Mechanics Of Wcing And How It Can Help U Get Logs Faster

icebox84

you really need to explain it better. there was no logic behind the more people on a tree=faster logs theory, atleast none that i could see

if it is a random number generator that decides if a tree falls, wouldnt more people give it more of a chance to fall within the given time, thus giving you a smaller chance to get a set # of logs? and if there is a swarm of people, it would make all other trees fall faster, meaning you wait wile they spawn to get more logs, wasting time, potential exp and money

i have cut in crowded areas and empty ones. i always. ALWAYS get faster logs alone, than i ever have with a crowd.

oh yeah, i once tried cutting yews where the macroers where before trade updates. the trees fell in a matter of seconds and i got maybe 1-2 logs per tree, and alot of time running around to the next tree. obviously, more people = WORSE. MUCH MUCH WORSE.

your "logic" is completley backwards and groundless

tl;dr - i know that each tree will yeild logs at the same rate regardless of how many people, but the tree falling sooner/time spent running around/waiting for tree spawns is what makes it slower

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Look my ideas sound. I put it the best why I could if you don't get it fine. I give up on all yall ppl hatting on me. You all are taking every thing I said and twisting it around. For example

have cut in crowded areas and empty ones. i always. ALWAYS get faster logs alone, than i ever have with a crowd.

I never said anything about getting logs faster the more ppl u have on a tree. I said it doesn't effect the cut rate. MY MAIN POINT WAS CUTTING BY YOURSELF DOESN'T GET YOU LOGS FASTER. And if you cut as a group the CHANCES are higher that the trees will grow back and they all get chopped down less often. Of coarse the less ppl chopping in one area gets you logs faster. Thats because your having to move less. But when ppl lots of ppl are around the better option would be to chop together.

if it is a random number generator that decides if a tree falls, wouldnt more people give it more of a chance to fall within the given time, thus giving you a smaller chance to get a set # of logs? and if there is a swarm of people, it would make all other trees fall faster, meaning you wait wile they spawn to get more logs, wasting time, potential exp and money

I stated that right here. Did you even read it?

The only ways if affects you is is when have have more than one person on a single tree the chance of that tree getting knock down sooner is more. This is because you have not one dice rolling for that unlucky number but multiple dices at once.

Oh and I stated it don't work all the time but it does most of the time. Just depends how many dice you have rolling(players chopping) But even half the time is better and more xp and more money. Enough ppl start doing it, it could get popular and move around enough to make a difference.

Hang on.... you're trying to give rumours and guesswork as empirical evidence and directly contradict the few people who know for certain exactly how the Dragon Hatchet is programmed (i.e. JaGEx)? I don't think that, taking 300 as your test sample, you have any basis for making the suggestions that you've made. I deliberately avoid putting smileys into my posts, but imagine 'frustrated'. You just can't test *anything* on that small a sample size, and assuming that you can is arrogant.

Look bud you dont walk though my every day life but I chop precisely 4 hours a day and a gain roughly 300 logs every night for over 6 months now. The daily average has stayed the same all the way from lvl 75 to 97. I was only stating my OPINION I said:

Anyways my point is I'm not saying what you are about to read is all fact, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about most of it. Anybody is more than welcome to debate issues with me here or if you agree.

Debate Ppl Debate. Not put me down because you don't agree. Present your idea and your reason for believing the way you do. If you have nothing real to say to debate the issue at hand please don't post here.

Also:

You've automatically lost my interest in the first paragraph, you should probably read "How to win friends and influence people" it could teach you a thing or two about dealing with people, and how to get them round to your way of thinking. Also, most of your guide is plain logic that a lot of people, and not just "programmers" know; I have very basic programming and java knowledge and at the moment I'm finishing my gcse's yet I could tell you what you've told everyone in your guide.

I never said I wanted to be you friend. I'm not doing this for you or anyone else. I'm doing it for me. But it just so happens to benefit other as well. I'm sry it didn't make you fall in love with my words as your godliness so obviously can. And if everyone knew this why the heck is everyone still spreading out. How are you getting logs faster if your not chopping at all.

A common reason why people do woodcutting is the afk'ing advantages; if the tree is cut down too fast (despite what you might think that it doesn't get chopped down too fast, in my experience it does), it means more clicking, therefore losing it's afk'ing advantage. Oh, and you're forgetting about the amount of people in the world; I can't find the source but Jagex once said that the amount of people in a world affects respawn points, how quickly fishing spots move and how quickly trees spawn again, therefore you may have to think about the "never running out of trees" quote.

Ok yes maybe a few more clicks per hour, I agree. But.. I am an afk wcer. The 4 hours a night is when im wcing on my paper route. I'm watching the road. Yet I still have no problem listening for the sound of chopping to stop and move on to the next tree. But still you git logs faster if you just click on an occupied tree instead of a vacant one. Also yes the more ppl in a world the faster the tree respawns which only affirms my point that the more ppl around yes tree falls faster but they also grow back faster.

Overall, this guide is filled with yourself trying to be superior to the common runescapian, which is DEFINETLY not going to get you good ratings. My opinion.

Once again:

First I'd like to say the method I'm going to show you later in this guide I did not create. I was told this by someone else.

I don't have many things I'm good at but there is one skill I have and I'm very good at it.

Oh yes very arrogant and superior of me to not take the credit for this idea and and to state I'm not good at very many things. Which may also may include making guides. If you can do better, be my guest.

I'm almost 99 wcing and I wont care anymore. I was only trying to help. Well all yall can go to hell. I'll never post here again.

It's hopeless to try and spread this information. It seems perfectly plausible to me but convincing people who don't think logically isn't going to work. It's like the Egg cannon at Barbarian Assault. People will never understand that you don't lose points for using that, even though there is an option to say it in the Quick Chat!

adamcpahl22.png

My YouTube channel

56,222nd to 99 Fletching ~ 01-1-09

58,720th to 99 Cooking ~ 06-1-09

40,214th to 99 Woodcutting ~ 06-10-09

40,480th to 99 Magic ~ 03-11-09

41,611st to 99 Firemaking ~ 08-5-10

92,525th to 99 Constitution ~ 24-6-10

Look my ideas sound. I put it the best why I could if you don't get it fine. I give up on all yall ppl hatting on me. You all are taking every thing I said and twisting it around. For example

have cut in crowded areas and empty ones. i always. ALWAYS get faster logs alone, than i ever have with a crowd.

I never said anything about getting logs faster the more ppl u have on a tree. I said it doesn't effect the cut rate. MY MAIN POINT WAS CUTTING BY YOURSELF DOESN'T GET YOU LOGS FASTER. And if you cut as a group the CHANCES are higher that the trees will grow back and they all get chopped down less often. Of coarse the less ppl chopping in one area gets you logs faster. Thats because your having to move less. But when ppl lots of ppl are around the better option would be to chop together.

The only ways if affects you is is when have have more than one person on a single tree the chance of that tree getting knock down sooner is more. This is because you have not one dice rolling for that unlucky number but multiple dices at once.

Oh and I stated it don't work all the time but it does most of the time. Just depends how many dice you have rolling(players chopping) But even half the time is better and more xp and more money. Enough ppl start doing it, it could get popular and move around enough to make a difference.

that doesnt explain ANYTHING. there is no logic behind your "chopping together is better" AT ALL. it makes trees fall sooner and you have to wait for them to grow, wasting time. as having more people on a tree doent help one person get individual logs faster then your logic is completley backwards and has no sence to it. either that, or you need to explain it better

"And if you cut as a group the CHANCES are higher that the trees will grow back and they all get chopped down less often."

wait, are you saying having multiple people on a tree makes it last for longer? or am i misreading it. coz i coulda sworn thats what you said

and for the last quote in there, you never actually explain properly how having more people helps in anyway, AT ALL. all it does is make trees fall sooner

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

that doesnt explain ANYTHING. there is no logic behind your "chopping together is better" AT ALL. it makes trees fall sooner and you have to wait for them to grow, wasting time. as having more people on a tree doent help one person get individual logs faster then your logic is completley backwards and has no sence to it. either that, or you need to explain it better

"And if you cut as a group the CHANCES are higher that the trees will grow back and they all get chopped down less often."

wait, are you saying having multiple people on a tree makes it last for longer? or am i misreading it. coz i coulda sworn thats what you said

and for the last quote in there, you never actually explain properly how having more people helps in anyway, AT ALL. all it does is make trees fall sooner

What I think that icebox64 is trying to say is that; whether there's 1 or 10 people cutting the same tree, YOU will always get logs from that tree at the same rate regardless. You will probably get less experience and logs per hour, however, as there's a higher chance that you will have to spend time waiting for a tree to respawn as when there are more people, the trees get chopped down faster (Think of the Stealing Creation Trees, whether your alone or with 20 people cutting at the same time, it's always the same speed except it will fall quicker with more people cutting it).

Assuming that you had a tree that never got chopped down, your woodcutting speed is completely unaffected by how many are chopping it.

Do you get it now?!?!

The second problem of cutting together being more efficient or something along those lines is more difficult to explain.

If there are 5 players cutting 5 trees (as an example, yews). If they each cut there own tree and start simultaneously, the trees are likely to fall around the same time. When all 5 are down, what do you know you have to wait around for a minute or 2 doing absolutely nothing = lots of wasted time.

If those 5 players started on 1 tree and went 1 tree at a time, by the time the last tree falls, the first tree will be spawned or very close to it = low or no wasted time.

Do you get it now?!?!

adamcpahl22.png

My YouTube channel

56,222nd to 99 Fletching ~ 01-1-09

58,720th to 99 Cooking ~ 06-1-09

40,214th to 99 Woodcutting ~ 06-10-09

40,480th to 99 Magic ~ 03-11-09

41,611st to 99 Firemaking ~ 08-5-10

92,525th to 99 Constitution ~ 24-6-10

edit; i messed up. i misinterpreted what he said as "you get faster logs with other people than cutting alone" where one person in that area in the game gets slower logs. but if there are more people....cut together on the same tree. even tho if there is too many, the trees could still fall too fast...

sorry if i came off as rude. ;p you guys hadnt worded it well

and to the above poster, you had NO RIGHT, AT ALL, to talk downt to me like that, as though i was a [developmentally delayed] or a child. i have only seen one of your posts and i already hate you

What I think that icebox64 is trying to say is that; whether there's 1 or 10 people cutting the same tree, YOU will always get logs from that tree at the same rate regardless. You will probably get less experience and logs per hour, however, as there's a higher chance that you will have to spend time waiting for a tree to respawn as when there are more people, the trees get chopped down faster (Think of the Stealing Creation Trees, whether your alone or with 20 people cutting at the same time, it's always the same speed except it will fall quicker with more people cutting it).

Assuming that you had a tree that never got chopped down, your woodcutting speed is completely unaffected by how many are chopping it.

Do you get it now?!?!

The second problem of cutting together being more efficient or something along those lines is more difficult to explain.

If there are 5 players cutting 5 trees (as an example, yews). If they each cut there own tree and start simultaneously, the trees are likely to fall around the same time. When all 5 are down, what do you know you have to wait around for a minute or 2 doing absolutely nothing = lots of wasted time.

If those 5 players started on 1 tree and went 1 tree at a time, by the time the last tree falls, the first tree will be spawned or very close to it = low or no wasted time.

Do you get it now?!?!

Yes this is it. I'm sry I couldn't explain it better but I did say I'm not very good at many thing and teaching others is one of them. But No one else was doing it so I felt I should at least try. It would make me very happy if some who was good at explaining things and presenting themselves would remake this guide to make it better. But like I also said I'm almost 99 and when I hit 99 I will probably never touch a damn tree again in my entire rs life. So the only reason I'm wasting my time here writing to yall, losing xp the whole time, is because I'm trying to be helpful to others. If most of yall are too stubborn to get it, fine with me. Don't effect me any longer. It now falls on those ppl that do get it and still have a ways to go till 99 or their goal. This will be my last post on this topic as I'm frustrated and angered trying to help and getting nothing but rebuke. Good luck to all and happy wcing.

Posts like this always catch my interest, player's specualting about the mechanics of the game can lead to some interesting takes. ;)

I completely agree with your first point - from a logical perspective, having logs cut FASTER due to the number of players being around the tree cutting, would be silly. I'd imagine the structure to be more similar to a random 'roll' which is influenced by your Woodcutting level than that.

Now, I arrive at a point of specific interest to me. Your argument that the trees cannot use a random number of logs to distribute to players in order to determine when the tree falls. Immediately, this flagged as being something odd. Game Servers require a vast amount of processing, which is why primarily you use dedicated machines for the task. Furthermore, your argument is memory usage - YES, excessive memory usage is bad. However, a random number initialised upon construction isn't excessive. The standard Integer Java Data Type requires 4 Bytes of Memory from the machine. Your argument of 10,000 trees and 169 Worlds (May be wrong there), would result in 40,000 bytes per machine (assuming worlds are dedicated) and 6,760,000 bytes overall. A meagre 6601kb distributed over 169 Worlds (Machines), I don't know about you, but if that's something to worry about I think a much higher priority is worrying about Jagex's Server Machines than that. ;)

As for your 'getting logs faster' method, well - I'm not completely doubting it. But I feel that simply stating it is far too many assumptions. It makes common, logical sense - yes, and in that respect I'd have to agree with it. But - when you're trying to argue a point, I'd highly advise looking into the probability of a tree falling due to 1 player cutting, and a tree falling due to N players cutting. Compare these using a variety of test-runs and see what comes out.

Furthermore, I'd have to add that your point about Dragon Hatchet vs Rune Axe, although you've stated that it's false, casts a LOT of doubt on your post for me. I've set that aside to write this argument, as that would be highly-biased, but just thought I should mention it somewhat.

Now - as this has really piqued my interest, I thought I'd digress from developing Java Games for a while to write a little test program for your findings. I'll create a post later or edit this one once it's done with the source, and the test results for clarity. Then we can see, partially, which stands out more. :)

Cheers,

Ronan.

Edit: Well, here it is - my apologies if it seems a little rushed, some of the code may be a bit inefficient in places, but it gets the job done. ;)

•  
    [hide=Constant.java]/*

* Constant.java

* Created on 01-Jun-2009.

* This is part of the Woodcutting Test Application developed by Ronan Turner

* in order to test basic randomness of a variety of possible methods implemented

* in Runescape for the Woodcutting Skill.

*/

package game;

/**

* The Constant class defines constants used throughout this application.

* Primarily - tree maximum log values.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Constant {

/**

* Define Constants.

*/

public static final int NORMAL_MAXIMUM = 1;

public static final int OAK_MAXIMUM = 10;

public static final int WILLOW_MAXIMUM = 20;

public static final int YEW_MAXIMUM = 30;

public static final int MAGIC_MAXIMUM = 50;

public static final int MAXIMUM_NO_TREES = 4000;

}[/hide]

[hide=Game.java]/*

* Game.java

* in order to test basic randomness of a variety of possible methods implemented

*/

package game;

import java.util.ArrayList;

import java.util.Iterator;

/**

* The Game is where everything is initialised and set going.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Game {

/**

* Define instanced variables.

*/

private ArrayList worlds;

/**

* Constructor for the Game Class. Creates an ArrayList of worlds, ready to

* process.

*/

public Game() {

worlds = new ArrayList();

for(int i = 0; i < 1; i++) {

worlds.add(new World());

}

processWorlds();

}

/**

* Process all the Worlds.

*/

public void processWorlds() {

Iterator iter = worlds.iterator();

while(iter.hasNext()) {

World world = (World)iter.next();

world.processWorld();

}

}

/**

* The Main Method, used to start the Java Application.

*/

public static void main(String[] args) {

new Game();

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Magic.java]/*

* Magic.java

* This is part of the JavaGames package used as an educational

* learning application. Created by Ronan Turner.

*/

package game;

/**

* Magic defines the mighty, magnificent magic trees...

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Magic extends Tree {

/**

* Constructor for the Magic Tree.

*/

public Magic() {

super(Constant.MAGIC_MAXIMUM, "Magic");

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Normal.java]/*

* Constant.java

*/

package game;

/**

* Normal indicates a Standard, Normal Tree in Runescape. (Lowest level).

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Normal extends Tree {

/**

* Constructor for the Normal Tree.

*/

public Normal() {

super(Constant.NORMAL_MAXIMUM, "Normal");

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Oak.java]/*

* Oak.java

*/

package game;

/**

* Oak defines your standard Oak Tree in Runescape.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Oak extends Tree {

/**

* Constructor for the Oak Tree.

*/

public Oak() {

super(Constant.NORMAL_MAXIMUM, "Oak");

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Player.java]/*

* Player.java

*/

package game;

import java.util.Random;

/**

* The Player class emulates a player in that the player is assigned to a tree,

* has an 'inventory' of logs, and can chop the tree.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Player {

/**

* Define Instanced Variables.

*/

private int invLogs; //Stores the number of logs this player has.

private int swings;

private Random random; //Create an instance of the Random class.

/**

* Constructor for the Player.

*/

public Player() {

random = new Random();

swings = 0;

invLogs = 0;

}

/**

* Chop Tree Method. This uses a standard 'dice-roll' method to determine if

* the player gets a log.

* @return Returns true if a log was chopped.

*/

public boolean chopTree() {

swings++;

int roll = random.nextInt(10) + 1;

if(roll == 1) {

invLogs++;

return true;

} else {

return false;

}

}

/**

* @return Returns the number of logs this player has.

*/

public int getLogs() {

return invLogs;

}

/**

* @return Returns the number of swings.

*/

public int getSwings() {

return swings;

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Tree.java]/*

* Tree.java

*/

package game;

import java.util.Random;

/**

* Tree acts as an overall superclass for all trees in Runescape.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Tree {

/**

*/

private Random random; //Create an instance Java's Random Class, used for pseudo-random generation.

private ArrayList players; //Holds a Random Number of Players chopping this tree.

private boolean alive; //Determines if this tree can be chopped. (Is available).

private String type; //Shows the type of tree.

private int rollChance;

/**

* The Constructor for the Tree Class.

* @param max The MAXIMUM number of logs available to this tree. (Constant for each type of tree).

*/

public Tree(int rollChance, String type) {

players = new ArrayList();

random = new Random();

this.type = type;

this.rollChance = rollChance;

for(int i = 0; i < random.nextInt(10) + 1; i++) {

players.add(new Player());

}

alive = true;

}

/**

* Decreases the logsAvailable by 1 each time it's called. Used to indicate

* a Player has 'chopped' a log.

* @return Returns true to indicate succesfull chop.

*/

public void chopLog() {

int roll = random.nextInt(rollChance) + 1;

if(roll == 1) {

alive = false;

}

}

/**

* @return Returns the ArrayList of players.

*/

public ArrayList getPlayers() {

return players;

}

/**

* 'Processes' this tree. It gets each player to chop the tree, until the

* tree dies.

*/

public void processTree() {

while(alive) {

Iterator iter = players.iterator();

while(iter.hasNext()) {

Player player = (Player)iter.next();

if(player.chopTree()) {

chopLog();

}

if(!alive) {

displayInfo();

return;

}

}

}

}

/**

* Display Information about this tree upon death.

*/

public void displayInfo() {

String playerSwing = "";

String playerLogs = "";

int totalSwings = 0;

int totalLogs = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < players.size(); i++) {

Player player = (Player)players.get(i);

playerSwing += "(" + player.getSwings() + ") ";

totalSwings += player.getSwings();

totalLogs += player.getLogs();

playerLogs += "(" + player.getLogs() + ") ";

}

System.out.println("");

System.out.println("==========================");

System.out.println("Tree Type: " + type);

System.out.println("Players: " + players.size());

System.out.println("Swings: " + playerSwing);

System.out.println("Logs: " + playerLogs);

System.out.println("Av. Swing/Log: " + (totalSwings / players.size()));

System.out.println("Av. # Logs: " + (totalLogs / players.size()));

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Willow.java]/*

* Willow.java

*/

package game;

/**

* Willow defines those poor, abused, weeping-willows of Runescape.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Willow extends Tree {

/**

* Constructor for the Willow Tree.

*/

public Willow() {

super(Constant.WILLOW_MAXIMUM, "Willow");

}

}[/hide]

[hide=World.java]/*

* World.java

*/

package game;

/**

* The World class creates a 'World', this emulates a Runescape World by having a

* large number of trees in the world.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class World {

/**

* Define Instaced Variables.

*/

private ArrayList trees; //Trees is an ArrayList used to store all the trees created.

/**

* Constructor for the World Class, 'Creates' the world. The trees are in

* proportion: (15:10:8:5:2) (Norm:Oak:Willow:Yew:Magic)

*/

public World() {

trees = new ArrayList();

int split = Constant.MAXIMUM_NO_TREES / 40;

for(int i = 0; i < split*15; i++) {

trees.add(new Normal());

}

for(int i = 0; i < split*10; i++) {

trees.add(new Oak());

}

for(int i = 0; i < split*8; i++) {

trees.add(new Willow());

}

for(int i = 0; i < split*5; i++) {

trees.add(new Yew());

}

for(int i = 0; i < split*2; i++) {

trees.add(new Magic());

}

}

/**

* Process this world. This iterates through the list of trees, and gets

* each player associated with the tree to keep cutting it until the tree is

* dead.

*/

public void processWorld() {

Iterator treeIterator = trees.iterator();

while(treeIterator.hasNext()) {

Tree tree = (Tree)treeIterator.next();

tree.processTree();

}

System.out.println("World processed.");

}

/**

* @return Returns the ArrayList of trees.

*/

public ArrayList getTrees() {

return trees;

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Yew.java]/*

* Yew.java

*/

package game;

/**

* Yew defines the highly-coveted Yew Trees of Runescape.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Yew extends Tree {

/**

* Constructor for the Yew Tree.

*/

public Yew() {

super(Constant.YEW_MAXIMUM, "Yew");

}

}[/hide]

[hide=Tree - Max Logs Based. (Tree.java)]/*

* Tree.java

*/

package game;

import java.util.Random;

/**

* Tree acts as an overall superclass for all trees in Runescape.

* @author Ronan Turner.

*/

public class Tree {

/**

*/

private Random random; //Create an instance Java's Random Class, used for pseudo-random generation.

private ArrayList players; //Holds a Random Number of Players chopping this tree.

private int logsAvailable; //Stores the number of logs available for this tree. (This instance)

private int startingLogs; //Stores the starting number of logs available.

private boolean alive; //Determines if this tree can be chopped. (Is available).

private String type; //Shows the type of tree.

/**

* The Constructor for the Tree Class.

* @param max The MAXIMUM number of logs available to this tree. (Constant for each type of tree).

*/

public Tree(int max, String type) {

players = new ArrayList();

random = new Random();

this.type = type;

for(int i = 0; i < random.nextInt(10) + 1; i++) {

players.add(new Player());

}

logsAvailable = random.nextInt(max) + 1; //Generate a Random # between 1 and max.

startingLogs = logsAvailable;

alive = true;

}

/**

* Decreases the logsAvailable by 1 each time it's called. Used to indicate

* a Player has 'chopped' a log.

* @return Returns true to indicate succesfull chop.

*/

public void chopLog() {

logsAvailable--;

}

/**

* @return Returns the ArrayList of players.

*/

public ArrayList getPlayers() {

return players;

}

/**

* @return Returns the number of starting logs.

*/

public int getStartingLogs() {

return startingLogs;

}

/**

* 'Processes' this tree. It gets each player to chop the tree, until the

* tree dies.

*/

public void processTree() {

while(alive) {

Iterator iter = players.iterator();

while(iter.hasNext()) {

Player player = (Player)iter.next();

if(player.chopTree()) {

chopLog();

}

if(logsAvailable <= 0) {

alive = false;

displayInfo();

return;

}

}

}

}

/**

* Display Information about this tree upon death.

*/

public void displayInfo() {

String playerSwing = "";

String playerLogs = "";

int totalSwings = 0;

int totalLogs = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < players.size(); i++) {

Player player = (Player)players.get(i);

playerSwing += "(" + player.getSwings() + ") ";

totalSwings += player.getSwings();

totalLogs += player.getLogs();

playerLogs += "(" + player.getLogs() + ") ";

}

System.out.println("");

System.out.println("Tree Type: " + type);

System.out.println("Logs: " + startingLogs);

System.out.println("Players: " + players.size());

System.out.println("Swings: " + playerSwing);

System.out.println("Logs: " + playerLogs);

System.out.println("Av. Swing/Log: " + (totalSwings / players.size()));

System.out.println("Av. # Logs: " + (totalLogs / players.size()));

}

}[/hide]

Hmm, well - apologies for such a long post, I would of uploaded the files to my host, but I'm not sure if these forums like the posting of links to outside files, even if they are txt / java.

Anyway - if you have a better suggestion, please, feel free to reply and i'll get it sorted as soon as possible. ;)

This application creates a 'World', within that world a fixed number of trees are created, these trees are created in proportion to each other. (Normal, Oak, Willow, Yew and Magics are created.) After this creation, a random number of 'players' are assigned to each tree. Upon finishing construction, the application 'processes' all the trees.

Processing involves iterating through the trees, and having all players cut the tree sequentially - the players have a random chance of successfully chopping the tree and receiving a log. With the first version - if a player receives a log, the tree then performs a 'roll' to determine if the tree dies or not due to that player. With the second version (Trees based on Max Logs), the tree will subtract one from the logsAvailable variable, if that hits 0 - the tree dies. In the second version, the logsAvailable is a random number created upon construction.

This application provides 2 very feasible methods for the Woodcutting mechanics - both implementable as you can see. These 2 methods are the Maximum Logs Available per tree and a Random Chance of the Tree Dieing upon Chopping. Two out of the three methods described by the original poster - one proposed as not efficient. The methods are interchangeable by replacing the code within Tree.java, with the code in Tree - Max Logs Based. No other changes should be necessary.

The application is entirely customisable, with a bit of playing around, one can run quite a few different test scenarios. For example - the results i'm about to post can provide insight into the logs gained via one player chopping a tree and the logs gained via multiple players chopping a tree. The application could be extended in order to implement regrowing trees - but i'll leave that to anyone that's interested enough to do it. ;)

The following are two test results from the application, I've uploaded them as a .txt file as they're each just under 40,000 lines long, I don't think that would work great in a hide tag. :lol:

Output from Maximum Logs Tree: http://rturner.byethost3.com/output2.txt

Output from Random Death Roll: http://rturner.byethost3.com/outputDeathRoll.txt

I'll leave this up to the readers to decide which one has a greater likeness to the Woodcutting mechanics in the game. All I'd say is that there are some interesting results there - and the tests were carried out using the same test data, only different methods, so it should of been a fair test. However - you're welcome of course to compile the source and try it for yourself. ;)

Now, I just thought I should mention the inconsistencies of the application. The primary difficulty is that there are a lot of assumptions made based on the game's mechanics, such as the Player's random roll to determine if a log is chopped. I also haven't implemented any possible relation about different grades of Hatchets.

Furthermore, I'm using Java's Random class. This is a standard, pseudo-random generator, and like most random generators - it's not entirely random. ;) This is a flaw which is difficult to overcome, as any 'Random' generator, has to follow a set pattern to generate the random number. Java's pseudo-random generator uses the System Time to influence random numbers, as such - there is a bit of an inconsistency with the actual game in that all trees are processed very quickly after each other, resulting in possible influences to the random numbers generated. Within the game, all trees aren't chopped down simultaneously, so it doesn't hold the same flaw.

Anyway, this little application's primary aim is to show the readers and the original poster that the two methods are highly possible implementations, and perhaps put some insight into the mechanics in contribution to this post.

Enjoy,

Ronan. :)

Do you get it now?!?!

Do you get it now?!?!

You will always get logs from the tree at the same rate but that is not the problem here, the problem is that with more people the chances that the tree will be cut down are far greater, as icebox has shown in his original post.

Let's move onto these 5 players cutting the 5 yews, if they all cut their own tree it would be be inefficient, I'm not disputing that.

Now you move onto when these 5 players all start on the same tree and work their way around the tree grove as they fall, always being at the same tree. When they are done the first tree will be spawned or close to it. Fine, very little wasted time there but you don't take into account the time used in moving to different trees.Although this time would be minimal, it would add up into minutes, and then hours.

If you had these yews alone you'd still get the logs at the same rate but the chances that the tree will be cut down are far fewer than with 5 people, this means you can stay at the tree longer (getting the same rate of logs as with 5) and this means less time spent moving to a new tree. As stated earlier this time would be minuscule but would add up. Thus I conclude that there is no practical reason to woodcut with other people, unless you'd like the company. Event the company argument can be discarded since there's clan chat and always the friend's list system.

Even if you have trouble making friends, like icebox certainly does, you can always drop into a "public" clan chat.

Secondly, this is too confusing for most 8 year olds.

IDK. It was a 9 yr old that counterfeited the first 100 dollar bill. Don't underestimate how smart kids really are. Beside its up to the one that can understand it to break it down for the ones that can't

Don't overestimate how smart kids really are. So many things were wrong with your answer.

A: MOST 8 YEAR OLDS He was not referring to slightly less stupid 9 year olds, he was talking about 8 year olds.

B: So what if a 9 year old was the first to counterfeit a 100 dollar bill. its easier to jsut steal it out of someone's wallet, and probably safer :lol:.

C: From what I've seen, there are less smart kids than there are smart kids, and unless the 8 year old in question is a genius, he wouldn't understand this.

Also, I don't see how this gets you logs faster. Example is that being alone does in fact get YOU more logs. You get all the logs in the tree, whether the tree has 1 or 1,000,000,000 logs, you get them all alone, whereas if you share the tree with 5 people, assuming you all have the same wc lvl and axe, you would get roughly 1/5 of the logs, since rs is basically a rng of some kind (might not be, but it seems to me, so correct me if I'm wrong, seriously). This means, cutting alone or with 100 other players on the same tree, they don't affect you other then the fact that they increase the chance of the tree getting chopped down. This means that the time you spend walking to a new tree because someone else cut it down is time LOST, not SAVED. This means that cutting a tree alone is better, since you get all the logs, and no one else increases the chance of the tree getting chopped down, which leads to time lost. This makes you get logs SLOWER.

Prove me wrong, but having more people chop the same tree manes the tree has a higher percentage of getting chopped down, which means you have a higher chance of losing time by walking to a new tree, which had it not been for the others, you would have gotten more logs and not lost time moving to a new tree.

Now, I'm not in a big, fancy programming school, but was that simple programing or what? It didn't seem to hard to understand. Otherwise, nice attempt. As I pointed out, you lose logs by having more people chopping a tree, but prove me wrong.

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

Why are you trying to guess at this thing with no real facts to back you up when you can easily just see which one is faster (cutting by yourself or with a group) by doing a simple exp per hour test? Just cut logs for 20 hours with a group, and 20 hours by yourself, and compare experience.

But anyway I don't want to make you feel bad, it really is a good explanation of how trees work. ::'

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Why are you trying to guess at this thing with no real facts to back you up when you can easily just see which one is faster (cutting by yourself or with a group) by doing a simple exp per hour test? Just cut logs for 20 hours with a group, and 20 hours by yourself, and compare experience.

But anyway I don't want to make you feel bad, it really is a good explanation of how trees work. ::'

I've done brief timings of shared vs. individual chopping, and it's always been the same speed. Once you establish that, the rest follows, doesn't it?

• 6 years later...

Hey Icebox84, I don't know if you still care about this but I think its great you put in the time you did to explain this.  It's so unnecessary for so many people to attack this guide when all you were doing was giving help to the community.

I thought this was a great guide.  I did a google search of "woodcutting mechanics rs forums", this came up, and answered everything I was wondering thoroughly and in a well-written manner.  A post like this was exactly what I was looking for, so I want you to know that despite all the hate this has received, I appreciate this guide, and it's helped a lot of people like me whether you're aware of it or not.  So thanks a lot man, and honestly, I made a tip.it account just to tell you this.

Each person has the same chance to cut down the tree per tick. With multiple people cutting the tree, the tree will fall faster than if only one person were cutting it.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

• 5 years later...

Lmao. Had to make an account because I was laughing at how complicated it used to seem. Thanks to the 2007 osrs wiki we now know that every time a log is cut there is a 1/8 chance of the tree falling down. It’s that simple. Doesn’t matter who cuts the log. Every time somebody receives a log the tree has a 1/8 chance of falling down.

I miss the old days when we were all clueless about the game mechanics. There was just no confirmation from Jagex about any of these things we just had to try to figure it out