Hegemony-V2 begins page 302

fastortoise

[hide]

For the mideval thread, I'm formally "dibs"ing control over the Native Americans. Basically the United States.

I've got control of south america, Icuownage has north america.

I hope all you people that are claiming locations in NA/SA realize that you'll be stuck there for the game with no way of participating in any of the stuff that's going on in Europe/Asia/Africa (aka where most of the meat of the game will be).

Theres boats....

...and the Arctic.

[/hide]

And freezing to death...

...and dressing enough.

-Sorry about the double post.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wisp

• Nero

• Seraphi

• archimage_a

[hide]

For the mideval thread, I'm formally "dibs"ing control over the Native Americans. Basically the United States.

I hope all you people that are claiming locations in NA/SA realize that you'll be stuck there for the game with no way of participating in any of the stuff that's going on in Europe/Asia/Africa (aka where most of the meat of the game will be).

Theres boats....

That cannot cross the atlantic....

[/hide]

But... I can build a big one.

I'll fight Icu.

Big one would just fall apart. Really, Erik only got to the Americas by pure luck, and that was in a boat made in 800+ AD (iirc).

Not luck, knowledge. Eirik the Red crossed the Atlantic by taking a small detour by Greenland in order to avoid the "ship eating worms" aka. big waves, and the vikings were the most skilled shipbuilders of their time.

And yes, I'm proud of my ancestors.

Yes but he had no idea there was actually land that way. So, either he was suicidal in sailing that way, or extremely lucky. Since he survived, I'd say lucky.

...and dressing enough.

The point that's being made is that hypthetically, sure, you could get to Europe; it would take a lot of deaths and a lot of boats, but it could be done. BUT. There's no way you could actually participate in whats going on in Europe and Asia. So, no trade routes, no technology sharing, no way to send armies, nothing. It would be waaay too expensive.

[hide]

[hide]

Theres boats....

...and the Arctic.

[/hide]

And freezing to death...

...and dressing enough.

[/hide]

And getting eaten by polar bears which incidentally are one of the few animals that actively stalk people.

LNYvk.png

[hide]

Theres boats....

[/hide]

I'll fight Icu.

Big one would just fall apart. Really, Erik only got to the Americas by pure luck, and that was in a boat made in 800+ AD (iirc).

Not luck, knowledge. Eirik the Red crossed the Atlantic by taking a small detour by Greenland in order to avoid the "ship eating worms" aka. big waves, and the vikings were the most skilled shipbuilders of their time.

South America --> Europe longer than Norway/Iceland/Greenland --> America

What?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

[hide]

Theres boats....

[/hide]

I'll fight Icu.

South America --> Europe longer than Norway/Iceland/Greenland --> America

What? I don't understand.

meatlover.png

[hide]

Theres boats....

[/hide]

I'll fight Icu.

Yes but he had no idea there was actually land that way. So, either he was suicidal in sailing that way, or extremely lucky. Since he survived, I'd say lucky.

Actually he knew there was land there, he landed in what is now Newfoundland(therefore the name) with enough men left to fight of some Indian tribes.

[hide]

[hide]

Theres boats....

...and the Arctic.

[/hide]

And freezing to death...

...and dressing enough.

[/hide]

And getting eaten by polar bears which incidentally are one of the few animals that actively stalk people.

And bringing tamed animals and bows.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Actually he knew there was land there, he landed in what is now Newfoundland(therefore the name) with enough men left to fight of some Indian tribes.

It was named Newfoundland because he had just found it. :unsure:

Yes, new-found land, I belive that was the name he chose, or rather ny-funn land(new-find land).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yes, new-found land, I belive that was the name he chose, or rather ny-funn land(new-find land).

The Icelanders later sentenced Erik to a three-year exile for several murders around the year 982. According to The Saga of Erik the Red, his neighbour Thorgest borrowed a shovel and when it did not come back to Erik, he sought an explanation. When Thorgest refused to return it, Erik stole the shovel back. In the ensuing chase, he killed Thorgest. A second crime laid at Erik's door occurred when he insisted upon revenge for the deaths of his slaves who had "accidentally started a landslide" on Valthjof's farm. Valthjof murderously punished the slaves for this misfortune. Erik did not take kindly to this and so slew Valthjof. The Icelanders eventually convicted Erik of these murders and banished him from Iceland.

Haha.

Are we still using a real map? I remember hearing something about a fictional map.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

The Icelanders later sentenced Erik to a three-year exile for several murders around the year 982. According to The Saga of Erik the Red, his neighbour Thorgest borrowed a shovel and when it did not come back to Erik, he sought an explanation. When Thorgest refused to return it, Erik stole the shovel back. In the ensuing chase, he killed Thorgest. A second crime laid at Erik's door occurred when he insisted upon revenge for the deaths of his slaves who had "accidentally started a landslide" on Valthjof's farm. Valthjof murderously punished the slaves for this misfortune. Erik did not take kindly to this and so slew Valthjof. The Icelanders eventually convicted Erik of these murders and banished him from Iceland.

Haha.

Never trust the translation of a translation.

Eirik Torvaldsson ble født på Jæren, antakelig Sola i Norge en gang rundt år 950 som sønn av Thorvald Åsvaldsson. Fra Eirik Raudes saga vet vi at Torvald var sønn av Åsvald, som igjen var sønn av Ulv, og som igjen var sønn av Øksna-Tore. Faren Torvald var blitt lyst fredløs i Norge for noen drap rundt 960. De seilte derfor fra Norge og bosatte seg på Island. De tok land på Hornstrandene og bodde på Drangar. Her døde Torvald noen år senere.

Som far så sønn, for i 982 ble Eirik Raude lyst fredløs på Island. I henhold til den sagaen som bærer hans navn kom trellene til Eirik til å løse ut et skred over gården til naboen som deretter drepte trellene. Eirik drepte derfor naboen, og i tillegg en mann med det fryktinngytende navnet Holmgange-Ravn ved Leikskålar. Det ble reist sak mot Eirik og han ble dømt til å flytte fra stedet. Det neste året havnet han i en krangel om noen benkestokker han hadde lånt bort og ville ha igjen fra en mann ved navn Torgest eller Torgjest.

I kampen som fulgte falt Torgests to sønner og noen andre. Etter det ble Eirik dømt fredløs på tinget. Han bestemte seg da for å seile ut og finne det land som Gunnbjørn Ulvsson hadde sett da han kom av kurs vest for Island. Eirik satte ut til havs fra Snæfjellsjøkelen.

Eirik Torvaldsson was born on Jæren, probably Sola in Norway sometime around 950, the son of Thorvald Asvaldsson. From Eirik the Red's Saga, we know that Torvald was the son of Åsvald, which in turn was the son of Ulv, and which in turn was the son of Øksnes-Tore. His father Thorvald were outlawed in Norway for some killing around 960 They therefore sailed from Norway and settled in Iceland. They took the country on the Horn Tran weather and stayed at Drangar. There Thorvald died some years later.

Like father like son, for in 982, Erik the Red was outlawed in Iceland. According to the saga that bears his name came slaves to Eirik to release an avalanche over the farm to a neighbor who then killed the slaves. Eirik slew therefore neighbor and also a man with the intimidating name of a duel-Raven at Leikskålar. It was built case against Erik, and he was ordered to move from the site. The next year he was caught up in an argument about some bench sticks his loan and would have left from a man named Torgest or Torgjest.

In the fight that followed fell Torgests two sons and a few others. After it was Eirik sentenced outlawed at the Thing. He then decided to sail out and find the country that Gunnbjörn Ulfsson had seen when he came of course to the west of Iceland. Erik set out to sea from Snæfjellsjøkelen.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Are we still using a real map? I remember hearing something about a fictional map.

We're not using a fictional map.

we're using the real world map but someone needs to get rid of the borders first.

[hide=]800px-World_map_blank_without_borders.svg.png[/hide]

Well that was hard.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Ok first, you can't have south america. Or north america. That would be like me saying "Ok guys, I have europe". Pick one tribe. You want some of NA? Try the Iroquois, or Aztecs. Want some of SA? Try the Incas.

Here's the current breakup of my budget:

22%: Naval Production and upkeep

33%: Completion of project CAD

25%: Reinforcing habitats and building static defenses on the upper levels

5%: Air Force and Army Upkeep

15%: Other research and production

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

In medieval I'll have the vikings. :thumbsup:

Sere already claimed them like 3 times. (ninja'd by grim...)

North/South American isn't even a culture, so I have no clue where that idea even came from. There are also the Mayans if anyone wants to make doomsday predictions.

I'm considering abandoning China, I'm starting to like the idea of the Polynesians, Huns or Celts.

And if people complain about resource distribution being unfair, that's how it went down in real life...You just have to work what you have to your advantage. Oh, and I believe a key point of the new war system is that tactics will be just as important, if not more, than what units you have.

doublesmileyface1.png

North/South American isn't even a culture, so I have no clue where that idea even came from. There are also the Mayans if anyone wants to make doomsday predictions.

I'm considering abandoning China, I'm starting to like the idea of the Polynesians, Huns or Celts.

And if people complain about resource distribution being unfair, that's how it went down in real life...You just have to work what you have to your advantage. Oh, and I believe a key point of the new war system is that tactics will be just as important, if not more, than what units you have.

Thing is, there are a few areas where people would have huge advantages. Tactics aside, 168 conquistadors conquered the Inca empire.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Please abandon china I want room to grow... Also I am just saying that you should do a bit of research before choosing where you settle.

LNYvk.png

Thing is, there are a few areas where people would have huge advantages. Tactics aside, 168 conquistadors conquered the Inca empire.

That's true, but without tech development (?), things like that probably won't happen.

And grim, clarify? Or were you talking to Mather...? (I'm talking about the second half, I might just take northern China if I end up staying there)

doublesmileyface1.png

And also, the idea of no research is sorta dumb. The entire ancient-medieval era was an arms race. For example, Mesopotamians conquered Egypt because of chariots. The ones with chariots were the strongest for a while until someone else got chariots. The Europeans dominated the native americans for centuries because of their better technology.

A crossbow beats a longbow, whoever first developed crossbows dominated until someone else got something better.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain