Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, uh sorry but I like mining the way it is. I prefer it when things are a little more difficult that cooking.

The aim of this rant is not to make mining easier. It's to make mining less "sucky", or make it serve it's purpose as a skill to supply smithing with ores better. Nowadays few people mine mithril/adamantite to supply smiths with ores. Most of the ores are just gotten from monster drops... :roll:

I really like the idea of having dwarves around that will note your ores for a small price.

So do I, even though my mining will probably once come from concentrated mines in the future...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Wow, uh sorry but I like mining the way it is. I prefer it when things are a little more difficult that cooking.

It's all personal preference. IMO, all skills (even Cooking) are difficult to get 99 in.

This rant is just expressing what Makoto_the_Phoenix thinks about Mining, but this doesn't necessary apply to all of us.

Though, one of the things I do not like about mining is the fact that gold makes more cash than mithril and adamantite. It makes no sense.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

The aim of this rant is not to make mining easier. It's to make mining less "sucky", or make it serve it's purpose as a skill to supply smithing with ores better. Nowadays few people mine mithril/adamantite to supply smiths with ores. Most of the ores are just gotten from monster drops... :roll:

OP complains about the lack of rocks/good spots because it's difficult to find a really good high level mining area near a bank/noter/chest. OP doesn't like the one rock one ore and wants multiple ores per rock.

More ores per single rock = easier leveling

Make more higher level rocks near bank = easier leveling

I prefer:

few high level rocks = difficult leveling

far from bank = difficult leveling

1 ore per rock = difficult leveling

We already have pickaxes that basically auto click for you until you get the ore, it' enough IMO.

We already have pickaxes that basically auto click for you until you get the ore, it' enough IMO.

Concentrated rocks say hi.

Iron rocks say hi.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

OP complains about the lack of rocks/good spots because it's difficult to find a really good high level mining area near a bank/noter/chest. OP doesn't like the one rock one ore and wants multiple ores per rock.

I prefer:

And what's wrong with easier levelling? Mining will still be mining, and it'll still remain harder than cooking and such. Multiple ores/rock does make it easier to level, but it isn't the aim. The aim is to supply smithing with more ores, not to make mining easier. Side-effects are always present in just about any update.

How does making more high level rocks near banks make levelling easier? High level rocks are slow exp for god's sake. I'm beginning to wonder whether you're a real miner or not. It just lets miners earn more cash which does NOT = to easier levelling.

I'm beginning to wonder whether you're a real miner or not.

Let's not go there since hiscores will clearly show "Meili" is, in fact, a real miner. In case you didn't know, I also have one of the oldest personal fan pages for Runescape. Link on my sig. The website clearly shows how freaking long I have been mining in RS. 8 years, you know?

Thanks. :P

Sorry about the late replies, I've been preoccupied with other projects. Anyway...

I prefer:

I suppose Meili forgot something.

OP (myself) also stated the following:

I don't intend for the experience to increase, no; I intend for the rewards to increase. Give me ten Mithril ores from the same rock at the experience of six of them; I'm pacified. Besides, I was prepared to trade the faster ores for less experience in the first place, since it would balance itself out in the end anyway.

[ironically, it was on the first page of responses, too.]

I have absolutely no intention of increasing the ease of the skill. Find me one place where I said that and I will rescind this point. I only want the rewards from Mining to increase. I said it before, and I'll gladly say it again - give me six times more Mithril and/or Adamant, and I'll gladly accept six times less experience for both.

By the by, we both mined in the same era. Mining iron/coal was arduous (unless you powermined Iron, which is a major complaint of mine in general). Mining Mithril/Adamant was difficult. Mining Runite is/was an art form. You can't tell me that you wouldn't like to be able to get more ore, now would you? That's all this rant is about, not about making things easier.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I am not sure where the protests are coming from. Getting more ores also makes mining easier. I don't want everything to be easy, it's as simple as that. If I want a huge money-making skill that's super easy, I'll runecraft.

I *like* it when things are more difficult. It presents more of a challenge.

Making things easier and easier is making RS2 like a game for 10 year olds with ADD.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mining. At all.

Concentrated rocks say hi.

Iron rocks say hi.

Meili says hi.

Lol yeah I saw the update but I haven't been there since I was f2p at the time. I plan to check out the new area next week.

I believe we are here talking about old-style mining... :P

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mining. At all.

Then explain the fact why no one gets mithril/adamantite ores from miners to smith? It is completely absurd that monsters which aren't supposed to be a primary source of ores in the first place are the primary source of ores for smiths, instead of mining, whose purpose is precisely to supply smiths with ore. Which it clearly isn't doing.

I have absolutely no intention of increasing the ease of the skill. Find me one place where I said that and I will rescind this point. I only want the rewards from Mining to increase. I said it before, and I'll gladly say it again - give me six times more Mithril and/or Adamant, and I'll gladly accept six times less experience for both.

What is the point of getting more mith and addy ores if there isn't more xp?

Your rant seems to be about not having enough ores to smith. Why not title your rant smithing sucks.

More mith and addy ores will never happen as items smithed can be alched making mining too rewarding.

You picked the haunted mines as an example of how "impossible" it is to mine mith and addy this is untrue.

I used to mine at the f2p hobgoblin mines in the wildy, that was a decent spot to get addy ores.

After I got members I used to mine and smith bars using the magic spell at the grand tree mine.

Also I even used to mine at the desert mine, there was a decent amount of ores there as well.

The OP is very stubborn and has ignored the amazing gold ores and coal ores living caverns update. This single update has made mining popular. Also as gold is one of the best ways to level smithing with crafting gauntlets there is no reason to whine that smithing is impossible. You can DIY smithing now by just mining your own ores if you have the patience.

Besides living caverns there are other things that make mining easier now:

Varrock armour : Gives extra ores up to addy while mining, this is a significant bonus

Shooting stars: Mining xp, free ores, free gp, free gems AND a bonus of extra ores for mining for a certain period of time

Stealing creation pickaxes: DOUBLE MINING XP and it takes 12 minutes max to get these points if you do fast sc games

Stealing creation hammer: DOUBLE SMITHING XP what more could you ask for and saves lots of gp while levelling smithing

Blast furnace : Requires less ores to smith bars AND now there is a direct cart ride from GE to here AND because of personalized shops other players can't buy the noted ores you sell to the store

And last but not least, not everyone has the summonning level for a pack yak, but with one it doesn't matter how far and incovenient the mine is just mine, fill and bank ores with a scroll.

I DO NOT support more mining changes to make ores easier to get.

The argument that monsters are bringing more bars and ores into the game vs players doesn't hold water. Where are you getting this information from? It was harder to mine before and there were plenty of mith and addy ores for sale. Most monsters do NOT drop noted bars or ores, there are a few such as aviansies etc. If anything more monsters should drop noted bars such as metallic dragons.

The bulk of ores and bars are coming from players, not monsters.

What is the point of getting more mith and addy ores if there isn't more xp?

Your rant seems to be about not having enough ores to smith. Why not title your rant smithing sucks.

More mith and addy ores will never happen as items smithed can be alched making mining too rewarding.

You picked the haunted mines as an example of how "impossible" it is to mine mith and addy this is untrue.

I used to mine at the f2p hobgoblin mines in the wildy, that was a decent spot to get addy ores.

After I got members I used to mine and smith bars using the magic spell at the grand tree mine.

Also I even used to mine at the desert mine, there was a decent amount of ores there as well.

The OP is very stubborn and has ignored the amazing gold ores and coal ores living caverns update. This single update has made mining popular. Also as gold is one of the best ways to level smithing with crafting gauntlets there is no reason to whine that smithing is impossible. You can DIY smithing now by just mining your own ores if you have the patience.

Besides living caverns there are other things that make mining easier now:

Varrock armour : Gives extra ores up to addy while mining, this is a significant bonus

Shooting stars: Mining xp, free ores, free gp, free gems AND a bonus of extra ores for mining for a certain period of time

Stealing creation pickaxes: DOUBLE MINING XP and it takes 12 minutes max to get these points if you do fast sc games

Stealing creation hammer: DOUBLE SMITHING XP what more could you ask for and saves lots of gp while levelling smithing

Blast furnace : Requires less ores to smith bars AND now there is a direct cart ride from GE to here AND because of personalized shops other players can't buy the noted ores you sell to the store

And last but not least, not everyone has the summonning level for a pack yak, but with one it doesn't matter how far and incovenient the mine is just mine, fill and bank ores with a scroll.

I DO NOT support more mining changes to make ores easier to get.

The argument that monsters are bringing more bars and ores into the game vs players doesn't hold water. Where are you getting this information from? It was harder to mine before and there were plenty of mith and addy ores for sale. Most monsters do NOT drop noted bars or ores, there are a few such as aviansies etc. If anything more monsters should drop noted bars such as metallic dragons.

The bulk of ores and bars are coming from players, not monsters.

Mithril and Adamantite ores are ridiculously hard to mine. Frankly, the time/effort spent on them is not worth the reward. Low exp and not much value.

Your arguments are one-sided. So what if gold and coal got a boost? Gold didn't need it, mithril and adamantite needed the boost.

The point of making ores easier to get for the same exp is to supply smithing better with ores. Even if the bulk of ores comes from mining, it is not enough as not many people want to mine as it is not profitable, tedious and boring, thus not enough ores are supplied from miners and therefore smithing is harder to train.

Mithril and Adamantite ores are ridiculously hard to mine. Frankly, the time/effort spent on them is not worth the reward. Low exp and not much value.

Your arguments are one-sided. So what if gold and coal got a boost? Gold didn't need it, mithril and adamantite needed the boost.

The point of making ores easier to get for the same exp is to supply smithing better with ores. Even if the bulk of ores comes from mining, it is not enough as not many people want to mine as it is not profitable, tedious and boring, thus not enough ores are supplied from miners and therefore smithing is harder to train.

Addy and mith ores are more valuable than they have every been.

This is incentive alone to mine it.

They are not as hard to mine as rune ore.

Gold did need a boost, the fact that gold ore prices didn't crash with the living rock's update is proof enough. Gold ore prices are stable at 400+ gp.

It's your opinion that mining is tedious and boring. Not all the skills have to be the same or easy. There are plenty of people who like mining.

Again when you bring smithing into this argument you are basically saying smithing sucks. We haven't seen a smithing update yet.

Mining is fine as it is especially for members.

Gold did need a boost, the fact that gold ore prices didn't crash with the living rock's update is proof enough. Gold ore prices are stable at 400+ gp.

It's your opinion that mining is tedious and boring. Not all the skills have to be the same or easy. There are plenty of people who like mining.

Again when you bring smithing into this argument you are basically saying smithing sucks. We haven't seen a smithing update yet.

Well I was speaking more of F2P mining. F2P mining currently sucks like [cabbage], with absolutely horrible mining spots, especially for higher-level rocks like gold, mithril and adamantite (Not rune, rune's price is worth the trouble).

Mining's goal is to SUPPLY SMITHING WITH ORES. The two skills are inter-connected, and not separate entities. If mining sucks, smithing will suck and vice versa.

Please don't try to flame me for being a F2P beggar or what-not. If Jagex is going to introduce a new skill into F2P, they might as well fix the old skills first.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that Mining mith and addy is a ridiculous waste of time at the moment. Most people don't bother; they'd rather powermine their way up to level 85 so they can mine rune and make some proper cash. And mithril/Addy a poor experience anyways, so there is no incentive whatsoever to go out and spend a good 2+ hours mining tha damn rocks.

Instead of boosting coal and gold, how about something worthwhile. They are focuing on the bottom-tier ores rather than the top-tier ores, which is where all Jagex' focus really needs to be.

disturbeda.png

I have to agree that Mining mith and addy is a ridiculous waste of time at the moment. Most people don't bother; they'd rather powermine their way up to level 85 so they can mine rune and make some proper cash. And mithril/Addy a poor experience anyways, so there is no incentive whatsoever to go out and spend a good 2+ hours mining tha damn rocks.

Instead of boosting coal and gold, how about something worthwhile. They are focuing on the bottom-tier ores rather than the top-tier ores, which is where all Jagex' focus really needs to be.

Exactly. Coal and gold are perfectly fine.

Coal is a good powermining ore for higher level miners. (60 (access to mining guild which is the best place to mine coal) and above)

Gold is a good cash ore for medium-high level miners. (i.e. 55-85)

Well I was speaking more of F2P mining. F2P mining currently sucks like [cabbage], with absolutely horrible mining spots, especially for higher-level rocks like gold, mithril and adamantite (Not rune, rune's price is worth the trouble).

Mining's goal is to SUPPLY SMITHING WITH ORES. The two skills are inter-connected, and not separate entities. If mining sucks, smithing will suck and vice versa.

Please don't try to flame me for being a F2P beggar or what-not. If Jagex is going to introduce a new skill into F2P, they might as well fix the old skills first.

I hate to be "that guy," but as a free player, your problems are mostly immaterial, as I'm pretty sure that everyone here, OP included, are talking about P2P mining. If you're going to throw your opinions out there, you need to specify that you're f2p. Your problems are not the same as our problems.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I hate to be "that guy," but as a free player, your problems are mostly immaterial, as I'm pretty sure that everyone here, OP included, are talking about P2P mining. If you're going to throw your opinions out there, you need to specify that you're f2p. Your problems are not the same as our problems.

The lack of good mithril/adamantite mining spots is prevalent throughout F2P/P2P mining. According to the OP anyway.

The OP is very stubborn and has ignored the amazing gold ores and coal ores living caverns update. This single update has made mining popular

And you've ignored the fact that this was also posted about 3 months before this LRC update.

While "crash" isn't quite appropriate (however the 1-2 days right after the update did see a huge plummet), the prices of gold ore have definitely been dropping down by a steady amount.

There seriously needs to be concentrated Mithril and Adamantite. Both would require 83 and 86 Mining, respectively.

That is, if we are following the level-up pattern. Concentrated Runite should be 90 Mining, maybe?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

There seriously needs to be concentrated Mithril and Adamantite. Both would require 83 and 86 Mining, respectively.

That is, if we are following the level-up pattern. Concentrated Runite should be 90 Mining, maybe?

I don't know anything about this "concentrated" stuff, but if you mean multiple ores per rock than I think it'll be fine.

I don't know anything about this "concentrated" stuff, but if you mean multiple ores per rock than I think it'll be fine.

Living Rock Caverns

Yeah, it basically means multiple ores per rock.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Living Rock Caverns

Yeah, it basically means multiple ores per rock.

Ok. I'm so ignorant about member's stuff :lol: