Summoning Training Guide

BlimpyboyJr

OBSERVATIONS

1. The most common charm drops (by far) being reported are GOLD.

2. This a very expensive skill to train - even discounting the "main ingredient", the pouches, and the effort involved in getting the charms, you're looking at a bare minimum of well over 38M gp JUST FOR THE SPIRIT SHARDS.

3. Alot of these summoned creatures have limited abilities - most of their special skills basically amount to paying money for an occasional extra "special attack" on a per-use basis. Sooner or later, the most desirable summoned creatures will be the ones that can be used on a regular basis for everyday activities, most notably the combo Attackers/Beasts of Burden.

4. Thus, it follows, to keep costs down and ability to keep creating new pouches up, you want to concentrate on things that:

a. Have a high ratio of XP to spirit shards,

b. Use gold charms, and

c. Are useful everyday and will have a demand on the GE that will want to buy your supply of pouches.

Based on that systematic approach, I evaluated the summoning creatures and came up with the following levelling plan:

THE PLAN

Levels 16-24:

Granite Crabs (gold charm, iron ore, 7 shards, 21.6 XP)

These aren't going to be very useful in a fight. However, they give over 3 XP per shard, the best XP bang for your buck that you're going to find for the next 10 levels. And the main ingredient being an iron ore makes these very easy to make.

Levels 25-39:

Spirit Kalphite (blue charm, potato cactus, 51 shards, 220 XP)

These also aren't going to be very useful in combat, and the 2 extra items they'll carry for you as a beast of burden are hardly worth the effort. However, they give 4.4 XP per shard and finally allow you to start using those blue charms that have been building up in your bank. Potato cacti are easy to pick up in the kalphite lair.

Levels 40-51:

Bull Ants (gold charm, marigold, 11 shards, 52.8 XP)

These won't really help you in a fight, but they'll carry 3 items back to your bank for you, meaning you can bring them on slayer or monster hunting tasks for extra inventory space. They give nearly 5 XP per shard. The hard part is going to be getting a hold of all those marigolds - start farming them now!

Levels 52-65:

Spirit Terrorbird (gold charm, 12 shards, raw bird meat, 68.4 XP)

Karamthulu Warlord (blue charm, 144 shards, fish bowl, 510.4 XP)

Terrorbirds might help you a bit in combat and will also carry 4 items back to your bank. They give over 5 XP per shard and carry more than Bull Ants, and the bird meat ingredient is alot easier to get (a use for your hunter skill!). At level 58, you could start using your blue charms to summon the Karamthulu Warlord, which looks like a very good combat companion. It gives only 3 XP per shard, though, meaning Spirit Kalphite are still a better training option. You just might like these in combat, though, and the fish bowl ingredient is very easy to come by using your crafting skill.

Levels 66-99

Barker Toad (gold charm, 10 shards, bloated toad, 87 XP)

Arctic Bear (gold charm, 14 shards, polar kebbit fur, 93.2 XP)

Addy Minotaur (blue charm, 144 shards, addy bar, 668.8 XP)

Spirit Dagannoth (crimson charm, 1 shard, dagannoth hide, 364.8 XP)

It gets a bit complicated here, and by this point you won't really need a guide anyway. But these three seem to give the best bang for the buck, with decent combat help thrown in as a bonus (get your bloated toads in the Feldip Hills). The barker toad is a very cheap alternative at 8.7 XP per shard. But the cheapest seems to be the Spirit Dagannoth, assuming you can lay your hands on dagannoth hides (Waterbirth Island) with relative ease (if you're buying them, though, there are much cheaper training alternatives). Make some addy minotaurs with your blue charms if you've got the addy bars lying around. Arctic bears won't give you quite as much bang for the buck as barker toads, but make a few just to break up the monotony. Get your polar kebbit fur in the ice plateau hunter area.

Important Note Regarding Charms: There is a great use for crimson charms at level 82, but I'd hold off on using them at all until then. You shouldn't use the green to level at all - they offer far too little XP for the price. I'd recommend holding onto them until much later in your Summoning career, as there are some great uses, but they're not going to help you level very quickly.

Scrolls

It won't give you much in the way of extra XP, but for certain summoned creatures, converting your pouches into scrolls to use their "special moves" looks like it may be worth it, especially if you're going to end up just tossing out your extra low-level pouches anyway. None of these are immensely useful, but they're a way of making the best out of something that might otherwise be completely useless. Here's the best of them:

Gathering Specials

Use these specials and keep these familiars refreshed while alching, woodcutting, or doing some other standing around-type activity:

Spirit Spider - produces a random number of red spider eggs (use his specials and keep refreshing him )

Beaver - chops 3 extra logs (use the special while woodcutting)

Macaw - produces herbs (another standing-around activity bonus producer)

Spirit Cobra - converts eggs (maybe even chicken!) into cockatrice eggs

Combat Specials

Summon these creatures and use their specials while training slayer in multi-combat areas like Kalphite lair or dagannoths or in multi-combat minigames like Castle Wars or Fight Pits:

Granite Crab - boosts your defense

Cockatrice - drain opponent's combat stats (though the effects are probably marginal)

Spirit Jelly - drain opponent's attack

Karamthulu Overlord - up to 16 damage

Barker Toad - up to 18 damage

Arctic Bear - up to 11 magic damage and stuns

Granite Lobster - up to 14 damage and drains opponent up to 5 defense

Praying Mantis - Binds, damages, and drains prayer (castle wars!)

Spirit Dagannoth - up to 18 range damage and stuns

All Minotaurs - decent damage and stun

Energy Boost Specials

Bull Ant - restores run energy (use in place of energy restore potions while cluing or even creating pouches - lol)

Spirit Terrorbird - +2 Agility and restores run energy (same thing as bull ant, unless you have need of the agility levels)

Have fun summoning!!!

Blimpy

blimpyboy2.png

Problem is that many of the Familiars you recommend need very hard-to-get or expensive material (Marigold, Raw Bird Meat, Bloated Toad, Polar Kebbit Fur).

Owner of Quest Cape since 11/9/2007 23:30! Working my butt off to get it back.

lemurian04.png

can anyone offer any information where the best place to get gold charms are?

rh0qd5.gif

Barrows Drops

Guthan: 9 Veracs: 10 Ahrim: 6 Karil: 8 Torag: 10 Dharok: 5

i would suggest the ogre city obelisk for fast summoning.

stock on shards pouches charms and 2nd ingridients and go there. have the 2nd ingridients in noted form and sell and buy back in the gen store. then summon for fast exp.

I Don't have the money for it, i'm now fishign to get money for summonning!

Account created:2/01/'08 Months Played: 11!!

Check out my guide on getting 13m Exp!

siggycopyjj5ml0.jpg

115 CB | 99 Fletch | 99 cook | 99 Ranged | 99 Fm | 99 Fish | 1800+ Total

Dragon drops: 2 Meds ;; 1 Skirt ;; 2 Legs ;; 1 Shield

Chikens lay strong eggs when they think a day counts 28 hours...

I love the idea of Summoning, just not how F2Pers have lost so much and have gained so little from this update

Though this AND the 64 new spaces did make me want to switch to P2P again...

Lol that is the general point.

But what did f2p lose? :-k

maybe try pking? and if your going to try to say BH replaced pking for the "better" the you must never have tried BH with a 1 def pure and soloing :P

That has nothing to do with this update

I love the idea of Summoning, just not how F2Pers have lost so much and have gained so little from this update

Though this AND the 64 new spaces did make me want to switch to P2P again...

Lol that is the general point.

But what did f2p lose? :-k

Yeah, a pretty dopey comment from dv_trainer. We've lost something we didn't have??

BlimpyboyJr, what I'd suggest you add to this is how many of each recommended familiar you'd need to summon to reach the next level.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

accually the obelisk closest to a bank is the one at the monkfish fishing colony, but there isn't a shop so you'll have to buy the shards beforehand

rida81.png

Rida81.png

became quest point master on: 21 dec 2007 2:43 pm

actually, summoning potions dont raise summoning lvl. and have you tried any of this bs? do some research bucko.

He said it was based purely on the KB, and you know that it isn't always the most informative place, especially for training info.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

I imagine F2Pers will be able to sell iron ores and raw chickens to P2Pers, just like they do with yew logs (and like they used to do with rune essennce ::' ).

The iron mining business might become profitable once again.

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

A few problems:

Rock crabs alone till 40 is inefficient. Make other summons as well because you have other charms to use. (such as scorpions or spirit wyrms, beavers, compost heaps, honeybadgers)

Ants are not going to be realistic because they require marigolds and you have to get those via farming

Karamthulu overlords are not good for grinding because blue charms are rare

Daggonnoths are much better experience later on for going all the way to 99 and it does NOT cost 100m to get the shards for them :roll:

You've got to understand that, in order to level up efficiently, you have to make use of ALL the charms. Not just one type of them. That's why people have come up with some crazy numbers like "200m for 99 summoning on granite crabs" I mean who in their sane mind would use such an inefficient creature for training when there are way better options?

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )