True quests

JoeDaStudd

Theres much talk about quests recently with the big 150 and possible big 170 (I think its an odd number myself) spring to mind.

As well as talks of quest lines coming to an end, the goblin quest line seems to have ended and there are talks of ending the red axe quest line fairly soon.

Which got me thinking: Whats the number of true quests?

When I say true quests you have to look at whats not a true quest.

In the past holiday events were simply events, same goes for the tutorial island it was simply a basic tutorial for the game.

These where only recent occurrences (dating back from mid last year).

But looking back has there been some of the other tutorial style quests?

Wolf whistle was little more then a summoning tutorial.

Jungle Potion and Druid ritual are both little more then a 2 part tutorial.

When thinking of how to phrase this topic I looked for some information to back up my idea and found this.

If you look at the table it looks like Jagex are trying to bulk out the quest list.

If you was to exclude just the holiday event quests from the quest list there would be 3 less quests.

This would put the quest count at 149 which seems a bit strange.

So why has Jagex decided to pad out the quest list;

Are they running out of ways to use the world we have?

Are they boosting the quest points or numbers for specific reason?

Are they simply trying to lure more F2P players over to P2P?

Are they running out of new fresh ideas?

And so on.

I'd just like to hear you opinions on the padding out of the quest list.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

There are no fake quests. While some quests act as tutorials, they still have their own story fleshed out. In Pyre Need was a tutorial quest, but when you think of it was just as long as, say, the repunzel style quest (where you save the dwarf north of Falador in the tower by climbing his beard).

They haven't.

Are they running out of ways to use the world we have?

This has been discussed every year since the game was launched. No.

I doubt it, but if they are it's because the community puts too much investment into 50-100-150 and now 170.

They're a business, so yes.

Are they running out of new fresh ideas?

You've already asked this, it's been discussed for years. No.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I doubt it, but if they are it's because the community puts too much investment into 50-100-150 and now 170.

They could be boosting the number to get to the maximum trade limit, which is based on total qp's

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Perhaps they're simply trying to add some more "quests" for the F2P'ers without upsetting the members. F2P gets to add to their quest points, and the members don't get upset because it was just a holiday event.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

They could be boosting the number to get to the maximum trade limit, which is based on total qp's

It's based on the amount of quest points you have compared to the max amount of quest points. The max is always 60k until Jagex changes it again, regardless of the new quests being released and more quest points being obtained.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

They haven't.

Look at the quest list for the 141 to 150.

150 The Chosen Commander

149 In Pyre Need <- Tutorial style quest

148 Myths of the White Lands <- Event Quest

147 While Guthix Sleeps

146 Swept Away <- Event Quest

145 Defender of Varrock

144 Summer's End

143 All Fired Up <- Tutorial style quest

142 Meeting History

141 Spirit of Summer

To me that looks like 4 filler quests so that Chosen Commander could be number 150. They said they had been working on it for ages so whats to say after completing or writing the quest they felt it deserved the to be the 150 so added a few quests so it met the requirement (namely In Pyre Need and Myths of the White Lands).

Kaida23 great point I never thought of it that way.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

It's based on the amount of quest points you have compared to the max amount of quest points. The max is always 60k until Jagex changes it again, regardless of the new quests being released and more quest points being obtained.

But perhaps Jagex feels the current max qp is not worth a trade limit raise? So they're releasing more quests until they reach a point where they think 100k etc... is reasonable.

weiyao5.png

All quests are true quests.

Just beause it doesn't seem like that to some elite-ist people, doesn't make it true. Some quests do serve as tutorials, but how does that rob them of being a quest? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Look at the holiday quests. Before Swept Away they were mini-quests like ghostly robes or the bar crawl. There's very little difference between the old holiday quests and the new ones so why add them as official quests?

Why not bring back all the old holiday quests and add them to the list and why not add the mini-quests to the quest list then?

Its not being elitist its simply say hey why change the way things work, which leads to my questions at the end of the post.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

All quests are true quests.

Just beause it doesn't seem like that to some elite-ist people, doesn't make it true. Some quests do serve as tutorials, but how does that rob them of being a quest? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Look at the holiday quests. Before Swept Away they were mini-quests like ghostly robes or the bar crawl. There's very little difference between the old holiday quests and the new ones so why add them as official quests?

Why not bring back all the old holiday quests and add them to the list and why not add the mini-quests to the quest list then?

Its not being elitist its simply say hey why change the way things work, which leads to my questions at the end of the post.

I see what you're saying, but just as there is little reason to put the new quests on now, there's little reason to not put them on either. =/

It sounds kind of elitist though (in my eyes), although I don't think that's what you intended :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

A True quest is a quest that gives questpoints. Even though it might be easy to complete keep in mind that there is lower leveled people and that quests should be for everyone.

They should make a new tab next to the achievment dairy`s, Called sidequests or something.

There are going to be easy quests, and there are going to be hard quests. Long and short, minor and important, etc.

Why not say Monk's Friend, Clock Tower, Roving elves, Sea Slug, and Fishing contest aren't 'true' quests then. They're easy and short.

Also worth noting that event quests are F2P too.

If you was to exclude just the holiday event quests from the quest list there would be 3 less quests.

This would put the quest count at 149 which seems a bit strange.

Maybe they planned it that way and the next quest is going to be the "real" 150th.... It's definitely possible.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Don't you think if they were releasing filler quests to make a specific one #150, they'd have made that 150th quest be While Guthix Sleeps, the totally epic one?

They supposedly have another totally epic one (that was) close to release, but then ran into some technical difficulties a little while before Chosen Commander (which is, as you probably know, the 150th quest when counting holiday 'quests') came out.

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

Don't you think if they were releasing filler quests to make a specific one #150, they'd have made that 150th quest be While Guthix Sleeps, the totally epic one?

They supposedly have another totally epic one (that was) close to release, but then ran into some technical difficulties a little while before Chosen Commander (which is, as you probably know, the 150th quest when counting holiday 'quests') came out.

And as a side note to those that (may) say that the Jumper means that the 150th was meant to be TCC then you should know that Jagex was selling the clothing as a 'pre-order' service, and hence had only just ordered them, meaning that maybe there was something else in planning.

But then again only time will tell.

1yrb49.jpg

Yeah, but my point still stands.

Yeah, but my point still stands.

Until Jagex releases the planned 150th quest, I don't think we should assume that WGS is better than it or vice versa.

Also, I don't find it very logical to hold back WGS several months just so that it could be #150 when it was ready for release and there was another potentially epic quest in the makings and in line to be ready (as far as they could tell at that point in time) for release when it came time for quest #150.

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

Until Jagex releases the planned 150th quest, I don't think we should assume that WGS is better than it or vice versa.

Also, I don't find it very logical to hold back WGS several months just so that it could be #150 when it was ready for release and there was another potentially epic quest in the makings and in line to be ready (as far as they could tell at that point in time) for release when it came time for quest #150.

Right, and this is where the filler quests come in to push WGS up to 150. But as we can all see, that isn't what they did, so we know they didn't do that. Make sense?

Right, and this is where the filler quests come in to push WGS up to 150. But as we can all see, that isn't what they did, so we know they didn't do that. Make sense?

You pretty much just stated the obvious. If that wasn't what you were trying to do, then I would also like to add that it isn't likely that any of said filler quests were near completion when WGS came out and would have created a 49 day jump between quests with the two quests at either end being the very holiday quests that may or may not actually count as 'true' quests (if you don't count them, then the gap would have been over 3 months without WGS in there).

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

You pretty much just stated the obvious. If that wasn't what you were trying to do, then I would also like to add that it isn't likely that any of said filler quests were near completion when WGS came out and would have created a 49 day jump between quests with the two quests at either end being the very holiday quests that may or may not actually count as 'true' quests (if you don't count them, then the gap would have been over 3 months without WGS in there).

Well I was mostly directing it at this:

To me that looks like 4 filler quests so that Chosen Commander could be number 150. They said they had been working on it for ages so whats to say after completing or writing the quest they felt it deserved the to be the 150 so added a few quests so it met the requirement (namely In Pyre Need and Myths of the White Lands).

If it seems like I'm stating the obvious, I guess it's because it really is obvious. The premise of this thread is silly because there's really no reason to "pad" the quest list. The primary reason, if there had been one, would be to bump WGS up to be the 150th quest, and they didn't do that. If they were "padding" the quest list, they would have. But they didn't, so they aren't. Bottom line, they're not filler quests, they're just easy quests, because not all quests have to be hard.

I do think that new quests should be aimed at high-level players, because those are the players who care most about new quests. But that's a different topic altogether. And anyway, the four quests here have valid reasons for being easy. The holiday ones had to be accessible to all of f2p, which has most of the low levels, and the other two were a means of introducing new content, although it's true they'd have been just as well off as miniquests.

Well, then, we find ourselves in agreement (don't you love it when you think you're arguing one thing and another thinks you're arguing another and then you either end up agreeing with each other on both things or those 'two' things end up being the same thing and you actually agree, but the wording threw everyone off? :lol: ).

Although I would like to add the fact that Jagex really only plans for every 50th quest to be awesome and just releases the rest (whether they're awesome or not) as they become ready for release. However, even in planning for the 50th quest to be awesome, I'm sure they don't just say "Hey this quest we got here that's going to be done on [insert approximate date here] needs to be the next 50th quest. Go make up some stupid quests to make sure it can be so."

Rather, it would make more sense that they would say (months, if not over a year, before any projected date for the next 50th), "Hey, we're coming up on the next 50th slot, and are currently set to have the [insert a multiple of 50 - 1 here]th quest out on [insert approximate date here]. Let's get to work on an awesome quest that we should be able to get done in time to be the next 50th quest."

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try