Advanced Farming Route

De_Lille_D

Wow one of the best farming guides i've read, can't wait to try this out.

9.5/10

Don't really understand this part though,

ALWAYS wear your Magic secateurs while harvesting and ALWAYS use supercompost on everything except trees, fruit trees and bushes (for better harvest and disease immunity). Calquat is the only kind of tree you should use it for.

Shouldn't it be 'ALWAYS use compost on everything' because supercompost is needed more on fruit trees, bushes and trees. Or because your paying the farmer? :?

Supercompost partly protects your plant from disease and it increases the harvest.

You pay for trees, so you won't need protection there. Bushes almost never die, even without compost (poison ivies can't even get diseased). Also, the harvest on these plants won't change if you add supercompost, so there really is no reason to waste it; you could sell it instead.

I'll make some adjustments to make it more understandable.

By the way, now I see i forgot to remove something: recently the Calquat tree got a farmer to protect it, so supercompost is no longer needed.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, a good farming route guide. Thanks for the info on Harmony, sounds very good to use.

Brillant guide, but perhaps times of day you should do a farming run would be nice. (Like, in the morning times for trees and possibly others.)

And, the use of the serach box on your window. (Assuming your not playing in full screen.) On how you can keep track of your next farming run. (For example, if I did a farming run at 6:00pm I can put 7:15pm [6] in the serach box. )

Also, a miniguide to herb (or other branches of farming I suppose.) farming. Profit margins ect. (If you plan to, make sure to take note of how useful the cabbage-port is for herb farming in the draynor patch.) Would be good I guess.

Good guide, well done. :thumbup:

Finally, a good farming route guide. Thanks for the info on Harmony, sounds very good to use.

Brillant guide, but perhaps times of day you should do a farming run would be nice. (Like, in the morning times for trees and possibly others.)

And, the use of the serach box on your window. (Assuming your not playing in full screen.) On how you can keep track of your next farming run. (For example, if I did a farming run at 6:00pm I can put 7:15pm [6] in the serach box. )

Also, a miniguide to herb (or other branches of farming I suppose.) farming. Profit margins ect. (If you plan to, make sure to take note of how useful the cabbage-port is for herb farming in the draynor patch.) Would be good I guess.

Good guide, well done. :thumbup:

Time of day:

In this guide I assume you wait for all your plants to grow (if you want to do more run, you'll have to come up with them yourself). Fruit trees take 14.6 hours to grow, so it could be complex to wait exactly that amount of time before doing another run; I just wait untill the next day before going on another run. This way, I also get to the Miscellania and Jade Vine minigames every day and I don't need reminders.

Herb farming:

I don't really understand what you mean by 'herb farming'. If you mean extra runs, only doing herbs: I won't help you with additional runs, because I'm not personally interested in doing them.

Profit margin:

Profit and loss depends on the seeds you bring, which depend on your level; there are too many possibilities.

Cabbage-port:

I've been trying out the cabbage-port (last run was very promising). I'll probably add it soon, but keep the old one for players who can't finish the Lumbridge Hard Diary.

Added a new possibility for part 3 (Draynor) by using the Explorer ring (3). I also made some adjustments (telling you when to deposit buckets and drop plant pots).

I'll probably rearrange the parts soon, because for the moment, I have to dismiss a Terrorbird with 29 minutes left on the timer to get on Entrana (maybe switch parts 3 and 4, or 2 and 3).

BTW, 69 Farming \' Kinky ...

Amazing Guide!!!!

Thanks.

Wow, great guide. \'

Bull Ant (40): Carries 9 items

Spirit Terrorbird (52): Carries 12 items, scroll: partly restore run energy [Cheap and useful]

Bull ant's restore energy too, believe it or not.

Yes, I love summoning. :lol:

Thanks.

I'll add it (I just looked at the Knowledge Base to see what familiars can be used for Farming).

And I know you like Summoning; I post my charm drop result on your guide every time I can.

Brilliant guide!

Good job :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Just ran through and did your guide for the first time. Took me 1.5 hours lol. It'll probably lower once I get better, though. :)

Yeah, it's normal to be slower in the beginning, but after a while you won't even have to look at the short version anymore. Just keep doing it every day before you do anything else on Runescape.

I read through your guide throughly. NEVER use anything but snapdragons, unless you can make over 1.6m/hour, which is how much you make. Each run takes 5 minutes, and each run yields over 80k, while Kwuarms, irits, ect makes alot less.

Do you mean for all the herb patches or only for the protected one (at Trollheim)?

Each runs takes 5 minutes? What run are you talking about, because it takes me 70 minutes to do a full trip (i'm guessing you didn't mean that).

5 minutes for only herb runs. Herbs grow extremely fast compared to the other patches, and is the only patch which is worth doing AT ALL TIMES. As in you should never stop even if you quit farming. All herb patches. The money lost on seeds is made up for the money gained back. Average 6.5 snaps/seed

7k/snap, 30k/seed.

So 45.5k/seed - 30k = 15.5k x 5 patches = 77.5k.

Irits and the like on the other hand costs 1k per seed (nothing), but gives 1k per herb which is 6.5k profit per patch, compared to the 15.5k from snaps.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

5 minutes for only herb runs. Herbs grow extremely fast compared to the other patches, and is the only patch which is worth doing AT ALL TIMES. As in you should never stop even if you quit farming. All herb patches. The money lost on seeds is made up for the money gained back. Average 6.5 snaps/seed

7k/snap, 30k/seed.

Irits and the like on the other hand costs 1k per seed (nothing), but gives 1k per herb which is 6.5k profit per patch, compared to the 15.5k from snaps.

Personally, I don't do any other run except the big one, once a day (or every few days if I don't feel like it). But i've never considered using expensive seed on normal herb patches ... I'll try it tomorrow.

The fastest growing plant is Evil Turnip (5 minutes), then come the flowers (17.5 minutes) then the herbs (75 minutes).

7k/snap, 30k/seed.

Personally, I don't do any other run except the big one, once a day (or every few days if I don't feel like it). But i've never considered using expensive seed on normal herb patches ... I'll try it tomorrow.

The fastest growing plant is Evil Turnip (5 minutes), then come the flowers (17.5 minutes) then the herbs (75 minutes).

Evil turnips aren't worth growing, and flowers well... they go with herbs.

This is from Zarfot, should change your mind about farming high level seeds. ALWAYS worth it.

[hide=]

7. Farming

I actually had started training farming during the summer, before I had even started this goal. Although I had started out doing high level herbs from 77 to 80, I quickly realized that if I was to get 99 farming in a reasonable amount of time, I would have to use trees. However, I do wish I had continued farming snapdragons in addition to trees.

Farming is definitely an underrated skill. Farming all 5 herb patches only takes about 5 minutes, and farming all 11 tree (including tree, fruit tree, and calquat) patches takes about 9 minutes. If you look at the time you actually spend farming, snapdragons give about 40k farming xp per hour and +900k cash per hour, while yews/palms/cal*uats gives about 400k farming xp per hour and -5000k cash per hour. Balancing the two methods to break even would give about 95k farming xp per hour and +0k cash per hour.

So, anyway, I mostly did yews/palms/cal*uats from 80 to about 97 farming, and then switched over to magics/palms/cal*uats. I bought all my seeds gradually over a period of several months, so prices varied! I'd estimate I used about 600 yews (75k to 90k each), 600 palms (75k to 93k each), 100 magics (170k to 200k each), and 100 cal*uats (40k to 50k each), though I did not keep track exactly.

I typically did a tree run once per day at approximately the same time, though every once in a while I missed a day or two. 99 farming cost me about 120M and took 25 hours from when I started training with trees in August, though that 25 hours was, of course, spread out over 5 months.

The following is the fastest way to farm all the tree patches.

This assumes you have a Spirit Tree planted in the patch at Brimhaven. You can still farm quickly without one, however, since you can use a Charter Ship to get to Brimhaven.

Use Lunar Magic and have your house in Brimhaven.

Set up your bank so you can withdraw everything really fast. That means all those items named below are pretty much in one line.

During the round, drop all empty plant pots and vials, and drink doses of energy potion when needed, while running.

Do not pay the farmers to watch yews. Because only about 1/7 of the trees die, you'd have to spend over 200k in cactus spines to save just one yew seed! For magics, however, it is worth it to pay coconuts (plus you get more xp per hour because you have to do fewer runs), and for palms, it is worth it to pay papayas.

Cash is needed to pay the farmers to chop down the yews or magics (200gp each).

Items needed for one run: 1000gp, mithril axe, rake, spade, 36 astrals, 22 natures, 3 laws, 5 yew/magic saplings, 5 palm saplings, varrock tab, lumbridge tab, falador tab, teleport crystal, magic log, normal log, 75 papaya, (125 coconuts if needed), 3 energy potions; ring of dueling and mud battlestaff worn.

The mud battlestaff can be swapped with an earth battlestaff or lava battlestaff if you carry 10 water runes in your inventory.

About 50 teleport crystals (3) are needed for 99 farming doing tree runs like this.

Feel free to use a Spirit Terrorbird for its Tireless Run special and extra inventory, but it doesn't matter much.

Order: How to get there- Location of patch (Type of tree)

- Tab to Falador- Falador park (Yew)

- Tab to Lumbridge- Behind Lumbridge Castle (Yew)

- Tab to Varrock- Varrock Castle (Yew)

- Dueling ring to Castlewars and Balloon to Taverley- by the gate (Yew)

- Balloon to Gnome Stronghold- by the Agility Course (Palm)

- Run southwest- Gnome stronghold (Yew)

- Run northeast to Spirit tree- Brimhaven (Palm)

- Spirit tree- Outside Tree Gnome Village (Palm)

- Teleport crystal- Lletya (Palm)

- Catherby teleport- Catherby (Palm) [Also stop in Catherby bank quick to deposit Coconuts and withdraw a Calquat sapling, house tab, and 2 energy pots]

- Tab to house- Tai Bwo Wannai (Calquat)

Times to farm all 11 patches: About 9 minutes on average

Xp gained per run: About 86.5k on average (if doing yews)

Cost per run: About 850k (if doing yews)

Here's the fastest method to farm herbs.

Items needed:

Spade, seed dibber, rake, 24 astrals, 9 laws, 2 cosmics, 20 natures, 10 waters, Ectophial, 5 snapdragon seeds (or another kind of herb seed), 2 tireless run scrolls, spirit terrorbird pouch

Worn: Amulet of glory, Lava battlestaff, Magic secataurs, Explorers Ring

The method:

- Summon your spirit terrorbird, cast spellbook swap, and teleport to Trollheim. Climb down and go to the patch in Troll Stronghold. Teleport back to Edgeville and bank herbs if needed.

- Teleport to the Fishing Guild; run east to the patch near Ardougne. You may need to put some herbs in your Spirit Terrorbird.

- Use the Ectophial and farm the patch to the west.

- Use your glory to teleport to Edgeville, bank all your herbs, and use your Explorer's Ring to teleport to the herb patch northwest of Draynor.

- Use Catherby teleport and farm the patch there.

It should take about 5 minutes per run and you should average about 6.5 herbs per patch. Snapdragons are the best money out of any herb as they give about 900k profit per hour spent farming.

If you don't have 96 magic for Spellbook Swap, use Normal Magics. Use Camelot Teleport instead of Catherby teleport, use buckets of supercompost instead of Fertile soil, and use Skills necklaces instead of Fishing Guild teleport.

You can cast Spellbook Swap at 93 magic with a wizard mind bomb if you really want to.

[/hide]

inuyashakent-2.png

[hide=De Lille D]

7k/snap, 30k/seed.

[/hide]

Evil turnips aren't worth growing, and flowers well... they go with herbs.

This is from Zarfot, should change your mind about farming high level seeds. ALWAYS worth it.

[hide=Zarfot]7. Farming

I actually had started training farming during the summer, before I had even started this goal. Although I had started out doing high level herbs from 77 to 80, I quickly realized that if I was to get 99 farming in a reasonable amount of time, I would have to use trees. However, I do wish I had continued farming snapdragons in addition to trees.

Farming is definitely an underrated skill. Farming all 5 herb patches only takes about 5 minutes, and farming all 11 tree (including tree, fruit tree, and calquat) patches takes about 9 minutes. If you look at the time you actually spend farming, snapdragons give about 40k farming xp per hour and +900k cash per hour, while yews/palms/cal*uats gives about 400k farming xp per hour and -5000k cash per hour. Balancing the two methods to break even would give about 95k farming xp per hour and +0k cash per hour.

So, anyway, I mostly did yews/palms/cal*uats from 80 to about 97 farming, and then switched over to magics/palms/cal*uats. I bought all my seeds gradually over a period of several months, so prices varied! I'd estimate I used about 600 yews (75k to 90k each), 600 palms (75k to 93k each), 100 magics (170k to 200k each), and 100 cal*uats (40k to 50k each), though I did not keep track exactly.

I typically did a tree run once per day at approximately the same time, though every once in a while I missed a day or two. 99 farming cost me about 120M and took 25 hours from when I started training with trees in August, though that 25 hours was, of course, spread out over 5 months.

The following is the fastest way to farm all the tree patches.

This assumes you have a Spirit Tree planted in the patch at Brimhaven. You can still farm quickly without one, however, since you can use a Charter Ship to get to Brimhaven.

Use Lunar Magic and have your house in Brimhaven.

Set up your bank so you can withdraw everything really fast. That means all those items named below are pretty much in one line.

During the round, drop all empty plant pots and vials, and drink doses of energy potion when needed, while running.

Do not pay the farmers to watch yews. Because only about 1/7 of the trees die, you'd have to spend over 200k in cactus spines to save just one yew seed! For magics, however, it is worth it to pay coconuts (plus you get more xp per hour because you have to do fewer runs), and for palms, it is worth it to pay papayas.

Cash is needed to pay the farmers to chop down the yews or magics (200gp each).

Items needed for one run: 1000gp, mithril axe, rake, spade, 36 astrals, 22 natures, 3 laws, 5 yew/magic saplings, 5 palm saplings, varrock tab, lumbridge tab, falador tab, teleport crystal, magic log, normal log, 75 papaya, (125 coconuts if needed), 3 energy potions; ring of dueling and mud battlestaff worn.

The mud battlestaff can be swapped with an earth battlestaff or lava battlestaff if you carry 10 water runes in your inventory.

About 50 teleport crystals (3) are needed for 99 farming doing tree runs like this.

Feel free to use a Spirit Terrorbird for its Tireless Run special and extra inventory, but it doesn't matter much.

Order: How to get there- Location of patch (Type of tree)

- Tab to Falador- Falador park (Yew)

- Tab to Lumbridge- Behind Lumbridge Castle (Yew)

- Tab to Varrock- Varrock Castle (Yew)

- Dueling ring to Castlewars and Balloon to Taverley- by the gate (Yew)

- Balloon to Gnome Stronghold- by the Agility Course (Palm)

- Run southwest- Gnome stronghold (Yew)

- Run northeast to Spirit tree- Brimhaven (Palm)

- Spirit tree- Outside Tree Gnome Village (Palm)

- Teleport crystal- Lletya (Palm)

- Catherby teleport- Catherby (Palm) [Also stop in Catherby bank quick to deposit Coconuts and withdraw a Calquat sapling, house tab, and 2 energy pots]

- Tab to house- Tai Bwo Wannai (Calquat)

Times to farm all 11 patches: About 9 minutes on average

Xp gained per run: About 86.5k on average (if doing yews)

Cost per run: About 850k (if doing yews)

Here's the fastest method to farm herbs.

Items needed:

Spade, seed dibber, rake, 24 astrals, 9 laws, 2 cosmics, 20 natures, 10 waters, Ectophial, 5 snapdragon seeds (or another kind of herb seed), 2 tireless run scrolls, spirit terrorbird pouch

Worn: Amulet of glory, Lava battlestaff, Magic secataurs, Explorers Ring

The method:

- Summon your spirit terrorbird, cast spellbook swap, and teleport to Trollheim. Climb down and go to the patch in Troll Stronghold. Teleport back to Edgeville and bank herbs if needed.

- Teleport to the Fishing Guild; run east to the patch near Ardougne. You may need to put some herbs in your Spirit Terrorbird.

- Use the Ectophial and farm the patch to the west.

- Use your glory to teleport to Edgeville, bank all your herbs, and use your Explorer's Ring to teleport to the herb patch northwest of Draynor.

- Use Catherby teleport and farm the patch there.

It should take about 5 minutes per run and you should average about 6.5 herbs per patch. Snapdragons are the best money out of any herb as they give about 900k profit per hour spent farming.

If you don't have 96 magic for Spellbook Swap, use Normal Magics. Use Camelot Teleport instead of Catherby teleport, use buckets of supercompost instead of Fertile soil, and use Skills necklaces instead of Fishing Guild teleport.

You can cast Spellbook Swap at 93 magic with a wizard mind bomb if you really want to.

[/hide]

I never said evil turnips were worth it, I just mentioned that they are faster than herbs.

If you plan enough herb runs, you could still do flowers. Let's say you want to do 5 trips, just plant marigold (best money-making flower) during your 1st to 3rd trip and plant nasturtiums during your 4 one, so you can check on them during your last run.

This way you'll get more money and still be sure your watermelons are protected.

I never said I thought expensive herb seeds were worse then cheap ones. I'll try it out before I add it thought (if it doesn't work, I'll get a lot of angry posts!).

Also, I didn't know yew trees were so resistant to disease! Might save me some money...

PS: Next time you quote a guide, please put it in a hide.

PPS: Who the hell is Zarfot?

Oops, I meant to hide it. Well... Zarfot is... simply put the best guide writer in all of Runescape. srsly

Read, or at least scim all of these guides if you havn't in the past. The last one is a blog, but explains how he obtained each 99 in a guide-like fashion.

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,241,57359284

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,453,56533177

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,616,55289941

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?48,49,616,57287684

inuyashakent-2.png

Oops, I meant to hide it. Well... Zarfot is... simply put the best guide writer in all of Runescape. srsly

Read, or at least scim all of these guides if you havn't in the past. The last one is a blog, but explains how he obtained each 99 in a guide-like fashion.

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,241,57359284

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,453,56533177

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?22,23,616,55289941

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?48,49,616,57287684

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to read them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic guide, absolutely adore it! So detailed, explaining everything instead of simply stating to do something. Thanks for that.

Been following the long guide closely for a bit, and the only thing that I noticed was related to the Entrana / Rimmington patches. You state to withdraw a Supercompost on the way to Entrana from the Leprechaun at the Spirit Tree patch west of draynor. However, you also say to withdraw one on Entrana from the Leprechaun. Since you only need one for the Hops patch and no Supercompost for the Bush, it results in you having to put another Supercompost into the Leprechaun at Rimmington.

Looking back over this I realise that this may be to keep the numbers of buckets and supercompost in leprechauns the same, sorry if that is the case.

Fantastic guide, absolutely adore it! So detailed, explaining everything instead of simply stating to do something. Thanks for that.

Been following the long guide closely for a bit, and the only thing that I noticed was related to the Entrana / Rimmington patches. You state to withdraw a Supercompost on the way to Entrana from the Leprechaun at the Spirit Tree patch west of draynor. However, you also say to withdraw one on Entrana from the Leprechaun. Since you only need one for the Hops patch and no Supercompost for the Bush, it results in you having to put another Supercompost into the Leprechaun at Rimmington.

Looking back over this I realise that this may be to keep the numbers of buckets and supercompost in leprechauns the same, sorry if that is the case.

Thanks, I put a lot of time in making it (obviously).

Well, I stand corrected: you shouldn't have to withdraw a supercompost at Entrana, if you do so at the spirit tree.

I try to keep my time on Entrana as short as possible, because I drop a Terrorbird pouch and some scrolls before going there (Summoning items aren't allowed on the island), so I prefer to withdraw a supercompost at the spirit tree in Port Sarim.

It won't change much, but if you do withdraw the compost at Entrana, it will slightly increase the chance of your pouch/scrolls disappearing or being picked up by someone else.

Normally, if you follow my guide word by word, your amount of supercomposts and buckets at the leprechaun should remain the same (change the amount to withdraw/deposit depending on which crops you (don't) grow)). If it doesn't, simply chose an amount of composts and buckets and make sure that after every run, you have that amount in the leprechaun...

Try to respect the inventories I put up: they make sure you always have the same amount of buckets/supercompost after every run. Remember to adjust them if you don't plant certain plants.

(taken from point 6:Tips)

Furthermore, I thought of an idea, but I simply don't have the time to update the guide:

If you bring an upgraded broom from the new quest (with Maggy the witch), you can save a glory charge, by operating it and teleporting to the minigame southeast of Alkahrid (?spelling)...

Also, seeing I'm in university now, I can't make a lot of adjustments to the guide, if you do have possible improvements, post them and I'll add a section for it.