What's wrong with private servers?

Gerbil

JaGEx has to be well aware that at least 99.9% of their updates meet with some kind of resistance, and that they cannot satisfy all player's wishes at one time while still keeping updates and fixes coming.

Yet, with their usuall "Go to BLEEP" approach to customer relations, they attempt to sue anyone they find attempting to do without their idiotic updates, have some of the things they haven't gotten around to yet, or simply PK the old way! Or maybe even just play RSC!

tl;dr: Why is JGX suing private servers?

Ever hear of something called "copyright infringement"? Just because Jagex hasn't done stellar updates (according to the gospel known as yourself), that doesn't give anyone the right to just up and steal intellectual property.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

First off, your little imaginary conversation with MMG is ridiculous. Why do people think he decides everything. He's simply the CEO. He might make the final decisions, but there are a bunch of people below him who actually make the changes.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

according to the gospel known as yourself

Don't tell me you've never thought JaGEx had a brain fart. And even if there is no good reason to run a private RS2 server, what about RSC?

By JGX's logic, anyone born 1991 or later, who didn't lie about their age while RSC was public, can burn in BLEEP for all they care.

If you can keep this discussion Private server based i won't lock this, but from where im sitting, it looks like you just want to rant about MMG.

There are a couple of reasons why Jagex don't like Private servers that i can think of off the top of my head.

1. They are illegal, Runescape is a Copyrighted product, if you made a game, would you want people copying it and letting people use it for free?

2. Security. It is a massive security risk for any player who uses them. God knows what 'extras' they could add into the game, and i also bet numerous people use their runescape acc and pass aswell on them.

Also, please can you give some proof of that chat with MMG, if not i will remove it, as it's just random flame, and it's unfair to him, and to anybody that looks here and think's its real.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

If you can keep this discussion Private server based i won't lock this, but from where im sitting, it looks like you just want to rant about MMG.

There are a couple of reasons why Jagex don't like Privae server that i can think of off the top of my head.

1. They are illegal, Runescape is a Copyrighted product, if you made a game, would you want people copying it and letting people use it for free?

2. Security. It is a massive security risk for any player who uses them. God knows what 'extras' they could add into the game, and i also bet numerous people use their runescape acc and pass aswell on them.

Also, please can you give some proof of that chat with MMG, if not i will remove it, as it's just random flame, and it's unfair to him, and to anybody that looks here and think's its real.

I was making a point but if you don't want a point made I'll save you the trouble.

I'd also like to add, it's not nice to add 'Generic british comments' at the end, especially when the mod viewing it is British ;)

I do not beleive it made any point whatsoever, now if you wish to discuss Jagex's policy on Private servers, it would be nice not to single out one CEO member.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

There are a couple of reasons why Jagex don't like Privae server that i can think of off the top of my head.

I was making a point but if you don't want a point made I'll save you the trouble.

Nice Martyr attitude. If someone disagrees you don't have to assume they're wrong. Jagex isn't all bad, and the closer you come to realizing this the less angered you'll be.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

acutaly jagex is full fo [cabbage] because they arent illegal if they are emulated, by the law of copyright laws they cant sue if its made from reverse engineer it just cannot be the orginal files nor can they edit the official client, which they dont.. so they cannot press charges, and if anyone wishes to debate me on this lmao im not even gonna read your post as ive been to court 3 times for runnin ragnarok servers and won every time

Congrats on piracy, you must feel really special

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

acutaly jagex is full fo [cabbage] because they arent illegal if they are emulated, by the law of copyright laws they cant sue if its made from reverse engineer it just cannot be the orginal files nor can they edit the official client, which they dont.. so they cannot press charges, and if anyone wishes to debate me on this lmao im not even gonna read your post as ive been to court 3 times for runnin ragnarok servers and won every time

All private servers were produced from a reverse engineered RuneScape client.

All private servers require the use of a reverse engineered and modified RuneScape client.

Hey, watcha talkin' 'bout Sam?

ozXHe7P.png

actually the only file you edit in the client, is the .bat, which isnt a copywritten file as .bat is a public extension and you can make your own aka not modifying the client 1 bit

From this I know you don't know what you're talking about.

There is no ".bat" for the client. That ".bat" probably just runs the already-modified client via Java, so a user doesn't have to go on the command line and type "java super-awesome-runescape-client.jar"

The client is terribly modified in private servers. The RuneScape client would not let one connect to anything but Jagex servers.

ozXHe7P.png

um thats because your talking about those [cabbage] [wagon] [ForbiddenSite] servers, which i am not, gtfo im not even gotten open this topic due to the idiots... failure tipit members ftw...

Hmm? You just don't understand.

Any private server in existence requires the use of a modified RuneScape client. Jagex's official client would refuse to connect to anything but Jagex servers.

A ".bat" file, 'btw,' is a batch script. This originated in MS-DOS and the purpose was to execute a bunch of commands. The RuneScape client does not come with a .bat--it comes with nothing but the .jar and the cache.

ozXHe7P.png

[bleep]ing troll. You need to research and provide evidence of your accusations and facts. You have no [bleep]ing idea what goes on behind JaGEx's doors. Don't flame their customer support. 200 people deal with 2 million idiots who flame them over stupid stuff that wasn't their fault. Please at least find one piece of evidence that supports any one of your facts.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

What's wrong with private servers? They are against the law (even though copyright and patent laws are among some of the most backwards and disgusting that exist).

There are a couple of reasons why Jagex don't like Private servers that i can think of off the top of my head.

Your second point isn't really an issue due to a special branch of engineering called "reverse". I remember once a scammer posted a program to steal players' passwords on the Tip.It forums. Much to his frustration (and earlier claims that it was "encrypted and protected"), I replied with his source code.

actually the only file you edit in the client, is the .bat, which isnt a copywritten file as .bat is a public extension and you can make your own aka not modifying the client 1 bit

Most of the time I respond with a technical answer. Tonight, my response will instead be: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL thank you for allowing me to go to bed happy tonight.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

JaGEx has to be well aware that at least 99.9% of their updates meet with some kind of resistance, and that they cannot satisfy all player's wishes at one time while still keeping updates and fixes coming.

Yeah, not all of Jagex's updates are popular, but you must realize that anything they do is for our good.

Yet, with their usuall "Go to BLEEP" approach to customer relations, they attempt to sue anyone they find attempting to do without their idiotic updates, have some of the things they haven't gotten around to yet, or simply PK the old way! Or maybe even just play RSC!

If I was Jagex I would just throw away any sort of customer relations request that is clearly written by a testosterone enraged teenager whos best argument is 'I dont like ur updates! gimme pking bak or i quit, pay to pk!"

You know you can wander your way to the Suggestions Forum on the RSOF and logicly post a reasonable way to fix what you perceive as a bad update.

Don't tell me you've never thought JaGEx had a brain fart. And even if there is no good reason to run a private RS2 server, what about RSC? By JGX's logic, anyone born 1991 or later, who didn't lie about their age while RSC was public, can burn in BLEEP for all they care.

a) They did not have that 13+ rule until later, not too sure but I thought it was in RS2

B) I has been confirmed thousands of time that Jagex is creating RSC with cheats so just wait and do it legaly next year rather then just using an illegal server.

Would you let your kids eat candy before bed? NO. Why? because you know it is not good for them. Kids seem to think whatever they want is right and they fail to use logic. This is how Jagex feels. They make updates that are good for us but all we want is that sugar coated update with all the free gp and killing players.