 people trying to talk to me in PM at once

Despite that, I find myself being disgusted with level 100+ players who simply say noob and walk away when asked a simple question. I mean I know how troublesome it can eventually be to be too nice or too helpful, but is it that hard for them to type out a thoughtful response to the lower level players in the game? Maybe if they would, things would be a little different month after month and it would actually make a difference.

I have dished out plenty of knowledge to players in my time here and have even shared many of my simple shortcuts with them to make things easier. Sometimes I have players over my level asking my advice for killing a metal dragon. Sometimes its something they could easily find in the knowledge base and if its too long to explain, I will guide them step by step to the knowledge base. Whatever the case, I have always been willing to share my knowlege with other players because I remember exactly what it was like to know that I could not ask anyone anything because I'd definitely be called a noob. [/hide]

I do not think miniclip is to blame for everything, though I think it has changed Rs2 in a bad way. I myself found Rs (I was 10...) when my friend told me about it. He had learned about it from some older kids.

Anyway, I don't blame miniclip for everything bad in Rs2 *cough* pking and staking *cough*, but I think Rs would be a much better place without it.

On December 10, 2007, after a long struggle, I finally gave up membership, as the only thing I did in RS, pking, was gone.

Jages, you just bit the hands that paid you.

I, for one, do not recall Runescape ever being noob-or-child-free. Never has everyone been always friendly and nice to me. Am I actually playing a different game from the person I quoted above? There have *always* been beggars, scammers, noobs, etc. for as long as I have been playing.

well friend i have to disagree i started this game a long long long time ago back when p hats were 1m each and i even remember santas being 100k....(good memories) i actualy agree with the person who you quoted. Runescape used to be an awesome place back in a day i actualy remember that time and i feel sorry for all those who didn't get to experience that time.

Although i agree with you on a subject of evil Miniclip and the 12 yearolds flooding RS but it was going to happen eventualy since the game needed new subscribers so it wouldn't get closed. Miniclip is a big part of why RS2 became what it is (noobs, gold farmers,beggers, people who swear... that's why i try to stay in p2p or RS Classic.

personaly i try to help as many people as posible if they need a help with a quest or a question because i don't belive in calling a person a noob if they need help since i remember being lvl 3 and needing help with the game myself and never being called a noob.

i-am-orochimaru.jpg

well, miniclip did have its ups and downs for the game. I for one, joined through miniclip, however many long years ago it was. :oops:

I would have to say, that yes, before the game might have been better, nicer, less "nooby". I'm not saying the game was perfect, all games have their kinks. Scammers may have even ran more rampant in the days of the miniclip explosion.

I have heard it said that Change is the only constant, and if you think about it, most of those annoying 12 year olds (i was 11, i think) didnt play rs for more than a month or two, if even that. Maybe some people blame the downward spiral of rs on miniclip, and hey, why not? will we ever really know what did the trick?

Lastly, i would like to add in, that if you do your part, and make your money, skills or name, why the heck would you care about anyone else?

(ps: i hate that CLUB PENGUIN :wall: outranked runescape on the miniclip top 10... God! lol)

A man walks into a Bar.....

He says:

God! Who put that stupid bar there!

I agree with you completely.

This game was intended (for the most part) to be played by children, so why do so many people complain about the immature, childish crowd? It's expected in a children's game, isn't it?

I don't blame Miniclip whatsoever, if it wasn't for Miniclip, I wouldn't be playing either.

Runescape was not designed for children, many players back in the good ol' days were mainly 16+. Also, just look at when you first start an account, you should be 13+ to join. I joined 4+ years ago, and have had many times of fun, but also a few times of unhappiness.

I do believe that miniclips gave us the influx of younger players, but the thing is that it was inevitable. It may not have been so sudden, but over time we would have been run over by kids.

There is nothing wrong with this younger generation of players, but there is something wrong in how our society (in real life) has brought them up.

I see it at school, every year the Year 7's (I believe it is middle school or something in America) come to school for their first day, they are getting more and more disrespecful towards people that are older and deserve respect.

Lastly, i would like to add in, that if you do your part, and make your money, skills or name, why the heck would you care about anyone else?

Because people like to play the games with friends, not alone. Imagine playing the whole game with all the chat options down the bottom turned "off". One word.

Boring.

You are awesome for putting "~Shadow" in your signature and not at the bottom of your posts

~Shadow

I think its more likely people think of the game becoming more immature as they play is as they play, they get more stuff and become higher in lvl, so more if it is directed toward THEM. Think of it this way, if you were a noob begging for free stuff (not that you would=P) would you try:

A. A lvl 120 in full dragon

B. An autoer chopping yews

C. A lvl 20 in his first set of full steel

D. Yourself (you just know you're holding out on yourself you know)

Of course you'll choose the higher lvl with expensive armor. So what that means is as you progress in RS, you notice beggers and others more because more are targeted at you. So their "Golden age" is when they where a noob and not being begged at 24/7

No, miniclip has done nothing to runescape except increase the number of players. The problem is that the longer we play, the higher our lvs and the more beggers there are after you.

For example, i had a neighbor of mine who ask me for something since i was a high lv, i gave him some pieces of my spare rune armors. He went and kill himself in wildy or something and came back asking for more. I told him i wont give him anything else since he was high enough lv to work for rune armor. Then he continued to beg me and then eventually calling me a noob and other words that were censored. If you are just a little nice to lower lvs they tend to keep begging. They never learn to do things themselves

Generally, player who have reached a hi comb lv, let say cb 100, they played quite a bit and have been bothered often by lower lv for stuff based on their cb lv. This could be a reason why they might get mad and insult the next person who asks for free stuff.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png