Do You Support Capital Punishment?

Dizzle229

Australia was done all wrong. What I mean is have a place to just dump people and then forget about them forever, only coming back to dump off more unlucky bastards. Think Escape From New York.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia was done all wrong. What I mean is have a place to just dump people and then forget about them forever, only coming back to dump off more unlucky bastards. Think Escape From New York.

Because that would cause a massive blood bath when the prisoners all fought and would leave us responsible for a number or murders equal to the number of people we dumped.

I figure we either need to work on prison reform or realize we need to start investing in labor camps of some kind. You cant just have reoffendors sitting in prison not being productive.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Because that would cause a massive blood bath when the prisoners all fought and would leave us responsible for a number or murders equal to the number of people we dumped.

No. We're not responsible for ANYTHING they do. We dump them there and forget they ever existed. If they form a comunity, let them. If they want to murder each other, let them.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I figure we either need to work on prison reform or realize we need to start investing in labor camps of some kind. You cant just have reoffendors sitting in prison not being productive.

Maybe they'll realise that they need to work together to survive and won't kill each other? Meh probably not but then it'll be more their fault for not using basic survival skills.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Maybe they'll realise that they need to work together to survive and won't kill each other? Meh probably not but then it'll be more their fault for not using basic survival skills.

If this was the same amount of random civilians Id say maybe wed have a decent turn out, but if you assume everyone being sent already commited a crime in regular society then I have little faith they would decide to create laws to self govern elsewhere.

awteno.jpg

If you've ever seen a documentary on a prison, you'd have seen that they do, in a way, have their own rules and laws. Obviously to the rest of the world they're just a chain gang, but they don't just sit in their cell all day.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I am not equating the two crimes. I am suggesting that the death penalty is a poor solution to the problem of recidivism.

That is equating them though. I'm not suggesting we stop recurring crime in general by taking all criminals out of society. I'm suggesting we stop recurring murder by taking the hardcore premeditated murderers with no morality out of society. It should depend on the case.

With that said, I would argue that a murderer isn't that much of a threat to society after having been rehabilitated.

Yes, but only if the rehabilitation was successful which isn't always the case.

Let's see. We can't have the death penalty because some people may not reoffend. But they shouldn't get a life sentence because then the government is still supporting them with taxpayer money.

Why not exile? On some island or something? They don't have to be executed, and they essentially get a life sentence at very little to no cost.

I'm not completely sure of my figures here, but I debated this topic last year at an organized event and I think this point was made.

A point brought up was that keeping someone alive in prison for a year cost $40,000. Keeping them alive for 60 years (which is more then most people sentenced to live would even live, I assume) would cost 2.4 million USD. However, what with all the technicalities involved in the death penalty and the way we currently do it (lethal injection), the cost of executing someone is greater then 2.4 million dollars.

So keeping someone alive in prison is actually cheaper then killing them.

Honestly though a guillotine is cheap and painless. Just saying.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I'm not suggesting we stop recurring crime in general by taking all criminals out of society. I'm suggesting we stop recurring murder by taking the hardcore premeditated murderers with no morality out of society. It should depend on the case.

"Hardcore premeditated murderers with no morality" are already being removed from society, often through life in prison or a psychiatric institution. Upon returning to society, if they ever do, they generally pose a minimal threat to society (far less than that of the younger generation).

Yes, but only if the rehabilitation was successful which isn't always the case.

While there may be exceptional crimes that warrant permanent removal, such as cases in which rehabilitation is not possible, the vast majority of convicted murderers, rapists, kidnappers, drug smugglers, etc. do not fall within this category.

Capital punishment, if it must be used at all, should be used extremely scarcely: only when rehabilitation is not an option, and only when life in prison is unreasonable (i.e. cost).

i.e. Capital punishment (and death row) should almost never be used.

While there may be exceptional crimes that warrant permanent removal, such as cases in which rehabilitation is not possible, the vast majority of convicted murderers, rapists, kidnappers, drug smugglers, etc

Id prefer to keep every rapist rotting away in jail personally, not one to believe in risking more victims for the sake of saving money(and Im talking specifically actual rapes not statatory rape caused by age difference). Murderers depending on circumstances, should be kept locked up, its fine to give people parole if they killed someone with reckless driving but shooting another person deserves strong punishment.

awteno.jpg