Mechscape combat system: Your thoughts.

Skull

What do you guys think the mechscape combat system is going to be like? A simple point, click, and wait system like runescape; a more in depth system like WoW; or something new all together? Also feel free to discuss anything that inherently goes with combat, like what happens upon death or how healing will come into play.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I kinda like the current click and wait, but I have a feeling Jagex will switch to a more wow themed fighting system for Mechscape. Most people who you talk to will tell you that the reason they hate runescape is the click and wait, no switching attacks or so, so I think Jagex will switch to the wow version of fighting.

2eed07l.png

Tip.It's Official Undercover Agent

Personally I prefer being able to afk a little, so I can be productive (or not so much) with work while playing. Now since we can assume that it will be more combat base than RuneScape, I am hoping that some part of it will be click and wait, at least.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

whatever it is, i hope it allows for the individual skill of the player (reflexes, adaptive thinking, coordination) to have some sort of significant impact in a fight, rather than click, wait, switch weapons

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

The Runescape combat system, turn-based, is out-dated and isn't modern. It's on the low scale of preferred combat type methods. Just go look at MMoRPG, or MMOsite and you'll see the mood towards combat systems in either the news archives or on the forums.

I'll be kind of disappointed in Jagex if they still use a turn-based system, which won't attract the older audience they want.

If their goal is the older audience combat has to rely on personal skill and skill within the game. The levelling system they've talked about lightly better not intrude on the combat system too much to give advantages/disadvantages to those that nolife, or just get lucky, or they have no control over their combat except through the levels which are pre-defined anyways.

Hopefully one of the ways this game is unique is through the combat system. I'm not expecting a revolutionary combat system, but I am thinking that Jagex will figure out a way to combine turn-based and combo based combat...but even then it doesn't sound too appealing.

If I want to be a total fanboy of Jagex and not think critically, then I'd be hoping for a cross between Age of Conan's combat and DarkFall's combat with improvements to each combat system if you're familiar with either.

I am hoping for something similar to a first person shooter. I want to be able to use cover, have strategy and tactics count as much, if not more than a combat level and stats, and special weapons that perform a specific job like lowering enemy shields or shorting out equipment. Oh, and sniper rifles would be nice- and to have a good reason to chose to be a foot soldier VS piloting a Mech or other war machine. The game would be allot funner if it deviates away from the click and wait combat system in use for most MMO's. Something like Planetside's combat system would be a major improvement.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

A first person shooter MMO, that would be awesome. Unfortunately I can't really see it happening :(

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

A first person shooter MMO, that would be awesome. Unfortunately I can't really see it happening :(

It can be quite annoying to be honest.

Though I do prefer first-person view than any other perspective. I would hope we could choose between the two without altering gameplay that much, like peaking around corners in third-person like failures. : )