Zaaps1's Complete Shooting Star Guide [Update 12 Apr 09]

Zaaps1

Thank you Grasle!

Couldn't really find a better color though. I stupidly made it on Paint, so I can't change it :x

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol like ur sig its a good song :thumbsup:

Bookmarked. :thumbsup:

I have some personal questions to ask though. Mining is honestly my second least favorite skill: (to rc) I want to get 60. Then stop :P

But in any case how many days would it take to get 60 mine by online hunting stars? (Oh and hours) Also could i use a friend's house to use a better telescope or are they not worth using at all? I've only done one shooting star, and that was by freak accident. This could be a good way to have fun while training my least favorite skill. (possibly making it grow on me oncei get mining guild :P

So anyways thanks.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Bookmarked. :thumbsup:

I have some personal questions to ask though. Mining is honestly my second least favorite skill: (to rc) I want to get 60. Then stop :P

But in any case how many days would it take to get 60 mine by online hunting stars? (Oh and hours) Also could i use a friend's house to use a better telescope or are they not worth using at all? I've only done one shooting star, and that was by freak accident. This could be a good way to have fun while training my least favorite skill. (possibly making it grow on me oncei get mining guild :P

So anyways thanks.

Mining is a great an rewarding skill. I would personally recommend you keep training after 60, but it's your choice, and I understand many people simply do not enjoy the skill.

First off, yes, try to get the best telescope you can when hunting stars. You could alternatively use a star chat, but in that case you'll want at least an oak scope so you know when the wave is and if the star has landed.

If you hunt each star by yourself or with a small group of friends/small clan, you're bound to finish the star in about 15-20 minutes including the finding time on regular stars. For the harder stars, you can add 5-10 minutes to that but you'll get far more xp. But you'll do an average of 3 stars in one hour of playing time, excluding the time manning the scope. (But for this, I'd recommend you split this task among friends. For example if you have 4 people hunting with you, alternate who has to man the scope. It's like carpooling, everyone benefits.)

For xp per star...it's hard to say because it can vary so much. I'd get something like 5-9k xp. Since you are a lower mining level, except less.

Assuming you just hit level 56, you'd need 80k xp to level to 60. I'd estimate that to get 16 stars. That means you would need to go a minimum of 36 hours (but of course, only hunting the stars every 2 hours). Since I don't expect you to be on RS for a full day and a half, I'll give you a more workable number: about 288 minutes, or 4.8 hours of actually "working". If you tackle one star a day, it'll take 16 days, but you'll still only be spending about 4.8 hours. (Also note you'll have 1.6m over those 16 days.)

I won't calcuate CC Hunting because you'll likely get extremely varied xp. Since it ranges so much, I can't put my finger on a precise number for you.

SUMMARY

So expect 4.8 hours of fun, enjoyable star hunting. Expect to mine 16 stars. I don't know how many stars you do each day, but that's easy to figure out. You'll make a maximum of 1.6m from this and a minimum of 200k (if you do it all in 36 hours).

OK. In all honesty why do you recommend mining. I could change my mind :P

Maybe it's all that f2p mining :D

In any case what would be a good level to get it to. ALso thanks, I might do this alongside powermining.

Because mining has so much potential. Everyone does rc, fishing, wc, or combat for money. The supply in those skills far outpaces the demand. Over time, they will continuously lose their potential. However, since mining is the underdog, this will never happen. Because very few people make it past level 70 (when the money really starts rolling in), and very few of those people know the proper technique to maximize mining potential, mining is always be profitable.

Case study: When nats crashed, there went 91 rc as the biggest moneymaker. Fishing and wc were popularly macroed, and caused them to be terrible for money. Although this problem has been solved, this case supports the fact that they are "easy" skills. Monster drops are all bound to fall eventually, look at dks drops and godswords.

However, look at mining. Look at rune ore. With the semi-recent [bleep]e in rune ore prices, it now is as good as 91 runecrafting for money. What's better, done right it can even be multitaskable!

Mining as a skill is a terrific investment to make. If mining is going up, and everything else is going down, why not jump aboard earlier, and reap more benefits?

Suppose... I'll give it a shot. I'm too busy getting 70 mage ranged, but once i've done that :)

Yup, combat ftw :thumbup:

Just a note, it seems you get kicked from the Star Find chat if you ask about PvP world stars -.-

It's crazy how fast a s9 star goes to s8 with only 2 miners... and its even more hilarious when everyone in the Star Find chat thinks you're lying about an S9 star scout almost a whole hour into a wave then you end up bringing half the chat to the star LOL XD

Seriously though, this guide is really helpful, ty ^^

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Just a note, it seems you get kicked from the Star Find chat if you ask about PvP world stars -.-

It's crazy how fast a s9 star goes to s8 with only 2 miners... and its even more hilarious when everyone in the Star Find chat thinks you're lying about an S9 star scout almost a whole hour into a wave then you end up bringing half the chat to the star LOL XD

Seriously though, this guide is really helpful, ty ^^

Lol, yeah it's a pretty crazy chat.

Glad it help.

Are there any good chats? I'm getting sorta addicted to start hunting. In any case... Got a stage 5 today because of luck, was the first place i looked. So work more on that. But in any case thanks. I should have 70 mage by the end of the week, at which point I will devote my full attention.

~Deathmath

PS What should i mine in between to get 60 for lunar diplomacy. Somebody told me to mine and superheat mith bars on crandor ut idk whether i should mine iron or granite or something...

Are there any good chats? I'm getting sorta addicted to start hunting. In any case... Got a stage 5 today because of luck, was the first place i looked. So work more on that. But in any case thanks. I should have 70 mage by the end of the week, at which point I will devote my full attention.

~Deathmath

PS What should i mine in between to get 60 for lunar diplomacy. Somebody told me to mine and superheat mith bars on crandor ut idk whether i should mine iron or granite or something...

Granite for speed, iron if granite provides some complications for you (not sure what, but w/e). The money you get at 60 mining isn't really note worthy unless you mine gold, which you might want to consider.

Hunt4Stars and Star find are good chats.

OK :) When does the money really come in. (Well besides 85) ::'

Assuming no stouts/evil stews and the like are used, around 65 is when gold starts getting fast and mining addy is a big deal as well.

Of course, you can make more with gold at a lower level with a familiar.

Bump. Got 200 stardust today :) Great guide

Glad to help ::'

Excellent guide. Before I read this, I had no idea how to determine when a star would fall. (I do have an oak telescope in my POH) Thank you! 11/10

:twss: :twss: :twss: :twss: :twss:

Arisaka, the Japanese rifle. O_o

Tell me, did any of you happen to kill a red spy on the way here? No? Then we still have a problem.

Awesome first AOW Guide :D

Glad it helped everyone!