SUGGESTION: A way to reduce to power of rares on the market

Kay heres my view:

Jagex, has a moderator who sets up a little stall that buy all rares at the current price, such as blue phats for 26 mil, santas for 2 mil ea. etc. (im just guessing the prices). Once they gather up all the rares, then the stall in turn now starts selling the rares back, at their actual value, such as 1 gp/ 5 gp. This time, the stall has unlimted supply.

tell me what you think?

andysigwhitemc.jpg

dude i got pked and lost my full zezima

When it resold the party hat, the one you got would have to be untradable. And only you yourself could rebuy it back. How about just selling your hat's tradability instead for that amount? The only problem is that the stall couldn't keep up with real market prices. Still, I think the average person might want to sell away the hats tradability and keep it to wear, getting all that money. However, that'll increase inflation by huge amounts, and could lead to only a few actual tradable party hats left, which would be in huge demand to buy (as they are good tools for merchanting). I'm not sure though of the demand they would have, that's something that would just have to be played out and seen.

I don't get why the prices have to go down, unless you realy want one and can't afford to buy one. I know I can't buy one, but I just pretend like they arent even a part of the game. Your idea however might be effective, if they can make it so you have like 5 months to sell all your phats to this store, then after that any phat is untradeable. I don't if they can do that to items that have been around for such a long time, maybe because they dont have a specific tag or whatever to change for each individual item.

Its a good idea, but if they went all the way to like 5gp, every noob would have one and then it wouldn't be fun anymore. The fun part about P Hats and Santa's are that not that many people have them. I think they should keep them at a high price, just not something ridiculous like 26Mil. Something along the lines of 2-5Mil would be much better.

selling the tradeablility of rares is a good idea... the only people who would do that are the people who ARENT merchants and just want their hat/mask etc.

Just making rares untradeable would DESTROY merchanting, in conclusion, nothing can be done to stop the rising price of rares.

It wouldn't destroy it, it would even the economy out A LOT. I mean, it really isn't fair that a select few who have been playing for x amount of years can instantly make 26 Mil while making that much takes others weeks to acquire.

For example: I have level 60 wood cutting, level 66 fishing, level 59 mining, and about level 50 smithing. But I'm not at all rich. I am also combat level 72 (Which really doesn't affect my wealth, but it does stereotype me as being rich).

but why dont they jsut make them untradable thru players but sellable thru the stalls? this way rares get eliminated properly.

and merchanting would not b ruined, merchanting rares would b. please dont confuse those two terms.

limpxbizkid.png

i+r+newblet.png

It would be like the Easter Egg in my view, where the party hats "turned into" x amount of gp. Then an announcement would be made on the website saying you can buy them back from Diango as untradeables.

Thing is, I wanna keep rares :(

It wouldn't destroy merchanting, there are other things merchants could use.

As for status, maybe jagex will release some other form of headwear that could distinguish players, such as a hat that gives no bonuses (or a little) that a lvl 100 could purhcase somewhere but a lvl 70 can't (or buy a different type of hat)

andysigwhitemc.jpg

I disagree with the idea. Firstly I do not know why rare items should lose market "power". Secondarly, the idea has many flaws.

The value of a item, is how much the player community places on it. The rare items increase in value for three main reasons.

1) They have a limited supply.

2) They hold their value against Inflation.

3) They have a 'status' for owning them.

These three characteristics mean players value them. They often have a value above their current market worth. If Jagex starts buying them off players, a few things would happen.

1) Players would quickly realise what was going on and would hold off selling. Forcing Jagex to increase the prices even more. It would turn into an upwards spiral with players trying to force the prices Jagex offers ever higher. A few enterprising players might even buy up rare with the long term aim of holding them back from Jagex.

2) The GP gained for selling the hats would be exposed to inflationary pressure, so overtime the GP would decrease in relative value. Players invest in party hats, allowing them to increase in value. GP does not increase in value (Unless deflation occurs); In Runescape GP loses value due to inflation.

3) Same players simply would never sell to the MOD. They might not play anymore, they might just be too lazy to sell.

The above reasons would mean that Jagex would never be able to buy them all back. If they want to remove them all they would have to force the transition to occur which would upset many loyal players, and I fail to see how it would improve the game.

If you want to reduce the value of rare items... The solution is easy, give the players other areas to invest their money in, give players other places to spend their income (Eg money drains), allow GP to hold their worth. For every coin which enters the game, another coin should leave the game.

To keep the value of the GP constant, Jagex could fix all prices. But, that removes the dynamics of the players market from the game, a aspect many players enjoy and profit from.

i realy dont see the need to bring down the prices, if ppl want to but them they save up the money to do so, phats and the rest of teh rares like them where made as a little fun on xmas,

if you wasnt playing the game the xmas they came out then u didnt miss much, ppl still put so much importance on rares, y does everyone have to have one?

this is teh reson jagax stopped making rares tradable. y cant ppl just be happy with what they get?

no, i dont have a phat, no i dont want one.

phats no longer show how rich or how long u have been playing, they are simply another form of money now. what a mess of a little bit of fun.

1) Players would quickly realise what was going on and would hold off selling. Forcing Jagex to increase the prices even more. It would turn into an upwards spiral with players trying to force the prices Jagex offers ever higher. A few enterprising players might even buy up rare with the long term aim of holding them back from Jagex.

Theres a time limit in which the players could sell for compesation. After that time limit, jagex releases the stall that sells rares, and as more rares flood the market, the prices will fall.

andysigwhitemc.jpg

u can easily stabalize the market by doing something simple drop more hats randomly and then announce how many were dropped on main page. by doing this periodically it will keep prices stable by keeping the ratio of players to hat the same so instead of prices rising or falling it will keep them stable.I AM NOT DOING THIS TO TRY AND GET A PHAT I HAVE A SET MYSELF.

I disagree with the idea. Firstly I do not know why rare items should lose market "power"
B/C they were never supposed to have the "power" to begin with. They weren't dropped as rares and they certainly weren't meant to be worth 180 million for a set.

My idea for lowering the "power"of the rares would be to make them very rare level 3 clue rewards. This way, the influx of new "no-longer rares" would be pretty slow, and the price would go down over time, like every other trail item has.

Also, it would allow poeple who are bad at making money (me :oops: ) would be able to get one through just spending a lot of time on it, instead of messing with buying and selling things. :D

This is basicly another 'rares cost too much post'. Look, just leave the rares as they are, they dont affect the other prices of things you actualy need, they dont affect anything, its a seperate market.

No one would be happy about it, the rares market is a very good way to merchant if you have alot of cash. And those who have the cash to afford should be able to do it without pests saying omg it was like 1 mil the other week, why is it 5mil?

Their is no solution to the problem and hopefuly never will be. Its a fun side of runescape. Rares can be used for:

-Merchanting

-Showing wealth/Age

-How good of a staker you are

-Fun drop at parties

And those four things are all over runescape. Take out the rare market, you've only got the showing of age.

Best Solution would be alot more money drains... This wouldnt decrease the value of rares but might stop the rising prices...I cant see many people complaining about prices not rising fast enough