Danger Will Robinson! (The do's and dont's in computing)

ClareJonsson

DO NOT vaccuum any part of your computer, use a air can.

DO take a shower with your keyboard=-)

If you spill a coke on your laptop, dont worry, pour 10 liters of distilled water on it, then let it fry fo r2-3 weeks

I told my dad not to use that thing on his laptop, luckily no damages were taken, but meh, he just put that thing all over the laptop's inside o_O

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PSU

Power Supply Units

If the power supply on your system dies, never attempt to open it up and poke around in a futile attempt to get the poorly deceased thing working again.

Power supplies not only are the point where you can come into contact with live mains, but most PSUs are switch mode power units and could seriously harm you with the high frequency switching circuitry. Even after the PSU is off and unplugged from the mains, it still has capacitors that are could be charged, so don't go sticking your finger in there and wiggling it around hoping to see a spark of life.

Power supplies have no user serviceable parts inside and should never be opened. Some PSUs have a fuse that can be changed without the need to open the unit, this should be perfectly safe to do.

I have actually seen someone having a shock from a PSU inside a television, he was thrown back and landed in a glass cabinet behind him. That was one of the scariest things I had seen.

I cant entirely agree with this. I've had 5+ 'broken' PSU's that were easily fixed by checking the contacts with a soldering iron. However, only do this when you know what your doing, and be careful.

As for the television, I assume it was one of the old CRT ones. They have incredibly high currents (MUCH higher than your wall outlet) used for the screen.

DO NOT vaccuum any part of your computer, use a air can.

DO take a shower with your keyboard=-)

If you spill a coke on your laptop, dont worry, pour 10 liters of distilled water on it, then let it fry fo r2-3 weeks

I usually use the dishwasher :P Works great. BUT dont do this with any keyboards with LCD screens on them (G15 etc).

Also, for a normal keyboard letting it dry for several days is plenty, you wont need weeks.

darksigjd4.jpg

[Ellhound JR][Combat [bleep]][138][200M Attack XP][134/200M Hitpoints XP][250+ jad kills][ <!-- m -->http://www.ellhound.com<!-- m -->]

Well, even if you know what you're doing, the warranty is voided if you open up the PSU anyways.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few:

1) Disc Drive Reading

If a disc does not register at all in your disc tray, make sure that the type of the CD is compatible with your disc drive. There is a difference between a CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM. Some drives can't read both.

2) DeepDive (virus)

I've had to deal with this bugger a few times. It first appears as a "Buffer Overflow Error" in your security systems and firewalls, which eventually locks you out of the internet. To free yourself of this thing, go into

C:\Program Files\Common

and delete all files with the name "helper.dll" or anything of a similiar name.

Doing so will resolve the error, grant you internet accsess and delete DeepDive.

3) Cutwail.a!rootkit (Trojan)

Biggest [wagon] I've dealt with on my current computer. It's rough, it's aggressive and it's nasty. To rid yourself of it do the following immidiatly:

1. Google "malwarebytes"

2. download the latest version of the "malwarebytes"

3. Rip out the connection to the internet manually by unplugging the ethernet cable/power cord

4. run scan using "malwarebytes"

5. delete all quarenteened files.

[editted]

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I got a few:

1) (D:) Drive / (E:) Drive

If a disc does not register at all in your disc tray, make sure that the type of the CD is compatible with your disc drive. There is a difference between a CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM. Some drives can't read both.

You should not name the letter of the drive, just say CD/DVD drive, since it's a different letter for everyone. At least in my experience it is. On the computer I use the most it's N:, and on the other computer it's G:.

I got a few:

1) (D:) Drive / (E:) Drive

You should not name the letter of the drive, just say CD/DVD drive, since it's a different letter for everyone. At least in my experience it is. On the computer I use the most it's N:, and on the other computer it's G:.

Huh. Never knew that. In my experience the disc drive has always been either 'D' or 'E'. I'll edit it though. I have had my hard drive re-assigned from "C" to "H" once. I guess it's possible.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

• 2 weeks later...
I had taken my computer apart. Everything went fine until I went to reinstall the CPU, which was attached to the heat sink. Since I had to put a lot of effort on the heat sink to get in place, I bent the pins on the processor. I fixed those easily with a pocket knife, and then I pried the chip off the heat sink (which had been held on by some heat transfer compound). I placed the CPU in the holder thing without the heat sink thinking that there is no way that thing will get so hot so quickly. I turned my PC on and nothing came up on the monitor, so I thought I'd press down on the processor to make sure it was all the way down. Bad idea. That thing was EXTREMELY hot for being on after such a short amount of time. The compound I mentioned earlier had gotten on my finger, so the heat was held on my left middle finger for even longer, thus giving me a rather annoying blister.

Translated to always run the computer with a heatsink and fan. I'm surprised you didn't fry the chip running without a heatsink for even a second.

If it's an Intel chip there are chances that it won't get fry even if you have the fan off for a longer time (5 minutes) I saw some experiments with AMD and Intel chips, the computer was running a game, think it was Counter Strike or something, while the PC was turned on they removed the Fan, on Intel the game went all laggy and stopped, on AMD the chip kept working and melted down with the motherboard (lol) I saw the smoke and all come out xD.

In other words: Intel = More Secure, AMD = More power.

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

If you are referring to this video:

That chip is from 2001 if i remember correct. And the video doesn't prove anything really, it's possible to fry a cpu in that way despite being from 98 or 08.

And if you know your stuff, you'd know that Intel currently has the most powerful cpu out there.

The thing that is supposed to save a CPU from overheating is called a thermal cutout diode, in effect if the CPU gets too hot the diode will slow the CPU down (to a halt if need be). Unfortunately AMD are known for having bad utilization of the TCD consequently killing the CPU if the heat sink is removed, and that goes for todays AMD processors I'm afraid. But the thing is, anyone who is daft enough to remove the Heat Sink is asking for a magical cloud of smoke to appear, and unfortunately this will not be followed by a Genie who will grant you three fabulous wishes :(

Well, since we are on the subject on CPU's i thought this could interest some of you: From sand to chip =)

http://www.globalfoundries.com/multimed ... nd_to_chip

Haven't found a HD version of the video tho.

(thought this would be the most suiting topic)

• 5 months later...

i found out the hard way, about using out of spec USB extensions and/or adapters my pc only has 4 USB ports and all of which were being used by k/board, mouse and 2 HDD's, and I bought a nice extension that turns 1 port into 4 ports and it even had lights on it an all, the fact being is that when i bought the extension it never did ne thing except crash my pc and when i opened it, it had a feed back loop on the -5 Volts line, D'oh stupid me for buying a cheap piece of hardware, i learnt my lesson before i became a PC systems analyst. lolz imagine doing that on the job.

anywaythe morale of the story is always check item specs to make sure it wont crash or break ur pc and always check that USB peripherals are marked with highspeed USB or USB 2.0

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest jrhairychest

DO's

• Putting together new PC's, upgrading mainboards and general upgrades - Read the manuals or check the manufacturers websites. Don't 'pretend' you know what you're doing until you 'know' what you're doing.
  • Buying a new PC - Buy one that suits your needs rather than go for a £2k one 'because it sounds good'. You'll end up with a white elephant that you paid way over the top for.
  • Research - Don't take someone elses word for it that posted on a forum :grin: . Check around, read reviews, ask questions and gain knowledge.
  • Run maintenance programs for windows and other utilities. The amount of people who don't do this and instead either re-install Windows or.....Buy a new PC( :-s ) simply because their performace has become sluggish is ridiculous. More often than not Windows, your browse, your registry and your hdd often needs a clean up rather than a totally new install. There are free programs out there that will help such as Ccleaner.

Don'ts

• Listen to your best mate who isn't a tekkie or someone who just posts on a forum 'Get this cos its great'.
  • Spend more than you need to.
  • Buy/upgrade what you don't need.
  • Install anything you're unsure about or you won't use. Amazing how many programs we have installed that we never bother with.