Mechanics Of Wcing And How It Can Help U Get Logs Faster

icebox84

Hello Tipit.

First I'd like to say the method I'm going to show you later in this guide I did not create. I was told this by someone else. I thought about it and it made perfect scene. But it also got me thinking a lot about the way things work on my long journey to 99 wcing. I don't have many things I'm good at but there is one skill I have and I'm very good at it. I'm kinda like Syler on Heroes. I can look at things and figure them out. I've always had this skill and its only gotten better as I learned to use it. Anyways my point is I'm not saying what you are about to read is all fact, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about most of it. Anybody is more than welcome to debate issues with me here or if you agree. Just post your comments.

I'd like to start by clearing up a few common misconceptions about wcing in rs, the reason why they are false and why people think they are true.

First:

The biggest and worst common misconception is that cutting any tree all by yourself will somehow get you logs faster then if you were shearing that tree with 1 or more other players. THIS IS FALSE!!

Reason people believe it is true:

When making a game the developers try to stay with the natural realm of physics. This is to make the game more realistic and believable. But this can't always be done. Trying to stick with just wcing; when trees fall(chopped down) in real life, they don't take just a few minutes to grow back like in runescape.

Runescape knows we need trees quicker than it takes a real tree to grow. Yet runescape does keep with the face that a tree when cut does eventually get cut all the way down. The problem with this, is it leads people into believing there is only a certain amount of logs in each tree. I understand why people think this. After all in real life you can only get so much wood from an individual tree.

Why it is not true:

We have to think from a programmers prospective. (BTW I'm in school for Programming) We already know that how many logs you do get is random. Its different every time. But what non-programmers don't know is in order to store an random amount of logs in each tree all over runescape, you would have to create a variable for each tree.Think of a variable as a box you can put information in. This box takes up memory. And all programmers know the less memory the better. Now we are talking about creating literally 10's of thousands of variables, not only for each and every tree in runescape but also for each world(or server). Reason we have to create these variables is because each time a new tree is created, we need a box to store how many logs that tree has.

How can we still make the tree still give out a random number of logs without creating all these variables which waste memory and system resources. I can think of only 2 feasible ways to do this. The first, which I rule out immediately is a time base tree. The the object tree is created anew, it waits for a player to start chopping on it and the timer starts counting down. But what if the player leaves the tree for another. Does the time stop? It has too. None of us ever seen a tree fall all by it self. So, if it stops, does the timer restart when the player or another player starts chopping again. Noooo. If so then we could just go back and forth between trees and they would never fall, because we keep resetting the timer. So then, we could create a variable to hold the current time left. But then we get back to the first issue with wasting memory.

That leaves one final option. A very simple method. Random number. I will try to explain this the best I can. In object oriented programming objects are made and used over and over again. So most likely there is only one actual tree in runescape. And this one tree is just used over and over again just with different values representing the different types of trees.

a rough example of what the object tree looks like. I don't know java so i don't know what the actual code would look like.

Example:

CODE

Tree;

tree coordinates = ?

lvl needed to cut = ?

image = ? <---the image it uses to identify to use what tree it is

get log if get number = 10,20

knock down tree if get number = 15, 25, 35

so on....

So when programming the mage trees north west of ledgends guild

now we need to call the object tree say its named "Tree()"

looks something like this:

Tree(1234,5677; 75; magic_color; return number)

'Tree' calls the object into existence, the '1234,5677' is the coordinates of the tree(where to place it), '75' would be the lvl needed to cut it, 'magic_color' of course would be the image used for what kind of tree it is, and lastly the most important 'return number'

Return number is the number the tree receives from a player when its being chopped. Where does this number come from? Probably the axe you are using , seeing how different axes give you a different chopping rate.

To put this a plainly as I can and not to go on forever trying to explain every detail, try to think of chopping like a game of dice. You walk up to a tree and start cutting. Every chop you roll a 50 sided dice.(Remember I just guessing at these numbers. I could never know what the real values are without looking at the source code.) If the dice, following the example above, lands on a 10 or 20then the tree gives up a log. If you land on a 15,25, or 35 then get a log and knock down the tree. If you hit any other number nothing happens you keep on chopping.

Yes there is even one in there for the bird nest but even more rarer.

Btw, real quick, when you hear a crunching sound and u get a log right before a tree falls you are the one that rolled the unlucky number and knock the tree down. The lower your lvl the higher the chance of hitting that unlucky number.

All this leads me to my main point. How can me shearing a tree with another player make me get logs slower when the tree is interacting with us individually. The only ways if affects you is is when have have more than one person on a single tree the chance of that tree getting knock down sooner is more. This is because you have not one dice rolling for that unlucky number but multiple dices at once. Sense you don't get logs any faster whether you are shearing a tree or not you might as well all shear the same tree.

This is it!! How I get logs faster!!

What happens if everyone shears the same tree? Well, in the long run you get more logs per hour which means more xp and cash per hour. Why is this you say?

Well if we have 4 trees. 10 people cutting on 4 trees. All 10 people cut on tree number 1. After 20 secs it falls. Everyone moves to tree 2. It falls after 60 sec. Now on to tree 3 everyone goes. It falls after only 10 sec. Now last tree number 4. It last 45 sec. On no last trees gone, but wait , whats this enough time has passed for the number 1 tree to grow back. "Everyone to tree 1!" And so the process is repeated. Not that I'm saying you will never run out of trees, but with this method it happens a lot less. And. I mean A LOT less. Trust me most of the time at least 3 trees stay standing at all times.

Finally, a last few common misconceptions about wcing.

This one is only a rumor but from what I've seen it seems to be true, but could just as well not be. Others disagree, though. The rumor is that all trees except magic trees give a higher cut rate the higher the lvl you are. Meaning the higher your lvl the better you chances of hitting the lucky number more often that gets you a log. So, the rumor is that magic trees are the exception. As I lvled my way closer to 99 I too have noticed no change in my logs per hour consumption. Although, yew logs come at a considerably higher rate. So, from lvl 75 to lvl 99 you get virtually the same cut rate. I say virtually because I believe if there is an increase, it is so small it couldn't be more than 5 logs more per hour.

Which leads me to the last

Some seem to think that the cut rate is the same for a dragon hatchet verses a rune hatchet. This seems to be true, but it of course is not. With my tests I get virtually the same amount of logs per hour for each type. Strange, I know, but true. But this is False according to this:

Note: The better the quality of your Woodcutting hatchet or machete, the quicker you will be able to cut logs from trees, this also applies to the dragon hatchet, which has a faster Woodcutting speed than rune hatchets.

Source.

Thank you mister_moocky.

Now it's up to you my fellow runescapians, Go out and spread the good news to all non believers. And I say to you, blessings of an abundance of logs will come you way.

Everyone help spread the word!!!!

Thank you for your time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

No. Just, no.

Also.

Hello RuneHQ.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Edit: I actually read it. Rumors are stupid. Common logic is best. You say Rune axe = Dragon hatchet through your "testing." Again, you're doing it wrong.

Edit2: Logic flaw - You say that if all the people united and cut the same tree, you would cut faster because the tree would respawn in time. You could easily cut the tree by yourself, and you would NEVER run out of trees. And second, how are 10 people going to cut the same tree? People like to go to deserted trees.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Hello RuneHQ.

Stopped reading right about here.

And TL;DR

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

People always so quick to judge. Finish it, then you have a right to say something. About the Runehq I posted it there to I want this to get around so ppl will learn the truth and help everyone. I just forgot to change that part. Jeez its not like a guides hasn't been posted on more than one forum before. I hate flamers like you all. You get a high post count and that make you some kinda god that knows all!!

This should go in the guides section btw.

sry I didn't see a guides section. Mod, move it if you like.

People always so quick to judge. Finish it, then you have a right to say something. About the Runehq I posted it there to I want this to get around so ppl will learn the truth and help everyone. I just forgot to change that part. Jeez its not like a guides hasn't been posted on more than one forum before. I hate flamers like you all. You get a high post count and that make you some kinda god that knows all!!

This should go in the guides section btw.

sry I didn't see a guides section. Mod, move it if you like.

I read the whole thing...

inuyashakent-2.png

No. Just, no.

Also.

Hello RuneHQ.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Edit: I actually read it. Rumors are stupid. Common logic is best. You say Rune axe = Dragon hatchet through your "testing." Again, you're doing it wrong.

Edit2: Logic flaw - You say that if all the people united and cut the same tree, you would cut faster because the tree would respawn in time. You could easily cut the tree by yourself, and you would NEVER run out of trees. And second, how are 10 people going to cut the same tree? People like to go to deserted trees.

1st the whole first half of the guide is logic man are you blind!! The 'opinion' pant is not till the end.

2nd I said it "seems" to be true. I chopped about 300 logs every night in 3 hours and I always seem to chop around the same amount with rune and dragon

3rd I know people like to go to deserted that why I made this guide because that is the flawed logic.

4th what do you mean by this "You could easily cut the tree by yourself, and you would NEVER run out of trees."

Not when 10 ppl are at only 4 trees. There is no all by ur self. So cut togeather to preserver other trees later because I proved cutting be your self dont get you logs faster.

1st the whole first half of the guide is logic man are you blind!! The 'opinion' pant is not till the end. So... you used logic to figure out that trees give a random # of logs? That's common sense... If your only logic in this guide is common sense, then stop arguing.

2nd I said it "seems" to be true. I chopped about 300 logs every night in 3 hours and I always seem to chop around the same amount with rune and dragon Lack of testing.

3rd I know people like to go to deserted that why I made this guide because that is the flawed logic. Not flawed logic, uninformed. Plus, convincing the masses of runescape is IMPOSSIBLE.

4th what do you mean by this "You could easily cut the tree by yourself, and you would NEVER run out of trees."

Not when 10 ppl are at only 4 trees. There is no all by ur self. So cut togeather to preserver other trees later because I proved cutting be your self dont get you logs faster. Here's the biggest problem with your logic. You ASSUME the tree will be back the time the group cuts every tree. This. is. not. the. case.

inuyashakent-2.png

1st the whole first half of the guide is logic man are you blind!! The 'opinion' pant is not till the end. So... you used logic to figure out that trees give a random # of logs? That's common sense... If your only logic in this guide is common sense, then stop arguing.

2nd I said it "seems" to be true. I chopped about 300 logs every night in 3 hours and I always seem to chop around the same amount with rune and dragon Lack of testing.

3rd I know people like to go to deserted that why I made this guide because that is the flawed logic. Not flawed logic, uninformed. Plus, convincing the masses of runescape is IMPOSSIBLE.

Not when 10 ppl are at only 4 trees. There is no all by ur self. So cut togeather to preserver other trees later because I proved cutting be your self dont get you logs faster. Here's the biggest problem with your logic. You ASSUME the tree will be back the time the group cuts every tree. This. is. not. the. case.

One word

pessimistic

Oh and I stated it don't work all the time but it does most of the time. Just depends how many dice you have rolling(players chopping) But even half the time is better and more xp and more money. Enough ppl start doing it, it could get popular and move around enough to make a difference.

lack of test from lvl 75 to 96 is lack of testing.

Jagex conspiracy!!!! Dragon axe is the same as the rune axe!!!

No.

Why would Jagex trick its own players (Who pay them money) into thinking that the dragon axe is better?

They wouldn't, it would be completely pointless.

Since I read that I lost all faith in your post. I should get Eagle to check this to see if the programming stuff is true.

2Xeo5.png

Jagex conspiracy!!!! Dragon axe is the same as the rune axe!!!

No.

Why would Jagex trick its own players (Who pay them money) into thinking that the dragon axe is better?

They wouldn't, it would be completely pointless.

Since I read that I lost all faith in your post. I should get Eagle to check this to see if the programming stuff is true.

You know I could be wrong I don't really remember anything about jagex saying it chops wood faster. just that you can use it as a weapon and wcing.

Note: The better the quality of your Woodcutting hatchet or machete, the quicker you will be able to cut logs from trees, this also applies to the dragon hatchet, which has a faster Woodcutting speed than rune hatchets.

Source.

lol thx for the correction. I was only responding to rumors I heard. and is which why I also least know about. It was only wat liitle I've done. Any how, Maybe then it's such a small change it's difficult to notice over 300 log intervals.

Another thing I said is this is a open debate. Not all things are fact. Or proven so, only because we do not have access to the source code.

Oh and yes please do so. there are countless ways of doing things in programming but this was my best guess. And I usually am close. Please though I only added the thing about the rune =dragon and the mage tree having same cut rate for all lvls as a side note. Really just to expand the guide a little. My main point is the way trees operate. This is my first guide ever. I usually stay behind the woodwork but something needs to be done. I'm sick of standing around waiting for trees because of rouge newbs. Cutting a tree all by them self for no reason.

Plus, convincing the masses of runescape is IMPOSSIBLE.

False. Convincing everyone/i] in Runescape? Sure, that's not gonna happen. But raising awareness is totally possible. By posting everywhere that this is how woodcutting works (which it is) more people will tell other people who are chopping with them, who tell other people, and so on. Get the word out there and it can spread, and if it spreads enough it can become common knowledge over time. Teaks used to be relatively unknown. And when I first wrote my woodcutting guide, hardly anyone was talking about eucalyptus.

False. Convincing everyone/i] in Runescape? Sure, that's not gonna happen. But raising awareness is totally possible. By posting everywhere that this is how woodcutting works (which it is) more people will tell other people who are chopping with them, who tell other people, and so on. Get the word out there and it can spread, and if it spreads enough it can become common knowledge over time. Teaks used to be relatively unknown. And when I first wrote my woodcutting guide, hardly anyone was talking about eucalyptus.

Thx you. Totally. I agree I know there will always be stubborn people and people who are ignorant(meaning not aware), But we can increase awareness and maybe one day it become common knowledge. Btw I know the guide ant all that geat but I did the best I can seening hows I con't find no one else doing it. If someone can make a better one please go right ahead . My goal in this is to make wcing more profitable for everyone.

You know a thought though. Say I succed and one day everyone can get more logs by this. It would inevitably drive the price down on logs. Supply and demand. Greater supply, less the demand, less cost. But as log as I reach 99 wcing first. I can care less becasue later i will need to buy logs and they will be cheaper. muhahahahaaa

This one is only a rumor but from what I've seen it seems to be true. All trees except magic trees give a higher cut rate the higher the lvl you are.

I cut from ~80 - 99 WC on mage logs. Although they are still slow at 99, they are faster than that lower levels. I've had a mate cut with me for a fair bit of the time I was going for 99 [he was roughly 10 or so levels lower], and usually I'd have a full bag of logs while he was still 3-5 short. ;)

EDIT: Sorted the quote, not really a massive poster lol

EDIT2: Or not...

This is more of a technique that benefits you and your peers slightly. Teaks is all about benefiting yourself. Runescapians tend to shy away from things that barely benefit themselves.

Secondly, this is too confusing for most 8 year olds.

inuyashakent-2.png

Secondly, this is too confusing for most 8 year olds.

IDK. It was a 9 yr old that counterfeited the first 100 dollar bill. Don't underestimate how smart kids really are. Beside its up to the one that can understand it to break it down for the ones that can't

It's still faster to cut tree by yourself since there's a lower chance of you cutting the tree down, thus more time actually cutting the tree and less time waiting for the tree to respawn.

If I'm cutting with 5 other people we'll make the tree drop in seconds, giving me fewer "chops" to give me the chance of getting logs, if I'm cutting by myself I'll cut the tree down slower and I'll have more chances to get logs through the "chops".

It's still faster to cut tree by yourself since there's a lower chance of you cutting the tree down, thus more time actually cutting the tree and less time waiting for the tree to respawn.

If I'm cutting with 5 other people we'll make the tree drop in seconds, giving me fewer "chops" to give me the chance of getting logs, if I'm cutting by myself I'll cut the tree down slower and I'll have more chances to get logs through the "chops".

No, this is exactly the myth this topic is trying to dispel. That's simply not how it works.

OMG!! where do you get this backwards thinking. Yes I agree, if you chop by ur self, the chance of you have to move are less but whats 3 sec of not chopping to go to another tree. Than 45 to 2 min waiting for some to grow back because everyone spread out and knock all down at once.

I don't have many things I'm good at but there is one skill I have and I'm very good at it. I'm kinda like Syler on Heroes. I can look at things and figure them out. I've always had this skill and its only gotten better as I learned to use it.

You've automatically lost my interest in the first paragraph, you should probably read "How to win friends and influence people" it could teach you a thing or two about dealing with people, and how to get them round to your way of thinking. Also, most of your guide is plain logic that a lot of people, and not just "programmers" know; I have very basic programming and java knowledge and at the moment I'm finishing my gcse's yet I could tell you what you've told everyone in your guide.

A common reason why people do woodcutting is the afk'ing advantages; if the tree is cut down too fast (despite what you might think that it doesn't get chopped down too fast, in my experience it does), it means more clicking, therefore losing it's afk'ing advantage. Oh, and you're forgetting about the amount of people in the world; I can't find the source but Jagex once said that the amount of people in a world affects respawn points, how quickly fishing spots move and how quickly trees spawn again, therefore you may have to think about the "never running out of trees" quote.

Overall, this guide is filled with yourself trying to be superior to the common runescapian, which is DEFINETLY not going to get you good ratings. My opinion.

Source.

lol thx for the correction. I was only responding to rumors I heard. and is which why I also least know about. It was only wat liitle I've done. Any how, Maybe then it's such a small change it's difficult to notice over 300 log intervals.

Another thing I said is this is a open debate. Not all things are fact. Or proven so, only because we do not have access to the source code.

Hang on.... you're trying to give rumours and guesswork as empirical evidence and directly contradict the few people who know for certain exactly how the Dragon Hatchet is programmed (i.e. JaGEx)? I don't think that, taking 300 as your test sample, you have any basis for making the suggestions that you've made. I deliberately avoid putting smileys into my posts, but imagine 'frustrated'. You just can't test *anything* on that small a sample size, and assuming that you can is arrogant.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png