The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos Of All Time

Da Pirates

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar solos suck.

Saying everything sucks sucks.

While they all have good solos, it's quite a shame about them all being very very popular songs. I know plenty of Metallica songs that have better solos than One, and there should be some more Iron Maiden taking up the first few ranks.

They call it 'greatest', but it's voted by fans. So they should really call it "most popular guitar solos".

I don't even pretend to know a lot about classic rock/classic hard rock/metal etc., but I can tell you that is a weak list. Smells Like Teen Spirit...I've heard it dozens/hundreds of times, and I actually had to go on youtube to even see if there was a guitar solo in it, which there sort of is, I guess. And somehow it's like 25. There are a bunch of other ones like that. It left me feelin confused.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Here's why that list absolutely fails:

Eruption. One of the easiest guitar solos of all time

It's cliche, but I think Jambi's solo is well crafted in technique along with an odd time signature(6/4. I'd put it near Money by Pink Floyd) At least put Tool on the list.

Stairway to Heaven. GREAT song, but not that great of a solo.

Here's why that list is pretty damn good:

NO WHITE STRIPES. Finally a list that doesn't include the absolutely over-hyped Jack White.

Tom Morello. Some of the most innovative ways to play the guitar were started with this guy.

Frank Zappa. 'Nuff said.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Here's why that list absolutely fails:

Eruption. One of the easiest guitar solos of all time

It's cliche, but I think Jambi's solo is well crafted in technique along with an odd time signature(6/4. I'd put it near Money by Pink Floyd) At least put Tool on the list.

Stairway to Heaven. GREAT song, but not that great of a solo.

Here's why that list is pretty damn good:

NO WHITE STRIPES. Finally a list that doesn't include the absolutely over-hyped Jack White.

Tom Morello. Some of the most innovative ways to play the guitar were started with this guy.

Frank Zappa. 'Nuff said.

Just because Tom Morello's techniques were innovative, doesn't mean they sound good in any song that's not by RATM. Anyways, I think that Mr. Crowley should be higher and Crazy Train lower. Also, the solo from Iron Man is definitely one of the 100 best.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

Just because Tom Morello's techniques were innovative, doesn't mean they sound good in any song that's not by RATM. Anyways, I think that Mr. Crowley should be higher and Crazy Train lower. Also, the solo from Iron Man is definitely one of the 100 best.

Actually, I think you could take many of his solos out of their songs and they would be just as good. I just saw Rage last Wednesday, and Morello did a few minute-long solos with nothing but a drum beat or nothing at all behind them.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Those lists are always clichés, often the voters just seem to go for their favourite songs with guitars in them, not necessarily solos.

I can't really be bothered searching, but Maggot Brain by Funkadelic doesn't appear to be on there (at least not in the top 40), which frankly throws the rest of the list into question.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

That list is okay but then again, what do I know. I'll leave it to the experts for ongoing discussion and debate (and hair-pulling).

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

Adio said solos suck. Which seems to a bit too strong. I'm not a fan of long solos either, because most of the time they seem to be nothing more than an ordinary display of a technical ability. Some kind of trick, that adds nothing to the song. There are exceptions on the rule of course.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I'm not going to run through the list, i just hope "Beat It" by Michael Jackson is in there somewhere.

And Frankenstein by the Edgar Winters Group.

Beat It is. Frankenstein is not.

The list is pretty hit and miss. RATM is beast, but why Bulls on Parade is higher than Killing in the Name, and why either of them are on there to begin with, I have no clue. Also, it fails for having Stairway to Heaven and Eruption as the top 2.

p2gq.jpg

Why Bulls on Parade is higher than Killing in the Name, and why either of them are on there to begin with, I have no clue. Also, it fails for having Stairway to Heaven and Eruption as the top 2.

Bulls On Parade is a pretty unique "scratching" solo, while Killing's solo is just a whammy pedal with some sixtuplets (which are at a very slow tempo, I might add). I can see the justification of Bulls' solo, but I would argue that the solo in Testify is better than the one in Bulls, hell, he plays with his amp cord...

But I definitely agree with you on the second part of your statement.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I gotta say, most stuff fan-voted just doesn't work out being good. I'd agree with some parts of that list, but there are some that're just silly. As was said, it seems like people were just voting for their favourite songs with guitars in, not the best solos specifically. Meh.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

It might be flawed in a few spots, but I don't understand how it can be "epic fail" as you describe it. Do you have a solo in mind you would like to see on the list? I know I have at least one, maybe two. I'm really getting sick of 13 year-old internet morons finding pictures of Captain Kirk facepalming or something that says FAIL, and applying it to something that might just be slightly misconstrued or incorrect. The only thing that "fails" here is you. I'm sure someone of your musical knowledge (judging by the Guitar Hero signature you have) should have obviously been appointed to come up with this list.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

The only thing that "fails" here is you. I'm sure someone of your musical knowledge (judging by the Guitar Hero signature you have) should have obviously been appointed to come up with this list.

Rofl :lol:

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

It might be flawed in a few spots, but I don't understand how it can be "epic fail" as you describe it. Do you have a solo in mind you would like to see on the list? I know I have at least one, maybe two. I'm really getting sick of 13 year-old internet morons finding pictures of Captain Kirk facepalming or something that says FAIL, and applying it to something that might just be slightly misconstrued or incorrect. The only thing that "fails" here is you. I'm sure someone of your musical knowledge (judging by the Guitar Hero signature you have) should have obviously been appointed to come up with this list.

He's at a concert at the moment, so don't expect a reply soon.

That pic is actually a sort of private joke, and he made it himself. I think he just wanted an excuse to post it. He is also seventeen and knows considerably more about music than I do.

---

To respond to what you said about Rage earlier, I actually couldn't recall there even being a solo in KITN. Now I can play it all the way through in my head o_0.

PS: Mlb, excuse the crude use of tired internet memes, but you fail harder than just about anything. Not epically, as that implies greatness, just pure unadulterated fail.

p2gq.jpg