Guide on how to meet the requirements

maulmachine4

Hey, I'm maulmachine4, you guys can call me maul for short,however. JaGex has told us that they are planning a new detail release in early july and I feel, from a lot of hanging out on lightning, that a lot for tippiters aren't ready(technically wise) for it.First off I will tell you how to check to see if you meet the JaGex minimal requirements.

This is for any version of windows except for vista, first off find "My Computer" it should be on the desktop,however if you hit the start menu then you should see it there as well, anywho, drag your mouse over to it and right click on it and there should be a button that allows you to view system information, I realize that is phrased badly, however, I use vista, it's better for games =].

Now,the requirments from jagex are:

* 1.5 GHz processor or higher

* 256MB of RAM or more

* 64MB 3D Graphics card, such as Nvidia® GeForce 3 or above

These are the minimal requirements, keep in mind if you meet these then your going to be running runescape rather slow, the rest of your computer will be dedicated to this if you face these minimal requirements. Ok, so most computers about 1-5 years old should meet these, however if you really are running an older computer then you are going to need a new motherboard(or new parts which may require a new motherboard), if you are running your computer and are reluctant to buy a new motherboard then you over-clock your processor(really only possible in new ones, however), BEWARE this can destroy your processor, so I suggest a new one.

Now, let's say you can't be bothered with finding a motherboard, well all hope is not lost, thankfully if your processor meets these specifications than you are most likely in good shape, you can run out to staples or best buy and ask for sticks of DDR memory *NOT DDR2* they will most likely have a set stick of 256mb that you can put in yourself. You will need to make sure that you have either 2 256s you can't mismatch amounts of ram.

Now, let's say you don't meet the graphics card specification, nvidia is a large maker of graphics card, however they have stopped selling graphics cards that will fit your motherboard, your source of a graphics card will be radeon, radeon will be available at most local technical retailers, you will just want a 256mb graphics card, make sure it says "PCI" on it if it says "PCI-Express" that means that it is built for a newer motherboard and will be incompatible with your motherboard.

From here it gets tricky, now you will need a star screwdriver, a philips screwdriver and a flathead screwdriver. Now, unlike in runescape, you cannot cast a spell to upgrade your computer, now unscrew your computers case and you should see a bunch of wires all over the place and a central board with a lot of wires leading to it, this is your motherboard, it will have open slots on it that you will be able to put the memory, the graphics card will also go into your motherboard and it will have a part of it that will go to the back of your case, before you do any of this unplug your computer, please!

Now if you don't have any open slots in your computer then you will need a new mother board, then if you by a new motherboard there is a chance that your power supply will be incompatable with this new motherboard and you will most likely have a bunch of parts and a old computer, if this is the case and/or you don't want to risk this happening than you will have to buy a new computer, if you are near a local retailer then you can buy a "Barebone kit" from such websites as tigerdirect.com,or newegg.com, both of these will sell barebone kits that you can have assembled buy a local store for a nominal fee.

I will answer any questions here and for further support you may contact me on runescape.

Uhm, first off, there's already a guide by Nadril: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=746171

I don't remember when DDR2 was introduced (2005?). I got a computer from 2004 with DDR, so I guess in that time line.

You need to know what your memory is (ddr, ddr2, ddr3), size (256, 512, 1024... ). You can't put a 256 with 1024, crash.

What motherboard are you on about? One from 1998?

ATI produces agp and pci-e (pci too?). Nvidia produces pci-e, but stopped agp. But I remember a manufacturer (dunno which one), making some newer cards (8400gt, 8500gt) releasing some pci types of these.

And if you're opening your computer, you need to non-static (touch an unpainted metal part, to ground yourself), or you'll fry the computer.

Buying new parts to an existing mobo you need to know: what processor (amd or intel) which ones does it support? Is it agp, pci, pci-e? DDR, DDR2, DDR3.... etc etc etc.

You have phrased yourself so weird, I don't understand anything lol.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I realize the thing about ddr, I know they need to be balanced, you buy a pack of ddr that is 512mb and 256mb each stick, go to a tech store, you'll see what I mean.

as for the motherboards, I have numerous computers that have pce ports and the motherboards aren't old at all, whereas I have been to the generic stores, staples and best buy, they won't carry your 8xxx series, trust me on that, and nvidia's pci series s had to find in a 7xxx series let alone an 8xxx,series. also, different manufacturers won't use the same code nvidia uses, radeon's numbering, is far different from that of nvidia, and both are different from asus's integrated cards.

Oh and by the way you have to touch the screwdriver to open the computer, this grounds you, did you think that part through?

I realize the thing about ddr, I know they need to be balanced, you buy a pack of ddr that is 512mb and 256mb each stick, go to a tech store, you'll see what I mean.

as for the motherboards, I have numerous computers that have pce ports and the motherboards aren't old at all, whereas I have been to the generic stores, staples and best buy, they won't carry your 8xxx series, trust me on that, and nvidia's pci series s had to find in a 7xxx series let alone an 8xxx,series. also, different manufactureers won't use the same code nvidia uses, radeon's numbering, is far different from that of nvidia, and both are different from asus's integrated cards.

Oh and by the way you have to touch the screwdriver to open the computer, this grounds you, did you think that post through?

Touching the metal part of a screw driver is not grounding yourself.

goldenblade995.png

This "guide" is all over the place and won't be helpful to anyone that doesn't already have a clue what they're doing.

You will need to make sure that you have either 2 256s you can't mismatch amounts of ram.

You should have a talk with my laptop. It appears to be defying your "can't" statement there since it's running 1 512mb stick and 1 256mb stick.

The entire guide is littered with incorrect information and more 'I wrote wordy stuff' than actual helpful info. Anyone looking for actual information they can understand should be reading Nadril's guide.

This guide is all sort of crazy and confusing.

And I really should bump that thread of mine...

Going with you there. Moderator could this thread get locked and Nadril's stickyed? As his is can be used by anyone easily and there has been alot of post about this lately.

I'm locking this, as there already is a superior guide on this subject. While I appreciate your attempt to help others, I suggest that you work on both the structure and the content of your guide before posting it again.

-Necromagus, Tip.It mod