Do You Support Capital Punishment?

Dizzle229

Yeah, about that eye for an eye... I never understood why it was seen as a bad thing. Mess with a beehive and they will most likely sting you. There's nothing wrong with that. It prevents you from messing with them the next time.

There's something called evolution that resulted in humans seeing an enlargement of the neocortex previously developed in earlier mammals, allowing for logical thinking and senses of morality. To compare humans to bees, is utter nonsense and a guised form of a red herring.

Furthermore, for anyone that likes to reference the Bible, something that I do not like to do unless I am quoting Jesus himself (as written by Matthew in this case, anyway):

You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something called evolution that resulted in humans developing an enlarged neocortex, allowing for logical thinking and senses of morality. To compare humans to bees, is utter nonsense and a guised form of a red herring.

Okay, I'll give you this - humans are logical beings. But what does intelligence have to do with it? Just because we have the ability to reason that doesn't mean the only form of reasoning is to forgive, forget, and to let run loose. Sorry, I think keeping the good people safe is a much more reasonable thing to do. Just because we are intelligent does not imply that bees defending themselves is a less intelligent choice. They are an example of retaliation. Without retaliation, the bees would suffer. Without retaliation, the guilty would be overtaking the innocent.

For those of you in the USA, I'd like to let you know that the death penalty isn't cheaper than life without parole. Death penalty trials/executions cost (on average) 40% more than the process which ends in life without parole.

I don't understand the thought process which leads people into believing that the death penalty sets an example and/or deters violent criminals from committing violent crimes. If you told me I had a choice between life in prison and dying by lethal injection/firing squad/hanging/ect, then I wouldn't hesitate to select the latter. Even if you weren't ready to die after being sentenced, I'm sure 25 years in prison would change your line of thinking.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

It gives closure.

Say someone killed a family member of yours and had to do 15 years in jail and he got out 7 years on parole, would that seem fair? 7 years for someone elses life and their loved ones just wasted?

If someone has the ability to kill someone they forfeit their rights.

Trapt45.png

It gives closure.

Say someone killed a family member of yours and had to do 15 years in jail and he got out 7 years on parole, would that seem fair? 7 years for someone elses life and their loved ones just wasted?

Well what gives the executioner the ability to kill?

What about the family of the person being killed?

Shouldn't the justice system be for justice and possible rehabilitation, not revenge?

Just playign devil's advocate here. Like I said before I think there's a lot of good argumnets for or against, I really don't know.

It gives closure.

Shouldn't the justice system be for justice and possible rehabilitation, not revenge?

Just playign devil's advocate here. Like I said before I think there's a lot of good argumnets for or against, I really don't know.

Nothing gives them the right, but look at it this way. You can make the choice to kill them (potentially helping society) or you can make the choice not to (potentially helping that criminal). Since the criminal has committed a horrible crime against society, I have a reason be more in favor of the welfare of society instead of the welfare of the criminal.

It gives closure.

The executioner gets the ability to kill by knowing he's doing the world a favor by getting rid of a monster. It's been scientifically proven that rapists and sadists and killers have different brain patterns. Isn't it better to kill him before he gets that urge again?

The family of the person being killed can deal with it, the person who did the crime knew the consequences and knew what he was getting into. If the family didn't want him to pay for his crimes then they must be truly selfish.

The justice system is for justice but some things are necessary, but for a lot of cases rehab is out of the question.

Trapt45.png

One small thing about the justice system not being a revenge system. If someone kills a loved one of yours then you have the right to demand they never be allowed into the public sector again, now as to whether you can demand their life is a matter of belief on capital punishment but to want murderers in a cell the rest of their lives may be revenge but that doesnt mean it isnt also rightous.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

One small thing about the justice system not being a revenge system. If someone kills a loved one of yours then you have the right to demand they never be allowed into the public sector again, now as to whether you can demand their life is a matter of belief on capital punishment but to want murderers in a cell the rest of their lives may be revenge but that doesnt mean it isnt also rightous.

I disagree with the second part. It seems extremely inhumane to let someone serve a life sentence in jail. Death would be quick and painless but the rest of your life in jail is terrible. Having to wake up each morning knowing the life you're going to lead without a chance out is probably the worst thing you can do to someone.

Trapt45.png

The executioner gets the ability to kill by knowing he's doing the world a favor by getting rid of a monster. It's been scientifically proven that rapists and sadists and killers have different brain patterns. Isn't it better to kill him before he gets that urge again?

The family of the person being killed can deal with it, the person who did the crime knew the consequences and knew what he was getting into. If the family didn't want him to pay for his crimes then they must be truly selfish.

The justice system is for justice but some things are necessary, but for a lot of cases rehab is out of the question.

Yes. That's right. He's doing the world a "favor" by executing someone. Ever considered the fact that the executioner might be executing an innocent man/woman?

Yeah. The family of the criminal can just set aside their emotions based off of his actions. They can forget about the fact that he/she is a member of the family, a loved one, a son, a daughter or the like. They can just set aside their emotions because of their actions during a small portion of their life. I'm not saying what they did is right, but you can't expect the family of the criminal to just be alright with their loved one being executed. Would you turn in your own brother/sister/mother/father if they had committed a murder? Now can you seriously tell me you wouldn't have any problems with them being put to death?

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

Yes. That's right. He's doing the world a "favor" by executing someone. Ever considered the fact that the executioner might be executing an innocent man/woman?

Yeah. The family of the criminal can just set aside their emotions based off of his actions. They can forget about the fact that he/she is a member of the family, a loved one, a son, a daughter or the like. They can just set aside their emotions because of their actions during a small portion of their life. I'm not saying what they did is right, but you can't expect the family of the criminal to just be alright with their loved one being executed. Would you turn in your own brother/sister/mother/father if they had committed a murder? Now can you seriously tell me you wouldn't have any problems with them being put to death?

You never execute someone who's under suspicion of murder! If it's obvious if that person killed another then go ahead and execute them.

By not turning in that family member I'm just as responsible for the murder as they are. For the sake of others I would turn them in.

Again for a much cheaper, faster, easier execution: 2 bullets to the back of the head.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

You never execute someone who's under suspicion of murder! If it's obvious if that person killed another then go ahead and execute them.

By not turning in that family member I'm just as responsible for the murder as they are. For the sake of others I would turn them in.

Again for a much cheaper, faster, easier execution: 2 bullets to the back of the head.

There is no way you can prove 100% that someone murdered someone. There is always an alternate scenario that could of taken place. Killing people isn't the answer.

On a more moral note, what makes you think any single one of you have the right to decide whether another human being should live or die? What makes you so much better than they are? Every single one of you has done something wrong in your life before and I'm sure if every single person on earth was asked if they wanted you to be excecuted, at least one person would say yes.

10xy5fk.png

I don't really know... I kind of swing both ways. One half of me believes that it's immoral to take away someone else's life. Then the other half of me hopes all the pedophiles, murderers (depending on their motive behind it) get shot in the head.

I say depending on their motive because I do try to take the emotion away from it or be empathic. For example, say a 25 year old man was molested or raped by his grandfather. Then for years his parents didn't give him any counselling. Then one day a gay guy drugs him and tries to make a move on him. Under the influence of the drug and under the influence of past trauma, the guy snaps and stabs the gay guy, killing him instantly.

I guess if there is a chance of rehabilitation, I don't believe in capital punishment. But I guess that also brings the question about whether or not it is worth the time and effort to rehabilitate someone, let them back in to the world, then they screw up and take another life or molest another child.

It's debateable whether people with such destructive mindframes are capable of becoming better people.

Some would argue it's a disease, a life long mental illness that won't allow a person to change. Others argue it is environmental, with the correct alterations, change can be achieved. Others then again argue it is behavioural, they need to learn alternative behavioural techniques to deal with external stimuli. Some are disturbed by trauma and need inner healing to make the correct change.

Then once again a new argument stems, if a person has a mental illness that isn't their fault, is it still immoral for capital punishment?

Say a pedophile was born with Schizophrenia and it's the only reality they know. Or perhaps a murderer has some disorder and shot his cheating girlfriend in the wrong mind set. He is now overcome with shock and can't believe his actions.

I debate this one like ying and yang, unable to come to a complete decision. The more I question it, the more questions stem from it.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

On a more moral note, what makes you think any single one of you have the right to decide whether another human being should live or die? What makes you so much better than they are? Every single one of you has done something wrong in your life before and I'm sure if every single person on earth was asked if they wanted you to be excecuted, at least one person would say yes.

People are given the death sentence for very good reasons. They aren't "just like everybody else". We're not talking about stealing a loaf of bread - we're talking about serious murderers.

For those of you in the USA, I'd like to let you know that the death penalty isn't cheaper than life without parole. Death penalty trials/executions cost (on average) 40% more than the process which ends in life without parole.

I don't understand the thought process which leads people into believing that the death penalty sets an example and/or deters violent criminals from committing violent crimes. If you told me I had a choice between life in prison and dying by lethal injection/firing squad/hanging/ect, then I wouldn't hesitate to select the latter. Even if you weren't ready to die after being sentenced, I'm sure 25 years in prison would change your line of thinking.

Even most criminals rather take their life than go back to prison for 20+ years especially if they've been "in" before. Taking away a person's freedom is much, much worse than killing them. I see it as a ridiculous punishment not because it's inhumane (in the case of some people, they would frankly deserve torture), but because it's ineffective.

If my family member got killed, I'd much rather have them endure life without possibility of parole in prison, than die after a few years on death row...

If someone does something really bad, i.e. killing a schoolbus filled with kids, I vote they should be hung by their feet from the rafters and starved to death.

Inhumane? Cruel? Get over it, next time don't kill little kids.

What I agree with is if a person does something horrible enough (like raping and killing people in full consciousness and with deep planning, especially children), he should lose all rights to truly humane treatment. What I disagree with is the concept that quick lethal pain is somehow a proper punishment.

There are worse, psychological punishments available. Eternal solitary confinement with no access to any human being for the rest of his life is one of them. It's a ridiculously 'easy way out' to just kill someone. I would instantly select death over spending the next 70 years in a padded room into which you are handed a small meal tray once a day & you get to do nothing except stare at walls in silence.

It will be much more painful for the person than lashing or stoning him to death, starvating him, injecting a lethal needle that puts him out of his misery in a few minutes etc...

If my family member got killed, I'd much rather have them endure life without possibility of parole in prison, than die after a few years on death row...

I agree with you that they would suffer much more in prison. But in all honesty and thinking emotionally not rationally here, if someone hurt my son I'd much rather pay the right people to get the job done and maybe pay a little extra to make sure they suffered. Although it would damage the person so much more by taking away their freedom, I'd selfishly feel better that the bastard were dead :?

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

If someone does something really bad, i.e. killing a schoolbus filled with kids, I vote they should be hung by their feet from the rafters and starved to death.

Inhumane? Cruel? Get over it, next time don't kill little kids.

What I agree with is if a person does something horrible enough (like raping and killing people in full consciousness and with deep planning, especially children), he should lose all rights to truly humane treatment. What I disagree with is the concept that quick lethal pain is somehow a proper punishment.

There are worse, psychological punishments available. Eternal solitary confinement with no access to any human being for the rest of his life is one of them. It's a ridiculously 'easy way out' to just kill someone. I would instantly select death over spending the next 70 years in a padded room into which you are handed a small meal tray once a day & you get to do nothing except stare at walls in silence.

It will be much more painful for the person than lashing or stoning him to death, starvating him, injecting a lethal needle that puts him out of his misery in a few minutes etc...

Honestly, I completely agree with the part about them losing their rights to inhumane treatment. The degree of their crime should definitely depend on what happens to them but I doubt it would ever happen.

Even if they were executing an innocent man or woman, the rate of it has been 1 innocent person out of 10. I definitely don't like those odds but I'm sure most people would agree that if they had to kill 1 person to kill 9 bad people, they'd do it (and in some cases, even the innocent person would agree it would be better)

Trapt45.png

Morally, I'd say no.

Realistically, I'm kind of torn.

Torture is worse than death, in my opinion. However, it's more expensive, and this country right now should have higher priorities than keeping criminals alive.

Actually, I'm undecided morally. Your rights end when they meet another person's right. By killing someone, you take their right to live (Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness), so you should technically lose your rights as well.

I'm trying to figure out how effective it would be though. People still kill people today, despite fully knowing the possible consequences. Why would the possibility of death would stop them?

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

The thing is, death is a real mystery. We can't even come close to putting a finger on how death might 'feel'. We don't have the knowledge to say death is better than a lifetime of solitary confinement. All we can go by is what we do know - that when someone dies, they no longer have the opportunity to effect society.

The thing is, death is a real mystery. We can't even come close to putting a finger on how death might 'feel'. We don't have the knowledge to say death is better than a lifetime of solitary confinement. All we can go by is what we do know - that when someone dies, they no longer have the opportunity to effect society.

This is not true at all. They cannot affect society physically, but mentally people can influence generations.

Just look at MLKJR, JFK, Jesus Christ, ect...

Even if they were executing an innocent man or woman, the rate of it has been 1 innocent person out of 10. I definitely don't like those odds but I'm sure most people would agree that if they had to kill 1 person to kill 9 bad people, they'd do it (and in some cases, even the innocent person would agree it would be better)

No. Taking an innocent life so you can continue to kill the guilty isn't EVER justified. To be fair, the rate is not 1 in 10. It is much much less, but wouldn't it make more sense to just eliminate the risk all together?

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

While I don't support capital punishment, it annoys me how some people use prison sentences to essentially do the same thing. I get the feeling sometimes there's this petty need for retribution in society. Such hatred and anger helps no one, in my eyes.

The idea that I, not having any detailed knowledge of the law, can decide in a hypothetical scenario whether someone deserves to lose their life because of the crime they've committed is equally as arrogant and silly, too.

I don't understand the stuff about legal costs waiting on death row. Why would it need to take so long? Jury announces the guy guilty, sentencing, put him in a prison for I don't know, a year maybe, in case any big break is made in the case and it turns out he's innocent, then take them somewhere (similar to the back of a dog pound), pop pop, job's done, takes the same cost as housing any inmate for a year. Unless there's something I'm not understanding here.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I support it.

Also, I learned during Civics that there has been no case of innocent people being executed since 1912. If they get the death penalty, they usually have hard evidence that would pretty much no matter what prove you killed said person.

Though, I find life in prison to be cruel and unusual punishment. I mean, just the rest of your life in jail unable to do anything but stare blankly and think about random things. It's like mental torture.

I would much rather die quickly than live the rest of my life knowing I will never see freedom again.

I believe that the death penalty should be enacted if; It is beyond doubt that they did the crime (ie. a good number of unquestinable witnesses), It was forethought (no crimes of passion), and they present a true danger to society (they would do it again if given the chance).

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -Napoleon Bonaparte

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. -Bobby Henderson