Mining Sucks (round 2)

Makoto_the_Phoenix

I dont think making multiple ores per rock would go well with those high lvl miners. "All our hard work was wasted! And now the mining cape has lost most of it's respect!"

Who cares a [bleep] about high level players? A skillcape is to show your level 99 in a skill, not how you got it. If I got to level 99 mining with a bronze pickaxe and tin ore, do I deserve more respect than someone who did it with a rune pickaxe and iron/coal ore? No. You can boast, sure, but who'd listen?

Once again, great thread. :thumbsup:

Right, I haven't checked out this thread in a while after I first posted, but I was just saying that we'd get a lot of whining, you know? On the topic of respect for picaxes, I'm agreeing with you.

Staurolite.png

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the point here is NOT, I repeat NOT about profit. It's that mining sucks and it doesn't serve its purpose. Many people have misinterpreted this. Mining DOES NOT serve its purpose as a skill to supply raw materials for smiths, whereas woodcutting does. Logs might sell out slowly, but that problem is because there's not as much demand on the firemaking side, not because woodcutting doesn't serve its purpose. Mining, on the other hand, can earn a lot of money, but the demand is more than the supply, except for some ores like coal, ESPECIALLY for ores like mithril, adamantite and rune.

I know that, and i agree with that. Mith and Addy are both horridly slow to mine.

But i don't think theres ever been a time where i couldn't buy an ore i wanted on mid price.

Profit is not the scope of this rant. Who cares about profit when Mining has its own purpose, anyway?

I'm agreeing that mith and addy should have multiple ore per rock, but im sick of people (quelmotz) saying that mining is suddenly a crap skill thats really crap and hard to train and doesn't have good profit until you get rune.

Facts are, mining is better on most counts than other gathering skills such as woodcutting and fishing.

O.O

Yeah, mining IS a crap skill.

Profit is important, but as makoto already said, it isn't the scope of the rant.

Define "better". What? Profit again.

That's what I mean.

Mining can earn more $$$, but who cares if it doesn't even serve its purpose of supplying ores for smiths?

I dont think making multiple ores per rock would go well with those high lvl miners. "All our hard work was wasted! And now the mining cape has lost most of it's respect!"

Who cares a [bleep] about high level players? A skillcape is to show your level 99 in a skill, not how you got it. If I got to level 99 mining with a bronze pickaxe and tin ore, do I deserve more respect than someone who did it with a rune pickaxe and iron/coal ore? No. You can boast, sure, but who'd listen?

Once again, great thread. :thumbsup:

Right, I haven't checked out this thread in a while after I first posted, but I was just saying that we'd get a lot of whining, you know? On the topic of respect for picaxes, I'm agreeing with you.

I know. Whining is pointless. It'll blow over after a while. Let them whine, no one will care.

Profit is important, but as makoto already said, it isn't the scope of the rant.

That's what I mean.

Mining can earn more $$$, but who cares if it doesn't even serve its purpose of supplying ores for smiths?

Its not a crap skill, its a hard and inefficient skill, but hardly crap.

Better profit at 30 mining than at high 80 wcing and fishing has got to mean something. From an individual players perspective it is BETTER than woodcutting and fishing.

The individual player could not care less if mining dose not "serve its purpose" they only care about profit, and ease, P ess is easy, AND gives good profit. While at the same time getting 85 mining and mining rune is hard as hell, but GREAT profit.

I think mining has a little from every end of the spectrum.

Just because its "not the scope of the rant" hardly means it dosent apply, it is a good skill in general.

O.O

Mining is one of my favorites. Sadly it is very unprofitable and a toil to train...I would be all for a change.

85 mining is the fastest way to make money in the game, p2p or f2p. You can EASILY get a mil an hour, and thats in the wildy mine...

JacTheRipper.png

Ha ha. Let's look at the time taken to get to 85 mining before we start talking about it being "easy".

That's what I mean.

Its not a crap skill, its a hard and inefficient skill, but hardly crap.

Better profit at 30 mining than at high 80 wcing and fishing has got to mean something. From an individual players perspective it is BETTER than woodcutting and fishing.

The individual player could not care less if mining dose not "serve its purpose" they only care about profit, and ease, P ess is easy, AND gives good profit. While at the same time getting 85 mining and mining rune is hard as hell, but GREAT profit.

I think mining has a little from every end of the spectrum.

Just because its "not the scope of the rant" hardly means it dosent apply, it is a good skill in general.

All your points are true, but once again, you're comparing P2P to F2P if I'm not wrong. Ignore this if you're not referring to P2P vs F2P.

Mining is a good money maker for the individual player, but it's still not a very good skill BECAUSE it takes an incredibly large amount of effort to get to a reasonable mining level. Even level 60 mining is irritatingly hard for F2P.

Im comparing p2p mining to p2p woodcutting/fishing. To be honest, its great in comparison, the only exception is if your doing mining/wc just for the cape, in which WC might be better.

In f2p woodcutting is superior to mining in most aspects, though fishing is still left in the dark. This does not mean its a crap skill.

Yes, 60 mining is very hard but if you can make good money at 30 mining and even 1 mining (clay) then who needs a higher level?

O.O

Yeah, true, but back to the matter here, the problem is there are a lot of rocks for near-useless ores like tin, copper and clay, but there are near zero rocks for more useful and valuable ores like mithril and adamantite.

Well, it makes sense that stronger ore is rarer and harder to find than weaker ore.

I think the problem is monsters dropping large amounts of almost every ore, which makes mining a pretty crap way to get ores.

True.

But the true problem of mining as a whole, is that Smithing sucks. As long as smithing sucks, mining sucks too.

Well, it makes sense that stronger ore is rarer and harder to find than weaker ore.

I think the problem is monsters dropping large amounts of almost every ore, which makes mining a pretty crap way to get ores.

True.

But the true problem of mining as a whole, is that Smithing sucks. As long as smithing sucks, mining sucks too.

Ha ha.

Firemaking sucks, doesn't it? It isn't easy to get level 99 firemaking compared to some others, because there's no burn-x. So explain to me why woodcutting doesn't "suck".

I got 85 mining in F2p by powermining iron ores, it was truly brutal and I couldn't do too much at a time so it took months to finally get it, on May 15, 2009.

No regrets getting it though, awesome advantage to have.

F2p Hints~

When you get 85 mining,

Acquire some non-used accounts --> Ask some friends or make some lvl 3's, or use some pure acc's or whatever, and take those accounts with like an inventory of food and some mage defence from Rev's, to Rune Rocks.

This way you won't have to wait 35-40 Seconds to world hop and log onto empty worlds 50% of the time.

With 2 or 3 "rune rock scouts" you can hop worlds every 10 seconds with waiting which means you sorta find runites 3x faster than if you only had 1 account.

Also, try mining in some worlds that are in other language, it's a bit difficult to navigate the site in other languages but you'll get used to it after a while.

2 Internet browsers work best, with a scout on each browser.

Also, configure your timezone, with others. Certain parts of the day, like 3 EST which is 8-10 in Europe, means tons of people are online and playing RS, so Runites would be harder to find then.

Such as 8 EST, is only like 7 or 9 AM for Australian timezone so alot of them are asleep, and people in Europe are in bed as it's 1-3 AM for them.

Bring around 10 Quality Food I'd say(such as Pizzas, lobsters, swordfishes), and maxed mage defence bonuses (Full Green Dhide, defence ammy, boots, magic staff(on focus, defence mode), Explorer's Ring (3))

Hope Helps ^^ Don't give up, you could go like 10 or 12 worlds at a time sometimes and not find ores, other times you could find 7 worlds in a row.

van_sig.png

True.

Ha ha.

Firemaking sucks, doesn't it? It isn't easy to get level 99 firemaking compared to some others, because there's no burn-x. So explain to me why woodcutting doesn't "suck".

Because of fletching. If Mining had another production skill besides smithing that was very quick to buy to lvl 99, mining would be reborn as it is now.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

True.

Ha ha.

Because of fletching. If Mining had another production skill besides smithing that was very quick to buy to lvl 99, mining would be reborn as it is now.

Exacly, fletching is one of the easiest 99's, and firemaking is also a 99 that lots of people try to get ( not to mention people firemaking for adze). Same situation for fishing and cooking.

Now, for smithing, most people just smith for quests and never train it again, because smithing makes you loose money. A lot.

If there were a lot more advantages to smithing to the point where it was a respectable skill, more people would buy ores to make bars and smith, and mining would be a better skill overall. Yayz.

And also,

Woodcutting DOES suck.

Horrid cash, half the logs are considered junk.

But it has 2 skills which use it. Firemaking and Fletching. And fletching is a lovely skill

You like the grind in mining?!

Hell, even 60 mining got me insane, and you like the grind of the skill?!

Besides smithing being bad... the other problems with mining, as other people here said, is that even though Pure ess and Rune ore are great moneymaking ways, training it is insanely annoying. If smithing wasn't that bad and addy/mith ores were better because of that, mining theese would be worth it and mining as a whole would be waay better.

We need more good money-making ways with mining between the levels 30 and 85 that are decent experience ( not higher than how mining xp/hour is atm, but good)... So that even though mining still takes an enourmous amount of effort to get to high level, it's worth it :roll:

People are really strange. How could wasting your life away pursuing some stupid virtual number "99" be ENJOYABLE? It's not like you're having fun while trying to get to 99.

We need more good money-making ways with mining between the levels 30 and 85 that are decent experience ( not higher than how mining xp/hour is atm, but good)... So that even though mining still takes an enourmous amount of effort to get to high level, it's worth it :roll:

:thumbup: +1

How could wasting your life away pursuing some stupid virtual number "99" be ENJOYABLE?

Maybe because its not exactly "wasting your life away"

And you get some nubs saying "nice cape" once your done.

You seem to keep thinking everything in runescape is useless, but if its fun, its not any more a waste of time than going to a party, or some other form of "fun"

O.O

How could wasting your life away pursuing some stupid virtual number "99" be ENJOYABLE?

Maybe because its not exactly "wasting your life away"

And you get some nubs saying "nice cape" once your done.

You seem to keep thinking everything in runescape is useless, but if its fun, its not any more a waste of time than going to a party, or some other form of "fun"

I never said EVERYTHING was useless. I said GRINDING at some stupid skill is pointless. There's no point in wasting your life away trying to get a skill. You're playing to have fun, NOT to grind away at some skill, which is NOT enjoyable at all.

And so what if some nubs say "nice cape"? They'll immediately beg you "3m0+ez Pl0x!" after that.