3rd April 2009 - Forums for High level F2P'ers!

Wingless

The QFC is: 13-14-635-58620892

Q) Lordjay82 - Make the forums F2P.

A) Mod Mmg - Okay.

(Taken from Jagex CEO Mod Mmgs Even More Answers thread posted on 16th Feb 2009)

So, we said we would open up our forums to free players, and later this month, we will! We want to let you know about such a fundamental update in advance, as we recognise its a pretty big change from what youve been used to.

As Mod Mmg commented, RuneScape is different from all other MMOs in that the free game has over 12,000 hours of game time to max out all the quests, skills, content, and truly stands alone in its own right. Were also continuing to improve the free game without taking anything away from members benefits - and thats where this update comes in.

Now, before you think the forums will be overrun by so many new players that they will be flooded Dont Panic! Weve actually thought about how to go about doing this :)

For now, we will open the forums up to a limited number of free players over a certain XP level, who will have invested a great deal of time and effort into their RuneScape account. We feel they definitely can add to the vibrant forum community that already exists with their experiences, tales, questionsand hopefully quite a lot of fun!

We reckon there will be around 250,000 new forum users to add to the current active forum users, and over the coming weeks and months, we will gradually enable more high level free players to have access. Were adding more Jmods into the Player Support Community Management team to be able to support free players, as well as our current forum users, and well be looking to invite more Forum Moderators too both from members and free playing communities.

Please let us know what you think. Personally, and I think I speak for all at Jagex Game Studios, were quite excited at the prospect of free players being able, for the first time in years, to fully interact with every RuneScape player on our forums, and we cant wait.

As your new Community Manager, these are exciting times for us all where our Jmods in Community Management are busy attending your events, posting on the forums, helping you out in game, speaking to fansites, creating community events like the Clan Cup and generally reaching out to all communities within RuneScape not to mention working with our Content teams to see what else we can do for the Community.

I welcome your thoughts, input and comments, and Id love it if you could join me in welcoming them when the update goes live!

If you want to discuss this post, follow this link to the Future Updates Thread of the same name as this News Post

Mod Kelvin Community Manager, Player Support

Let me be the first to say:

YAY

Now, I can go back on the forums again! :D (Well, if I'm 'High' Enough)

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh noo... How many "FTP Needs X" threads are we going to see in the next week...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Oh yeah, can someone go tell the elitist 12 year olds who are being selfish [puncture]s and screaming about how all f2pers are noobs and beggars, regardless of level, to [bleep] off and learn to share every once in a while?

K thanks. ::'

Ohhh noo... How many "FTP Needs X" threads are we going to see in the next week...

Well, I for one won't be saying any *COUGHACHIEVMENTCAPESANDALSOATTACKPOTIONSBECAUSENOONEUSESTHEM

INP2PANDWOULDOPENUPANEWECONOMYFORBEGINNERHERBLORERSCOUGH*

Whew, excuse me. :lol:

Ahem.

Now, before you think the forums will be overrun by so many new players that they will be flooded Dont Panic! Weve actually thought about how to go about doing this :)

For now, we will open the forums up to a limited number of free players over a certain XP level

Ahem.

Ahem.

Ahem.

For now, we will open the forums up to a limited number of free players over a certain XP level

Ahem.

Ahem.

Actually, total expirence does not equal intelligence. I've met plenty of level 110s who are mean, flammatory, and have no sense of egish at al u now. So we'll still most likely have a noob increase.

But then again, it will still be much better than letting everyone post. That would be horrid. :shock:

sounds good, its nice that they didnt just open the floodgates and allow any and all f2p'ers to have full access to the forums.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

Oh yeah, can someone go tell the elitist 12 year olds who are being selfish [puncture]s and screaming about how all f2pers are noobs and beggars, regardless of level, to [bleep] off and learn to share every once in a while?

And why shouldn't we? Us PTPers pay for every single update FTP gets. FTP is nothing but a drag on overall server costs, designed with one goal in mind - get as many people as possible to switch to members and begin paying instead of freeloading.

Oh, and for the record, I'm 32, not 12. How old are you?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

And why shouldn't we? Us PTPers pay for every single update FTP gets. FTP is nothing but a drag on overall server costs, designed with one goal in mind - get as many people as possible to switch to members and begin paying instead of freeloading.

Please calm down. I don't want this thread to die because two little girls are having some stupid arguement.

OT:

And who's to say that US F2P's were not P2P'ers? I was, up until awhile back when I cut Membership. Besides, HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS usually have been on RS along time. I have loads of high level friends who are F2P's and have been playing almost since RS' birth.

So, shut your mouth and don't slag off F2P'ers. We are players too.

How you react to a situation often times overrides how old you claim to be.

I'm actually glad that this update came into play. This probably means that I can maintain my tech thread while on Freeplay! It's a good thing that they did this, since the community doesn't consist of the minority of players, and many Freeplayers have really, really good suggestions and ideas to improve the game.

@compfreak: Just because we pay for their server costs and what-not does not automatically make them yesterday's rubbish. You should have a more open mind to opening up the forums to Freeplay...I mean, it can't be any worse than Members (whom are "entitled") acting a damn fool, right?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Based on overall exp? gf me

This is like an invite to raise my cooking L

raw fish will rise in price! :o

Not really. It could be based on skills that are harder to get up - such as the Core Combat skills, your overall level and harder skilling skills (e.g.:RuneCrafting, Crafting or Smithing)

And who's to say that US F2P's were not P2P'ers? I was, up until awhile back when I cut Membership. Besides, HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS usually have been on RS along time. I have loads of high level friends who are F2P's and have been playing almost since RS' birth.

So what? You mean nothing to Jagex. They are a company, with the ONLY goal of making money. You cost them money, your an annoyance they have to put up with in hopes that you'll start paying.

How you react to a situation often times overrides how old you claim to be.

Exactly my point. His use of '12 year olds' as a generic, predetermined insult for anyone who dares disagree with him is ignorant at best.

@compfreak: Just because we pay for their server costs and what-not does not automatically make them yesterday's rubbish. You should have a more open mind to opening up the forums to Freeplay...I mean, it can't be any worse than Members (whom are "entitled") acting a damn fool, right?

From a humanitarian perspective, they are no better then us. From a business perspective, they are freeloading scum.

DeviledEgg24.png

Comp, i think you need to think beyond the surface of this.

Use of RSOF may tempt some f2pers to buy p2p, as well as the glimpses of p2p items that f2p only temporaily has (such as the cabbage /gnomeball situation)

Reading rsof and all about p2p could encourage f2pers to buy p2p, even if not all of them do.

Although some may take advantage of this, many may be tempted to buy f2p, and tbh, i think if all of rsof is people like you spamming "buy p2p", some might buy p2p out of pressure and then stick if they see how good it is.

Things arent always what they seem.

From a humanitarian perspective, they are no better then us. From a business perspective, they are freeloading scum.

The rhetorical question then becomes, "Is it your business?"

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Please calm down. I don't want this thread to die because two little girls are having some stupid arguement.

OT:

Erm, you just told me to stop having an argument, and then proceed to personally attack him. ::'

Anyway, so you're mad that you pay for maybe four updates a year (more last year, but that was mainly because they were rebalancing PvP) that we get for free? And maybe my parents don't want to spend five dollars a month on an online game they think is pointless anymore (yes, I know they're cheapskapes (SP?), but that's beside the point).

And even if what you said about F2P is true, we still play the game as well, whether you like it or not. So don't just automatically assume we're all freeloaders, niavely grouping a million online players into a self-fabricated sterotype, and learn to actually share instead of selfishlly sticking to a superitory ideal that is fabricated on the sole fact that you pay a quarter more every day than we do.

*whew*. /rant

And I say twelve year old not as an actual age (and for the record, I'm 14), but as an insult to maturity. Just to clarify.

The rhetorical question then becomes, "Is it your business?"

Nope, but it's a business I'm paying to deliver me the highest quality content possible, not to treat as many people as fairly and equally as possible. If that was what I wanted, I'd give $5 a month to my favorite charity.

DeviledEgg24.png

So what? You mean nothing to Jagex. They are a company, with the ONLY goal of making money. You cost them money, your an annoyance they have to put up with in hopes that you'll start paying.

How dare you say that F2P'ers are wastes of time.

By doing this, more F2P'ers will want to become member because they can hear what members are saying about the P2P worlds and easily get convinced.

You say your 32, but you seem to know nothing about SALES TACTICS. I'm MUCH YOUNGER than you, and I know this.

And, who knows: Jagex may even make a seperate forum for F2P'ers.

Also, if you HAD A BRAIN, you would realize that if 'All F2P'ers are wastes of Jagex' valuable time, money and server costs' (like you claim us to be), then they would have limited F2P'er to something like Varrock and Lumbridge, or even shut down the whole F2P process.

So please shutup, you wingy imbecile and possibly go back to school. There goes the saying Older People are much Wiser, eh?

Can we get back to the thread, not to this simpleton twit? ~Thanks.