PSP or Nintendo DS?

SirBlazealot

Ive never had one, but PSP. I do have a DS. They break so (bleep) easily and alot of games are really immature. Thats just my view, though.

Alright so I'm leaning towards the Ds because it has this homebrew thing but I also agree with the guy saying it has immature games. I'm more of a FPS and RPG kinda guy so.. Am I making the right choice here

also if someone could explain this homebrew thing.

Alright so I'm leaning towards the Ds because it has this homebrew thing but I also agree with the guy saying it has immature games. I'm more of a FPS and RPG kinda guy so.. Am I making the right choice here

FPS = PSP

RPG = DS

hmmmm...

Get a console.

Oh god I could never decide.

The DS feeds my Final Fantasy and Pokemon addictions....

But I can watch Clerks and listen to music on my PSP.

I have this fight with myself every morning when deciding how to kill time on the bus that day.

Ironically, I own an r4 but I cant get it working =/

FPS = PSP

RPG = DS

hmmmm...

Get a console.

I have a 360 but it gets boring

I want a hand held game for work or to kill time

I have both DS and PSP. Their both Hacked and Homebrew'ed (is that a word? :?) and i have to say my PSP is better. It just is

faiyaz101.png

Unfairly Banned-Appeal In Process, Its been slow due to the sheer number of them

Ive never had one, but PSP. I do have a DS. They break so (bleep) easily and alot of games are really immature. Thats just my view, though.

Unless you're the clumsiest [bleep] on earth your DS shouldn't be breaking.

My normal three-year old DS, with no extra jacket, has fallen from my 5" tall high bed about three times, as well being dropped a good dozen times after it just slipped through my hands. The most it has to show is a slightly damaged hinge, and the corner of the top screen's protector is starting to peel off. All of which is superficial and has no impact on how the thing works.

I disagree. I have never dropped/abused my ds and the right shoulder button does not work anymore.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

If you want visual amazement and eyepopping visuals on your handheld, then the DS is not your system. (Not saying DS games don't look awesome for what they are, Ninja Gaiden is a great example!) However, if you want fun, easy to pick up and play on the move games, then go for one. I'd take gameplay and controls over graphics any day...so I got a DS.

The DS is an RPGer's paradise, there are many great Japanese and old style american roleplaying games for it. The FPS's...well, it's your call. If you can live with the kind of graphics that the DS shooters have (look up Dementium: The Ward or COD4) then it's a yes, plus the controls are much nicer than on the PSP, nothing beats stylus aiming IMO.

If you decide to go for the DS (I know you will ;)) make sure to check out these threads:

Official NDS thread

Nintendo DS Friend Codes

Aside from the shoulder buttons and the hinge being the lil' weakpoint of the system, both the DS phat and lite are very durable handhelds, you shouldn't worry about breaking it.

rickastleywh7.png

Love you too. My DS was about 6 months old, and as i was opening it, the top right-hand hinge just broke off. It still worked, but its damaged and has like...No value. Also, about 2 weeks after that, the top screen got messed up.

And from what i hear, the hinge cracking isn't that uncommon.

Also, i love nintendo, and i really hope i got the "lemon" of the batch. As for the clumsy part, i've had things dropped from 5 feet and nothing happend. Ive had identical things drop from 3 inches and brake. Never mind the fact im not the only one who uses it.

I have a Nintendo DS, and I have had it since 2004. I have had no problems with it, and it has never broken. The battery is still alive and kicking too. I couldn't be more happier with it :D

If you want a portable Gaming System that focuses on fun games, rather than good Graphics and Hardware, get a Nintendo DS, but if you want better Graphics and Hardware, with games that aren't as fun, get a PSP.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I have a Nintendo DS, and I have had it since 2004. I have had no problems with it, and it has never broken. The battery is still alive and kicking too. I couldn't be more happier with it :D

If you want a portable Gaming System that focuses on fun games, rather than good Graphics and Hardware, get a Nintendo DS, but if you want better Graphics and Hardware, with games that aren't as fun, get a PSP.

Yup, same here. :D

I have both. And i prefer my DS, because the PSP is fiddly and the games are just basic, and predictable, nothing really new or innovative....

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Not really any good FPS on the DS, if I'm perfectly honest. I suppose you could say Metroid Prime.

As for RPGs:

The World Ends with You

Pokémon D/P/Platinum (Future release)

Animal Crossing: WW

Final Fantasy: III/IV/XII

And a whole cornucopia of others...

If you like tactical games, there's Disgaea DS and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. The PSP also has the same Disgaea game, but with better music and graphics, but it does have a bug that will crash the game. PSP also has the remake of the original FFT for the Playstation, FFT: War of the Lions.

EDIT: To answer your homebrew question, homebrew is software made by programmers who just make it for fun. There's software that allows you to play music and movies on your DS, a drwaing program, and even emulators.

Alright so I've decided I'm going to get a Nintendo DS

Could I get some good FPS/RPG games for it?

Also could someone please tell me what homebrew is? I've read about it and still don't know what it is.

There isn't really any good First Person Shooter games for the Nintendo DS. Metriod Prime Hunter is really the only one to buy, and it is very...average...

Also, if you want some funner games, then I recommend:

• [*:c1thjlcn] Super Mario 64 DS

[*:c1thjlcn] Mario Kart

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Alright so I've decided I'm going to get a Nintendo DS

Could I get some good FPS/RPG games for it?

Also could someone please tell me what homebrew is? I've read about it and still don't know what it is.

The good FPS's for the system are:

COD4

Dementium: The Ward

Metroid Prime Hunters

Brothers in Arms (technically a 3rd person shooter)

Watch out for Moon, it's a new FPS in the works by the same guys that did Dementium and it's looking great. CORE and COD5 are also coming out in the next few months.

Look into these games I listed and decide which ones are worth your cash.

RPG's

Final Fantasy 3 & 4 (both are very good I've heard)

Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (not sure if it classifies as an RPG, but it's an AAA title.)

Etrian Odyssey (Old commodore 64 style RPG where you draw your map on grid paper)

Disgaea DS (just came out)

Homebrew on the DS are software written by hobbyist programmers, as opposed to commercial titles. Homebrew is run mostly on so called "Flash cartridges", these are 3rd party carts that have a memory slot, from where you run your programs off.

These flashcarts don't modify your DS, if you take it out of the slot, there is no trace of you using it, so it does not void your warranty.

There are two types of flashcarts; Slot 1 (DS sized cart) and Slot 2 (GBA sized cart). Slot 1 is the better choice of speed and storage. The current top of the line flash cart is called CycloDS (http://r4ds.cn/). These cartridges are considered legally gray at best (they allow the use of game roms) so you will not be able to buy this in stores, but will have to order online. They cost around 30-50 bucks.

Flashcarts also let you play mp3's, videos and pictures on your DS and there are homebrew web browsers available as well (do not expect much).

So a homebrew enabled DS means:

DS

flashcart

with most carts: micro SD cart (2GB=$8, 4GB=c. $15, 8GB=$40)

Sites you should check out for your DS information:

Podcasts:

http://www.dualscreenradio.com/

http://ds.vgpodcasts.com/

News & Reviews:

http://www.dsfanboy.com

http://www.ds.ign.com

Homebrew Scene:

http://www.gbatemp.net

http://www.ds-scene.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew

Good luck! I hope you will enjoy your new handheld. :)

rickastleywh7.png

FPS = PSP

RPG = DS

hmmmm...

Get a console.

I have a 360 but it gets boring

I want a hand held game for work or to kill time

there was a guy who made an unofficial xbox 360 (or ps3 don't recall correctly) laptop, that could work ;)

Headshotcatcher.png

Why has no one mentioned the PSP homebrew?

No silly flash cartridges or anything, just find a friend with a pandora battery, or make one yourself. Downgrade it, then install custom firmware. Once that's done, it's all smooth sailings as it easily updates itself just like official firmware does.

There are some great homebrew apps out there, a few examples, gPSP (GBA Emu), Snes9xTYL (SNES emu), PSPTube (YouTube and more on PSP) and there are heaps more you can get, which really enhances the PSP experience. For example, I have a homebrew app that lets me use my PSP as a joystick on my PC.

There are heaps more things the PSP can do, not to mention *cough* playing downloaded games *cough*, not that I'd encourage anything like that. ;)

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Why has no one mentioned the PSP homebrew?

No silly flash cartridges or anything, just find a friend with a pandora battery, or make one yourself. Downgrade it, then install custom firmware. Once that's done, it's all smooth sailings as it easily updates itself just like official firmware does.

There are some great homebrew apps out there, a few examples, gPSP (GBA Emu), Snes9xTYL (SNES emu), PSPTube (YouTube and more on PSP) and there are heaps more you can get, which really enhances the PSP experience. For example, I have a homebrew app that lets me use my PSP as a joystick on my PC.

There are heaps more things the PSP can do, not to mention *cough* playing downloaded games *cough*, not that I'd encourage anything like that. ;)

Not to mention you can play FF7 and other PSOne games! I got all three FF7 disks on my PSP just two days ago, it's [bleep]ing insane.

But I agree, the homebrew is amazing...I have all of those apps you have, plus you can even customize the Cross menu bar (XMB) and more through flashing or CTF's. And, with the upcoming N64 emulator coming late October--early November, the PSP's homebrew will be amazingly fun. =P~

I always thought the DS was amazing until my dad found the PSP at the airport about 2 months ago. Since then, I'm obsessed, and my DS has been gathering dust in my bag, while my Custom Firmware PSP (which I cut open my own battery and restored using Time Machine) is getting all of the attention. If you do end up getting it though, make sure you update to 4.01 M33-2; right now, 5.00 M33 isn't really that good, since many homebrew apps cannot be run on it...

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)