Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I'd more rant about Prolog. Really.

mining(sucks) :- true.

Man I hated that language for AI class.

I do think the concentrated ores are a positive step. Hopefully there will be concentrated mith (85?), adamant (90?), and rune (95?) in the near future.

And really, who cares if it becomes AFKable. Living Rock isn't AFKable due to those stupid throwers, and I'm pretty sure that if other concentrates come out, they'll be infested too.

It's great to be back after revising like mad for the exams. :D

Anyway, it seems like the recent living rock caverns was a step in the right direction, though I've never tried it out since I'm F2P, but from the comments it seems that there are "concentrated" rocks or whatever you call it.

[hide=]

Living Rock isn't AFKable due to those stupid throwers

It is completely AFKable just check the RS screen every two mins to run to the bank to deposit the load.

There are plenty of safe spots

Mining is now a easy AND profitable 99 thanks to living rock update.

[/hide]

Wow canadianIdiot! How good of you to spread non-sense on yet another thread! I had hoped that after you made such an idiot of yourself in your personalised shops thread, you'd grown any brains.

Well, now that we're back on a new forum, and I finally found the time to read and reply to some posts through the maze of Calculus and Prolog, I'm going to critique the latest Mining update, Living Rock Caverns.

Truth be told, this place is the best update to Mining in a long, long time. You can now click on a single rock, and receive more than one rock in return. This makes training the skill so much less of a drag, and it also means that more coal and gold can come into the game in a more effective manner. There is a balance, which is alright, I suppose - the rocks have these guardians which are, at times, difficult to avoid, and can pack a wallop if you're unprepared. Overall, this update is a step in the right direction for Mining. Implementing higher leveled concentrated ore would be definitely beneficial to the game.

I must say I agree that the Living Rocks are indeed a good update, though I still do not believe there should be much more higher leveled rocks (see my earlier point).

--

Whether or not it became another AFK skill is irrelevant to the scope of the rant itself. All I want for Mining to do is to produce more ores, which in turn, means that Smithing is no longer an arcane thing for only those with PHats to do.

Smithing never was an arcane thing to do for those with phats, and although I see the point, this doesn't apply for those in F2p (earlier post).

Truthfully, changing Mining such that the rewards increased over the actual experience would tie in a lot better than just increasing the rewards - did you read the first page? I made a statement to the effect that if I were to receive 3/5ths more ore, I'd accept 3/5ths less experience. Perhaps that would appease the fear over an AFKable skill?

Actually, yes. :D

Unique, yes. I will definitely agree that Mining is and will still remain to be unique. But, I still contend that the rewards from the skill could use a boost. You calling it fun is probably not a correct analogy, as I did the same thing in March when I found Smelting 26,000 Iron ores to be "fun" - but only after I had decided to join MMG's chat. The skill then was only fun when you made it fun. Wouldn't you say that all skills are like that, if you can find a glimmer of enjoyment not from skilling, but doing the stuff while skilling?

You raise a most valid point. What I meant was that I could mine the way I have without having to do additional actitities though, which was refreshing. That said, of course this is a personal opinion.

It's probably a bad idea to jump to the conclusion that I'm being misled. But I don't really see how I can really explain it; for those with only 61 Mining, there's really no difference between a Dragon Pick and a Rune Pick for their powermining. I haven't tested it with the new concentrated ores yet (but I did with Granite/Sandstone/Gold), but there's really not much of a speed boost between the two pickaxes. It exists now, but I just don't see why they couldn't have waited until Mining was at a point in which you could benefit from higher metal pickaxes.

You can, but like I said, powermining is definetly not what the skill was meant for. Also, iron is one of those ores that's been a one-hit with rune pickaxe. They'd have to slow the rune pickaxe to make a difference with such low level ores. I don't think that would be a good idea.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

It is completely AFKable just check the RS screen every two mins to run to the bank to deposit the load.

-.-

How the hell is it easy? None of the 99's are easy. They are all tedious.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Yes if you know your way around the cave, there are plenty of safe spot to mine there.

I wouldn't say it is easy, the hard part is getting to 77. Once you get that level, mining becomes way easier in that dongeon and it becomes way more profitable too.

The only nonsense I see in canadiansmurf post is saying 99 mining is easy. Easier , yes, easy : a matter of opinion.

I, for one, am glad that mining is now easier on the wrist and on the xp per hour as prior to this update I had planned on keeping my lvl at 85 forever. Mining doesn't suck for me since that update.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Your stat's are so low that I could create a lvl 3 today and get those stat's in a week. AND you are F2P what do you know about the member's skills.

There are easy 99's.

Cooking.

Fletching.

Anything buyable if you are rich enough.

In my opinion mining is now an easy 99 because of the new update. The concentrated ores mine faster with a dragon pick, the bank is close by, and the xp per hour is decent. It still takes time to get 99 mining but the effort compared to moving around getting one ore per rock with old style mining is so much less. It is faster to reach 99 mining now than before and you don't even have to drop ores while powermining.

Mining is even easier than 99 wc or fishing now. I'm not complaining I think living caverns was the best update all year.

Your stat's are so low that I could create a lvl 3 today and get those stat's in a week. AND you are F2P what do you know about the member's skills.

There are easy 99's.

Cooking.

Fletching.

Anything buyable if you are rich enough.

In my opinion mining is now an easy 99 because of the new update. The concentrated ores mine faster with a dragon pick, the bank is close by, and the xp per hour is decent. It still takes time to get 99 mining but the effort compared to moving around getting one ore per rock with old style mining is so much less. It is faster to reach 99 mining now than before and you don't even have to drop ores while powermining.

Mining is even easier than 99 wc or fishing now. I'm not complaining I think living caverns was the best update all year.

A buyable skill doesn't mean its easy.

Does buying something imply that tedium is completely removed? Obviously not. It's just a coincidence that MOST buyable skills are easier than non-buyable ones. Even if you buy 1000 lobsters, for example, cooking experience isn't just going to drop from the sky. You still have to cook them (which is boring). Same for fletching, etc.

Smithing is a prime example illustrating my point. Smithing is buyable, agree? Obvious. But is it non-tedious/easy? Very few find it so. It's boring and slow for most people.

You still have to cook them (which is boring). Same for fletching, etc.

Normal players afk and do something non tedious while levelling

Before cook x or fletch x skills were tedious, now they are handed to you on a silver platter.

Smithing... It's boring and slow for most people.

SC hammers

Addy platebodys

easy 99 smithing in less than a month

Oh really? Have you bought a skill lately?

How many level 99 skills do you have?

...Anything buyable if you are rich enough.

How is it that you managed to both prove and refute your point in the same sentence? Buyable is not the same as easy. Full stop. As for the SC Hammers, I used those on my way to 92, but since I only spent 7M on it (smelting 95% of my ores), it took me about eight months to finish it up.

I was able to buy it, but that sure as hell wasn't easy.

Now I understand that you are debating the simplicity of Mining, or whether or not it's an easy skill, but let me remind you: that is outside of the scope of my rant. Now, this is as polite as I can put it, so please, drop the whole issue about "easy 99s". Take it somewhere else. But not here.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Smurf, it's easy to say "easy 99 in less than a month" - but honestly, you're missing the time spent a) making the cash to buy the items and B) time spent playing SC. Heck, that's like saying I could get 99 summoning in a week!

Back to MtP's rant.

Do you see more concentrated ores in our future?

Smurf, it's easy to say "easy 99 in less than a month" - but honestly, you're missing the time spent a) making the cash to buy the items and B) time spent playing SC. Heck, that's like saying I could get 99 summoning in a week!

Back to MtP's rant.

Do you see more concentrated ores in our future?

Also missing the time each one of us plays the game each day. Maybe canadiansmurf is one of those players who plays for +12 hours/day...if i played that much, besides going insane, i would also, with suficient money, achieve 99 smithing in a month.

I haven't explored Living Rock Caverns that much but they do seem to cheapen the skill somewhat. And yes i really like mining B)

Your stat's are so low that I could create a lvl 3 today and get those stat's in a week.

Enjoy your life emot-smug.gif

pixelsig.png

nubguy.jpg

R.I.P. Neko :[

5,445,898,965th to 99 Woodcutting

Blogs are dead

Guys, don't turn this into another 99 thread. All of the 99's are hard, hands down, period.

About mining...

Jagex has now started to take the right step for mining. The Dragon Pickaxe and the Concentrated Ore updates were really beneficial.

I hope in the future they would release Concentrated Iron, Concentrated Silver, Concentrated Mithril, Concentrated Adamantite, heck even Concentrated Runite.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

You still have to cook them (which is boring). Same for fletching, etc.

Normal players afk and do something non tedious while levelling

Before cook x or fletch x skills were tedious, now they are handed to you on a silver platter.

Smithing... It's boring and slow for most people.

SC hammers

Addy platebodys

easy 99 smithing in less than a month

Oh really? Have you bought a skill lately?

How many level 99 skills do you have?

What [cabbage].

So you're saying you can only AFK buyable skills? You can AFK mine, AFK woodcut, whatever. Think before you write.

"Less than a month" I think you missed out the part about playing 6 hours per day or so. Not everyone is a no-lifer like you.

Also, you don't need to have cancer to know it's horrible.

--------------

Anyway, let's drop the topic.

So you're saying you can only AFK buyable skills?

Learn to read, I never said this and my earlier posts on this thread started with talking about afking mining. Where do you come up with your unique interpretations.

Not everyone is a no-lifer like you.

Typical from a player who has played years and has a poor character with low levels.

Getting a 99 is like having cancer? <_<

--------------

Typical quelmotz you always post things off-topic to the main rant.

Everyone drop the 99s are easy topic especially as the original thread creator wants this thread to go back on topic.

It would help if the OP started mining sucks part 3

With the dragon pick out and concentrated ores mining is much better now and these were significant improvements to the skill.

Jagex has now started to take the right step for mining. The Dragon Pickaxe and the Concentrated Ore updates were really beneficial.

I hope in the future they would release Concentrated Iron, Concentrated Silver, Concentrated Mithril, Concentrated Adamantite, heck even Concentrated Runite.

I do too, but it's unlikely we'll see anything higher than Adamantite if we wanted Concentrated ores. I'd also contend that Concentrated Iron would produce more grinding, but it would be interesting to see it as well. I would definitely welcome concentrated Mithril and Adamantite somewhere reasonable in the Haunted Mine, though.

Typical quelmotz you always post things off-topic to the main rant.

Everyone drop the 99s are easy topic especially as the original thread creator wants this thread to go back on topic.

With the dragon pick out and concentrated ores mining is much better now and these were significant improvements to the skill.

First, it was you that took the thread off to the opposite direction in the first place. Thanks for reigning it in though, we're not here to discuss such pedantic matters anyway.

Second, why would I create a new thread? This thread is still kicking around, and it's not like it's needlessly crowded.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So you're saying you can only AFK buyable skills?

Learn to read, I never said this and my earlier posts on this thread started with talking about afking mining. Where do you come up with your unique interpretations.

You learn to phrase your posts properly. Your post was effectively stating that you could only AFK on buyable skills.

Not everyone is a no-lifer like you.

Typical from a player who has played years and has a poor character with low levels.

I happen to have other interests other than playing RuneScape, unlike you. You go ahead and waste your life away, I'm not stopping you. Just don't try to force other people to play RS 6 hours a day.

Getting a 99 is like having cancer? <_< Oh I forgot your lack of intellectual capability inhibits your ability to understand analogies.

--------------

Typical quelmotz you always post things off-topic to the main rant. This is really the epitome of absurd posts. You started the freaking topic of "99s are easy" and now you're blaming ME for doing it? Nice one.

Everyone drop the 99s are easy topic especially as the original thread creator wants this thread to go back on topic. If you don't want to obey his orders, he can click a button and have you reported.

With the dragon pick out and concentrated ores mining is much better now and these were significant improvements to the skill. Mining still sucks, so there's no reason why the OP should start a third thread.

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite interesting canadiansmurf thinks he's not ignorant for a change and starts ranting. You should have seen him making a fool out of himself in his own rant. Such an idiot.

Back to mining, I think that the latest improvements are indeed a good addition to mining. Although I never thought it sucked, I think more people would be satisfied with it now.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

It is quite interesting canadiansmurf thinks he's not ignorant for a change and starts ranting. You should have seen him making a fool out of himself in his own rant. Such an idiot.

Back to mining, I think that the latest improvements are indeed a good addition to mining. Although I never thought it sucked, I think more people would be satisfied with it now.

True, but I don't think enough people are satisfied to make it an "unsuckish" skill. I mean, F2P didn't get a thing, and the update didn't solve the problem for mining in ALL the mining spots. It'll just make them redundant.

True, but I don't think enough people are satisfied to make it an "unsuckish" skill. I mean, F2P didn't get a thing, and the update didn't solve the problem for mining in ALL the mining spots. It'll just make them redundant.

In my opinion enough people are satisfied if there's 100+ miners at once (all worlds counted together) a month after the update and people are ranting at forums how their capes turned into nothing. I'd personally say that the new mining place was the best update of this year for me: I was having serious problems with mining and was thinking that it could be the only thing that takes me from maxing overall. I also like the concept of the new mining as it offers you a great and different method of leveling a hard skill if you're willing to pay for the product and you've trained few relatively high skills, in this case mining and defence.

If someone has 103 posts and his profile says "Most Active In: Rants (61 posts) ", I think there's something wrong ;P At some forums people could tell the others not to feed the troll.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm