I pay, so why ads?

swordwarior

This is regarding the ads on the runescape home page. Recently, it seems they have made them take half the screen for a few secounds, even one had to be clicked out of.

So since they decided to rid f2p of ads, they put these ads on to annoy everyone? I believe they need to go back to the normal adds, as paying members shouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing.

Has anyone else expreienced this? Is this the solution to them removing f2p ads?

swordwarior.png

There is one add on the main page. It's not going to kill you and, personally, I don't mind them making a little extra money to help grow the company through this one add.

Also, how do you propose that, should Jagex decide to remove this one add for members, Jagex determine whether or not someone browsing the main site is a member? Or did you want to have them just take it down completely and lose all the revenue that it was bringing in (and no matter how small or great of an amount that really is, you can't say it's not currently being used to make RS a better game)?

EDIT:

Jagex shouldn't have ads that pop out over half the page like that, i have no problem with the ads that have always been. Recently they added these ads and its not fair to paying customers.

Just keep your mouse off of the add and you'll be fine. Is it really that big of a deal?

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

All ads on all RuneScape pages are banner ads, which only show on the main site and in f2p. If you have one that pops out over half the page its either a sizeing issue where your computer loads teh ad before it figures out the size (sometimes when I load the forums the sticky and locked syblos will be way to big for a second. If the ads do this for a second, then become normal thats probably your issue. If its somethign you need to close, or a popup in another window, then you have spyware/malware on your computer that is causeing the popups/large ads. The runescape site itself does not generate any of those. I know that because I dont get anything beyond the banner ad, and my ad blocker never registers a blocked ad on their site.

I've never gotten advertisements like that (and I agree, pop-up/expanding ads are annoying). Most of mine are cooperative and stay in the bar. I believe you can report advertisements like that that misbehave and cause a great disturbance to you.

Was this a pop-up advertisement or was this an expanding advertisement bar? If it's the bar, then some of them are designed to do that typically when you hover your mouse over it, even if you're just passing by it to get to the link. If it's a pop-up, then if Jagex is right, it's probably adware or spyware. A quick search through the knowledge base (see point 8) states that their advertisers are instructed not to use pop-ups, which means it's likely something that snuck onto your system from another website.

EDIT:

Jagex shouldn't have ads that pop out over half the page like that, i have no problem with the ads that have always been. Recently they added these ads and its not fair to paying customers.

Just keep your mouse off of the add and you'll be fine. Is it really that big of a deal?

Some of us use bookmarks for Runescape.com. In that case, the advertisement is right along the straight line between the Bookmark/Favorites menu and the play buttons, which means we probably slide the cursor over that advertisement without even thinking about it.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

All ads on all RuneScape pages are banner ads, which only show on the main site and in f2p. If you have one that pops out over half the page its either a sizeing issue where your computer loads teh ad before it figures out the size (sometimes when I load the forums the sticky and locked syblos will be way to big for a second. If the ads do this for a second, then become normal thats probably your issue. If its somethign you need to close, or a popup in another window, then you have spyware/malware on your computer that is causeing the popups/large ads. The runescape site itself does not generate any of those. I know that because I dont get anything beyond the banner ad, and my ad blocker never registers a blocked ad on their site.

I guess its as said above, it opens to that size when your mouse crosses over it.

The point is that if i accidently cross over it with my mouse, then i have to waste my time and patience dealing with it, when there was nothing wrong with the way the ads were before. I'm not trying to take money out of Jage'x pocket, they can keep their ad there, just make it stay there.

swordwarior.png

I have never had any issues with Jagex and the way they have done their ads in any way over the past 7 years that I have played.

And I don't know what ad you're talking about that's taking up this half page.

I mean they're banner ads for God's sake.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I guess its as said above, it opens to that size when your mouse crosses over it.

The point is that if i accidently cross over it with my mouse, then i have to waste my time and patience dealing with it, when there was nothing wrong with the way the ads were before. I'm not trying to take money out of Jage'x pocket, they can keep their ad there, just make it stay there.

yeah this is idiotic, it's very difficult to move your mouse from the address bar to the navigation without touching the advert, and you shouldn't have to avoid that section of the page.

fishing.gif

yeah this is idiotic, it's very difficult to move your mouse from the address bar to the navigation without touching the advert, and you shouldn't have to avoid that section of the page.

I find it very easy since I never did it and was only able to when trying on purpose.

Maybe Jagex can hire some online psychics to know who is a member and who isn't?

EDIT:

Some of us use bookmarks for Runescape.com. In that case, the advertisement is right along the straight line between the Bookmark/Favorites menu and the play buttons, which means we probably slide the cursor over that advertisement without even thinking about it.

Okay. I can see how that would be annoying. In this case, unless Jagex does remove these sorts of adds, you can always just add a bookmark that takes you directly to the game and, should you need to use the main page, just try to get your cursor down below the add before the page loads (although I seem to be getting one that doesn't require a mouse roll-over now, so IDK; you could try reporting the ad to Jagex (click the "?" next to the add for more information on this)).

EDIT: what the heck's up with my quotes?

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Bah, I found this annoying too. There's an ad for X-Men Origins: Wolverine that reaches all the way down to "Upgrade Your Account." It automatically plays when the page loads, meaning you don't have to mouse-over the banner to activate the expansion. I only find it annoying as once the ad loads, you can't "Click here to play" until the ~5s animation ends.

PassionSignatureTipit.png

solution:

Firefox + AdBlock Plus plugin.

This man speaks the truth!

Otherwise since adblock isn't allowed by Jagex, why not bookmark the Runescape game rather than the homepage? I more often than not skip out the middle man and just chose the actual game from my address bar. It's not too hard really.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Bah, I found this annoying too. There's an ad for X-Men Origins: Wolverine that reaches all the way down to "Upgrade Your Account." It automatically plays when the page loads, meaning you don't have to mouse-over the banner to activate the expansion. I only find it annoying as once the ad loads, you can't "Click here to play" until the ~5s animation ends.

Yes, this is one of them, very annoying.

To the people saying to use firefox, why should people have to change their browser because of Jagex's new ads?

swordwarior.png

To the people saying to use firefox, why should people have to change their browser because of Jagex's new ads?

I find that interesting because I keep getting that ad and I had to specifically hover over it to get it to expand down.

I find that interesting because I keep getting that ad and I had to specifically hover over it to get it to expand down.

Hm.

I just tested it using Google Chrome and SwiftBrowse as opposed to FireFox, my default browser. It does require you to mouse-over with those two, but on FireFox it plays automatically. ): Lame.

And I just noticed there's a small, hard-to-see "Close X" button when it plays.

Either way, ads like this are rather pesky.

PassionSignatureTipit.png

as i would say in another game QQ (short for quit complaining)

No where in agreeing to become a member did it say you were entitled to no adds while on runescape.com. Since that was never agreed apon then you have no reason to complain...

Read the whole topic :wall:

swordwarior.png

solution:

Firefox + AdBlock Plus plugin.

:thumbup:

i blocked all the adds long ago with that. i totally forgot they even existed

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come