Tip.It Times: 31 May 2009

n_odie

The fiction article I didn;t read because I never do, mainly because I find them quite weak and drivel-like and I can't be assed with them in general (But I'm a literature student and writer so odds of getting high priase from me on fiction is like 1 in ten million lol)

Hm. I wonder how you manage to find them "weak and drivel-like" if you never read them.

One of our authors (Zonorhc) is an English major. I plan on majoring in English/literature/related myself. Believe me when I say that we would not publish anything that was mere idle fan fiction. That is not to say you should expect something life-changing, but drivel? I take offense at that. At least read it first. I would happily engage in a discussion over an honest opinion formed from reading the material.

To hawkxs, this week's is 1166 words. So your average of 1000 is about right. We can definitely try to extend the length a bit. No guarantees though.

=D> Well spotted! :-)

As for your earlier response to my post, I have no preference on length at all. Personally if something is well written and entertaining I will read it whether it be 500 or 5000 words! In terms of encouraging people to read it, I think perhaps people are becoming jaded by the inconsistent non-fiction posts which increasingly frustrate many readers. As a result, reading poorly written non-fiction articles may be leading some to believe that the fiction articles can only be worse. It is a shame, but I suspect there is not a lot you can do about it except continue writing to your personal high standards (there have been some poor quality fiction articles, but I have so far enjoyed yours).

That being said, I think the length of article you have been writing is good, but don't be afraid of extending them if you feel it is appropriate. If people don't read them anyway it won't affect them, whilst readers like myself would enjoy the greater detail.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree strongly with one of the points in "The Runescape Me". So you say magic is weak AND so it doesn't deserve an update? Just because some suckers can High Alch their way to 99, does that mean that 99 mage = stupid and because its so easy to train mage, mage doesn't deserve an update.

Let me tell you this: NO

Mage does deserve an update, regardless of how easy to train it. I could argue the same point for your beloved melee. All meleers do is afk training, so melee is easy to train = doesn't deserve updates? And btw, mage isn't easy to train. It costs a LOT of money to do it, far more than melee. So cut the crap. Mage does deserve an update. I'm not whining for an update immediately, or a perfect update. I want a good update to mage. Not any crappy stuff like FoG armor and other rubbish. Better spells for f2p.

Sorry, but if you make a ridiculously stupid comment like that I WILL shoot your argument down in flames.

Mage does need updates, sure, I'll take your point there. I find it overly expensive for what it gives, even on ancients.

However, if you think "all meleers do is afk training" you're frankly a buffoon. I have 99 defence, 91 attack, 85 strength, 94 hitpoints... Oh, and did I mention 85 slayer? Hmm... shocking that NONE of my levels were obtained by afking, pest control or soul wars... In fact, I trained to 100 combat on f2p, where it is (to my knowledge anyway) virtually impossible to afk safely... I know a good many players with fully maxed combat skills, none of whom afked their levels... Yes, it's true that some people spend their time at armoured zombies/desert bandits etc with a bunyip, not looking at the screen at all, but that is not the only way people train melee skills.

If you don't want me to slate your argument, don't make it such a rubbish one. Mage needs an update, yes, but you have no idea if that's what you think about melee.

I agree on how much people can whine about every single thing. I also, like you, don't see why there is a need for food that heals 30hp or an ubergodsword that hits 70. Where's the fun in playing Runescape if everything becomes too easy?

I myself love doing quests, when I was member and had to do a hard quest, yea, I sometimes wished for superfood but then again victory was all the more satisfactory!

Runescape doesn't need to make new mini-games and whatevers but, indeed, just improve the ones that already exist. Runescape rocks all of my socks and I don't see why people whine, it's an awesome game and remember, we play for the fun of it! (Well, atleast I do [RS <3:] )

Contagiouz.png

Only read the first one, and it was very well written, i agree with pretty much all of it. the one thing i complain about in range is the crazy prices for the highest level arrows/bolts. 2.5k per dragon arrow? jeez. just buying 1k arrows costs over twice of what you paid for the bow.

people wil always complain about something, and jagex will never, ever be able to please everyone.

l_f9faeb8497d4422f960573321c8fec9d.jpg

Darwin's Radio, stairway to stardom 2009

i liked this weeks article. i for one ignore people that complain, because its useless. if i see a quest/item/etc that is above my skill level, I won't do it because I don't like training that certain skill. I won't complain, I just move on and continue on with my runescape life.

329.png

i liked this weeks article. i for one ignore people that complain, because its useless. if i see a quest/item/etc that is above my skill level, I won't do it because I don't like training that certain skill. I won't complain, I just move on and continue on with my runescape life.

How ironic then that you enjoyed an article that was in essence just one long complaint... :P

First Article, bravo. :thumbsup:

A good three quarters of the player base simply need to shut up.

And you justify this comment how exactly? Surely if your opinions were so irrefutably correct then you wouldn't be part of the minority?

I'm frankly surprised and appalled by the closed-minded comments of many of the posters on this forum topic. I personally think that diverse opinions are an excellent thing, so I can't understand why people are instead concerning themselves with a kind of "I'm right, everyone else is wrong, so there" type approach. Aside from anything else it shows immaturity and intolerance. If you disagree with someone, explain it. If you are capable of writing a logical and well-reasoned argument against a certain point then people may take note and eventually agree. Ridiculous comments like Forerunner's above achieve precisely sod all.

And you justify this comment how exactly? Surely if your opinions were so irrefutably correct then you wouldn't be part of the minority?

Oh dear, I've startled somebody.

Ever heard of a hyperbole? (& I'm sure you were aware of the fact that I was exaggerating.)

Of course I don't enforce my comment in a literal sense, but has this become a place where I have to explain every single little detail of my input, just so people don't find it necessary to use me as an example of something they don't support? I'll pass.

I personally think that diverse opinions are an excellent thing, so I can't understand why people are instead concerning themselves with a kind of "I'm right, everyone else is wrong, so there" type approach.

It's extremely obvious that I support the article, & I use it as a justification for what I post in this topic; so I don't understand why you would lead yourself to believe that I'm using a "I'm right..etc." approach.

Would you prefer if I just quote the article itself & say "there"?

Aside from anything else it shows immaturity and intolerance. If you disagree with someone, explain it. If you are capable of writing a logical and well-reasoned argument against a certain point then people may take note and eventually agree. Ridiculous comments like Forerunner's above achieve precisely sod all.

In this case, I don't need an argument as I'm not disagreeing with anybody. As I've implied before, I agree with almost all of the contents in the article, it sums up my thoughts. If somebody wants to see what my argument would be like, they can go read the article & be well on their way.

Do you think I'm going to put up an argument (when one is already supplied) just so certain people don't label me as immature or unintelligent? No thanks. Common sense indicates that I don't need the argument.

My comment wasn't directed at a person just because I didn't like what they said (that's immaturity), it was directed at the article because I enjoyed it.

I'm sorry I can't fit into your cyber utopia where argument for arguments' sake is supported & a simple comment can't be taken lightly. I know your argument wasn't directed at me, but the second you start labelling someone you know absolutely NOTHING about, you've gone a step too far.

I suppose you wont let this go, but I'm not a big fan of little squabbles over message boards. So say what you must & quote me however you like, but I have justified myself enough & I'm not in the mood for people constantly quoting me & risking a flame war.

I'm going to do the mature thing & leave this to (hopefully) die.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

@ the topic "the runescape me"

There are two kinds of rants, and really, only two, there are the rants about updates (like you said) and then there the rants that come from people COMPLAINING about those rants.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

Hey everyone,

I have been using Tip.It for as long as I can remember and i find all the articles are written very well and always seem to hit hit core issues head on. This article especially I thought was so true, too many people whine and complain about our day to day runescape lives. Personally I give Jagex tremendous respect for having to put up with all of our garbage and still produce an amazing game. Personally, I feel we don't really need more "super weapons" to out-hit the godswords and other sweet weapons. For further updates I would rather see things such as: more slayer monsters, more prayers, more challenging clue scrolls etc than just combat updates. Now this is coming from someone whose whole runescape experience is based on combat(99 att str def and hp) to train slayer as fast and as effectively as possible. So all I'm saying is kudos on a well written article and we should all pull together to get some varied updates. And most importantly, we should ease up on the complaining and whining because Jagex works very hard to make this game run smoothely and effectively.

Hey everyone,

I have been using Tip.It for as long as I can remember and i find all the articles are written very well and always seem to hit hit core issues head on. This article especially I thought was so true, too many people whine and complain about our day to day runescape lives. Personally I give Jagex tremendous respect for having to put up with all of our garbage and still produce an amazing game. Personally, I feel we don't really need more "super weapons" to out-hit the godswords and other sweet weapons. For further updates I would rather see things such as: more slayer monsters, more prayers, more challenging clue scrolls etc than just combat updates. Now this is coming from someone whose whole runescape experience is based on combat(99 att str def and hp) to train slayer as fast and as effectively as possible. So all I'm saying is kudos on a well written article and we should all pull together to get some varied updates. And most importantly, we should ease up on the complaining and whining because Jagex works very hard to make this game run smoothely and effectively.

:thumbup:

Well said. Enjoy your stay.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.