iMac questions

Sam

My father recently bought me an iMac, and I'm wondering what sort of applications I should get/download; Applications that can help improve my workflow, enhance the performance, since it has only 2GB* currently, and just improve the general look.

Also, what instant messenger would you guys/girls recommend? It'd be good if it has webcam support.

*How much does Mac RAM cost?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I believe that mac ram is DDR2 so use crucial(.com), defiantly do not use apple to buy the ram as they overprice way to much.

DDR2 Is cheap btw:P

All current Mac systems use 1066MHz DDR3 RAM and the iMac supports up to 8GB. Use the Crucial memory adviser as with the information we have now, we cannont determine what model you have. I am assuming the 2.66GHz 20" with the 9400M? To check click on the apple in the top left corner and select "About this Mac." Select "More Info," you should now see what the clock speed of your CPU is (EX: Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz). Take note on your following post and scroll down (on the left side) to "Memory." Paste it here (EX: BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x802C

Part Number: 0x31364A53463235363634485A2D3147314631

Serial Number: 0xDC4A1E86)

Finally, just to confirm, scroll back up to graphics/displays and paste the GPU (EX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M)

Or if you already know the model, just state so. I think this may be the RAM you need.

I suggest downloading Adium (a IM service sans webcam support), Mercury Messenger (I believe it support iSight, but I couldn't get it to work), VLC Player (you don't need it if you download Flip4Mac and Perian), Flip4Mac (plays WMVs), ShadeScreen (assuming that you use a second external display other than the Apple Cinema Display), Safari Beta 4, and Perian (another codec for QuickTime). I don't have any others, but my tastes may differ. Oh, and CandyBar if you want to mess with the dock/icons.

By the way, are you using Might Mouse? It is corded/cordless? How is the accuracy and overall feel?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

By the way, are you using Might Mouse? It is corded/cordless? How is the accuracy and overall feel?

I know you didn't ask me, but I've used a wireless Mighty Mouse a few times (at my friends house). I didn't really like it at all, it seemed like it was kind of laggy. Also occasionally it would freeze up, and it would be able to move around but couldn't click anything. My friend said this happens occasionally, and he can't figure out why.

I believe that mac ram is DDR2 so use crucial(.com), defiantly do not use apple to buy the ram as they overprice way to much.

DDR2 Is cheap btw:P

All current Mac systems use 1066MHz DDR3 RAM and the iMac supports up to 8GB. Use the Crucial memory adviser as with the information we have now, we cannont determine what model you have. I am assuming the 2.66GHz 20" with the 9400M? To check click on the apple in the top left corner and select "About this Mac." Select "More Info," you should now see what the clock speed of your CPU is (EX: Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz). Take note on your following post and scroll down (on the left side) to "Memory." Paste it here (EX: BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x802C

Part Number: 0x31364A53463235363634485A2D3147314631

Serial Number: 0xDC4A1E86)

Finally, just to confirm, scroll back up to graphics/displays and paste the GPU (EX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M)

Or if you already know the model, just state so. I think this may be the RAM you need.

I suggest downloading Adium (a IM service sans webcam support), Mercury Messenger (I believe it support iSight, but I couldn't get it to work), VLC Player (you don't need it if you download Flip4Mac and Perian), Flip4Mac (plays WMVs), ShadeScreen (assuming that you use a second external display other than the Apple Cinema Display), Safari Beta 4, and Perian (another codec for QuickTime). I don't have any others, but my tastes may differ. Oh, and CandyBar if you want to mess with the dock/icons.

I'm on my windows laptop at the moment, I can remember some specs:

2GB RAM

24 inch screen

800mhz

I think it's DDR2.

I'll post the rest of my specs tomorrow as I'm posting this on a café's wifi :wall:

I do indeed use a mighty mouse, but since I work on photoshop which involves a lot of right clicking, I use the mouse I do on Windows; does Apple produce a two button mouse?

I've downloaded Adium, it works great!

Also, what Anti-Virus would you recommend?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Well, of those there Mac ones there are, i'd probably recommend Norton or Avast.

Some friends who have Macs have Norton on theirs, and it seems to work without a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I strongly advise you don't download antivirus, actually. There are no viruses that currently affect the Macintosh and antivirus software only scans for Windows virus codes anyways. If you somehow allowed a trojan (because they can't work without your username and password, meaning that you have to know it's there) Norton or any other AV program wouldn't do any good.

And no, they don't produce a two button mouse. A shame really, because lifting up your left finger to right click is a pain.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

And no, they don't produce a two button mouse. A shame really, because lifting up your left finger to right click is a pain.

If by "two button mouse" you mean having a left and right click... that's exactly what the mighty mouse has, and has had for a couple years now.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

If by "two button mouse" you mean having a left and right click... that's exactly what the mighty mouse has, and has had for a couple years now.

Yeah, but it's still a single button and you have to lift your left (or right finger) finger to initiate a secondary click, as was my understanding. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not what most consumers usually conform to.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yeah, but it's still a single button and you have to lift your left (or right finger) finger to initiate a secondary click, as was my understanding. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not what most consumers usually conform to.

Hm, I'll have to try that out next time I get my hards on one. I generally lift-before-click, so I guess I've never noticed in the few times I've used one.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Lol, Anti-virus software should be the last thing that comes to mind when someone asks about Mac OSX software.

Since I don't know exactly what type of things you want the software to do, I'll recommend some sites...

http://appstorm.net/

http://smokingapples.com/

http://macalicious.com/

http://macrumors.com/ Also check out the forums...

http://theappleblog.com/ Probably the best and friendliest for finding new software and so on.

You said you want to enhance performance etc. so I guess Candybar to change icons. The iWork/iLife packages from Apple, you should already hav iLife 09... Office 2008 if you want Word, Excel etc. People say that Mac's have less software available, but I think the quality of the software available is much higher.

Although it is good to have Anti-virus software, the facts suggest that there is much less chance of getting a virus that will affect your Mac than on a Windows PC. I'm not saying there isn't viruses and malware out there, but generally many Mac users don't both with Anti-virus. If you don't feel secure without one, download it, simple as that.

At the current time of writing, there are no viruses for the Macintosh. Most antivirus software only scan for Windows viruses, despite being on a Unix platform, alongside the small pool of trojans currently known. The chances of the user being infected with these items are too small, in my opinion, to warrant a decline in system performance. So long as a competent user is sitting at the computer and doesn't allow a random picture on the internet into the user's root files (which, if something other than an application asks for, you should be cautious) the user will be safe based on their own accord.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

At the current time of writing, there are no viruses for the Macintosh. Most antivirus software only scan for Windows viruses, despite being on a Unix platform, alongside the small pool of trojans currently known. The chances of the user being infected with these items are too small, in my opinion, to warrant a decline in system performance. So long as a competent user is sitting at the computer and doesn't allow a random picture on the internet into the user's root files (which, if something other than an application asks for, you should be cautious) the user will be safe based on their own accord.

That is a false rumor you're trying to spread. There are Viruses for Macs, but they are much less present for the fact that most people are on Windows. Most of the Viruses do like most of the Windows Viruses I encounter do: Make their way through using user errors. At least it's like that starting with Vista and also in Windows 7 (UAC anyone?).

That is a false rumor you're trying to spread. There are Viruses for Macs, but they are much less present for the fact that most people are on Windows. Most of the Viruses do like most of the Windows Viruses I encounter do: Make their way through using user errors. At least it's like that starting with Vista and also in Windows 7 (UAC anyone?).

No.

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without the permission or knowledge of the owner. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can only spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.
All actions on a Macintosh that affect the system require user name and password. I'm not saying there isn't spyware, malware, worms, or trojans, nor that they are impregnable and haven't had any in the past, but there are no programs that run without the user knowing so. The Unix operating system is built upon layers that, even after having permission, do not entire the root system. For this reason, it will never be as effective as it would have been on an operating system such as Windows.

And there mere fact that Widows holds 90% of the market isn't reason to say that there so "few" of them. Apple is marketing these machines as "virus-free" to the average consumer. I'm sure the creators of these malicious codes would love to take that away, less make a name for themselves.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

At the current time of writing, there are no viruses for the Macintosh. Most antivirus software only scan for Windows viruses, despite being on a Unix platform, alongside the small pool of trojans currently known. The chances of the user being infected with these items are too small, in my opinion, to warrant a decline in system performance.

If such was the case, I'm quite sure that Apple wouldn't have included ClamAV as the email virus scanner in OS X server since 10.4 [1]. ClamAV does not, as far as I am aware, only scan for Windows viruses, but is intended to scan for software that acts as a virus, as all good virus scanners should.

C2b6gs7.png

As I understand, but there's a difference between corporate and consumer. As ClamAV's site shows, none of the top 10 items are viruses, as I pointed out to sbrideau2000; there's a difference between all of these things and replicating viruses that appear on your computer without explicit access as defined by the user.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

All actions on a Macintosh that affect the system require user name and password.

On Vista too.

And it's probably safer. But the media has blown it out of proportion and the many users find it annoying.
hopesolopatriot.jpg