1UP reviews Runescape HD

stevepole

"RuneScape as been enjoyed by over 120 million people since its launch in 2001." This hyperbolic phrase leads off the recent press release heralding the arrival of RuneScape High Detail. Of course, this doesn't mean that 120 million people are actually playing the game. Based on recent interviews with Jagex, RuneScape boasts 9 million active players -- 6 million who will log in during any given two week period. Over 1 million of these active users pay $5 a month to access content beyond the claimed 100 hours of free content. But even if it's not 120 million, legions of players have voted with their browsers, and there's no denying RuneScape is simply huge.

RuneScape HD is an unadulterated gift to the faithful.

RuneScape HD isn't suddenly a contender for the World of Warcraft throne -- and with a business model based on low-value add-on subscriptions to a free game, Jagex isn't aiming at WoW customers. They are however in striking distance of aging, low-power MMOs like Ultima Online. While the HD engine doesn't compete with Ultima's 2007 update (Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn), it moves a step closer for players still on older clients due to system requirements. RuneScape is in a market niche all its own. It skews young and low-fi. But never underestimate the power of "free," and the revenue potential of the upsell to "cheap." The RuneScape facelift is a solid step forward for the RuneScape faithful, requiring no expense, or even effort. It's a rare free lunch in gaming.

Runescape HD got an A- as its average rating by editors and user's of 1UP

With the new graphical update it is clear that runescape is attracting some new attention, but will reviews like this continue?

Runescape HD review by 1UP

tFtfA.jpg

With the new graphical update it is clear that runescape is attracting some new attention, but will reviews like this continue?
Tune in next time to: As the world turns

Sorry. :oops: New graphics look nice for a java game, although in post-WoW days I don't think many game sites will appreciate rs's new graphics as much.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

What's basically being said is, RuneScape is a great low-requirement and cheap (and free) online game -- and the new graphics are adding to it.

Well we knew that :P

I'm not sure why people keep drawing the comparison between RS and WoW, as the reviewer herself said, RS is in a different market (although I don't quite agree that's it's the one of aging Ultima online players). Graphics should basically not be compared since WoW runs on a completely different engine that requires a 4.3GB install and a 2 minute load time. RS has a very minimal install, and loads in a handful of seconds. It's like saying a marathoner ran more distance than a sprinter, therefore the marathoner was the better runner. No, they just run by a different set of rules.

Another issue that I don't like when people consider RS is purely its graphical value. Note how sites like 1Up and Gametrailers only just started to post runescape content like this. Why? Because of it's newly updated graphics, which they draw a line directly to warcraft. WoW does have better graphics for the technical reasons I mentioned, but what about the gameplay? I used to play WoW for a few months and I just found it uninspired when compared to RS; anyone who says that they both have grinding is right, but only warcraft has endlessly long walking trips, bland quests, and a bad skill system. Why didn't the reviewer consider these things into her review, surely they would have made an impression.

But no, instead she decided to compare graphics.

People, reviewers in this case, usually only mention about graphics because it's the easiest thing to compare. Gameplay and more complex issues are normally only mentioned briefly because these reviewers haven't played the game (at all or enough) to say much about it. To be able to compare two games on a deeper level requires much more thinking and time, therefore people go on about the graphics.

I'm not sure why people keep drawing the comparison between RS and WoW, as the reviewer herself said, RS is in a different market (although I don't quite agree that's it's the one of aging Ultima online players). Graphics should basically not be compared since WoW runs on a completely different engine that requires a 4.3GB install and a 2 minute load time. RS has a very minimal install, and loads in a handful of seconds. It's like saying a marathoner ran more distance than a sprinter, therefore the marathoner was the better runner. No, they just run by a different set of rules.

Another issue that I don't like when people consider RS is purely its graphical value. Note how sites like 1Up and Gametrailers only just started to post runescape content like this. Why? Because of it's newly updated graphics, which they draw a line directly to warcraft. WoW does have better graphics for the technical reasons I mentioned, but what about the gameplay? I used to play WoW for a few months and I just found it uninspired when compared to RS; anyone who says that they both have grinding is right, but only warcraft has endlessly long walking trips, bland quests, and a bad skill system. Why didn't the reviewer consider these things into her review, surely they would have made an impression.

But no, instead she decided to compare graphics.

I'm afraid the vast majority of gamers and reviewers disagree with you.

Saying not to compare the two games on graphics and then complaining about WoW's skill system is a bit hypocritical. The two shouldn't be compared but if you are going to make a comment on WoW at least acknowledge it's strengths when you compare it against Runescape, oh and at least get to level 40 for a mount (you made it sound like you were lower).

To all those people that thought the graphics updates were not important, trying playing on a high resolution LCD screen. You either squint to see the tiny window, or lower the irresolution and deal with a blurry, non-native screen. Fullscreen alone would be amazing for me, and much to my suprise I f ound that the new graphics really increased my enjoyment of the game. Quests and boss fights are much more realistic and enjoyable. The only downside is a few annoying glitches, but I'm assuming they will be fixed. Jagex seems to be broadening its horizions; New graphics, new bank, raised subscription, lots of new stuff for ftp, Jagex store, Runescape novel, new player tutorial etc... Hopefully they'll attract plenty of subscribers, resulting in more income and hopefully updates.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks