Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Danger Will Robinson! (The do's and dont's in computing)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Arixe
[ Display Name History ]

Arixe

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
Monitors

NEVER open a monitor. You will most likely void your warranty for nothing seeing as theres nothing you can really do to fix a dead monitor.

Just like most PSU's and TV's, they have capacitors that can store quite a big charge. At the very least it will knock you on your [wagon] (I've seen a capacitor melt the tip of a screwdriver, think about your finger touching it :thumbdown: )

And as a general rule for all computers, if you don't know what will happen...Dont do it :lol:

Orpheus
[ Display Name History ]

Orpheus

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,783 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I've touched the capacitator on a monitor, it threw me back a few feet, into a wall, that hurt like hell, so yeah, I can vouch for it. not to mention my finger is burnt to a crisp almost, it's recovering though.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

MrBowser
[ Display Name History ]

MrBowser

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 377 posts
I'm relatively sure that all those capacitors don't exist on laptops - I've taken apart it's PSU, and saw no capacitors. Likewise around the screen. I think laptops are pretty much harmless :)
That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem
of innocence inside of you that makes you want
to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,
that decency will somehow triumph in the end.
--Lise Hand

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
With larger screens, single monitors mostly the likelyhood of getting badly zapped is much higher.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

dragoonson
[ Display Name History ]

dragoonson

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,915 posts
  • Location:Singapore,the Hell-Hole.Give it a year.Then you'll know where it is.
  • RSN:Dragoonson
  • RSN2:Guild Sane
  • Clan:Alfheim's Einherjar...VIKING!
If adjusting pc wires,and you need to pull out the pc itself,never stick your finger near the fan.Hurt like a mother and it broke a nail. :boohoo:
Posted Image
so i herd u liek devarts?
If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".
This's why I'm hot

eggzs
[ Display Name History ]

eggzs

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 918 posts
If your PSU is faulty, don't open it up. Even if its unplugged and everything, the capacitors still have enough charged stored to [bleep] you up. Replace the PSU instead.
Posted Image

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

If your PSU is faulty, don't open it up. Even if its unplugged and everything, the capacitors still have enough charged stored to [bleep] you up. Replace the PSU instead.

Same if the fan is bad in the psu too. Always replace a bad psu and don't try to fix it.
Posted Image

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts
Not sure if it would suit the topic:

Never have your laptop on your lap for a long time, it will yield a terrible ache for some people. Also try not to block the fan with an armrest of your sofa or w/e.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

eias
[ Display Name History ]

eias

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Cybermullet
CPUs

Just be careful whenever you purchase a CPU(central processing unit),and want to replace it on your computer(motherboard),be sensitive and easy on it,replace it carefully,because sometimes it can hit the edges and it will get broken,then it's a wasted CPU.
Posted Image

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Davidd

CPUs

Just be careful whenever you purchase a CPU(central processing unit),and want to replace it on your computer(motherboard),be sensitive and easy on it,replace it carefully,because sometimes it can hit the edges and it will get broken,then it's a wasted CPU.

To add to that:

Make sure not to bend any of the pins. It will make your processor unusable as well.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
I've heard a useful tip that if you do bend the pins on a cpu, you can use a pen to correct them. Use those clicky pens that have the retractable nib, then stick it over the pin and wiggle it the right way so it bends the pin back in place.

Not sure if it's a totally reliable/wise thing, but it sounds plausible.
Posted Image

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

I've heard a useful tip that if you do bend the pins on a cpu, you can use a pen to correct them. Use those clicky pens that have the retractable nib, then stick it over the pin and wiggle it the right way so it bends the pin back in place.

Not sure if it's a totally reliable/wise thing, but it sounds plausible.

That works but you need to be very careful. You can also slide a credit card through the rows of pins to straighten them up. Both methods could completely break a pin off but if the cpu isn't working to begin with, you can't really break it more :P

I like using a mechanical pencil instead of a pen because the hole is thinner and can get a better grip on the pin.
Posted Image

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts

mechanical pencil instead of a pen

That reminds me actually, it was a mechanical pencil that the tip said to use, wherever I read it. :P

Protip from experience:

when replacing the heatsink, try not to break the pins that push into the motherboard to secure it

cost me £15 to go buy a new one. -.-
Posted Image

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

mechanical pencil instead of a pen

That reminds me actually, it was a mechanical pencil that the tip said to use, wherever I read it. :P

Protip from experience:

when replacing the heatsink, try not to break the pins that push into the motherboard to secure it

cost me £15 to go buy a new one. -.-

Those can be a pain to take off sometimes, especially on some of the oem boards that are crammed. You do know you need to turn them a half turn before they will unlock? I made that mistake before, always take your time and don't rush through things :lol: .

Another tip when removing a heatsink. If the heatsink is stuck to the processor by dried thermal paste, do not try to use force to separate them. Instaid, gently twist the heatsink back and forth and it will slowly loosen the heatsink from the processor. Or unlock the processor socket before removing the heatsink so the processor comes off with the heatsink so you don't bend any pins.
Posted Image

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
It was putting the heatsink back in when I broke the pins lol, I know that you need to turn the screws halfway first etc.

Also, if the thermal paste is a bit stubborn, try running an intensive game or something on your pc for 10 minutes to get the heat up, which can help warm up the paste.
Posted Image

Chaise
[ Display Name History ]

Chaise

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • RSN:Chaise91
Never touch an unprotected (as in doesn't have a heatsink on it) processor chip. They get VERY hot very fast.

Trust me...
~~Chaise91~~

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
Why was the pc on without a heatsink over the cpu? :|
Posted Image

Chaise
[ Display Name History ]

Chaise

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • RSN:Chaise91
I had taken my computer apart. Everything went fine until I went to reinstall the CPU, which was attached to the heat sink. Since I had to put a lot of effort on the heat sink to get in place, I bent the pins on the processor. I fixed those easily with a pocket knife, and then I pried the chip off the heat sink (which had been held on by some heat transfer compound). I placed the CPU in the holder thing without the heat sink thinking that there is no way that thing will get so hot so quickly. I turned my PC on and nothing came up on the monitor, so I thought I'd press down on the processor to make sure it was all the way down. Bad idea. That thing was EXTREMELY hot for being on after such a short amount of time. The compound I mentioned earlier had gotten on my finger, so the heat was held on my left middle finger for even longer, thus giving me a rather annoying blister.
~~Chaise91~~

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

I had taken my computer apart. Everything went fine until I went to reinstall the CPU, which was attached to the heat sink. Since I had to put a lot of effort on the heat sink to get in place, I bent the pins on the processor. I fixed those easily with a pocket knife, and then I pried the chip off the heat sink (which had been held on by some heat transfer compound). I placed the CPU in the holder thing without the heat sink thinking that there is no way that thing will get so hot so quickly. I turned my PC on and nothing came up on the monitor, so I thought I'd press down on the processor to make sure it was all the way down. Bad idea. That thing was EXTREMELY hot for being on after such a short amount of time. The compound I mentioned earlier had gotten on my finger, so the heat was held on my left middle finger for even longer, thus giving me a rather annoying blister.

Translated to always run the computer with a heatsink and fan. I'm surprised you didn't fry the chip running without a heatsink for even a second.
Posted Image

pryomancer
[ Display Name History ]

pryomancer

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,561 posts
If you're replacing/upgrading something on an already built computer, when you first open the case, remember where all the wires and things go. It saves so much time later on if you're not sure on wire connections and the positions of expansion cards etc.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users