Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Okaaay, I just read THE WHOLE TOPIC (Yeah, EVERY SINGLE POST!) and I REALLY wanted to say something to back you up, but I think everything I wanted to say has been said but I'll try to say it anyway.

First things first- Mining is utterly behind of other processing skills- woodcutting and fishing. As already said, all those skills needed a click per action in RSC, in RS (2) woodcutting and fishing got upgrades so they didn't need more clicks than one until the resource moved/was depleted, but mining didn't have the upgrade, as it had only one resource per spawn to begin with.

I, for one am a RS 2 generation player, I started soon after it was launched, but that also means I got to try the RSC, almost as it was. I witnessed the cook-x update while I was cooking, it made it a lot easier and faster, a lot of upgrades like this have been implemented in the past years to improve the mechanics of the game. It will be a matter of time when Jagex comes up with something for mining too, and as MMG said,

If you look at the Rants feedback, it is typically less than 0.5% of the total players that respond to an apparently unpopular update. Does that mean the other 99.5% like it and it should stay?

No updates like this have been reversed as of now, and probably won't. It's just the way progress works. Things get better, faster and easier, whether you like it or not.

When I powermined (yes, the only way mining is done nowadays) to get 70 mining from 68 mining, I felt that I died inside, as it was totally pointless, but the higher level ores are just too hard to get and selling them is just not worth it later on.

IMHO the best place to mine mithril and adamantite is in Lumby swamp with Varrock armor 3 (yes, it works there too), but still, even if I smelt it into bars, the bars gotten from monster drops totally deplete my effort (I've been to aviansies, for example). Also so many other monsters drop ores that, I think, noone mines ores other than runite (not many mine it), coal (only ore mined in masses) and gold (dropping because of SC) for cash, and why? IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

And also mining is supposed to be a supportive skill to crafting besides smithing. Yeah, right... I think it's use depletes with clay, as it's fastest to make in crafting guild, silver loses its potential for money after crafting (NOONE buys tiaras [exept for some desperate runecrafters who make rs tiaras for xp, what drains a lot of money in talismans], holy symbols are not widely spread, unholys are rare to see IMO), gold.... gold is only bought out because powersmelting (I think this term doesn't even exist) with smelting gauntlets, but even that's decreasing because of SC hammers making adamant bars from aviansies useful and cheaper granting more exp.

So... I just totally emptied myself into this post. Now, that I have said mining does not par with woodcutting and fishing anymore, I think that it's partially fault of combat, and by that Jagex. Jagex wanted to make it easier to gain ores (because prices were too high) so they added them to monster droplists is large quantities, but it also destroyed the demand for adamantite and mithril, and as almost noone had mined the ores before, they thought they did OK and placed a lot less of the rocks (adamantite and mithril) around mining places.

Yay, first post in rants!

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think monster drops are what makes mining below rune just not worth it.

Not many monsters drop rune, if any as far as i can tell, multiple monsters drop noted coal, iron, mith, and addy.

Yeah, even the FREAKING RANDOM EVENTS give you noted coal and gold and stuff like that.

New idea. Mining isn't broken, the other skills are.

New area: Sacred Forest, where you fight Enchanted Yews and they drop noted yew logs. BTW, they only take damage from hatchet weapons.

New area: Pristine Ocean, when Swordfish Guards and Lobster Phalanx drop... noted versions of themselves. (+10% combat exp when you kill them with harpoon/lobster pot)

I am a tree.

New idea. Mining isn't broken, the other skills are.

New area: Sacred Forest, where you fight Enchanted Yews and they drop noted yew logs. BTW, they only take damage from hatchet weapons.

New area: Pristine Ocean, when Swordfish Guards and Lobster Phalanx drop... noted versions of themselves. (+10% combat exp when you kill them with harpoon/lobster pot)

Yeah, but because most people think the "other skills" aren't broken, mining is. And reverting woodcutting and fishing back to the old versions will just draw flaming and spamming. So Jagex has no choice but to change mining.

They arent broken, but they suck. Alot.

Fishing and woodcutting are both horrid money makers, with the only advantage being ease.

If you start to think, that may be the reason they fail at money making...

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

Fishing and woodcutting are both horrid money makers, with the only advantage being ease.

But mining ALSO sucks as a money maker... and isn't easy.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Mining p ess at level 30 is faster than yews at level 99.
This is true. But does that make the skill as a whole profitable? And, furthermore, doesn't the expense of pure essence also cut deeply into RCs profitability?
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Mining p ess at level 30 is faster than yews at level 99.
This is true. But does that make the skill as a whole profitable? And, furthermore, doesn't the expense of pure essence also cut deeply into RCs profitability?

Calling "mining" pure essence a form of mining is absurd. It's more like woodcutting on a tree with unlimited logs, just that the "skill level" required is 30 mining. You could get there by spending a few hours powermining tin and copper, then powermining iron.

Face it, mining sucks.

And honestly, why are you comparing a P2P way of earning money to a way of earning money that is mainly used by f2p? Isn't it obvious that the P2P way will be faster and more profitable, because p2pers pay? :roll:

Its a form of mining because it requires a PICK, a MINING LEVEL and MINING XP.

Thats like saying cutting a tree is not woodcutting, it is mining because you only get 1 log from the tree.

Sure pure ess is LIKE woodcutting, but its still ultimately mining.

And honestly, why are you comparing a P2P way of earning money to a way of earning money that is mainly used by f2p? Isn't it obvious that the P2P way will be faster and more profitable, because p2pers pay? :roll:

Ok, mining p ess at 30 mining is still faster/almost as fast than yews or magic trees at 85+ woodcutting.

Mining is still much better than woodcutting in p2p, maybe not in f2p.

O.O

At 60 mining coal is alot faster than yews at 70 woodcut.

Much much faster.

(from a f2p standpoint) Sort of. If you're talking about the best of conditions, I still think woodcutting is faster (xp and profit). If you're talking about normal conditions, I think they're about equal (xp and profit).

I'd like to toss in my 2 cents:

Mining experience should be closer to wood cutting experience (and smithing should be closer to firemaking, but that's not this discussion). Whether that means wc gets less experience, or mining gets more, I don't know. The fact that each yew log gets 175 xp, and you can get multiple yews from a single tree... not to mention that there are many more yew trees in better locations than there are (equivelant.... mithril?) mining spots. Also the fact that yews (last time I checked) were 2x as much as coal or mithril...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

At 60 mining coal is alot faster than yews at 70 woodcut.

Much much faster.

(from a f2p standpoint) Sort of. If you're talking about the best of conditions, I still think woodcutting is faster (xp and profit). If you're talking about normal conditions, I think they're about equal (xp and profit).

I'd like to toss in my 2 cents:

Mining experience should be closer to wood cutting experience (and smithing should be closer to firemaking, but that's not this discussion). Whether that means wc gets less experience, or mining gets more, I don't know. The fact that each yew log gets 175 xp, and you can get multiple yews from a single tree... not to mention that there are many more yew trees in better locations than there are (equivelant.... mithril?) mining spots. Also the fact that yews (last time I checked) were 2x as much as coal or mithril...

I meant in f2p.

And in f2p, mining guild is (surprisingly) rarely crowded and has a vast amount of coal to mine, most of which is 3 seconds to mine (at 60 mining). Coal is so much faster than yews that the price of yews doesn't help it become more profitable than mining. Best of conditions and normal conditions (since for mining coal you'd always use mining guild after 60 mining), mining wins.

I haven't done much mining in p2p, but I have done a fair bit of p2p woodcutting (was my first 99) and WC is definately not a skill I'd recommend for money making.

Zerker_jane.png

And in f2p, mining guild is (surprisingly) rarely crowded and has a vast amount of coal to mine, most of which is 3 seconds to mine (at 60 mining). Coal is so much faster than yews that the price of yews doesn't help it become more profitable than mining. Best of conditions and normal conditions (since for mining coal you'd always use mining guild after 60 mining), mining wins.

I've never seen a guild with <4 people :/

(I switch between guild and wilderness coal mine.)

I am a tree.

I've never seen a guild with <4 people :/

(I switch between guild and wilderness coal mine.)

I've never seen it with more than 5. And that's on weekends.

Zerker_jane.png

I've never seen it with more than 5. And that's on weekends.

Oh wait. You're on P2P worlds, maybe that is why.

Oh wait. I said F2P, any other theories?

Oh wait, you're right, you did say F2P. Haa. Too desperate to look for theories that I looked at your sidebar-info-thing. Nevermind, I'm out of ideas.

I am a tree.

I meant in f2p.

I haven't done much mining in p2p, but I have done a fair bit of p2p woodcutting (was my first 99) and WC is definately not a skill I'd recommend for money making.

From my own personal experiences, I would tend to disagree. But that's just because its my own experiences :P .

At any rate, we should be comparing apples to apples.

To steer back to the thread topic - The comperable comparision is willows to coal, in which case willows are undoubtly faster (xp).

Which, by the way, I agree that mining sucks. I think it is one of the skills that are comparable whether you do it in F2P or P2P, espescially in difficulty.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Comparing apples to apples is even worse.

Sure, you get faster XP with willows, but to be honest, it gives you XP in an inferior skill, and my 9k willows recently sold, it took about 2 months.

In which with mining coal or essence, the XP is slower, but the money is better and it gives you XP in a skill which will end up better than woodcutting.

O.O

Comparing apples to apples is even worse.

Sure, you get faster XP with willows, but to be honest, it gives you XP in an inferior skill, and my 9k willows recently sold, it took about 2 months.

In which with mining coal or essence, the XP is slower, but the money is better and it gives you XP in a skill which will end up better than woodcutting.

But the point here is NOT, I repeat NOT about profit. It's that mining sucks and it doesn't serve its purpose. Many people have misinterpreted this. Mining DOES NOT serve its purpose as a skill to supply raw materials for smiths, whereas woodcutting does. Logs might sell out slowly, but that problem is because there's not as much demand on the firemaking side, not because woodcutting doesn't serve its purpose. Mining, on the other hand, can earn a lot of money, but the demand is more than the supply, except for some ores like coal, ESPECIALLY for ores like mithril, adamantite and rune.

IMHO the best place to mine mithril and adamantite is in Lumby swamp with Varrock armor 3 (yes, it works there too), but still, even if I smelt it into bars, the bars gotten from monster drops totally deplete my effort (I've been to aviansies, for example). Also so many other monsters drop ores that, I think, noone mines ores other than runite (not many mine it), coal (only ore mined in masses) and gold (dropping because of SC) for cash, and why? IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

I went to Warped Tortoises to pick up some shells for Summoning earlier, and I walked away with about 36 Mithril ore in the span of about a half hour. That says plenty right there, I believe. As for mining coal, I don't think I know anyone that really does anymore - even I get my supply from Miscellania. Gold is a bit of a mixed bag - you *can* mine it successfully, and there's enough of it in one place to make it actually feasible - but the actual process of going through with it for Smithing experience has been long outclassed by SC and other methods. I'll say this - if I had to mine an equivalent amount of Gold as I did with smelting/smithing Iron for 92 Smithing, I think I would have quit by now.

And also mining is supposed to be a supportive skill to crafting besides smithing. Yeah, right... I think it's use depletes with clay, as it's fastest to make in crafting guild, silver loses its potential for money after crafting (NOONE buys tiaras [exept for some desperate runecrafters who make rs tiaras for xp, what drains a lot of money in talismans], holy symbols are not widely spread, unholys are rare to see IMO), gold.... gold is only bought out because powersmelting (I think this term doesn't even exist) with smelting gauntlets, but even that's decreasing because of SC hammers making adamant bars from aviansies useful and cheaper granting more exp.

Truth be told, Crafting sees better usage with hides than it does Gold/Silver. Also, the only people mining clay are the ones either making tablets or are just beginning Crafting, anyway.

So... I just totally emptied myself into this post. Now, that I have said mining does not par with woodcutting and fishing anymore, I think that it's partially fault of combat, and by that Jagex. Jagex wanted to make it easier to gain ores (because prices were too high) so they added them to monster droplists is large quantities, but it also destroyed the demand for adamantite and mithril, and as almost noone had mined the ores before, they thought they did OK and placed a lot less of the rocks (adamantite and mithril) around mining places.

Yay, first post in rants!

I don't think that it was about prices being too high that Smithing goods were added to droplists; I think it was more of applying a bandage - giving certain NPCs drops of ore in large amounts - where one really required a tourniquet.

But mining ALSO sucks as a money maker... and isn't easy.

Profit is not the scope of this rant. Who cares about profit when Mining has its own purpose, anyway?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.