Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

... i don't know what you mean by dignity,...

:wall:

Thank you for proving that you missed the entire point of my rant. I told myself I wouldn't spell this out to you, but since I'm in a decent mood, we'll do this one last time.

Mining, like Woodcutting and Fishing, is nothing more than a harvesting skill. The point, the raison d'etre for a harvesting skill is to provide a resource to another skill to process. In these instances, we have logs going to Firemaking and/or Fletching, and fish going to Cooking. Ore from Mining is supposed to go to Smithing, but my complaint is that Mithril and Adamant ore are so scarce and hard to get, that there's no point to it. I'm also contending that the skill is the only harvesting skill that is a mandatory grind to level. To solve this, I argue that more ore should come from rocks, that intermediate ores be moved to more convenient locations, and once those two "updates" happen, the third problem of "being a grind" can disappear, since getting the ores would actually be beneficial to both the economy and Smithing once again.

I'm not kidding this time. Go back, read the rant, then make a decent counter-argument. If you can't make the effort to do that, don't waste my time.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all your suggestions would screw up mining.

It would be easier to level, less profit, and the prices of all armor will fall.

Your trying to make it just another version of woodcutting, and its not going to be that.

Mithril and adamant ARE Worth mining, but only alongside coal and other ores, which considering the amount of coal each bar uses, makes perfect sense.

O.O

And all your suggestions would screw up mining.

It would be easier to level, less profit, and the prices of all armor will fall.

Your trying to make it just another version of woodcutting, and its not going to be that.

Mithril and adamant ARE Worth mining, but only alongside coal and other ores, which considering the amount of coal each bar uses, makes perfect sense.

You sir are a fool, you missed the entire point of the post, the idea was not to make the skill EASIER to train, it was to make it more CONVENTIONAL. Right now it is a pain in the trying to collect resources for your higher level smithing endeavors, so all this wonderful man is suggesting is making collecting these resources a little more convenient (such as having rocks with more than one ore, or having rocks placed a reasonable distance from a bank). These would IN NO WAY ruin mining, the skill would not become easier to train, have you tried mining mith and addy? they aren't exactly one hit rocks. YES the xp/h would increase when mining the ores, BUT it would still not compare to that of powermining granite, iron, or even coal.

As for the rune rocks, this change is designed to keep Rune rocks basically the same, but make mining MITH AND ADDY easier, the focus was NEVER to make mining rune any easier, EVER, it was focused at the intermediate ores. Yes the prices for those ores would decrease slightly, but it would eventually stabilize, like everything in the RS economy does, and all will be well.

All I have for now =\

( Oh and hi there Tip.It :3 )

2d0x9oo.jpg

It wouldn't be easier per-se, yes it would be easier to GET TO THE ORES, but it would be no easier to actually MINE them.

I would also like you to explain this to me:

Do you think mining as a skill would become easier to train? if so, how? How would making some MITH AND ADDY ores closer to banks, or giving them more ores per rock make mining AS A SKILL easier?

2d0x9oo.jpg

Allright, il give you a little example.

Basically the best bows in the game, magic bows, cost around 1k right?

The logs cost 1k.

And the strings cost like 150.

The reason its so cheap is because woodcutting is generally easy to get up, and theres multiple logs per tree and loads of people cutting them, so its easy to get. Don't make mining like that, thus making rune prices stupidly cheap.

O.O

Mining sucks for money. Iron is inefficient for money, so is adamant.

Iron ore is brought in by F2Pers, coal by MTK, mithril is ehh.

Then adamant bars are brought in by the masses through Aviansies.

Rune is actually being botted in the Hero's Guild, and isn't decent money.

---

So, it doesn't leave it out of the loop, it's just highly inefficient.

I remember pre-MTK when everyone dreamed of 60 mining to access the guild, so they could earn oodles of money, MTK ruined that, but made smithing easier/cheaper.

Then there is the Stealing Creation thing, it creates less of a demand for bars and subsequently ores, even further denting the market.

Rune is good money, i know plenty of people with 85+ mining and they all think its great money.

Gold mining makes about 50k an hour, sure its inefficient for money, but no skill can be great money the whole way, sucks at the start, good reward at the end as i see it.

O.O

Rune Mining is not good money, most people with high mining usually have lower money making skills so rune mining is their only option. 44 Rc is better money than Rune mining, and don't get me started on this 26Kbs.

WILL YOU PEOPLE SHUT UP ABOUT ORE PRICES DROPPING OR WHATEVER?

Please. Read the rant. People like I and the OP don't give a [bleep] about high leveled players or "ore prices dropping". The point is mining DOES not fulfill its role as a feeder skill for smithing. So cut the crap. If a skill/industry does not fulfill its fundamental role properly, it shouldn't be there in the first place. Mining is for smithing. Ore prices ARE WRONG.

Smithing is incredibly difficult to get up to high levels BECAUSE of mining. Mining mithril/adamant is just TOO slow. All the spots are rare and usually far from banks, if not crowded with people competing for a single rock that provides a stupidly low number of ores. And if I'm not wrong, coal (definitely the most important ore for smiths) takes LONGER to respawn than willow trees (which require the same level in woodcutting) AND only give ONE FREAKING ORE PER ROCK...

Oh?

"Think about all side effects when you make a change"?

What about when Jagex was CREATING the FREAKING SKILL ITSELF?

Re-read the freaking rant before posting crap.

The point is Jagex messed up while creating mining.

And I don't care about what YOU think either.

I don't get how there can be side effects when there is nothing to side effect.

Wasent mining there from the start?

And I don't care about what YOU think either.

Repetition, a lovely argumentative tool.

... :roll: -.-

Side effects don't necessarily have to be on something there before the update IN THIS CASE. It could also be affecting the other skills that were also released on the same date.

On repetition: Its a fact. I really don't care what you think, and yeah, I don't care what you reply to me. :lol:

Anyway, I'm going off now, lets continue the debate tomorrow.

Allright, il give you a little example.

Basically the best bows in the game, magic bows, cost around 1k right?

The logs cost 1k.

And the strings cost like 150.

The reason its so cheap is because woodcutting is generally easy to get up, and theres multiple logs per tree and loads of people cutting them, so its easy to get. Don't make mining like that, thus making rune prices stupidly cheap.

You COMPLETELY MISSED MY POINT, I didn't ask you to use an example, albeit a stupid one. Comparing mining to woodcutting is a stretch in anyone's imagination, you could NEVER make mining like woodcutting, and if you READ THE RANT, you would know this.

Since you CLEARLY don't understand what was being pitched in the rant, I will try to break it down for you:

- Right now, if you wanted to strictly collect intermediate level ores for smithing, you would have to go to remote locations, far removed from banks, and quite tedious to get to.

- Solution, make some of these ores a little more accessible, have more of them grouped together in one space, make it more CONVENIENT for people to obtain

It doesn't even have to be somewhere within walking distance of a bank, you can do something similar to the quarry, good supply of rocks, not within walking distance of a bank, but with a camulet you can tele fairly close to it. The camulet also has to be recharged, so that would require work, and the camulet is a QUEST item, so not just anyone could do it.

Now, you seem to be quite set on the fact that this update will completely ruin rune, so let me try to fix that:

- The rune rocks WON'T be moving

- You will still mine the rune at the same speed as it always has been

- There will be NO more rune rocks brought into the game

- Yes the rocks may have more ores in them, but you will still mine them at the same speed, which is incredibly slow

Now, I will ask you again, if you still believe mining will be ruined, explain to me how you believe that with a few more conveniently placed addy and mith ores, and maybe some deeper rocks will ruin the skill completely, and don't use other skills as examples, it doesn't work.

2d0x9oo.jpg

I think the update that Jagex should introduce is the increase the speed of high lv. miners. Its very annoying when you are keep on being beaten by low level miners, sometimes people of about 55 mining often beats me when i'm mining coal in lumbby swamp(i want the addy ores)! I don't see a reason to rise your mining lv after 85.

22,993th to get 99fm on 20th June 2009

miner1087.png

WILL YOU PEOPLE SHUT UP ABOUT ORE PRICES DROPPING OR WHATEVER?

Please. Read the rant. People like I and the OP don't give a [bleep] about high leveled players or "ore prices dropping". The point is mining DOES not fulfill its role as a feeder skill for smithing. So cut the crap. If a skill/industry does not fulfill its fundamental role properly, it shouldn't be there in the first place. Mining is for smithing. Ore prices ARE WRONG.

Smithing is incredibly difficult to get up to high levels BECAUSE of mining. Mining mithril/adamant is just TOO slow. All the spots are rare and usually far from banks, if not crowded with people competing for a single rock that provides a stupidly low number of ores. And if I'm not wrong, coal (definitely the most important ore for smiths) takes LONGER to respawn than willow trees (which require the same level in woodcutting) AND only give ONE FREAKING ORE PER ROCK...

Thank you for backing me up on this point. Especially the emphasized part. You're one of the folks here that has some semblance of understanding my rant.

Hey quelmotz, i don't care what you care about. You have to take into account all side effects whens you make a change.

HEY IM GONNA MAKE MINING EASIER AND HOPE EVERYTHING STAYS NICE AND HAPPY AND EVERYONES JUMPING AROUND LIKE BUNNYS.

Not going to explain this to you again, if you want to ignore everything that I've ranted about, that's fine; just don't come back and post utter nonsense. I've been polite enough with this. Reread the rant, and do your best to understand where I'm coming from. If you don't understand the point, I've made it as clear as I could on page 3. If you still don't get it, just don't reply.

I think the update that Jagex should introduce is the increase the speed of high lv. miners. Its very annoying when you are keep on being beaten by low level miners, sometimes people of about 55 mining often beats me when i'm mining coal in lumbby swamp(i want the addy ores)! I don't see a reason to rise your mining lv after 85.

Consider that neither Fishing nor Woodcutting have that general problem with multiple resources per spot; perhaps that's how it could be fixed.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

More ores IS faster.

If it has more rocks in it, less world switching for higher level ores, less clicking in general.

As i see it, the only difference between WC and Mining is the amount of ores, and how far from bank, as well as profit.

Your ARE making it woodcutting, for smithing.

O.O

Thank you for backing me up on this point. Especially the emphasized part. You're one of the folks here that has some semblance of understanding my rant.

IMO, all three of the production skills should have this implemented. I like fairness, as you can see from my sig... :roll:

More ores IS faster. Not much. It just get rids of the annoying respawn time between the one-ore rocks.

If it has more rocks in it, less world switching for higher level ores, less clicking in general. Please. I don't want to die from carpal tunnel syndrome (spelling?) just trying to get a level 99 skill in a game. Jagex is progressing towards convenience, like it or not.

As i see it, the only difference between WC and Mining is the amount of ores, and how far from bank, as well as profit. That's only the ESSENCE of it. Pickaxes are not hatchets, rocks are not trees, etc.

Your ARE making it woodcutting, for smithing. And why can't we? On topic, these changes WILL NOT make mining similar to woodcutting. Woodcutting has much better spots close to banks and trees spread across the whole of RuneScape. We just want to change mining a bit. Make some new rock spots that are reasonably close to banks, more ores per rock, so there will be not as much competition between high and low leveled miners (high level miners might get say, 5 ores in the time the low level player gets 3), allow mining to supply ores for smithing better, etc.

Comments are in bold.

For those who want to snicker at me getting flamed to death by people, here's the thread I was talking about on the first page.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=784079&p=6459485&hilit=mining#p6459485

Prepare for some serious debating (especially when zaaps1 comes).

:lol:

Quelmotz and Makoto VS Estorrath and zaaps1!! =D> :roll:

And why can't we? On topic, these changes WILL NOT make mining similar to woodcutting. Woodcutting has much better spots close to banks and trees spread across the whole of RuneScape. We just want to change mining a bit. Make some new rock spots that are reasonably close to banks, more ores per rock, so there will be not as much competition between high and low leveled miners (high level miners might get say, 5 ores in the time the low level player gets 3), allow mining to supply ores for smithing better, etc.

I'm going to answer this with another quote.

The second would be to add more Mithril and Adamantite to various, convenient mines already in the game (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Mining Guild).

Please. I don't want to die from carpal tunnel syndrome (spelling?) just trying to get a level 99 skill in a game. Jagex is progressing towards convenience, like it or not.

That i do agree with, but making mining easier, it should probably be balanced by making it significantly slower to mine. Somewhat like the pray-X update, in which it actually got slower, but it was easier.

Not much. It just get rids of the annoying respawn time between the one-ore rocks.

Which = less competition, in other words, easier.

O.O

And why can't we? On topic, these changes WILL NOT make mining similar to woodcutting. Woodcutting has much better spots close to banks and trees spread across the whole of RuneScape. We just want to change mining a bit. Make some new rock spots that are reasonably close to banks, more ores per rock, so there will be not as much competition between high and low leveled miners (high level miners might get say, 5 ores in the time the low level player gets 3), allow mining to supply ores for smithing better, etc.

The second would be to add more Mithril and Adamantite to various, convenient mines already in the game (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Mining Guild).

Please. I don't want to die from carpal tunnel syndrome (spelling?) just trying to get a level 99 skill in a game. Jagex is progressing towards convenience, like it or not.

That i do agree with, but making mining easier, it should probably be balanced by making it significantly slower to mine. Somewhat like the pray-X update, in which it actually got slower, but it was easier.

Not much. It just get rids of the annoying respawn time between the one-ore rocks.

Why do you have such strong disagreement with the concept of MAKING MINING MORE CONVENIENT? I seriously don't want to die from carpal tunnel syndrome or whatever you call it just because I'm training mining.

I have nothing against making the time taken to mine ores longer, but why the [bleep] are you suggesting this? Mining ores is already a INCRREDIBLY slow process, so why slow it down more?

That quote doesn't answer the principal question of "why can't we". In fact, it doesn't even make sense there. What were you going for?

While making Mining easier was NEVER the scope of my rant, you seem to have a broken record with this one. How in God's name does more resources from the same, slow rocks make Mining easier?

If you had sufficiently read up before you posted, you'd see on the first page that I said this.

One of your best ideas to me would be multiple ores per rock, however, the rate of gaining an ore would need to be slightly slower. This would sound contradcitory in that the speed of xp would not increase as much as you intended, however, this would keep the ores at a reasonable price. It would then be slightly more afkable and keep a decent income.

I don't intend for the experience to increase, no; I intend for the rewards to increase. Give me ten Mithril ores from the same rock at the experience of six of them; I'm pacified. Besides, I was prepared to trade the faster ores for less experience in the first place, since it would balance itself out in the end anyway.

Not true - both Fishing and Woodcutting's respawn times have no bearing on competition whatsoever. On the other hand, Mining's respawn times sure as hell do - if you don't get to this mid to high level rock on time, then it's probably too late.

I'm also concerned that you didn't answer Lil_Cowmoo's question, which was posed rather nicely:

Now, I will ask you again, if you still believe mining will be ruined, explain to me how you believe that with a few more conveniently placed addy and mith ores, and maybe some deeper rocks will ruin the skill completely, and don't use other skills as examples, it doesn't work.

s1L0U.jpg

Because.

Not only is there a few more conveniently placed addy, mith and ores in general, what he is suggesting is multiple ores per rock, which at least in my opinion would make the skill easier.

Sure, a few more conveniently placed addy and mith ores isnt a problem, at least in my opinion, but multiple ores per rock is a complete makeover of the skill.

If you had sufficiently read up before you posted, you'd see on the first page that I said this.

It wasn't in your opening post, thus i didn't read it.

It dose make sense now that i think about it.

O.O

IMO, all three of the production skills should have this implemented. I like fairness, as you can see from my sig... :roll:

For what is fair is that higher level players should get a better chance to get the ores as they put more effort on that skill, if all players have the same chance of getting the ores then what is the meaning of getting higher mining level except for getting the skillcape and mining all kinds of ores?

22,993th to get 99fm on 20th June 2009

miner1087.png