first pixel

Gigajie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't help if you don't post pictures. Cowboy and most other artists always post WIPs and such.

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

Age shouldn't be much of a factor in any kind of art. Don't let it limit you. :)

Go at your own pace, whether that means tiny little sketches or signatures. Just keep practicing on a variety of subjects testing different techniques to find what suits you best.

cliffside1ra5.png

35ceyio.jpg

here. the legs still kinda looked dumb even after i looked at the dragon pics so i took them off again. the big gthing is a candle chandelier and the dragon is going to sit on a big money pile. this money pile will be mine and he will protect it. well thats how i want it to look.

Gigajie2.png

Well I'd personally start off smaller, maybe half that size. And always save you images as .PNG when pixeling, so you don't lose quality when you upload them.

The chandelier looks pretty good, but I think the way you're drawing the dragon (not sure there, isn't much to go by) is going to make it come out 2d and weird, which is probably why you're having trouble with the legs. Maybe try using this as a reference?

I'd like to see the version with the legs though, if that's possible.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I also think the canvas for the dragon piece is way way way too large. It's going to take ages to fill that with decent quality stuff, and I don't think anyone would have the patience/skill to do that correctly on their first few pixels. I'd recommend starting out with way smaller canvases, maybe even avatar-sized ones. That will just make it a lot easier to actually finish something that you yourself can be proud of.

penguin.gif

pixel avvy by me deviantART

im making it like this and then later opening it into photoshop. there i can make it smaller so the detail will be very high. and its just easier to work with a that large canvas. i mean you dont have to go into microscopic detail because you'll just make it smaller later, and the normal detail will turn into microscopic detail. ty for that dragon pic. ill use that. i think its just kinda hard to draw livng things. making the chandelier was not that hard because theres one place where that one thing has to go, or it wont look right. when it looks wrong you can easily find the place where it is actually supposed to go too.

Gigajie2.png

im making it like this and then later opening it into photoshop. there i can make it smaller so the detail will be very high.

sigh...

You really have no idea about pixels still, do you? You don't re-size a pixel.

why cant you resize a pixel? i mean...its kinda like...taking a blurry pic, making it smaller, and then it turns to normal/high quality pic. its quite simple. and how would i know the rules of pixeling? i just started!

Fine.

Using Unknownz signature as an example here.

borderedsh0ai8uxj5.png

normal

pixlexamplelv7.png

resized

Resized version looks like crap now, doesn't it? It's because the point of a pixel is to put in the details yourself, if you resize it it will actually make it blurry because all the detail is in the form of 1px dots.

Pixels are made with the pencil tool. No filters, no resizing, no layer effects. The image is detailed pixel by pixel, hence the name pixel art. :)

I suggest making the whole thing in Photoshop. It's easier for saving, layering, zooming, etc.

GIMP works quite well too if you are using Linux, where you can do the whole thing in one "window" (One background window with the dialogues floating above). Makes a great alternative to PS if you don't have the money and want to stay legal.

C2b6gs7.png

i fin it easy to use the curve line tool in MS...i know you're supposed to do it with pencil, but isnt it kinda the same thing? only the curved line tool is faster? and more accurate? well, anyway. i think in pixel art its not really the things that count, but the creativity and how lively you make it look with what you have. if you have a crappy 2D dragon (2nd page) but you shade it well and put a lot of other things into it, its still a great pixel. thats my thought of it.

im gonna GIMP for making the colors. its easier to shade it there with the gradient.

Gigajie2.png

HOW THE F AM I SUPPOSED TO GET IT! AND I KNOW! IM NOT GONNA DO THE WHOLE THING WITH GRADIENT. THE SIMPLE PARTS I WILL! GOD DAMN IT! ITS ALREADY FRUSTRATING ENOUGH TO START SOMETHING NEW. NOW THAT YOU GUYS JUST KINDA INSULT ME EVERYWHERE I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING, THEN IM NEVER GONNA LEARN. SO JUST TELL ME HOW I SHOULD DO IT, AND DONT SAY "YOUR JUST NOT GETTING IT" OK?

AND IM NOT DOING MY OWN THING! YOU GUYS NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TO DO...SO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, SO I CANT SAY THE RIGHT THING! I WOULDT INSULT YOU GUYS IF YOU NEEDED MY HELP. I WOULD JUST SAY WHAT TO DO!

Gigajie2.png

You aren't "getting it" because you aren't [bleep]ing listening. Venomai posted right before you saying it is done with the pencil tool and only the pencil tool, yet you ignored that fact and said you'd use a line tool and gradients.

It's not worth the time helping if you're going to go off on your own tangent anyways.

ive got to ask, for a first time doing pixels did [bleep]ing you expect us to go "ooooh its amazing i love it" because for peoples first pixel attempts that seldom happens

for example:

cowboy7.jpg

this is my first pixel.... as you can see its a PIECE OF [cabbage] LIKE EVERY OTHER FIRST PIXEL EVER PUT IN THE GALLERY

but what did i do? i listened to the advice i got from people, little by little i got better and now im making sigs like the one i have as my sig right now.

i cant say dont use line tools ever, everybody uses them so anybody who says use 100% pencil doesnt know what theyre talking about :roll: but only use them to make hard lines on buildings, windows etc. dont use a line tool to make a person is what i mean.

as for gradient tools, just DONT GO THERE. it will look so [bleep]ed up that ill be sure never to give you 2 minutes of my time to give more advice

theres plenty of guides on this forum as well as WWW.PIXELJOINT.COM, i bring this website up all the time for people because it is by far filled with some of the most tallented pixel artists ive ever seen.

and btw your welcome about the reference advice

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.