Is training combat with controlled a "bad" idea?

Captain_Shiv

Hi, I'm very adamant about training my combat evenly, and like to keep my Strength, attack, and defense stats equal. (Currently am 82, 82, 82.) So naturally, when I got my Abyssal Whip I thought it'd be a good idea to just train on everything using controlled. I've heard people say that I get less XP for this, and am therefore gimping my Xp per hour. Is this true?

Do you think, Perhaps, that the Black Dragon lives in the Black Dragon Cave!?

Blackmagecc.png

I'm a firm believer of typing with proper grammar on the interwebs. Oh yes.

If you stay on controlled, look at it this way.

You get a level in all 3 of them in the same hit, you started training 3 hours ago.

If you used different weapons (Don't bother with speed, it's just an example) such as a D scimmy, to train strength, you'd get the Strength level in 1 hour, Then you use an Abyssal Whip to train Attack in the next hour, and Defence in the 3rd hour, it's basically the same amount of XP for you, it just seems longer because it'll be no level-ups for 3 whole hours.

I'm not sure about Hitpoints XP though, I think on controlled it goes up at the same rate... I think, not entirely sure.

Hope that made sense.

Yagami.png

I would like to get the most difficult 99 in the game to accomplish. which is woodcutting.
because I had a drunken night in philadelphia and sprayed a fire extinguiser, evacuated a 7 story hotel on the philly stadium, spent the night in jail.. then got on level 2 prob & have to pay 50 a month because I have a job. It's their way of collecting more money out of me.

Yagami.png

Yagami.png

Yagami.png

you get the same xp per hour if you train controlled over another stat ( it just feels longer). People that like even stats usually train strength (to hit higher for attack and defense) then attack (to hit more often) and lastly defense.

It does not matter very much which you choose. You could train attack, strength, and defense individually for 20 minutes each or train controlled for an hour and you will get the same amount of exp. You get 4 exp per hit training individually and 1 1/3 exp training controlled. There are two problems with this though. On one hand,the whip can't train strength, so controlled seems like the better choice. However, getting a full attack level instead of one third of a level in each stat could help you train faster. Its really up to you. I would train controlled if you don't have a d scimmy.

Firekodi12-Hunter_2116.gif

Training on Controlled isn't as cracked up as people often persuade you to believe, While technically you get no less exp per hour from a monster you kill, It's shared between your three combat skills, Which means you'll get the level ups slower.

It's all well and good keeping your combat stats even, But using Controlled will really remove feelings of accomplishment seeing as you get so few level ups within a given time period, Technically speaking, As Devils said, You'll get the same amount of levels in the same given time period, But still...I personally enjoy seeing level up messages, It can actually keep you training.

Hp Experience is still given out at the same rate on controlled, 1:1 Ratio damage to experience, You hit 25 Damage on Controlled, You'll still get 25 hits experience like you do on any other style.

ArchSupport.png

fayt_1111.png

"Your account "Z0mg ownpur3"has been created , Thanks idiot, the average IQ of this game has now dropped from 13 to 12"

I thought with HP it was for every 1 Damage, you get 1.5 HP experience...

Which explains why my HP's always higher than my other stats when training evenly.

But yeah, I think I'll stick to controlled for now. It's been working out well for me as of yet. :P

Do you think, Perhaps, that the Black Dragon lives in the Black Dragon Cave!?

Blackmagecc.png

I'm a firm believer of typing with proper grammar on the interwebs. Oh yes.

Which explains why my HP's always higher than my other stats when training evenly.

But yeah, I think I'll stick to controlled for now. It's been working out well for me as of yet. :P

Its 1.333*Amoutn hit.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Its 1.333*Amoutn hit.

1.3 exp per hit, no matter what style, rounded up every 3 hits (so if you hit 3, you get 4 hp exp)

I personally do strength, then attack or defense, followed by whatever I didn't do. Controlled just isn't my (pun alert) style.

It's the dame xp - but NOT in the long run.

I have 99 str, 96 att and 86 def. I have 10m def xp to go. How much faster will that xp go for me, because my assault is higher? in the long run, quite a bit faster, when i get around to it.

You get the xp on controlled etc, but in the long run it makes sense to unbalance in favour of assault (i might be doing it a little extreme).

it would be better to train a single stat, such as strength, then attack then defence for 5 levels each at low levels, then one level at a time at higher level. I actually go farther, usually by doing strength 5, attack 5, defence 5, range 5, then magic 5....or mix it up a little more.

Training with control doesn't seriously "gimp" your training.

But... Say you train att, str, then def. (1 lvl each)

when you get that att lvl, you can use it straight away. The extra accuracy comes in quickly. You can have that better accuracy sooner than you would have by using controlled.

dorcus0.png

"The best defence is to stay out of range" - French proverb

Bad luck happens. Learn and get over it.

There are two possible negatives to controlled:

1. You don't get the benefit of each level up that you would get from doing one at a time.

2. The alternate (controlled) attack of some weapons is inferior, the Scimitar has a poor stab as a controlled attack, probably the weapon that is most disadvantaged in the controlled style.

It is not a "bad" idea. Although, you get 1.33 exp in att, str, and def each, so you do technically lose exp, but only by 0.01 exp points per hit of 1 hp. You might also consider what the bonuses for your weapon are, so if the have really high slash bonus and really low stab, then youll want to use a different type.

PM me for fitocracy invite