Tip.it IRC Chat - Help!

Omnitec

Okay, here's the problem...

When i try go onto the chat, I Can't connect because of my username;

It's 0mnitec (With a zero, my RSN Is with an "O")

It comes up with "Erroreus characters, couldn't resolve"

How do i resolve this?

(Btw, I've tried changing my nickname via the command /nick, didnt work)

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

Most (if not all) IRC servers don't allow nicks to start with a number, so your name causes some problems. If you are using mIRC, change your default nick to something that doesn't start with a number and reconnect.

If you're trying to use the java chat embedded in the forum you're currently out of luck after looking at it. It doesn't allow nick changes when disconnected so there's no way to fix your 0 problem at the moment. I'll be poking one of the other admins so they can fix this in the client.

In the mean time you can use the CGI client found here. I don't know how long it'll take to fix this particular issue with the java chat until Peter wakes up.

Cruiser, if my memory serves me right, Tip.It is using the Java PJIRC Chat Client, right? Or was it changed since the rollback crash? :-s

Also, if PJIRC is being used, wouldn't the fault be with the author of the Java PJIRC Client? Which might mean it is beyond the limits of what Peter can handle? Or is the fault really with Tip.It's own server? :?

~D. V. "Curious a bit about what's up with the IRC system..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Cruiser, if my memory serves me right, Tip.It is using the Java PJIRC Chat Client, right? Or was it changed since the rollback crash? :-s

Also, if PJIRC is being used, wouldn't the fault be with the author of the Java PJIRC Client? Which might mean it is beyond the limits of what Peter can handle? Or is the fault really with Tip.It's own server? :?

The problem is a limitation of IRC itself which means nicks can't have a number at the start regardless of what client you are using.

I've set our client to prefix your name with 'j_' now if the first character of your username is a number, so this issue should be fixed.

Did you read my post at all?

IRC doesn't allowed nicks to start with a number (as already stated). It's part of the RFC that outlines the protocol (but you wouldn't know that cuz you'd rather guess on everything). The java client implemented this as it was suppose to. The problem appears because the client allows locking of the nickname using html parameters, so the java client was also doing it's job by not allowing nick changes when disconnected. Neither are "wrong" but thanks for asking more irrelevant questions after the problem was looked into and a fix was already known.

You also assuming Peter can't handle it is a bit idiotic. The client is open source (Yes it's PJIRC, stop being lazy and go check it) so even if Java is outside Peter's or my own skills, it isn't exactly hard to find someone that can make the change.

Good to know you still make the same stupid assumptions and think you can add to an already handled situation months after I stopped paying attention to T&C (anyone with a clue knows why I stopped).

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Did you read my post at all?

IRC doesn't allowed nicks to start with a number (as already stated). It's part of the RFC that outlines the protocol (but you wouldn't know that cuz you'd rather guess on everything). The java client implemented this as it was suppose to. The problem appears because the client allows locking of the nickname using html parameters, so the java client was also doing it's job by not allowing nick changes when disconnected. Neither are "wrong" but thanks for asking more irrelevant questions after the problem was looked into and a fix was already known.

You also assuming Peter can't handle it is a bit idiotic. The client is open source (Yes it's PJIRC, stop being lazy and go check it) so even if Java is outside Peter's or my own skills, it isn't exactly hard to find someone that can make the change.

Good to know you still make the same stupid assumptions and think you can add to an already handled situation months after I stopped paying attention to T&C (anyone with a clue knows why I stopped).

Cruiser, your negativity is unwarranted. Yes, I read your post, but a few things continued to confuse me. Therefore, I happened to be simply asking questions, trying to LEARN about this particular problem... And NOT trying to get chewed out, contrary to what you may think... Sure, I might have dumbly assumed there was some small absolutes as to what kind of issue it was, like if it was only possible to handle it at one point in the chain. But, you could be much nicer with your response, like how Peter happened to be, especially if you're trying to teach that some of those absolutes aren't as absolute as they look. :wall:

So, while I will thank you for the helpful info... You have my total non-thanks for your overly harsh behavior towards me... Especially since I've had time to evolve a little since the last time we ran into each other. (Look in T&C if you don't believe me.) Have a nice day! 8-)

~Mr. D. V. "I'm not as much an adversary as you think I am." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

The problem and solution was rather clear in my first reply. Why you feel I should be nice to you when the information you asked about is available right in front of you in my reply or by clicking the chat button and the 'about' box in the client is beyond me.

1) You ask if it's still PJIRC, the client is right there for you to check the version on.

2) You ask if the fault is in the client, I stated in my first post that yes, that is the case and we'll be fixing it.

3) You then go on to assume Peter can't fix it based on the previous assumption, which on it's own is a rather stupid thing to do. Add to that the fact I already knew how to fix it and simply had to wait for Peter to actually implement it and we're up to 4 strikes.

4) Not being satisfied with that you ask the same question again by musing if it's a problem with the IRC server itself, when once again I have already said it's a problem in the java client setup we'll be fixing.

I'm not going to spare your ego when you don't read and think about the replies that came prior to your first post in the thread. You simply replying to this like you did shows me nothing has changed since I stopped posting here (unless you're amazing computer skills somehow vaporize when I post in a thread, which I'd find hilarious).

I'm not going to spare your ego when you don't read and think about the replies that came prior to your first post in the thread. You simply replying to this like you did shows me nothing has changed since I stopped posting here (unless you're amazing computer skills somehow vaporize when I post in a thread, which I'd find hilarious).

No, nothing has changed. He still guesses at everything and, at times, gives completely wrong and downright dangerous answers. But nothing will stop him because apparently he knows.