lock please

jasignhagj

What kind of graphics card? And why just 6GB of memory, not 8? memory comes in matched pairs of sticks for the dual data rate function and leaving one stick out like that cuts all of it down to half speed. What is your budget? Are you building this computer yourself? What processors in particular are you considering? We need more information to make a decision of which processor is better for your particular setup.

Depends on what you want to spend on the components. AMD Phenom 9950 or Intel Q6600 are about the same, the Q6600 is maybe 5-10% faster but more expensive.

Or if you want to spend more, you can go for the Q9550.

You should know that Intel comes out with a new line of cpu's in a month or so.

And don't get the 8800 ultra unless you get it for a very very good price. Otherwise you have the ATI 4850 - Which is the most bang for the buck. Or you want more performance? ATI 4870 or Nvidia GTX 260.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Intel, get more from your money as they are much more powerful than AMD's processors at the same Clock speed not to mention the ability to overclock.

8800 Ultra's are powerful cards but not with the new GTX's, 4800 series they are rapidly becoming obsolete.

eggzs.png

Intel, get more from your money as they are much more powerful than AMD's processors at the same Clock speed not to mention the ability to overclock.

8800 Ultra's are powerful cards but not with the new GTX's, 4800 series they are rapidly becoming obsolete.

Uhm... What?

How can you say that the 48xx is obsolete? Please explain it to me...

For god sake, the "new" GTX 260 just got some more SP's.

8800 Ultra's are powerful cards but with the new GTX's, 4800 series, they [8800's] are rapidly becoming obsolete.

Uhm... What?

How can you say that the 48xx is obsolete? Please explain it to me...

For god sake, the "new" GTX 260 just got some more SP's.

whoops typo, meant to be a comma in there somewhere

eggzs.png

Get a intel duel core, somethingi like the E8500 or 8600 is good. DON'T GO QUAD CORE. A guy at my work dropped 2,200$ on 2 phenom quad cores in one MB - his system smokes anything mutli threaded, but almost nothing is. His only multithreaded app is is dvd ripper - admittedly, it takes him around 3 minutes per encoding, but my 190$ CPU can blast past his in almost every app or game out there.

Oh, and go with a GTX 260 or 280 - I highly recommend the 260, I dropped it in my 1400$ build and it screams on almost every game currently selling, while running quiet and cool, and with little power consumption. Warning: make sure it fits your case; it's a long card!

Also, get an aftermarket cooler for your CPU - I went with a xigmatech cooler, and my temps are 28 idle, 35c after 6 hours of full bore simultaneous graphics and CPU stressing. The GTX cooling system does a fine job; admittedly, it runs a bit hotter then I'd like under load, but never breaks 70c.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Personally, I really love AMD's lineup, but it really depends on what you plan on doing. The new AMD Phenoms really aren't all that great, and Intel's processors bruteforce a lot of raw processing power. At the moment, I'd recommend an Intel processor, but AMD is sure to come out with something truly wonderful sometime next year.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'd go for intel as well. They say the last good AMD processor were Athon64 dual core. Now that Intel processor will start being like AMD's processors for memory managing, they're going to be real lots more powerful than AMD processors.

Budget PC -> AMD

Anything else -> Intel

The 8800 Ultra was a rip of the day it came out and still is. Get a 4850 or 4870 (depending on your budget).

If you building it yourself post your budget and we'll help you pick parts.

If its pre-built just go to dell outlet, by a standard base unit and add a decent gpu.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Many Intel people here i notice.

Personally i wouldn't buy anything but a budget cpu atm (if you like AMD) and wait for Deneb (two first for AM2+ socket comes in december, and the rest for AM3 comes next year if i remember correctly).

If you're going for Intel, C2D! Getting Nehalem is damn right stupid. It will cost very much, you'll need: New CPU/Motheboard/RAM=Around 900euros (based on the price i'd pay for the cheapest setup where i live).

The new mainstream Intels doesn't arrive until summer/after summer (if i remember right).

Do you want a whole system or just looking at cpu+gpu? (since you haven't asked about motherboard/psu etc)

This is what i'd do (cpu): Either get Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4ghz - 190$ or Intel C2D E8500 3.16 ghz - 185$

This is because both are very good (altho Q6600 is a bit old, it runs and overclocks great) and Intel (as said) ships Nehalem soon and the mainstream comes next year, and AMD comes with Bulldozer next year (all new architecture). But the Core 2's runs great for the price.

But as your budget is quite big i could also recommend Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz - 320$

But it's really up to you.

For Nvidia GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 - 300$, GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 - 375$ after rebate or the GTX 260 with 192SP for 240$... I haven't checked a review with the "new" 260... So can't say if it's worth the price or not... But only differs 75$ between the "new" 260 and 280, so i'd put the extra 75$ on 280.

But if you want to save some money, i'd get the GTX 260 with 192SP for 240$.

These are highend as you see, but since you have quite a budget...

Well, sorry for all the text.

Can I get a whole computer "built" here ?? : )

Seriousley though, thanks. I have no clue what motherboard etc.. to get

it would be nice if we had a budget -.-

tipitmainsigjpg.jpg

you like pudding....me too

[hide=More Friend Codes coming soon -.- (some are now included cmon pm me

This is what I would do with a budget of $2,000 like you said.

CPU- E8400 Core2duo

Mobo- EVGA 780i

(CPU + Mobo combo deal) $369

GPU- GTX280 1GB $390

RAM- Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) $45

PSU- Thermaltank 750W $110

Case- ENERMAX Full ATX $85

HD- Western Digital 640GB $75

Monitor- ACER Black 24" 1920x1080 $290

OS- Vista 64bit home premium $99

Total: $1463

Pretty nice setup there, Nadril.

Corsair 750W (not modular)- 100$ after rebate

Cooler Master, full tower - 120$

Just some second alternatives.

The PSU's are a *bit too much*... But if you want to put in more hd's or go SLI it's a must have. Otherwise you could go for a bit less.