360 + Linux + WoW = WoW on the 360?

Kill_Thomas9

Ok.. I'm a noob at these sort of things, but this seems to my un-edjumacated brain that this should be possible.

Since you can install Linux on the 360 http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/30/hack ... it-easier/

And you run WoW with Linux http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/459/

Wouldn't it be possible to run WoW on the 360?

(And don't forget that I'm a total nub at this stuff, so sorry if this is like saying "Hmm.. If we have sawdust, and we take the dust out, won't we get a saw? =P~ #-o " in programming terms.

Good luck on mapping all the skills on 1 controller and considering WoW on my hard drive takes up around 9GB and I have no idea on how much Linux takes up, you will need a new hard drive, considering you can get WoW on it in the first place.

eggzs.png

Good luck on mapping all the skills on 1 controller and considering WoW on my hard drive takes up around 9GB and I have no idea on how much Linux takes up, you will need a new hard drive, considering you can get WoW on it in the first place.

You can use a USB Keyboard/mouse through the 4 USB ports on the 360. Also, 9GB of WoW plus at the most 20GB of Linux on a 120 Gig HD isn't much. It is very easy to get WoW onto the 360 the same way as you get Linux on the 360. I know all the physical aspects will work. I just don't know if the software is compatable.

xbox360 elite has like 120gb I think.. so space isn't an issue.. dunno how it would work out lol but it is possible...

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

The reason I'm interested is becaue the 360 has THREE 64bit PPC cores running at 3.2 GHz each which imo is friggin insane, and should be able to run WoW at max detail.

Doubted that until I read it on Xbox.ca

I'm not entirely sure whether it means 10GB instead of 10MB of embedded DRAM in the "Custom ATI Graphics Processor"

Also, wouldn't it be better to have 4GB of RAM and 1 of those processors versus 512MB and 3?

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

The reason I'm interested is becaue the 360 has THREE 64bit PPC cores running at 3.2 GHz each which imo is friggin insane, and should be able to run WoW at max detail.

But the GPU is equivalent to a Geforce 7800GTX which was one of the top cards 2 years ago and is already obsolete, but still its enough to Max out WoW. I heard somewhere that the PS3 has what is like a 7 core processor but I have no idea on how Console games are optimised so I think that they mostly use CPU's instead of GPU's.

eggzs.png

Doubted that until I read it on Xbox.ca

I'm not entirely sure whether it means 10GB instead of 10MB of embedded DRAM in the "Custom ATI Graphics Processor"

Also, wouldn't it be better to have 4GB of RAM and 1 of those processors versus 512MB and 3?

No. I have 2 processors and 4 gigs of ram (2 2gig chips). I don't even use half the RAM. Graphics on the other hand... I have the crappiest graphics card ever. ATI RadeonHD2600. I'll tell you right now, that thing gets burnt up playing WoW.

And I'm not sure what they mean by 10MB DRAM.

Edit:

Aha! I've figured it out!

Notice how Linux was running so slow? Well that is due to the lack of RAM. When playing games, there isn't much data to be stored in the RAM. It all goes through the processors, and uses almost no RAM. Running Linux on the other hand (I imagine) uses just as much RAM as any other OS, and seeing as there isn't much RAM, it runs slowly.

Does anybody more.. qualified want to confirm what I said?

I am not an expert, but yes, you are right. (Again i am not an expert)1

It will run quite slow, but it's possible, who knows. :pray:

Off Topic:

I had never seen the Xbox 360 specs, but after checking them with the Ps3, the Xbox has double the Polygon performance that the Ps3, which allows smoother play.

That made me think, all the processors on the Ps3 will never be used if they can't display the image.

In gaming, RAM is one of the most important things as the hierachy for alot of games goes GPU>RAM>CPU as stuff needs to be stored on RAM before it is processed by the CPU (correct me if I'm wrong). Having insufficinet RAM will leave framerates very choppy.

And no operating system uses the same amount of RAM, having 512mb of it for XP is enough for general browsing but having that for Vista will make your system crawl.

eggzs.png

Don't throw it in yet, WoW was made in 2004 i think when Dual Cores didnt exist, now Dual Cores are standard with Quads becoming more and more cheaper for the average consumer so more games are being developed for dual/quad and Im positive that there will be an optimisation update for WoW (if there isnt already) when WotLK comes out or later/sooner.

eggzs.png

WoW has been optomised for dual cores since patch 2.2 (currently on path 2.4.3) which I believe came out late '07. I made a post on the official WoW forums inquiring about quad core optomization, but I would bet on a patch 3.2 update for quad cores.

In gaming, RAM is one of the most important things as the hierachy for alot of games goes GPU>RAM>CPU as stuff needs to be stored on RAM before it is processed by the CPU (correct me if I'm wrong). Having insufficinet RAM will leave framerates very choppy.

And no operating system uses the same amount of RAM, having 512mb of it for XP is enough for general browsing but having that for Vista will make your system crawl.

If that is the case, how does the 360 run on just 512mb of RAM?

I think because it wouldnt have all the programs running in the background, like virus/spyware scanners and stuff.

mgssteelwarol7.png

I think because it wouldnt have all the programs running in the background, like virus/spyware scanners and stuff.

Ok. That's what I was trying to say 8 posts ago. In that case, I would have to figure out a way to hide the Linux OS or somehow reduce the amount of memory it takes while playing the game.

No because it would have to use linux to play the game regardless .. It wouldnt happen cause you cant compress that much ram.

Damn... I wish there was a way to play it without going through the OS...

Even on 512mb ram its gonna run like [cabbage] =/

Because to get it to workd youd be compressing more ram than you have as it is =/

No because it would have to use linux to play the game regardless .. It wouldnt happen cause you cant compress that much ram.

Damn... I wish there was a way to play it without going through the OS...

Even on 512mb ram its gonna run like [cabbage] =/

Because to get it to workd youd be compressing more ram than you have as it is =/

I still don't understand how everybody says wow will run like [cabbage] on the 360 when FFXI runs great. If anything, Final Fantasy should take more RAM due to the better graphics.

FFXI was optimized to take advantage of the 360. WoW is not. Also, with WoW, you have to run it AND linux not to mention run it through wine which will be even slower.

Oh, alright. Thanks for the reply. I guess this isn't possible in that case (or worth the effort and voiding the warranty).