Ipods

I_AM_SLICEMAN

I have a scandisc (cheaper then an ipod), and I can upload from any computer as long as I have the cord... umm.. but yeah, I don't know if yours will do the same... the people at best buy are idiots sometimes.

Formly known as TheKat146.

Retired in 2003 on RSC at combat level 111 <3

Well i have a 3rd gen ipod and have never had any problems uploading from multiple computers :wink: Maybe he meant to say that you cant just drag the songs off via itunes (heaps of programs that will though)

seph54646lrlr.jpg

As default yes you can only upload songs from one computer. In its default setting the ipod will syncronise with whatever computer its plugged into.

Laymans: If i plug my ipod into my computer it will download approx 2000 tracks. If i then take my ipod and plug it into my friends pc it will wipe the songs that are from my computer and replace them will my friends.

There is however an option to use the ipod as more of a portable hard drive where you manually add each song onto it so you would be able to use it with more than one computer.

The best way however would simply be so put all the songs onto one computer rather than using two or more.

Like Sepiroth23 said there are plenty of other programs for organising the songs on your ipod apart from itunes.

And no wma's are not suppported because they are lame.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

iPods. Yes. IPod or Ipod. Eww. iPod. Yes. Get my point? :P

Back on topic tho, yes, you can only load files from one computer onto your iPod, UNLESS you have your entire music library on multiple computers. If you do, you can use more than one computer. So to answer directly, there is no real limit to how many comps u can use your iPod with. What the iPod does when connected is boot up into iTunes on the computer. The computer then, by default will try to auto update the iPod. If you have say 600 songs on the iPod and your iTunes has no files, it will prob say something like "This iPod is linked to a different library, Would you like to replace the files on your iPod with that of this library? Yes/No. So yeah, you need your entire music library to use on multiple computers.

As for wmas, iTunes will convert it to AAC for you, without a problem. So no worries at all there. iPod + iTunes...an unbeatable combo. Good luck on purchasing an iPod, i'd highly reccomend one. Take note that I've went thru a couple hundred dollar mp3 players so far, and I'm going no further. The iPod is truely...amazing.

Wow, am I a "fanboy" or what? :lol: :oops:

signaturecj5.jpg

ok so, so um, ok thanks, but um what if i had itunes on a few computers, i cant add say 300 songs from one then another 400 from my lasp topp liek more collectivley, ur tellign me theyll just wipe :( thanks

Nope, in iTunes if you go into iPod options, and check the 'enable hard disk mode' box, you can add songs from any computer.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ok so, so um, ok thanks, but um what if i had itunes on a few computers, i cant add say 300 songs from one then another 400 from my lasp topp liek more collectivley, ur tellign me theyll just wipe :( thanks

Nope, in iTunes if you go into iPod options, and check the 'enable hard disk mode' box, you can add songs from any computer.

Actually, the option is enable disk use :wink: Anyway thats what I have.

That's a problem I had when I first got mine. I didnt know about that option and couldnt hold all the songs I wanted since they were on different accounts. But when you use it as an external hard drive, it's like having a USB memory key: you can put or take documents/folders one at a time without disturbing the other ones and move on to another comp and do the same. I cant see how someone can use an iPod without enabling disk use... It's should be illegal!

I use my iPod without disk use. All my songs are on my computer. If i want some songs my friend has i'll borrow his cd for a few days to add to my own library. It works for me perfectly this way and I just dock and wait for it to sync. Takes seconds.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

~oops~

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

~oops~

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I hate Ipods kthx -.- :roll:

Why? You must have a valid reason...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't itunes where you go online and buy songs for 1 DOLLAR each? If so then why is everyone still using it when you can just get napster and download as many songs as you want for $15 a month?

please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't itunes where you go online and buy songs for 1 DOLLAR each? If so then why is everyone still using it when you can just get napster and download as many songs as you want for $15 a month?

Most iPod users use iTunes to send files to the device, not for the music downloads.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Because as soon as you stop your Napster subscription all your songs stop working.

Songs paid for on iTunes are yours to keep.

And Dan is right, I think ive only bought 2 songs from iTunes (both charity singles) and sometimes get the weekly free track.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I had a second generation ipod which got stolen and recently bought a ipod photo 60gb. I like ipods because of their looks mainly. Sound quality is ok, not as good as my Sony MZ-RH10 minidisc player/recorder which i use to record live concerts and recitals.

What i like best about the newest ipod is the linux hack. Lets you watch full color videos on it :P. No sound though, ppl cant figure out how to get the second processor on the ipod working with linux :cry:

Is there any way to use iTunes in Linux?

Windows Requirements

* Windows XP or 2000

* 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better

* QuickTime 6.5.2 (included)

* 128MB RAM (256 RAM recommended)

* Latest Windows service packs recommended

* Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard

* Broadband Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Macintosh Requirements

* Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later; Mac OS X v10.3 required for AirPort Express

* 400MHz G3 processor or better

* QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC

* QuickTime 6.5.2 and latest iLife updates required to use purchased music in iLife '04

* 256MB RAM recommended

* ADSL, cable modem or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Simple terms.... No

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Is there any way to use iTunes in Linux?

Windows Requirements

* Windows XP or 2000

* 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better

* QuickTime 6.5.2 (included)

* 128MB RAM (256 RAM recommended)

* Latest Windows service packs recommended

* Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard

* Broadband Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Macintosh Requirements

* Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later; Mac OS X v10.3 required for AirPort Express

* 400MHz G3 processor or better

* QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC

* QuickTime 6.5.2 and latest iLife updates required to use purchased music in iLife '04

* 256MB RAM recommended

* ADSL, cable modem or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Simple terms.... No

I'm sure someone has found a way, but that's hours of googling away so I'm not gonna look

EDIT: third result http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

But from all teh warnings I wouldn't recommend it unless you have cash to burn if something messes up :)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

You can use an ipod with linus eaxy. just itunes wont work.

theres plenty of other freeware programs to use as your file transfer thingy tho.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi