Why is he still here?

max_miller20

Hi all.

This is rant to let out some anger at one of my old friends, and at the way offences in runescape are handled.

To start it off I will not be naming any of my friends acounts. I meet my friend in question around when clan chat came out, I was introduced to him trough my clan chat channel. We became freinds because of our similarities at the time, he and I both enjoyed pking and neither of us were members at the time (although he had been one before). I got to know him a a bit and he introduced me to his pure account. I didn't have anything agaisnt pures, I just think they're a bit of a waste. He continued playing and was active in our clan for a couple months. But after that he began to grow out of the game and just stoppepd playing all together. Only logging on sparaticly to say high and test any new content.

While he was no longer active I got my membership for the first time. A little more than a month ago he started playing again, his parrents had alowed him membership as well. I supprised him by telling him that I was now a member too. He thought that was great and we had a small reunion and went pking together in the new pvp worlds. I was not as good as I was before but we had fun. We talked over pm for a while after. He told me that one of his friends was going to quit runescape soon because he didn't like were the game was going. He also told me that his friend wanted to give him their acount. Now I'm not exactly a stickler for rules, having broken some myself. He talked with me about it a lot, weather or not he should trust his friend. It was a slight nuisance because he just couldn't make up his mind. All the while I was thinking "Just take the god damn acount and get it over with, what does it matter if he lied to you, it wasn't your to begin with!" In the end he took it and left his old one.

He thought it would be fun to going pking with me, being that his new acount was close to my combat level. We spent the day pking. He showed off all his new stats to me. He talked a lot about the ones that he friend had spent a lot of time on, his runecrafting and herblore levels. Of course it pissed me off. Most friends try not to rub it in your face if they're better than you. But this... he only had 3 levels higher than me and he couldn't get off of it, they weren't even his stats (although he actted like they were!) He and I had been good friends for a while so I made light of it and laghed it off, we both sucked at pking now anyway.

He hadn't come back to our clan when he rejoined so I only talked to him on Pm. He supprised me when he logged into his pure acount (which I still had added even though it had been off for over 6 months.) I asked him why he was on this one now, he told me that he wanted to start pking on a pure again. It was odd because he hadn't mentioned it when we pked together before. So whatever, that was his business, I still thought that a pure or second acount was a waste of time. The next day he loged on for only about 10 minutes and he started talking with me about his pure acount. The dialog that follows is pretty rough and not our exact words (infact I have only a idea of what we said), and it's pretty much the entire point I'm getting at.

Him: "I'm gona get rid of my pure"

Me: "How so?"

Him: "I was gona sell it"

Me: "Why? And how do you plan on doing that"

Him: "I was hopping that if I sold it I could get enough money to buy a better one"

Him: "I'm getting a moderator to help me"

Me: " Ummm... you think a moderator is going to help you sell your acount?"

Him: "Yea. From this website, he's checking my acount now before he puts it up"

Him: "I might just keep the money I get from it too. lol

Me: "Mkay, uh... I'm gona report you now and ignore all your acounts"

Okay, I reported him right away. I WAS FREAKING PISSED!!! Okay, first you take your friends account and then you rub it in my face for a week how great "your" new stats are. Then you make a dip[cabbage] move and try to sell your acount! You couldn't even do it right. He went to an acount trading site, what the hell?! Is there anything at all inbetween your ears?

At that point, more than anything else at all, I wanted him IP banned. I could care less about how mean it might have been for me to report one of my best friends, I just wantted me and this game to get rid of him forever. About a month latter I can still look at his stats in the high scores. Tell me jagex, how do you not ban somebody like that? How can you posibly not have enough evidence? Or how could anyone ever get an apeall for something like this?

Does it really matter whether I was right? #-o
This is Tipit. There is nothing more important than being right.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind before you reach eighteen.

There's just no good way to detect account sharing. Saying your selling an account is generally enough to get a blackmark or two and a 3 day mute (been there, seen that), but nothing more.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

There's just no good way to detect account sharing. Saying your selling an account is generally enough to get a blackmark or two and a 3 day mute (been there, seen that), but nothing more.

So the player themself admiting it isn't good enough?

Does it really matter whether I was right? #-o
This is Tipit. There is nothing more important than being right.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind before you reach eighteen.

If he kept saying "I am gonna", or " I was thinking about", then Jagex will not ban him for account trading. You can say you thought about it, but unless you are advertising account trading, or talking about account sharing, i.e. "want to train x for me, ill give u my pass" etc, then no banhammer will be brought out.

So the player themself admiting it isn't good enough?

How is Jagex supposed to differentiate between a friends joking around (most reports) and an actual trade? Most traders aren't dumb enough to admit it to anyone who would report them, they need more evidence then saying it for serious punishments.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought banned players still had their stats show up on the highscores?

It used to be that Jagex reset your account completely, but that's no longer the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought banned players still had their stats show up on the highscores?

It used to be that Jagex reset your account completely, but that's no longer the case.

I dont remember resets (doubt it to begin with) but the High Scores removed thing's been around for a good 4 years that I can remember back to.

Popoto.~<3

I dont remember resets (doubt it to begin with) but the High Scores removed thing's been around for a good 4 years that I can remember back to.

Mm, ok. I think that banned player's highscores should stay, but that's just my opinion.

Jagex gets a lot of reports each day. It could easily take weeks for them to get to your friend. Then couple that with the staff break everyone took for easter...You should just wait a little longer, but you've done all that you could have done, so you can't be blamed. Now all that's left is for Jagex to take action, and if they don't, you still have nothing to lose.

The problem with account sharing detecting is that you can't detect trades very well because one person now "owns" the account and knows the password. Let's just say two people know the account password of a single character. Person A is in New York and logs in and then out. Ten minutes later Person B is in Colorado and logs in. That's quite obvious. but what if the two people lived down the street? If they constantly longed in simultaneously with two accounts and flip-flopped (person A logs in with account A while Player B is logged in with B at the same time. They both log out and then switch to B and A respectively.)

Yet with trades, people will most likely "Rest" for a few days before logging in so that the ip change does not go off on the radar. Yes, New York to Colorado in 10 minutes is impossible, but what about in two days? It's completely possible that someone moved from New York to Colorado in that time and never traded the account. There's just not enough HARD CORE evidence, except for maybe behavior change, mannerisms, etc but that's not conclusion even then.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Wow. I'm shocked they didn'y ban for that one... I mean that was kind of obvious.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

The story you told was pretty interesting and I'm wondering why JaGeX didn't ban that guy permanently. They're always trying to protest that stuff and make the game against account trading (I.E. Balanced trade). They're just too lazy to check those reports unless it's a mod.

Oiger1.png

when_power_love_150.gif

Actually, back in either 2004 or 2006, Jagex had a mass unbanning of all the players that were stuck in the Black Hole thing. They reset all of the players' stats back to 1 (even hitpoints!). There is a skiller with like 2 hp or something like that; it's freaking awesome IMO.

On topic: Yeah, I agree your friend shouldn't have boasted about those stats. But I guess everyone has tendencies to brag sometime. that doesn't make it right though.

guideicon.png

The problem with account sharing detecting is that you can't detect trades very well because one person now "owns" the account and knows the password. Let's just say two people know the account password of a single character. Person A is in New York and logs in and then out. Ten minutes later Person B is in Colorado and logs in. That's quite obvious. but what if the two people lived down the street? If they constantly longed in simultaneously with two accounts and flip-flopped (person A logs in with account A while Player B is logged in with B at the same time. They both log out and then switch to B and A respectively.)

Not obvious at all, what if they have firefox set to use a proxy in Colorado and IE set not to? And for some reason the person decides to switch which browser he/she is using to play the game? Just because an IP shows up as being from one location, doesn't mean the player is actually anywhere near there.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Not obvious at all, what if they have firefox set to use a proxy in Colorado and IE set not to? And for some reason the person decides to switch which browser he/she is using to play the game? Just because an IP shows up as being from one location, doesn't mean the player is actually anywhere near there.

Exactly. Hell, I have a SOCKS proxy I keep for emergency purposes. I could email you a 400k KB file, tell you to run the .bat file and the next time you logged into RS it would be under my home's IP. It also works for getting around corporate firewalls and forum bans (Not TIF, of course).

DeviledEgg24.png

You reported your friend?

:wall:

And you woulden't? A rule breakers a rule breaker.

Of course I wouldn't.

I have more of a circle of friends rather than individual friends so if I reported one of them I would stop being friends with all of them, but then again I wouldn't report them if they were individual friends. Some things are more important than WBMing.

Zerker_jane.png

Dark to answer your wondering, yes resets were around.

Yep. I've been reset back in RSC when I was automining on a friends account :P (yes that's two offences at the same time. I iz gud)

Disclaimer: I haven't broken any rules since.

this situation reminds me a bit of the oj trial...how apparently they heard him admit it when some people think he didn't....facts are...jagex is somewhat good on this...from what i remember hearing....they detect changes in behavior of the person using the acc....if they go from being calm and collected on one ip to agressive and angry on the other...they use that to detect account sharing/trading...

div>