Tip.It Times: 31 May 2009

n_odie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good read, although the first one looks like a bit of a rant:p

My opinion on it is that godswords are a bad move on the part of jagex, because

1 they are so powerful they can (almost?) 1-hit KO someone, and i don't think weapons should do that no matter what

2 some ppl, idk how many, just keep wanting more and more. like with the g mace, it was only for lower lvl's cuz it doesn't hit higher then older weapons?

These 2 combined is dangerous in my eyes, because eventually if jagex wants to make players happy (and they say they do) then they would have to make even more weapons that are even more powerful.

As for the quests. I have my quest cape, but i do enjoy lower quests with a funny storyline more then the harder ones. cold war being my favourite (durrrrr)

And btw, i'm not trying to flame jagex like RSOF ranters do. Just saying what I notice...

~Prozac~

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

first article:

agree on every single word. he couldn't say it any better.

second article:

he cleared his point, thought i found that article abit boring...

fictional - meh -.-

my 2 cents.

want_a_box.png

hey whatsup, people? this is greecl posting. i thought that the articles were all a little boring and brief this week. dont know why we cant go back to that rat pit storyline, that was awesome, this current fantasy thing is rather boring.. :( but oh well. and now for a great quote i made earlier:

greecl: life is like a humminbird; it goes by really fast and drains all the sweet stuff out of flowers.

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

The first article was "nice": though the topic has been talked about so many times that it honestly isn't really anything new and I would've prefered it if a "times" didn't try to touch it...

The second article had an interesting "start" (fall of tip.it) - However the rest of the article more or less seemed just a "faq about the forums": nothing spectacular and very brief - Making the whole article missing the needed "line" to be a good read and becoming dull/stretched.

As for the actual content: about article 1:

You forgot 1 group: the "doomsayers", those who test the things but always keep fearing/shouting the most negative possibility there is (for them). Especially with the major updates like wildy removal/trade restriction: and basically all major gameplay-related updates you see them rising to the surface.. (I think I often am guilty for that btw).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Unlike other people, I actually liked these articles, mostly because they are what I agree with. Yes, they were short, but the first two articles talked things that many people knew about, but never talked about.

Also, I didn't even know we had Mechscape Disscussions :P .

22031_s.gif

Also, I didn't even know we had Mechscape Disscussions :P .

Aw.. Tis on the Global Announcements. I do agree, I read the first article, which was a well put together rant. I liked it. Agreed with it. Did it deserve it's own Times article, who's to say. The second article, began to read, finished by skimming it. I'm sure I would have agreed with it had I read it :thumbsup: . Didn't bother with the last.

I have to agree with the first article totally though my opinion is a little less subtle: stop [bleep]ing whining you stupid [bleep]ing idiots. ::'

As for the second article I actually go on a wider variety of forums. Off Topic and here are my most common but I go into The Gallery and the new Mechscape forums quite a bit too.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

First article is a dumb subject in my opinion.

People need to stop focusing on what this update meant to me; rather, focus on what this update means to all the players of RuneScape!

First of all I think this is a silly quote, you're playing a game which you pay for, you expect it to be entertaining. If I don't like the way they're developing the game I like to play then why can't I say that? If I don't like a quest or a new item, then why can't I post about it on the forums? Doesn't a company need feedback from its costumers, especially if the product is as interactive as RuneScape? Surely the connection must exist and be used if this game is to develop and flourish.

Why should I care about John Doe next door liking the little cactus he can now place next to his pet basket in his POH if I don't even train construction? It makes no sense telling me to shut up and take every update. 'I quite dislike cheesechips myself, whish they had picked a different kind for this party..' 'Shut up, think about how that guy over there likes the chips.' 'O right, sorry, silly me.'

Your frustration seem to lie in HOW they state their opinion instead of the fact THAT they state their opinion. Yes, the general level of grammar and argumentation could be quite a bit higher and still be average level. If this is the case then I agree but you should've written a different article, if not then I think you wrote a stupid article whining about whiners.

I liked how 'The RuneScape Me' and 'Over the Blogs and Far Away...' seemed to sort of tie in with each other (how both are saying,in a way, to stop complaining and do something [at least the second one did]).

Fictional article was meh. Would have liked a longer one.

First of all I think this is a silly quote, you're playing a game which you pay for, you expect it to be entertaining. If I don't like the way they're developing the game I like to play then why can't I say that? If I don't like a quest or a new item, then why can't I post about it on the forums? Doesn't a company need feedback from its costumers, especially if the product is as interactive as RuneScape? Surely the connection must exist and be used if this game is to develop and flourish.

Why should I care about John Doe next door liking the little cactus he can now place next to his pet basket in his POH if I don't even train construction? It makes no sense telling me to shut up and take every update. 'I quite dislike cheesechips myself, whish they had picked a different kind for this party..' 'Shut up, think about how that guy over there likes the chips.' 'O right, sorry, silly me.'

Your frustration seem to lie in HOW they state their opinion instead of the fact THAT they state their opinion. Yes, the general level of grammar and argumentation could be quite a bit higher and still be average level. If this is the case then I agree but you should've written a different article, if not then I think you wrote a stupid article whining about whiners.

I do pay for the game, so do you, I pay 5 dollars a month, Like millions of others do, for math purposes lets assume a meager 1 million people pay. That means your view is .000001 percent of the games. Sure others may share it, but you alone are a small fly as I am and many players act as jagex is out to get them. Personal desires are always nice, but many people forget the scope of updates. To be blunt and pretty much on my point, pardon me being offensive, but I wrote the article with posts like yours in my mind. Players often think they are better than the community as a collective, and often use, but I pay $5 a month! I'm a customer, yeah you and millions of others and the people who typically enjoy the updates, dont rush to post, but the whiners do, making people form a pre-judged view of the update before they ever try it. Have I ever agreed with every update? Nope, and I'm sure some update this year will piss me off beyond belief, however i'm not naive and foolish to think my $5 gives me any sort of entitlement to make my desires any more valuable as a customer because I subscribe to the the game. A top 10 mmo with the lowest cost of any of the top 10. I feel I get my $5 out of the game as is, updates or not. .

Answer me this and be honest.

If you pay $5 a month for 3 months, as a customer is your money worth the same or less as the 2-5 year long member?

BAH!

Curmudgeon, I'm afraid I dislike your article. Yes I can perfectly well see your point of view, and in many cases share it. But just as you seem to be bashing people for whining, you yourself are basically trying to assert your view on them. At best your comments (this in particular regarding your posts on this forum) are belittling towards those who seek to argue with you, which I have to say is a counter-productive approach.

People will always hate Jagex updates, just as many will love them. You may love the short quest, many people don't, and no it isn't just because they like a pretty cape that they feel inadequate about. Personally I want a quest to be hard enough that the reward can justify the time spent on it, for example. You must also bear in mind that your own suggestions, as good as they are, are also borne out of frustration. Be wary of the generalised derogatory comments you make, because too many of them are wide of the mark and can turn even reasonable people against you.

Consumers ALWAYS have a right to complain and attempt to make their voices heard. The fact that many Runescapers these days are young and immature does not automatically mean they should shut up and accept what they don't like. I just won't respect them if they go about their complaints in the wrong way. Goebbels once said: "All it takes for bad men to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Jagex are not the Nazi party, that's true enough, but if their consumers don't tell them what they want then how will they ever meet our demands? I suspect you, like me, are more frustrated by the immature flamings with OMG NOOB, JAGEX FTL, I HATE JAGEX kind of complaints than the fact that people are complaining. A rational argument is at least interesting on an intellectual level!

All that said, I agree and wish people would stop flaming everything Jagex do without giving it a chance. I think that much of what they do these days is straying too far from the tried and tested successes of previous years, but I hope people can develop the patience and interest to give things a chance. New questline on Mahjarrat for example could be a corker at its later stages!

My opinion on it is that godswords are a bad move on the part of jagex, because

1 they are so powerful they can (almost?) 1-hit KO someone, and i don't think weapons should do that no matter what

2 some ppl, idk how many, just keep wanting more and more. like with the g mace, it was only for lower lvl's cuz it doesn't hit higher then older weapons?

Obvious solution to me would be make a very accurate weapon that's very slightly weaker than some of the favourite weapons like whip. I'd love a weapon that was almost guaranteed to hit, even if the max was only 25 instead of 35.

Alternatively, a weapon that offered decent attacking stats but also offering substantial defence - would appeal to tankers and those with low defence. Takes away the need for it to be more powerful than existing weapons, but still makes them useful.

Godswords do not really interest me from a pvp standpoint as I don't pk, but for example I love the SGS for certain slayer tasks. They're not all bad, Jagex just need to think carefully about the updates they release in future.

As for the other articles:

Hawkxs: I enjoyed this, not because I wish to indulge in any of the listed activities, or indeed because I'm especially worried about Tip.It collapsing (though I won't stop writing scathing reviews where required!), but because it quite simply said what there is out there to do. I recently entered a very friendly clan through a guy I met whilst slaying, and it opened up a great new side to the community aspect of Runescape, which honestly is the main reason I still play. Thus I appreciate anything that could open up a similar experience for others.

NOM_ANOR:

Not bad, unconvinced by the torture aspect as one would safely assume Roshea knows more than Cassie, but hey it is your story after all! Just curious as to where the rebellion has suddenly sprung from... I realise the stories are linked to previous runs of the fiction article, but details about key parts seem to be missing...

I was just wondering, for those of you who thought 'Over the Blogs' not particularly informative (or rather that it could have used more about each forum), would you read an article about an individual forum?... I think it would be pretty interesting.

NOM_ANOR:

Not bad, unconvinced by the torture aspect as one would safely assume Roshea knows more than Cassie, but hey it is your story after all! Just curious as to where the rebellion has suddenly sprung from... I realise the stories are linked to previous runs of the fiction article, but details about key parts seem to be missing...

Due to my own mistake I missed a week's installment (the Obama interview was published instead) and therefore I was crunching this week's a bit since it's the last day of the month and a new author will take over for June.

The rebellion has a bit of a backstory in that Jarrah was spreading his suspicions around to others--many more than those who escaped from the raid, and that attack basically set things off. I probably should have spent more time on that aspect, but I sort dropped the ball with the missed week.

The general consensus of the fictional seems to be either "LOL didn't read it" or that it should be longer. As a general question to those who do read it, what sort of length do you prefer?

p2gq.jpg

edit: I just read your response to another poster, and I think I understand a little better. You are targeting those who insist the game be shaped to their whims, not players who simply explain their dissatisfaction?

New weapons, I see it every time a weapon comes out. This weapon is for low levels, it isnt good for pking, I dont think I will use it! Seriously, do we need something to outhit a godsword or dragon claws? Do people fail to realize we only have 99 hp?

Why not use the same argument for the mid/low-level weapons introduced? Do we really need more weapons that most people won't use? When Slayer came out, it introduced the whip, and that became the prime choice of weapons at least until GWD was released. Why? Because there were virtually no options for high-level players beyond 70 stats. As far as hitting too hard for ko's, I feel it's more of a flaw in how defense is calculated. I believe armor should affect how hard you're hit while defense level should affect how often you're hit. But why do players want new high-level weapons? Because as far as choices go, they get pretty slim at the top.

People whined, yet, the power and benefit of crossbows, enchanted bolts, and the power of the dark bow seemed to quickly be forgotten.

Yeah, after the first couple of months after the new crossbows were introduced, Jagex was wondering why nobody was using them. Because players saw them as too expensive and about as effective as a magic shortbow. So what did Jagex do? They increased the strength and accuracy of the bolts to make them more desirable, and presto! Players started using them.

With all these high hitting weapons, why not new foods that heal 30-40+ in one click? Why don't we want more updates to skills like Firemaking or Prayer? The player community wants more mini games, but doesnt give second thought about fixing current, good mini-games like Trouble Brewing.

People have been clamoring for new uses in Firemaking and Prayer, as well as other skills, for years. That's why we got the Beacon Lighting Minigame. Food could be a different story. Remember that we aren't all PKers 100% of the time. 40 healing food means players could last even longer in boss fights, slayer tasks, etc.. That would probably depend on the cost and availability of the new food. I wouldn't mind seeing new food though.

The players that actually play Trouble Brewing have been asking for improvements. That players that don't play it want something else. It's a bit selfish as you imply, but I want a functional game that I enjoy, not you. Same as everybody else really.

If you have a hard time finding anybody actually playing a mini-game, or actually equipping a new, "junk" item, then what does that mean for Runescape? Why should low-level players have a broader choice of equipment? Are you saying I should be considering the needs and wants of low-level players over my own? Consider this then, those low-level players are going to be high-level players someday. What then will the future hold for them?

I do agree that players whine excessively about Jagex updates. It's like a sport to them. It's fun to bash Jagex, and be the snobby, apathetic teen bored out of his mind. Eventually, it becomes the boy who cried wolf, and it makes it difficult for players who feel they have a legitimate complaint to be heard over the dull, throbbing noise in the rants section.

I believe Jagex wants feedback though after every update. Every company worth their salt does. They want to know how their product is being received by their customers. I would even bet that you, CC, check this thread to see how people responded to your article. We all do it. The point is, it's healthy to tell Jagex what you think, but it needs to be done in a fashion that would actually help Jagex find a solution. Instead of complaining about the volume of whiners in the game, we could show them how to better phrase their complaints to make them constructive and worth reading.

rssig2.png

First article...I agree with it, but Oh the Irony. A rant about all the ranters.

Second article is in my opinion a very good idea for casual users of tipit; people who read the articles, use tipit features, but haven't gotten into the forum community. However, for most of the people who actually have an account to post with, it's redundant.

And I'm afraid I don't read fictional articles. In all honestly I'm probably too lazy >_<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I disagree strongly with one of the points in "The Runescape Me". So you say magic is weak AND so it doesn't deserve an update? Just because some suckers can High Alch their way to 99, does that mean that 99 mage = stupid and because its so easy to train mage, mage doesn't deserve an update.

Let me tell you this: NO

Mage does deserve an update, regardless of how easy to train it. I could argue the same point for your beloved melee. All meleers do is afk training, so melee is easy to train = doesn't deserve updates? And btw, mage isn't easy to train. It costs a LOT of money to do it, far more than melee. So cut the crap. Mage does deserve an update. I'm not whining for an update immediately, or a perfect update. I want a good update to mage. Not any crappy stuff like FoG armor and other rubbish. Better spells for f2p.

Definatly better than last weeks. I enjoyed the first article, however I wish the articles were written in formal English, such as saying "one could check out the 'How famous are you topic'" Instead of "you could..."

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Ah, I love a good debate.

Let me address those questions.

Why not use the same argument for the mid/low-level weapons introduced? Do we really need more weapons that most people won't use? When Slayer came out, it introduced the whip, and that became the prime choice of weapons at least until GWD was released. Why? Because there were virtually no options for high-level players beyond 70 stats.

Two reasons, Mid/low level armor serves a use as hopefully, new players will always enter the game increasing the options and keeping the most desired userbase (new blood) occupied. The problems with weapons after 70, is weapons at or below such as godswords and dclaws among whips have set a VERY high standard that anything at this point will either be obscene in terms of damage it deals against other players with 99 HP or just disappointing causing more unreset.

Yeah, after the first couple of months after the new crossbows were introduced, Jagex was wondering why nobody was using them. Because players saw them as too expensive and about as effective as a magic shortbow.
Correct, and the shortbow was and still is a great cheap weapon, however even after the changes, many rangers still complained and moaned when they just got a very powerful and useful upgrade.

It's a bit selfish as you imply, but I want a functional game that I enjoy, not you. Same as everybody else really

Yes, but here is where the balancing comes in, the trawler has received numerous updates in the past years while trouble brewing has seen none. And even when a mini-game is updated, it seems people always are like "mini-game X needs fixing - omg no one plays that" - With total disregard for the fixed mini-game and total unwillingness to give it a shot because they are upset it (update) didn't go to the game the wanted it to go .

If you have a hard time finding anybody actually playing a mini-game, or actually equipping a new, "junk" item, then what does that mean for Runescape?
For the mini-game, I believe it needs revamp, not removal like some people want because they feel its useless.

Why should low-level players have a broader choice of equipment?

They outnumber us, by alot, and low levels are the future of the game.

Are you saying I should be considering the needs and wants of low-level players over my own?

Nope, but I'd say the proportion of lower levels outnumbers the high levels so it's only fair they get a worthy share of the updates.

Consider this then, those low-level players are going to be high-level players someday. What then will the future hold for them?
Self admittingly, I have no clue, as a "high" level, I have had a "bleek" future for a long time as far as choices, but i'm more concerned with skilling over fashion and killing.

I would even bet that you, CC, check this thread to see how people responded to your article.
Much more interested in dissenting views for some forum fun than if it is hailed as a masterpiece or if everyone agrees. My goal is ALWAYS to stir the pot. I enjoy it.

So you say magic is weak AND so it doesn't deserve an update? Just because some suckers can High Alch their way to 99, does that mean that 99 mage = stupid and because its so easy to train mage, mage doesn't deserve an update.

Nope, I was merely pointing out the irony. Most if not all of the skills on this game are easy if you got either the money or the time or the dedication.. However the most popular wau to train magic, is through alching, a non-combat spell. Logically, a wizard who reached his mastery through non combat means, would not be able to be this end all destroyer with combat magic.

3 spellbooks - 1 support based (lunar) , 1 offensive (ancients) and one well balanced (Regular) is PLENTY for a skill. Personally I would love to see a new spellbook with defensive based spells and effects like energy drain and the sort, a more defensive/mess with your opponents type spellbook with mega weakens, abilty to posion, remove players potion effects, drain prayer, energy , teleblock, make you have a damage soaking field..

The game has de-evolved into a distasteful blitz style pvp combat.

However Runescape is not that advanced, but personally No, No combat skill needs the power melee has, (including melee) and if you got the money and technique, Magic is very dangerous in PVP.

BAH!