Riddle me this....

Robert_de_Sable

This may actually be a topic where no one will yell at me. :o I know. Can you believe it?

Post your best riddles here! I love these things.

The only rule I would like to state is that if you already know the answer, please, please, please don't ruin it.

To reply, just quote the other person and put your writing in bold next to theirs in the quote.

So, a few to start off:

[hide=A fork in the road (doomsavenger)]You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. Sitting on a bench are two people. One of them always tells the truth, while the other always lies. What ONE (the word "one" is emphazied for a reason :P ) question can you ask that will give you the correct way to go?[/hide]

[hide=What color hat? (unsolved)]Three men are tied up and sat down in chairs. Their heads are fixed in a position that results in this: The first man sees only straight ahead. The second man sees only the first man, and the third man sees only the other two. None can see themselves. Their captors say that if any of the men can tell them what color hat he is wearing, all three men will be set free. Their are four hats; two black, and two white, the men are told. However, only three of those hats are being worn, so it could be two black and one white or one black and two white. Which one of the men answers, and why?[/hide]

[hide=A cabin in the woods (unsolved)]This one is especially hard, and you'll DEFINITELY need to ask questions in order to get it.

There is a cabin in the middle of the woods. In the cabin, a man lies dead. There are three hooks on the wall-- the kind used for hanging clothes, not killing-- and a deck of cards on the table. How did he die?[/hide]

GOOD LUCK

[English translation needed]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could get yelled at if this turns out to belong in forum games. Probably not, though, we've had riddle threads before. I'm working on the second one, and I think I've almost got it. The 4 hats thing screwed me up, though.

Edit: question, can the men talk to each other?

Edit 2: never mind, I think I got it

[hide=possible solution]The first man, because only he can see anything else, and it's really the captors wearing the hats, not the men.[/hide]

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

You could get yelled at if this turns out to belong in forum games. Probably not, though, we've had riddle threads before. I'm working on the second one, and I think I've almost got it. The 4 hats thing screwed me up, though.

It's a red herring. ;)

[hide]From the wording of the second one, I'd say the 3rd man answers.

Because you state that it can be 2 of black, and 1 of white, or 2 of white and 1 of black. You do not state that they can all wear the same hat.

As for the first, I'm assuming it's two directions, so you pick on and ask

"If I asked the other if [direction] was the correct way, would he tell the truth?"

I can't exactly explain my reasoning though, though it seemed to make sense.[/hide]

EDIT: Hiding it all then.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

From the wording of the second one, I'd say the 3rd man answers.

Because you state that it can be 2 of black, and 1 of white, or 2 of white and 1 of black. You do not state that they can all wear the same hat.

That explanation is wrong, and I won't comment on whether or not the actual answer is correct.

[hide=possible solution]The first man, because only he can see anything else, and it's really the captors wearing the hats, not the men.[/hide]

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

[hide=A fork in the road (unsolved)]You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. Sitting on a bench are two people. One of them always tells the truth, while the other always lies. What ONE (the word "one" is emphazied for a reason :P ) question can you ask that will give you the correct way to go?[/hide]

[hide=]Ask them what side of the road they are on. Example: The lier is on the left, truther (lol) is on the right. If the lier says he's on the right, he's clearly lying.[/hide]

[hide=What color hat? (unsolved)]Three men are tied up and sat down in chairs. Their heads are fixed in a position that results in this: The first man sees only straight ahead. The second man sees only the first man, and the third man sees only the other two. None can see themselves. Their captors say that if any of the men can tell them what color hat he is wearing, all three men will be set free. Their are four hats; two black, and two white, the men are told. However, only three of those hats are being worn, so it could be two black and one white or one black and two white. Which one of the men answers, and why?[/hide]

[hide=]The second man answers.

The first one will see nothing, so his answer is invalid.

The third man can see, say, a black and white hat. His answer is also invalid, as it would be a guess.

Since the second man can see 2 hats, and was unsure, he can deduce he saw a black and white hat. He looks at the third man and can see a white hat. Since he can see a white hat, and know the other man saw a white and black hat, he answers white.[/hide]

[hide=A cabin in the woods (unsolved)]This one is especially hard, and you'll DEFINITELY need to ask questions in order to get it.

There is a cabin in the middle of the woods. In the cabin, a man lies dead. There are three hooks on the wall-- the kind used for hanging clothes, not killing-- and a deck of cards on the table. How did he die?[/hide]

[hide=]He tripped and bumped his head on the table? I don't know. Was there anything else in the cabin?[/hide]

[hide=A fork in the road (unsolved)]You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. Sitting on a bench are two people. One of them always tells the truth, while the other always lies. What ONE (the word "one" is emphazied for a reason :P ) question can you ask that will give you the correct way to go?

Are you a liar? The liar would have no answer, so the world would implode and there would be no more fork.[/hide]

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Oh, heres a riddle I made up.

There is a crime scene investigation. A woman was killed by several punches to the head. This is the following interview with a man, who claims it was self defense:

Me and her were sleeping in beds accross from eachother in seperate beds. She woke me up in the middle of my fantasitic dream to tell me to stop snoring, that I'd been doing it nonstop for hours. I got angry at her, and told her to stop bugging me. She attacked me, so I hit her back. I didn't mean to kill her.

Using the info provided, is the man lying?

[hide=A fork in the road (unsolved)]You are traveling and come to a fork in the road. Sitting on a bench are two people. One of them always tells the truth, while the other always lies. What ONE (the word "one" is emphazied for a reason :P ) question can you ask that will give you the correct way to go?

Are you a liar? The liar would have no answer, so the world would implode and there would be no more fork.[/hide]

Ah, your right. No way he would answer "No"!. :P

Just kiddin around.

No correct answers yet.

The point of the fork in the road is that you have only one question to ask, and you need to know which way to go. Whether you know which one of them lies is irrelevant. If you ask your question (kirby), you still don't know which way to go.

Kirby, no comment on the correctness of your answer, but your logic is incorrect.

Kirby, he hit his head multiple times on multiple things.

Yes, he is lying. He didn't need to hit her multiple times.

Or you know, he just lies to you and says "No."

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

No correct answers yet.

The point of the fork in the road is that you have only one question to ask, and you need to know which way to go. Whether you know which one of them lies is irrelevant. If you ask your question (kirby), you still don't know which way to go.

Kirby, no comment on the correctness of your answer, but your logic is incorrect.

Kirby, he hit his head multiple times on multiple things.

Yes, he is lying. He didn't need to hit her multiple times.

Ugh, I just got owned >.<

Oh!

[hide=]Ask one to ask the other where he would go, then to tell you. The question would be "Could you please ask him which way to go? Then relay the information to me." Although it is two statements, it is one question, and one request. Say the lier asks the truth teller, and the truth teller says "right". The lier will then tell you "he said left".[/hide]

Ohhh so close. You can only perform one action.

You said one question. So, I was right, but not the answer you were looking for ;) .

PS: Try and solve my riddle I posed a while back.

"This was told at school"

Which means you already knew the answer. Take out your post please, and don't ruin it for other people.

I still worked the answer out myself, regardless of whether or not I had heard the riddle before.

You knew the answer before this thread.

Ergo, you accomplished less logical thinking regarding this riddle since this thread started than everyone else. Take it down.

Ohhh so close. You can only perform one action.

You said one question. So, I was right, but not the answer you were looking for ;) .

If you want to be technical about it :P

PS: Try and solve my riddle I posed a while back.

I did post an answer. Take a look.